Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » More Mark Waid Murmerings (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: More Mark Waid Murmerings
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Originally posted by CORSAIRUS at the DCMB:

Fantastic Voyage: 5 Questions with Mark Waid
http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazines/wizard/WZ20040802-five.cfm

Q: Having worked on several previous incarnations of the Legion of Super-Heroes, do you think your take on the team will be a major departure from what we’ve already seen?

A: It’s my job to come along every ten years or so and write the last Legion story and then start all over again. I don’t to see it as a completely new take because the goal was to strip everything down, back to the basic concept. It’s a bunch of kids having super-heroic adventures in the far future. It should be fun and bright and high-spirited. That said it’s a pretty radical departure from anything we’ve done with the Legion so far. But what I feel good about is that (classic Legion writer and DC exec) Paul Levitz gives me the thumbs up and says “go forth and do”, this is exactly what we’re looking for. We can start anew without discounting things like Impulse’s connections to the 31st century, Barry Allen living there his last years, all that will be accounted for. But basically, the idea was to pretend as if we were inventing the Legion today, as opposed to continually trying to make something that was created in 1958 work for an audience of the 21st century.

Sounds like a little bit of back-pedaling. Before he said he wasn't taking a "back to basics approach", now he's implying he is. Not "a completely new take" but still "radical". Note that that the origins the Allen family, and presumably XS, will remain intact.

"fun and bright and high-spirited" kids having adventures sounds good to me, like the olden days. I guess I'm an old fogey like Waid.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Amen (and pass the Metameucel [Big Grin] )

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm really looking forward to the new series, the Legion has always been about looking to the future in a positive light so that's what I'm going to do with this.

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corsairus
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corsairus   Author's Homepage   Email Corsairus         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks TC for reposting this and for directing me to this great messageboard.

I'm pretty convinced that this direction will both appeal to new and old fans. Time will tell!

--------------------
It’s a bunch of kids having super-heroic adventures in the far future. It should be fun and bright and high-spirited.
- Mark Waid

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
"Fun" was an adjective rarely evoked by DnA, no matter what you felt about the quality of their work. Too many Imminent Crises Shaking the Fabric of Spacetime. If Waid brings it back, more power to him.

I'm not getting anxious, though, about what could happen. We can't really change it, not with Levitz and others giving it that much of a head of creative steam. We'll all simply see it soon enough.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
Mr Waid - If you're out there listening, PLEASE bring back GIM ALLON as Colossal Boy.

Many thanks!

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
And since we're making a wish list, please bring back Sun Boy. It's not the Legion without him. Feel free to dump Triplicate Girl, though - never could understand what was so special about triplets.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ultrajo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ultrajo   Author's Homepage   Email ultrajo         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey, hey, hey…wait one minute!
Let's not dump on Lu!!!

From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Luornu stays.

If Mark must open up a spot to make room for, say, Calamity King, feel free to dump Kid Quantum.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ActorLad
Un-Famous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ActorLad           Edit/Delete Post     
I really don't want another reboot. If we get another one I just having a feeling we will have a reboot every 10 years or even less. Maybe what the Legion needs is a "Tales of the Legion" title to set stories in any era or new ones.

--------------------
ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!

From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
TRIAD rocks!!! She's been one of the highlights of the post-boot for me.

But I'm pretty sure swapping Shikari for Infectious Lass would be a gutsy and very, very correct move to make! [Big Grin]

(plus it leaves the door open for Dawnstar to return post-re-imagining!)

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I always thought Lu was pretty cool in the preboot as well! No other Legionnaire had suffered the degree of tragedy she had, and yet she still showed courage in the face of it all.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flannel Lass
soft, warm, fluffy!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flannel Lass   Email Flannel Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
And since we're making a wish list, please bring back Sun Boy. It's not the Legion without him.

It's not, is it? It was so shocking to me that he didn't pull the "must risk life to regain powers" bid this time around. I miss him. But it's not like he can't be brought back into the fold, so to speak, without rebooting. It just needs to be done believably.

Maybe he doesn't need to be a superhero, with powers and everything. I mean, he's a very intelligent person, and an utter workaholic, and he could be a crimefighter, like Batman! Or, well, maybe fire isn't so useful in airless environments like underwater, in space, etc... but heat still applies, and light. The original Sun Boy had the power of Super-Radiance, right?

Dirk's been on my mind a bit lately, can you tell?
[Sun Boy]

From: the palace garden of the Lord of the Red Lands. | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I always thought Lu was pretty cool in the preboot as well! No other Legionnaire had suffered the degree of tragedy she had, and yet she still showed courage in the face of it all.

Oh, I loved her then too. Tom & Mary made a fan-for-life outta me when they gave her her second body back!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Flannel Lass:
Or, well, maybe fire isn't so useful in airless environments like underwater, in space, etc... but heat still applies, and light. The original Sun Boy had the power of Super-Radiance, right?

That basically was his power, originally. The ability to project fire only came about with the SW6 "Inferno" version.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.