Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » My brilliant new Beast Boy theory!!!! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My brilliant new Beast Boy theory!!!!
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Inspired by my thinking about Heroes of Lallor: The Movie (and that thread certainly took off), I think I've come up with an interesting theory.

Now, we first met the Heroes of Lallor as "The Legion of Super-Outlaws", when they are tricked by Dr. Marden King into fighting the Legion. King wanted revenge on the Legion for the death of his brother, Monster Master (Jungle King). Monster Master had fought the Legion with his ability to control animals.

The second time we encounter the Heroes of Lallor, one of their number, Beast Boy, who has the power to assume the form of animals, has turned against humanity and the Legion must track him down. Here's the point: What if Marden King shared (in at least a limited way) his brother ability to manipulate animals, and the lingering effect of this was to cause Beast Boy to turn evil?

Okay, you're right. It probably was just the fact that he couldn't get a date that turned him bad.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I wonder if this thread will take off?

Seriously though, I prostrate myself before your brilliance!

This is an incredible way to neatly tie up that 4-decades-old plot! I just KNEW there was someelement missing! Better than even your Star Boy/Calamity King theory!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Balderdash!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

(choose the response you like best!)

[BeastBoy]

--------------------

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Great ideas do not always get immediate acceptance, EDE!

This is something like those murders which are only solved years after they occurred, or the unjustly accused, vindicated after decades in jail. It takes a devoted seeker of truth to persist in explaining the past.

And a longer memory than mine! I'll have to go check the archives- I do have a vague recollection of some heroic deeds of tragic proportions in this story, so it certainly is worth reviving!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
EDE, what is your Star Boy/Calamity King theory? Where can I find this piece of briallance?!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
This is an incredible way to neatly tie up that 4-decades-old plot! I just KNEW there was someelement missing! Better than even your Star Boy/Calamity King theory!

Hey, ever hear of the Bierbaums? They got to write to book with zany ideas like this!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
EDE, what is your Star Boy/Calamity King theory? Where can I find this piece of briallance?!

Do you really want to get me started, Cobie? [Wink]
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Yes. [CalamityKing]
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Well, basically, it all starts with Cham kissing Ayla, which may explain why I've never particularly cared for that coupling. You see, in Adv. #342, the Legionnaires are using the big computer to see who'd have the most fun kissing whom. They invite Star Boy to join them, but he declines due to his lovelorn longing for Dream Girl, and chooses instead to go out to greet the new applicants for the Legion tryouts.

There, as can be seen in the flashback in Adv. #343, he meets Calamity King, who tells him his powers. Star Boy says, "A regular jinx, eh? Well, I'm not afraid to shake your hand!" He befriends the nervous applicant, who soon tries out for the Legion and is rejected! Star Boy then leaves on a trip to visit his parents, which leads to him killing Kenz Nuhor and being expelled from the Legion!

After being expelled from the Legion, Star Boy joins the Substitute-Heroes. Shortly, thereafter, one of the folks who tried out alongside Calamity King, namely Color Kid, shows up as a Substitute Hero as well. So why, if Calamity King is all buddy-buddy with Star Boy, and others from his tryout session are joining the Subs, does Calam King not join the Subs himself?

Well, obviously because Star Boy blames him for giving him bad luck and costing him his Legion membership! He blatantly speculates on this fact in Adv. #343, when all the Legionnaires who have had bad things happen to them are reciting their superstitions! Years later, in Thom's Levitz era spotlight, we still see him describing himself as suffering from bad luck! This was the same guy, who, before being expelled from the Legion, was unafraid of jinxes!

Clearly, his encounter with Calamity King made Thom overly supersitious, and his blaming Calam King for costing him his Legion membership caused him to use his influence to keep CK out of the Subs!

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

It does make perfect sense!

EDE, any other theories you have percolating in the back of your mind? They're very well-though out and fun to read!

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Very interesting theories, Eryk. I particularly like the Calamity King one. I think it would be perfectly normal for Thom to look for some outside reason for his misfortune rather than taking responsibility himself -- at least, initially. By the time of SUPERBOY # 211 (when he tries to talk Jan out of killing Roxxas), Thom has clearly owned up to his mistake and what it cost him.

As for Dr. Marden King turning Beast Boy evil, I dunno. I'm a believer in taking responsibility for one's own actions and also of heroes who are flawed. So, I can buy it that Beast Boy was in a snit over the alienation he experienced due to his power. It was a very cruel thing -- the guy was a hero, yet people shunned him because he could turn into animals (which maybe says something about Lallorian prejudices or beliefs). He gave in to bitterness and lashed out.

Not every hero can be strong. He was just a teen, after all, and craved acceptance, just like most teens do.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
You see, EDE - acceptance grows, slowly but steadily. I still have to reread that Best Boy story. Wasn't he mourned in the end by the legionnaires as someone for whom things just didn't work out but tried to do right? He could have been vainly fighting evil influences; tragic, tragic - but I'll have to reread it today.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Interesting new twist to the Calamity King theory: Kenz Nuhor wore green and a funny hat! Could this have subconciously linked him to Calamity King in Thom's mind?
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I like the Beast Boy story idea. There's just something about the older bad guy versus the younger good guy, especially amongst these obscure supporting characters. I guess it makes them more interesting. I also find your Calamity King/Star Boy theory very, VERY interesting. I like how you're managing to stretch it, too. Great fun!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.