Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » I just finished rereading the entire preboot Legion (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I just finished rereading the entire preboot Legion
Oracle Boy
Research is my life.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oracle Boy   Email Oracle Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Anytime. That's what I'm here for. [Big Grin]
From: The 'Net | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
You know, I liked the early issues of the postboot, but I just haven't had the heart to read them yet. I really do miss the preboot. I might even reread Archives 1 & 2 now, or my Great Darkness TPB.

When I got the point in my reading where I hit TMK #1-12, I felt an immense sadness and some real emotion in those issues. But not b/c I didn't like the story, but b/c I realized just how much I've grown so fond of these characters, especially after my most recent five months of reading all the previous stories (some, like Magic Wars, for the first time).

I have always thought, and now more so than ever, that the arguement that continuity and history is a hinderance is one of utter crap. I don't think I'll really ever be able to be over the fact that I miss the preboot.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SeaPea
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SeaPea   Email SeaPea         Edit/Delete Post     
Welcome to the club. I have all of the LSH comics but am in the process of buying the Archives so I don't have to take my comics out of the bags. So I have been rereading all my Legion stories from there. Just finished Fatal Five and Suneater story. This is about the time when the stories started to get good. I am enjoying the reread immensely and I definitely miss the preboot characters.

--------------------
Go get'em Jan

From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthtownKid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthtownKid   Email SouthtownKid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I have always thought, and now more so than ever, that the arguement that continuity and history is a hinderance is one of utter crap. I don't think I'll really ever be able to be over the fact that I miss the preboot.

I think it is a case by case thing. It certainly can be a hinderance in that it can limit what kinds of stories can be told. Or when something forces something else out of existence.

On the other hand, I share exactly your feelings about the first year of TMK stories... they were so heartbreaking, in a way that never could have been acheived without the long history leading up to them.

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
I have a question.

I remember reading about a prototype of the Legion years ago on the DCMBs, but remember people saying at the time that the story really wasn't much of a Legion analogue. I even went out and bought the issue in question (I believe) and agreed to that assessment. However, I can’t remember what issue that was. I’m thinking they were referring to the Intergalactic Patrol from ADVENTURE COMICS #260 (May 1959), but obviously its post-Legion.

So does anybody know what I’m talking about? Or what the answer is?

The answer. So now that you know does it make the list if only to point out that it shouldn't be on the list? Or just leave it. Thoughts?
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I say we pressure Waid to include the Intergalactic Vigilante Squad in the new series so that we can count it!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evolution Has Failed
Two more armpits than Atmos!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evolution Has Failed   Email Evolution Has Failed         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I say we pressure Waid to include the Intergalactic Vigilante Squad in the new series so that we can count it!

No fair, that would retroactively render my (and others') LSH collections incomplete!

Seriously, though, the whole "what goes on THE LIST" thing is quite a question... I like the *.1 decimal system by the way, but there are still many levels on the in-between there ... not to mention there's no way I'd consider Action Comics #1 to be on the list (spin-off appearances would begin with the spin-off, not retroactively), though I might feel differently if I was filthy rich and had nothing better to do....

Does eveyone know about/have you seen:

ftp://members.aol.com/outpost2ezine2/lout_s1.exe

probably best accessed via the second hyperlink of the 9th bullet point in:

http://members.aol.com/outpost2/otherprojects.htm

This thing lists EVERYTHING that could even POSSIBLY be construed as an LSH appearance (except it is in-line with my view on the Superman-Superboy thing, including only comics with at least a mention or image that is LSH-specific ), and is pretty up-to-date even now (goes through WaK LSH #6). There is even a section on 'homages' that includes every appearance by Marvels "Imperial Guard".

I used this to complete my own collection, and made some very arbitary decsions on what "complete" meant to me ... (for example, I did NOT find it necessary to collect every appearance of Booster Gold after he got his LSH Flight Ring, only the issue(s) in which he obtained it.)

Once, when I harbored the unrealisitc illusion that someday I'd have time to do a tenth of what I wanted to do, I had the idea of compiling an LSH list online that was a MATRIX, each cell containing a hyperlink to a sub-list, where the columns represented levels of "how LSH" the appearance was (from several team members, to one team member, to one LSH villain, to an LSH-originated race, to an LSH object, to an homage), while the rows would indicate how pervasive the appearance was in the comic (from 'integral to the story', to 'substantial', to 'several panels', all the way down to 'mentioned in a footnote'. Additional rows could be added for non-comics.)

This would allow a person to decide at the outset which 'cells' they wanted for their collection, IN THEIR MIND, to be complete. (And if anyone wants to take this idea and run with it, feel free - I'll NEVER have time for it.) One could also add a column for Superman (& family) appearances, if one wished...

The only thing I feel I should maybe get but don't have is every LSH trading card...although, I DO have (my most prized possession!) The 1966 Topps triple-foldee with "Pork Chops the Pig, Saturn Girl, and Ulysses S. Grant", truly the ultimate physical manifestation of "non sequitur".

By the way, 'Cobalt Kid', your thread title is just begging for a punchline:

" I just finished rereading the entire preboot Legion,..."
a) and boy, are my eyes tired!
b) and now i REALLY REALLY have to pee!
c) and am now in desperate need of employment.
d) and I suspect it may have been written by MORE THAN ONE PERSON!
e) and have now become "the Infinite Man".

etc, etc....

---craig---

--------------------
"I like stuff that doesn't exist."

From: Old Lyme, CT | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
We have been using John Censullo's list as one of our guides.

One of the things that Scott and I are trying to do with our list is to show (through covers/pages/panels/ads) the extent of a particular appearance. That way anyone can look to see just how much of an appearance it really is and decide for themselves if they want that particular comic in their collection or not. The cells idea sounds like fun, but hopefully we can capture some of that within the MB structure.

Right now, its a work-in-progress and we're adding stuff to the posts we've already done as well as to ones we're working on now.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evolution Has Failed
Two more armpits than Atmos!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evolution Has Failed   Email Evolution Has Failed         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
We have been using John Censullo's list as one of our guides.

One of the things that Scott and I are trying to do with our list is to show (through covers/pages/panels/ads) the extent of a particular appearance. That way anyone can look to see just how much of an appearance it really is and decide for themselves if they want that particular comic in their collection or not. The cells idea sounds like fun, but hopefully we can capture some of that within the MB structure....

I was going to reply with "holy crap, do you know how LONG that's going to be to do for EVERY appearance", but I see you've actually made it to Adv #339 in only 2 posts...pretty impressive! (esp. since it's through that period that there's an average of 1-2 peripheral Legion app. in a Superman-related title between every Adventure issues.)

Not exactly convenient for carrying around in your back pocket at a convention while feverishly searching through long boxes, but way more entertaining and informative! (Hmmm...done hierarchically, one could start with either a matrix or list, click on a sublist, then each item in the list would be a hyperlink to one of your post items...the ultimate LSH list!)

--------------------
"I like stuff that doesn't exist."

From: Old Lyme, CT | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.