Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Invisible Kid's Death (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Invisible Kid's Death
Proty II
The Weirdo Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Proty II   Author's Homepage   Email Proty II         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
but imagine if you had a job which you didn't like thirty years ago
Okay, that wasn't hard...

I always figured they killed Lyle because of his Kryptonian headband.

Ken

--------------------
Yes, but now I'm back! I'm back FROM the future!

Vist Hyperion Ranch!
Guided tours of Chateau Crowbar now available!

http://hometown.aol.com/kidcrowbar/myhomepage/ranch.html

From: Hyperion Ranch, California | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Based on the lineup at that time, Lyle probably was the logical choice for removal. But I wish they had made him resign instead. Maybe Bates just didn't want to bother...

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
My latest blog post discusses the pros and cons (more pros) actually of Invisible Kid's death story. Check it out.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Good post HWW.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, Dev.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
Lyle also popped up earlier during Dream Girl's leadership from a Khundian negaton bomb (that sent Omen/Prophet away). Unfortunately, it later turned out to be some hoax created by a baddie in a dream dimension. I thought that was a great opportunity to bring him back, but Jacques was already on the scene and having two Invisible Kids in the Legion was impossible in those days.

I really love Jacques, but when writing fic for the LoSH cartoon, I was confused about which version of IK was supposed to be a member. At some point, I resolved this by having one of them on the team as an active member and the other as a reservist.

The friendship/rivalry angle that came into play in the Reboot was interesting, but I admit that I balked at Jacques being cast as a tragic figure doomed to spend the rest of his existence sort of half-dead and half-alive. (If anything, that seems more tragic than an actual death, because the character can't move on to an actual afterlife, and has to stick around and witness his own friends and family mourning the fact that he's gone.) Maybe the writers meant to address that at some point and never got around to it, though. (I'd like to think that if Reboot Lyle found out what happened to somebody he was supposedly so close to, he'd do whatever he had to in order to help them.)

I don't dislike Lyle, and I understand why he's got a lot of fans who hated him being killed and still want him back. But I feel much more protective of Jacques, I guess. Because he's part of the Legion that I think of as being more "my Legion" than the others.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
My latest blog post discusses the pros and cons (more pros) actually of Invisible Kid's death story. Check it out.

From there:

quote:
...The most obvious example is Phantom Girl, who, filling the typical role for a female character of that time, has little to do except give Lyle someone to talk to and cry for him at the end (because, you know, it would be umanly for Superboy and Mon-El to cry). She doesn’t even get to use her powers, although she could easily evade Mon-El during the training exercise...

Interestingly, by the time Original Recipe Crisis happened, the living Legionnaire who seemed most affected by Lyle's death was Brainiac Five. I'm kind of sorry now that they didn't revisit the friendship between Phantom Girl and Lyle. We got little enough of her in any context that didn't involve her relationship with Jo.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

I also liked Tinya's friendship with Lyle in this story. I'm just miffed that, despite her powers, she allows herself to be captured so easily during the training exercise and does nothing of value when Validus attacks.

--------------------

cleome46

Yeah. [sigh]

At least the next time somebody complains that modern-day writers don't have a good grasp on how superpowers in the Legion should work, you can bring up this story and spread the blame around a little more evenly.

--------------------

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
That story, as it stood, was both a hero's death and, as HWW points out, the suggestion of a rewarded afterlife. I have to wonder (today) if Lyle had a death wish, but at the time felt bad that he was shirking his duty - not very heroic!

The later story, in which Lyle comes back as a ghost, having been imprisoned in some demon's dimension, soured the original death story for me. Wasn't even Myla just a trap set for Lyle, who thus had no reward but was condemned to an eternal limbo? That story still creeps me out, with its version of the afterlife.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

[Confused]

FC, didn't it turn out that version of Lyle was just a construct made by the demon? That would mean the story he told Jacques was fake, and the real Lyle could still have gone on to a peaceful afterlife.

--------------------

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by cleome45:
[Confused]

FC, didn't it turn out that version of Lyle was just a construct made by the demon? That would mean the story he told Jacques was fake, and the real Lyle could still have gone on to a peaceful afterlife.

Correct, nothing the Fake Lyle said or did was true, it was all the Dream Demon manipulating Jacques and Wildfire. So, there's still no in-story resolution as to where Lyle "went" after death.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
Brown.
The reason Lyle was killed in the pre-boot?
Because his costume was brown.
You know I'm right!

lil'rhino

[Yes]
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
quote:
Originally posted by cleome45:
[Confused]

Correct, nothing the Fake Lyle said or did was true, it was all the Dream Demon manipulating Jacques and Wildfire. So, there's still no in-story resolution as to where Lyle "went" after death.
Ah, I didn't remember that! Too traumatized by the idea of poor Lyle in some awful state, I guess.

And wherever he went, may his costume have changed to always-fashionable black.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Blaine:
Very true...

I wonder if someone had it out for him...

Validus, maybe?

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.