Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » re-reading the REBOOT LEGION (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: re-reading the REBOOT LEGION
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
To be honest, I actually enjoyed the slow pace of the powerless-Zoe upon a re-read; it was actually paced perfectly, IMO... though it might not have seen so when reading on a monthly basis.

Looking back, the pacing actually was just right - Zoe was only completely absent for about 4 months in "real time". For a big fan though, it was an unbearable wait!

I do like how the first two or so years of the Legion managed to wrap up the majority of plot threads introduced so far. That showed good planning, pacing and an attention to detail. LSH 80 and Legionnaires 37 managed to tie in so many little things together that I was almost fell off my chair!

And I did like the shiny, optimistic feel of the books around that time. Finally, a future to look forward to...

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I think the pacing/plotting overall of the first year or so of the reboot was some of the best we've ever had on the Legion.

As I recall, the big problem with the Zoe storyline is that they left her with the cliffhanger of being stranded in her ship, and then it seemed like it took awhile before Mysa rescued her.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
For me, the problem with the Zoe storyline was she was only a Legionnaire for such a short period of time initially (her red costume era). She had such a fantastic debut--one of the best ever IMO (same with Gates in the same issue). And then in a few months she was suddenly gone...in the annual no less!

She remained a favorite of mine all the way until DnA terraformed her, which was one of the worst things they did.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid: She remained a favorite of mine all the way until DnA terraformed her, which was one of the worst things they did.
Ha, 'terraformed her' makes me think that they made a planet out of her!

"How do you know she's a witch?"
"Build a planet out of her!"

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:

Fortunately, the lettercol was enjoyable, as David Taylor shows that he is a true fan of the Legion as he calls for the revival of Star Boy, Calorie Queen, Gates, Nemesis Kid, Gas Girl and Projectra!

COMING UP: THE WINDS OF CHANGE (WHO FARTED?)

*sigh* I suppose I'll never get around to writing the above-teased reviews or telling of more David Taylor lettercol antics. I blame Facebook.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH: *sigh* I suppose I'll never get around to writing the above-teased reviews or telling of more David Taylor lettercol antics. I blame Facebook.
I blame Facebook for how I'm never going to know how the showdown between the Excellents and the Shadow Excellents was going to go down, and what Tina Truths dark secret was!

Curse you, Facebook!

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm. I actually had that ending all worked out in my head... I promise to revisit that soon, and do my best to finish it.

(After all I did manage to finish Girl Zombie, Starsearchers and Trash Lass!)

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

She remained a favorite of mine all the way until DnA terraformed her, which was one of the worst things they did.

I hated that all the heroic things terrorform Zoe did (boring a hole through the Robotican "firewall" surrounding Earth, healing M'Onel), didn't really sink in because I refused to accept her as "my" Kinetix.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sad that pre-terrorform Zoe never really had a strong "wow" moment besides her origin story. She did give up her powerlust later on, but it didn't have that big an impact.

quote:
Originally posted by Set:
Ha, 'terraformed her' makes me think that they made a planet out of her!

Maybe she could have been the 31st century Mogo. It would have been marginally better than nippleless giraffe Zoe.

--------------------

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Maybe she could have been the 31st century Mogo. It would have been marginally better than nippleless giraffe Zoe.

I think she would have had better 'traction' as a character if she hadn't undergone so many changes.

If I was going to turn any of the Legionnaires into a planet, it would be Blok, with the 'revelation' that he's a world-seed, the last elemental remnants of his destroyed homeworld, like Terra/the Swamp Thing/etc. all combined. Ten million years from now, his mass and density will just keep increasing and increasing, and he'll get larger and larger, until he develops his own gravitational field and falls asleep, drawing in matter from all around him and becomes the heart of a new reborn Dryad.

As for the Reboot, I really have to go out and find some of those issues. I was out of comics at the time and knew nothing about it, really, until it was near the tail end of its existence (the 'Fatal 500' arc, for instance, which was the end, IIRC).

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

The early years (as Lash recapped) are a safe bet. And alas, the Fatal 500 arc was the end. Only subsequent appearance so far has been Legion of 3 Worlds [Frown]

And of course, tons of fan fiction in Bits [Razz]

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.