Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Okay. If the Threeboot all takes place AFTER the events of Infinite Crisis... (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Okay. If the Threeboot all takes place AFTER the events of Infinite Crisis...
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Ahhhh. That make sense. Kind of. In a kooky, comic way. [Wink]

Thanks Tamper Lad, you explain things to my young mind once more. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
Oh, how I long for a return to the multiverse. Unfortunatly, all this talk of "52" and "one year later" has be believing that the post-Infinite Crisis will look more like the immediate post-Crisis shoehornverse DCU than the pre-Crisis multiverse.

Acknowledging a multiverse doesn't mean that DC will explore it immediately. I'll predict that Geoff Johns will explore it when he decides to leave JSA around issue 100. It strikes me that as his final JSA story he'll do a team up with some pre-crisis version of the JSA and call it Crisis on somewhich or other.

Believe in the multiverse. I've believed that it still exists since I read Crisis. The Anti-monitor didn't destroy it. A new universe was created alongside it. Those characters/stories we used to read exist, it's just the modern characters can't break the barrier to those realities, yet.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthtownKid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthtownKid   Email SouthtownKid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
[QUOTE]Believe in the multiverse. I've believed that it still exists since I read Crisis. The Anti-monitor didn't destroy it. A new universe was created alongside it. Those characters/stories we used to read exist, it's just the modern characters can't break the barrier to those realities, yet.

I believe. Even if the Anti-Monitor had "destroyed" them...if at least 2 universes (DCU, Earth Prime) and their entire past and future histories remained, how could he prevent all the infinite variations from immediately being recreated, the same way they had come about in the first place?

Comic history is cyclical, and just as Jeph Loeb has slowly been returning fun elements to Superman (Krypto, cousin Supergirl, loving Kryptonian parents), I had faith that someday, creators who had grown up with and loved the multiverse, would someday be in a position to bring it back. I hope that time is now, but if not, I'll keep waiting...

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
That's the point isn't it? As long as one person a fan remembers, its possible that s/he will become a writer for DC and bring it all back.

In fact I kinda think that as Infinite crisis begins a character(s) will learn something about 1985.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTrapR
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TimeTrapR           Edit/Delete Post     
<<<<<<So that was the basis of my hope for a new multiverse structure. Also Geoff Johns giving Per Degaton knowledge of the Earth-2 timeline in his recent JSA appearance and the general disrespect of DCU post-crisis continuity in Batman-Superman gives me hope that the DCU we'll see the full glory of the DC multiverse soon.>>>>

Wouldnt it be a KICK if the original CRISIS happened as we saw it, AND the current heroes actually had to deal with the knowledge of what came before...? So What if Per Degaton has knowledge of a "Earth-2" that was expunged from reality? Why should Harbinger, the Manhunters, Psycho Pirate , and the Time Trapper be the only ones to be aware of such a thing? It's been 20 years..the readers have been comparing pre and post crisis since .....what better way to actually MOVE FORWARD then to acknowledge what happened...and move from there?
We don't need a Multiverse to make this feesable.

Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthtownKid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthtownKid   Email SouthtownKid         Edit/Delete Post     
"Need?" I don't know...maybe not. But I know I want the multiverse back really badly.

I just don't see the slightest possible advantage to it not existing. They got rid of it because it was too confusing? For who?! The universe crossover stories were popular as far back as the '60s, when readers were generally far less sophisticated than today's, and they seemed to have no trouble with the concept. It was popular enough that they did them regularly in JLA.

There are a lot of great things that have happened post-Crisis... but there are also a lot of great things that got thrown away needlessly by Crisis.

We live in an age where things like alternate universes, virtual universes, quantum physics, chaos theory, etc. etc. etc., get included in the cheesiest, brain-dead action movies. To then turn around and say those things are too complicated for comic book readers, just feels pathetic.

ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
If only DC *would* restore the multiverse, then they could declare the new Legion to be on Earth-Prime and keep the previous team with all of its icky ties to the modern DCU as the future of the modern DCU and shield the new Legion from them!

Except then we'd have to assume that the Legion revered Superboy and Ultraa. Does anyone really want that? In any case, we've got some evidence that the Justice League is part of their past.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
[QUOTE]Believe in the multiverse. I've believed that it still exists since I read Crisis. The Anti-monitor didn't destroy it. A new universe was created alongside it. Those characters/stories we used to read exist, it's just the modern characters can't break the barrier to those realities, yet.

