Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Cameo appearence of Dream Girl in the final Adventure tale

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cameo appearence of Dream Girl in the final Adventure tale
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey there,

Im going to nit-pick over a certain detail concerning ADVENTURE 380.

Its stated that Dream Girl by her inclusion in the Roll Call has a pivotal roll in the tale. All I saw was more or less a cameo appearence of her radio-image attemopting to warn Superboy of an impending doom followed by her usual cryptic hysteria.

She had no further role in the story even when our heroes were stranded on some unchartered planet - so really, what was the point in including her?

From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll read that story and get back to you, BT. It's 23 pages, so not really easy to just look at and figure out....

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
She provided Superboy with a motive for sending the Legion on a wild goose chase across the universe in order to protect them and give the writer an excuse for the title, "The Legion's Space Odyssey."

I guess the super medallion making/power stealing machine was on the fritz, or I'm sure Supes would've used that instead. Gloryhound that he was, he never was much for teamwork.

It was a pretty lame story to end the Legion's run in Adventure on, IMO.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
You know... I never noticed until reading jimgallagher's post that both the first (Adv. #300) and the last (Adv #380) tales of the classic Adventure run are basically about a member staging an elaborate ruse to protect their teammates from death!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Given the title, Shooter was going for a riff on Homer's "Odyssey". There are rough analogues in the story for the Cyclops, Scylla and Charybdis, and the Sirens.

With that in mind, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that Dream Girl acts as a stand in for Tiresias, the blind seer - basically: not a part of the main team, but an ally warning them of dangers ahead.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Wow! I've never thought about the parallels being that close!

Never one of my favorite stories, but maybe I need to re-read it.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Of course, it makes sense that the guy with "is in media res" as his status would have intelligent coments about classical epic poetry!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I can't remember this story for the life of me, so I also guess I should go reread! Particularly with Ex's comments in mind.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
This was one of my faves as a kid. Mostly due to the inclusion of the Super-Pets!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

That was the final appearance of the Super-Pets, wasn't it?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.