Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Lo3W: Who would you NOT mind if Supes-Prime killed? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Lo3W: Who would you NOT mind if Supes-Prime killed?
Tyroc8
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyroc8   Email Tyroc8         Edit/Delete Post     
I second him getting rid of the reboot & threeboot Legions
I've never been able to warm to either version

From: Brooklyn, New York | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Whoever decided that superboy did not inspire the legion and gave us the mess that is!(in comic book form only, i don't advocate violence against others...unless i'm doing it. [Wink]

'Nuff said, by me anyway.

[ May 19, 2008, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: rickshaw1 ]

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
Himself.

He already killed Krypto once, maybe he can kill some other Super-pets...

Not Whizzy!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not-So-Bad Lad
Secret Honorary Auxiliary Substitute Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Not-So-Bad Lad   Email Not-So-Bad Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
the best ever Legion period was the eighties under Levitz. For anyone who enjoyed that period, then the reboot was a creative nightmare - like cancelling Superman, writing off everything and publishing a Smallville comic instead (complete with Afro-American Pete Ross no Lois etc).

Saturn Girl married Lightning Lad... the Legion evolved... and then wham none of it ever happened.
Johns recognizes what I say and is probably going to put right a terrible wrong. Sorry again. [/QB]

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but the problem here is that this "evolution" left a lot of great ideas in its wake.

- Shooter created Ferro Lad to die, then we get a glimpse of an interesting, nigh-suicidal Ferro in the SW6.

- Because Condo's powers were hard to convey to the audience of the time, he languished in the background before being cast aside. Literally, the best story about him was told more than a decade after his death!

- Gates, Gear, Xs, and Kinetix, who are all great characters, don't and will not exist because their stories fit into a reboot that some others find distasteful.

- Several characters who aged horribly (Dawnstar and Tyroc spring to mind) could be reworked but won't because their stories are already set in stone.

- The classic Legion, whose origin is tied so closely to Superboy, has already been reworked, and will need to be again

Many problems could be forgiven, but if you can tell a better story, with so much more to work with, then why not?

--------------------
"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot

From: The Evil Anti-Moon!!!! | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
Off with there heads.
 -

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PenaltyKillah
Out of Continuity!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenaltyKillah   Author's Homepage   Email PenaltyKillah         Edit/Delete Post     
But keep Vi and Ayla from 5YL. Or be enslaved by SBP.

And perhaps the only reason why the best Legion era was the Eighties was that they finally had DC's center stage, with an array of miniseries and spin-offs... plus they had a solid rock by the name of Paul Levitz.

If he had the honour of calling Reboot and Threeboot temporal duplicates, it's certainly Hallelujah by in THIS place!

--------------------
"For some reason I can't explain or understand, and probably never will... EVERYTHING comes from SUPERMAN." - Alexander Luthor, Jr.

Unfortunately, the Legion is no exception.

From: Canadia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think any of my all time favorite comic stories involve the death of a superhero...it's not something I really read comics to read about and I think a truly great writer doesn't have to kill a character to write a memorable story. I think killing characters has become a crutch for writers of limited ability or ones that don't want to put the effort in to writing memorable stories. I think killing a character can serve the character well from on rare occassions. If it's a relatively unimportant or unmemorable character, killing them can make them more important or more memorable. But still...not something I really want to see done.

And as a Legion fan I don't really want to see the Legionaires killed even from versions of the Legion I don't like...I don't want to see them erased either. I've been down that path and I wouldn't wish it on anyone...especially fellow Legion fans who tend to develop a personal attatchment to the team and characters.

That said...if I have to choose...

Sneckie, Valor/M'onel...

Or whoever Keith Giffen's favorite Legionaire is(repeatedly).

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
Off with Superboy-Prime, the worst excuse of a supervillain ever! But I do agree with Superboy (ours): killing characters these days are kind of run-of-the-mill. That's how our society sees death nowadays, IMO, unfortunately. Still, there were a couple of deaths who seemed really special for me, like Superboy (PU) and Barry Allen. Because in these case, they were not simply death, but more like ultimate sacrifices. There was an upbeat side to it.
And, in a certain way, Morrison's death of Martian Manhunter is EXACTLY what is wrong about villainess these days (and I have to congratulate Grant for this slap-in-the-face). It's cheap, senseless, un-heroic. And, as usual, Grant points that out as if it is en passant. Really great stuff, in my opinion.
But back to the topic, I'd get rid of Karate Kid, and every Keith Giffen's hated character. And from Karate Kid's bowels, we would see Gates dead too (she was actually inhabiting KK, making him double boring all this time).

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
SPOILERS!

Let's see just how many established LSH folks are offed in this mini...
even if Prime isn't doing the actual offing himself...

Lo3W BODY COUNT list

1. RJ Brande

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
I have a really bad feeling about XS

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Not-So-Bad Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
the best ever Legion period was the eighties under Levitz. For anyone who enjoyed that period, then the reboot was a creative nightmare - like cancelling Superman, writing off everything and publishing a Smallville comic instead (complete with Afro-American Pete Ross no Lois etc).

Saturn Girl married Lightning Lad... the Legion evolved... and then wham none of it ever happened.
Johns recognizes what I say and is probably going to put right a terrible wrong. Sorry again.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but the problem here is that this "evolution" left a lot of great ideas in its wake.

- Shooter created Ferro Lad to die, then we get a glimpse of an interesting, nigh-suicidal Ferro in the SW6.

- Because Condo's powers were hard to convey to the audience of the time, he languished in the background before being cast aside. Literally, the best story about him was told more than a decade after his death!

- Gates, Gear, Xs, and Kinetix, who are all great characters, don't and will not exist because their stories fit into a reboot that some others find distasteful.

- Several characters who aged horribly (Dawnstar and Tyroc spring to mind) could be reworked but won't because their stories are already set in stone.

- The classic Legion, whose origin is tied so closely to Superboy, has already been reworked, and will need to be again

Many problems could be forgiven, but if you can tell a better story, with so much more to work with, then why not?[/QB]

I agree, and I think this was very well-written [Smile]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Now back to the thread topic:

(and yes, I agree with everyone who said senseless deaths are not nice [Smile] )

But if it did happen...

ATMOS! Off with his mohawk! [Atmos]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
SPOILERS!

Let's see just how many established LSH folks are offed in this mini...
even if Prime isn't doing the actual offing himself...

Lo3W BODY COUNT list

1. RJ Brande

2. Leland McCauley (for AR sake)
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Sinde?

She may only be as intellegent as a clam, but she has the staying power of a cockroach.

Sinde will be triumphant!

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Did Thunder have any fans?

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.