I tend to agree. The universe that came out of Crisis included Supergirl, a geeky Clark Kent, and, eventually the "death" of Superman and just about his entire supporting cast. ("Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow?) Nothing suggested that it vanished but that instead was no longer the focus.

Incidentally, I'm going to go on believing that "our" Kara Zor-El did not marry that alien guy. It was the post-Crisis, pre-reboot version. [Wink]

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

quote:
Originally posted by SouthtownKid:
I believe. Even if the Anti-Monitor had "destroyed" them...if at least 2 universes (DCU, Earth Prime) and their entire past and future histories remained, how could he prevent all the infinite variations from immediately being recreated, the same way they had come about in the first place?

When did we learn that Earth-Prime survived? There were five universes left, but I don't believe that was among them. It was the fact that Superboy had no home to go to that counted among the reasons why he went off with Superman, Lois Lane, and Alex Luthor.

[ August 03, 2005, 04:25 AM: Message edited by: ferroboy ]

--------------------
Dan

ferroboy
Legionnaire!

quote:
"Need?" I don't know...maybe not. But I know I want the multiverse back really badly.

I don't. The only other Earth that interested me was Earth-2, since I was a fan of All-Star Squadron and Infinity, Inc. IMO, Infinity, Inc. lost its major reason for existing following the Crisis. It was fun when they were semi-unique and you could explore the past. Post-Crisis we simply had a tweaked version of Earth-1.

--------------------
Dan

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by ferroboy:
quote:

When did we learn that Earth-Prime survived? There were five universes left, but I don't believe that was among them. It was the fact that Superboy had no home to go to that counted among the reasons why he went off with Superman, Lois Lane, and Alex Luthor.
FB, Earth-Prime has appeared twice since Crisis: in both Animal Man (by Morrison) and Flash (by Waid).
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthtownKid
Applicant

quote:
Originally posted by ferroboy:
quote:

I tend to agree. The universe that came out of Crisis included Supergirl, a geeky Clark Kent, and, eventually the "death" of Superman and just about his entire supporting cast. ("Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow?) Nothing suggested that it vanished but that instead was no longer the focus.
What suggested to me that 'vanishing' was what they were aiming for, was the fact that that Superman was undeniably the grown up version of Superboy the Legion had always hung out with. There were too many instances (even as far as in "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow") of the grown up Superman remembering and referencing things that he did as Superboy with the Legion. There may be some alternate explanation to this, but if so, I haven't heard it.

Then -- pow, all of a sudden, he's not even real; just a pocket universe copy. And not only did they kill him, negating all his future Superman stories (and apparently drastically altering future history on the Pocket Earth), a few months later, Byrne negates Superboy's last heroic act, and kills everyone on the pocket Earth. Bleh. I mean, a good story, yeah... but less than nothing compared to the countless good stories that it "replaced".

I really enjoyed seeing Loeb seeming to disregard that, by showing the "Whatever Happened...?" version of Superman still alive and happily married in Superman/Batman #18 (they had shown him is earlier issues, but not revealed who he was). Either it took place seconds after the end of Action #583, or Lois habitually leaves the house coal supply near the baby, hoping for yet more diamonds.

ferroboy
Legionnaire!

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
FB, Earth-Prime has appeared twice since Crisis: in both Animal Man (by Morrison) and Flash (by Waid).

Except that in both cases DC was taking the stance that there was no multiverse. In Animal Man, we also had one character (was in Psycho-Pirate?) discover that he was only a character in a comic book. In the vein, Earth-Prime could "exist", but not in the continuity sense.

As far as Flash, I can't comment, since I don't read it.

--------------------
Dan

Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by TimeTrapR:

Wouldnt it be a KICK if the original CRISIS happened as we saw it, AND the current heroes actually had to deal with the knowledge of what came before...?

I do think this is the most interesting way to go. It provides continuity and story lines. A whole lot of mourning, never happened.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
A friend of mine in Wales has more than once offered the view that the characters we knew & loved STILL exist-- it's just that right now, nobody's doing stories about them. I agree with this totally.

My favorite DC book the last couple months has been BATMAN: DARK DETECTIVE. Though it never says it anywhere, every page makes it blatently clear it takes place on EARTH-1 !!!!! Yyyyyyyyyyyyyeah!!!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.