Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » I just finished rereading the entire preboot Legion (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I just finished rereading the entire preboot Legion
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
From their first story to Zero Hour.

I miss them [Frown] I started this little project one snowy day this past Christmas, and though there were periods of immense reading and periods where I krept by, this is the first time I ever read the *whole* thing at once.

Nostalgia sure has a way to make you see the heroic moments and the sad moments as a lot more powerful [Smile] (TMK #1-12 might stir up more emotion in me than any other comic series...)

On to the postboot, and then the threeboot, I guess...

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It doesn't count until you read all the specials. You read them yet Des? [Smile]
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
All of the preboot? [Big Grin]
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
And don't forget this.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Are congratulations in order for such a pleasant task?

It must be a bit strange to read them all in one short time period, though - fast-forwarding through decades of history, plus you know how the stories end.

Any overall review coming? Surprised by forgotten details, or seeing old stories in a new light?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
I can't believe you own them all... [Elastic Lad]

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
To be fair, Archives 1, 2 and 9 have helped fill in the gaps [Big Grin]
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:

It must be a bit strange ... you know how the stories end.

Something that added a whole new spin and sense of emotion when rereading ADV 346 'One of Us Is a Traitor!
Intro Nemesis K, KK, Q. Projectra, and Ferro Lad.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
I can relate. Last year I re-read all of my Golden Age Marvel / Timely comics in chronological sequence. The tough part was fnding them, as ALL of them were reprints, here, there, there, in the back of this, etc. Before I started, I typed up a list to help keep me straight. Of the Golden Age Marvels, the only stuff REALLY worth reading (or re-reading) turned out to be CAPTAIN AMERICA, SUB-MARINER, and to a lesser extent, THE VISION. Everything else-- including The Human Torch-- EHH!

After this, I decided to tackle Golden Age Nationals / DCs-- but because I have SO MANY of these (thanks to DC's Archives), I kept it to ONLY those done by Simon & Kirby.

Then I moved on to anything I had by Simon & Kirby from after the war. By far the most fun of this period was FIGHTING AMERICAN, which completely put to shame the Captain America revival of the same period. (Simon & Kirby just blew Lee & Romita completely out of the water.)

The big moment came when I finally reached 1961, and FANTASTIC FOUR #1. I've been reading ALL my 60's Marvels in chronological sequence since, and this month reached the June 1965 issues. What a blast. Most of these are reprints from a variety of sources, but more and more from this period I managed to get the original comics (mostly bought in the late 70's, shortly after I graduated high school, and long before prices of back-issues skyrocketed to INSANE levels). The difference between Marvel reprints & originals is shocking. Unlike DC, which has all their negatives going back to around 1960, Marvel NEVER kept original negatives, and their stat machine was legendary as a "blunt instrument". And many reprints look like they were made from stats OF stats, each step making the art look worse.

A few weeks ago I was reading a Steve Ditko DR. STRANGE episode, and I found myself just STARING at the art and flipping the pages over and over for about a half-hour. It was SOOOOOO good compared to any reprints!!! I hadn't done that sort of thing since 30 years ago when I was reading MASTER OF KUNG FU with art by Paul Gulacy & Dan Adkins (his BEST inker back then).

I might consider doing this with my LEGION collection. Buying ALL the Archives as they came out allowed me to read the entire early part of the series in sequence-- but spread out over more than a decade. I suppose that was almost like reading them as they came out... except for the 12-month gap between readings!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:

"It must be a bit strange ... you know how the stories end."

I don't think it's much different from watching any movie for the 2nd time!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
All of the preboot? [Big Grin]

Hey, Portfolio Boy, this is a great list. I printed it out last night to see what issues I was missing (not many!). I found a few mistakes though.

Color Kid first appeared in Adv. #342, not #351.

White Witch first appeared in Adv. #351, not #370.

The Planet of the Capes was in Jimmy Olsen #117, not #105.

I think you referenced the wrong item numbers when you were citing the reprints of Adv. #301 and #302 (in Superboy #180 and Action #377, respetively).

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

P.S. How come the first appearances of Supergirl and the Super Pets aren't included? These seem like much more important Legion milestones than Wonder Woman fighting some villain who may have been the Timetrapper, or Superboy mentioning the Legion, or an SCPA story, IMHO of course.

--------------------

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Not sure where PoFo is lately, but I plan on updating his lists (complete with scans of the covers and key panels/pages) myself soon. Thanks for the info!

[ July 27, 2005, 07:07 AM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

One more that I remembered. For the entry on Act. #392, there's a note that Saturn Girl's pink bikini first appears in this issue. The costume is actually red in this issue and pink in some panels, red in others in its next appearance in Sup. #184. From Sup. #190 onwards, it is pink.

--------------------

Nightcrawler
Founder

Well, I've edited the first post. It still needs a few details that I need to research, but its a good indication of the changes I wanted to make/add. I'll do more as time permits.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.