Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Invisible Kid's Death (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Invisible Kid's Death
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
That story, as it stood, was both a hero's death and, as HWW points out, the suggestion of a rewarded afterlife. I have to wonder (today) if Lyle had a death wish, but at the time felt bad that he was shirking his duty - not very heroic!

One of the few aspects of the story which, to me, stands out as real character development is the fact that Lyle was not at his post during the training exercise. This seems very real to me, especially since I teach students who are not far removed, yearswise, from what Lyle must have been at the time.

Lyle was so overcome with hormones (er, love), that he thought a brief absence would not be noticed by his teammates. He was not prepared for the bombshell Myla dropped on him, which delayed his return and caused him to pass out.

Some may say that since Lyle had been a longtime Legionnaire (and a former leader, at that), he should have known better. But I still like the idea of heroes being fallible and teen heroes making impulsive decisions, as real teens might. To me, that makes them more human and relatable.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
agreed. In a perfect world, Lyle's distractions could have been alluded to in a subplot, so it wouldn't have been quite as out-of-the-blue. But it was the 70s.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
In the dawning days of Legion World, I wrote a fanfic, "Myriad", in which I tried to fill in some of the blanks in Lyle's character and make his actions in #203 seem more natural.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
Lyle also popped up earlier during Dream Girl's leadership from a Khundian negaton bomb (that sent Omen/Prophet away). Unfortunately, it later turned out to be some hoax created by a baddie in a dream dimension. I thought that was a great opportunity to bring him back, but Jacques was already on the scene and having two Invisible Kids in the Legion was impossible in those days.

Plus, as I recall, this was an example of the artist running amok with the script. Bringing back Lyle apparently didn't begin with Levitz. It was Giffen's idea of a curve-ball to throw at the writer.
Re the Lyle that was impersonated by the demon, I always did wonder at how it was treated. We didn't even see any scenes of his old teammates going, "Oh my gosh, Lyle, you're back!" Okay, so there was doubt and confusion as to his resurrection, but given that he died saving them (and he didn't turn out to be a Jarth...), makes me think that maybe Levitz WAS thrown a curveball and didn't have the time or inclination to really explore Lyle's return...

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

^This was, in hindsight, one of the first indications Levitz was about to jump the shark. Even if he was thrown a curve ball, he should have run with it. We should have seen the Legionnaires react to their friend and comrade's return. Remember Lyle's friendship with Phantom Girl? Levitz, the ultimate fan-turned-pro, should have.

--------------------

Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Invisible Brainiac:

quote:
We didn't even see any scenes of his old teammates going, "Oh my gosh, Lyle, you're back!" Okay, so there was doubt and confusion as to his resurrection, but given that he died saving them (and he didn't turn out to be a Jarth...), makes me think that maybe Levitz WAS thrown a curveball and didn't have the time or inclination to really explore Lyle's return...
Both Paul and Keith admitted to this being Keith's curveball.

In any case, in-story, "Lyle" sequestered himself away from the other Legionnaires, because (supposedly) he believed THEM to be tricks of the demon. It wasn't the skepticism of the other Legionnaires that was muting the joy of seeing him again.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Thanks for jogging my memory, CMK. Yes, I do remember that Lyle was really distressed at the time. But I agree with HWW - even one page of various Legionnaires reacting to a returned paranoid Lyle would have been nice. Show us some disbelief, confusion, concern - anything!

--------------------

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
Please explain the "curveball" to me. Was it a matter of Keith Giffen improvising on the Paul Levitz story by illustrating Lyle's reappearance without any prior knowledge by Mr. Levitz?

From the writer's perspective, that would make me laugh and piss me off at the same time...

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
Please explain the "curveball" to me. Was it a matter of Keith Giffen improvising on the Paul Levitz story by illustrating Lyle's reappearance without any prior knowledge by Mr. Levitz?

From the writer's perspective, that would make me laugh and piss me off at the same time...

As I recall, that's correct. Giffen and Levitz worked more or less as equal creative partners, with Giffen contributing bits and even entire scenes that weren't in Levitz's scripts. Levitz probably didn't know Lyle had been resurrected until he saw Giffen's artwork.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Giffen has said that he threw Lyle in...just to see what Paul would do with it. Or something thereabouts.

That is fun collaboration.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

^Or a really annoying digression.

It's good for writers and artists to challenge each other, but when it comes down to bringing back a beloved character just to see what one creative partner will do with it, it smacks of egocentricism and insensitivity toward the audience.

--------------------

Malvolio
Devil's Advocate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malvolio   Email Malvolio         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
^Or a really annoying digression.

It's good for writers and artists to challenge each other, but when it comes down to bringing back a beloved character just to see what one creative partner will do with it, it smacks of egocentricism and insensitivity toward the audience.

That wouldn't be even close to the first time someone's said that about Keith Giffen.

--------------------
Watching television is not an activity.

From: Freeville, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Oh, I know Giffen's reputation and I've read the interviews in which he's discussed his reasons for 5YL--reasons which had nothing to do with satisfying audience expectations.

But it seems to me that one goes a step further by being insensitive to both the audience and one's collaborators. It's ironic that Giffen, who exhibits no interest whatsoever in being a team player, became famous for drawing a series that epitomizes team spirit.

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
quote:
Originally posted by cleome45:
[Confused]

FC, didn't it turn out that version of Lyle was just a construct made by the demon? That would mean the story he told Jacques was fake, and the real Lyle could still have gone on to a peaceful afterlife.

Correct, nothing the Fake Lyle said or did was true, it was all the Dream Demon manipulating Jacques and Wildfire. So, there's still no in-story resolution as to where Lyle "went" after death.
IIRC, during the Magic Wars when Projectra led the seance to figure out the cause of the breakdown of science, the spirit of Lyle appeard and said something like "Help me!"

It's kind of sad, though. Like when Kinetix was absorbed by Mordru in Legion of 3 Worlds and Mysa said, "Even in death she'll never know peace", I fined it really sad when a beloved hero dies and we're told he/she spends the entire afterlife being tormented. Ugh.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.