Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Personalities of Legionnaires (Page 9)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Personalities of Legionnaires
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
Polar Boy: The eternal freshman among seniors,

The relationship between Polar Boy and the Legion is, to me, very much like the relationship between Worf and Klingon society.

He grew up outside, reading the books and codes and 'honor' strictures, and then, when he finally 'got inside,' everything was different. People he had admired from afar broke the rules he'd been told were sacred, and he felt betrayed in spirit. Unlike Worf (whose people are basically backstabbing dicks, who talk big about honor while sharpening their knives for the next honor-less betrayal), it wasn't that the Legion were honor-less, it was that they had years of experience living with the Legion codes, and were all-too-aware that the codes are meant to discourage abuse of power, not tie the hands of a Legionnaire who *has* to break a rule to save lives (or worlds, or the entire universe!).

Polar Boy grew up outside, thinking of the rules as inviolate and sacred, while the more experienced Legionnaires regarded them as best practices. The very day that Polar Boy becomes a Legionnaire, Saturn Girl, a *Founder*, is pushing Sensor, a Legionnaire who committed murder, back onto the team in disguise, as if attempting to do an end-run around the rules she herself helped write.

As a Sub, he was easy going and forced to improvise, thanks to the occasionally problematic powers of his teammates. Whatever worked, worked. He built up the Legion, in his head, as some sort of monolithic ultra-professional organization, and then is shocked to find out differently, that these Legionnaires he's practically worshipped are as likely to cut corners to get the job done as his Subs were.

And so his dissappointment turns to bitterness, and he becomes a bit of a tin-plated tyrant, trying to force the Legionnaires to uphold the impossible standards he's built them up to following in his head.

The Trial of Brainiac 5, which the rest of the team would have skipped, had he not pushed and pushed the issue, ended up being a nail in the coffin of his being taken seriously. Over half the team voted to absolve Brainy of responsibility, and then Brainy walked anyway, making it look like Brekk had put the entire team at each others throats, and cost the team one of it's greatest assets (and, if a Top Five Legionnaires were made, Brainy, along with Superboy and the Founders, would be there, while Brek himself would be lucky to make the top 20, which must be a bitter pill for the man who spent years idolizing, and idealizing, the Legion from afar).

Wow, my description of Mysa back in February reads differently now that she's become the Black Witch. It was telegraphed back in Lo3W#1, in, uh, the early Pliocene, IIRC, that she'd embrace dark magic to get revenge on Mordru, but I was kinda hoping she wouldn't go there.

[ September 27, 2009, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Set ]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanx for giving another take on Polar Boy. I was just going on what I know from Action Comics. How'd I do on April and Xao?

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I know nothing about them. They were from a time I didn't read the Legion (sacrilege, I know!). Xiao sounds awesome. I always wanted some more mystically-powered Legionnaires (although Projectra, Shady and possibly Nura kinda/sorta count), and just as there are a dozen alien-powered Legionnaires, I'm sure that there is room for one or two other than Mysa!
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Andromeda (Glorithverse): See Supergirl.

Andromeda (Earth-247): The hero seeking redemption. A case of nature vs nurture. She'd been raised to believe that all aliens were inferior beings compared to Daxamites. But put into the real world around different people, she learned that the only thing that was "inferior" was what she'd been taught all her life. She feels remorse for her actions and is now trying to atone, successfully, for what she's done.

Kinetix: Quite possibly the only candidate for an Orange Power Ring who'd be good. She's power hungry, but she only wishes to use her powers to help people. But she learned that her powers need limits. The hard way. Starting from when she saved her mom's life. In the early days, in the BFF grouping of Zoe and Vi, Zoe filled the role of the outgoing one while Vi was the shy one. Then after Zoe left, Vi began coming out of her shell, albeit because of her possession by the Emerald Eye. Then after going through one transformation too many, Zoe was rendered nearly catatonic, in a trance like state, before and after her transformation into a Terrorform, while Vi naturally began coming out of her shell, even going on a date with Chuck.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
that was fun!

Okay, the first recruit...

TRIAD

There was a reason Triad was the first recruit... she is amazingly likeable. A bubbly, infectious personality... and a brash, boisterous, fun-loving personality... and a shyer, quieter reserved personality... something for everyone! Triad is one of the most accomplished Legionnaires at hand to hand combat and was in fact the unarmed combat trainer for recruits before Karatre Kid came along. Amazingly adaptable to dealing with sentients of all types of personalities, Triad is ideal for missions of infiltration and espionaige.

Hey Legion fans, can you give me your opinion on the difference between Triplicate Girl and Triad's personalities. I think at one point with Triplicate Girl I understood that each one has the same personality and elsewhere it was just the opposite. What's the ruling here? What are each personality like?

--------------------
I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

For Triad, it turned out that each one of her selve's had a different personality, which got her/them labeled as mentally ill. Or a freak.

The normal Trip, original, I'm not sure.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Pre-Crisis Lu had only one personality. She was sort of a girl-next-door with self-confidence issues, which she tended to hide from her fellow Legionnaires.

The idea of her bodies having different personalities was a 5YL invention, which was carried over into the reboot. Purple Lu was her impulsive/flirtacious side, Neutral Lu was well-adjusted/balanced, and Orange Lu was shy/quiet.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Pre-Crisis Lu had only one personality. She was sort of a girl-next-door with self-confidence issues, which she tended to hide from her fellow Legionnaires.

The idea of her bodies having different personalities was a 5YL invention, which was carried over into the reboot. Purple Lu was her impulsive/flirtacious side, Neutral Lu was well-adjusted/balanced, and Orange Lu was shy/quiet.

Thanks much you confirmed what I was thinking.

--------------------

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
re: 5YL

i thought the stories was that she tried to hide and repress her different personalities because it was thought of as a mental illness, as other carggites have oen personality, and it was suggested she survived the death of her duplicates because they had different personalities. and she was seen as a freak for being able to survive the death of oen of her dupes. (right?)

so add a big helping of repression and shame on top of 5YL Lu.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Yeah, that's pretty much it. In the reboot this was elaborated on with the idea that multiple personalities are actually the norm for Carggites, but society forces them into conformity, and those in whom the forced conformity doesn't take are institutionalized, as with Lu.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Triplicate Kid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Triplicate Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Wasn't the personality split a bit different between the SW6 and reboot versions?

--------------------
Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore

From: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
I seem to remember Lu remarking during 5YL that she (Neutral Lu?) wouldn't have survived having one of her bodies (Orange Lu?) destroyed by Computo if not for her other self's (Purple Lu?) tenacity ... does anyone else remember this?

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I believe there's a text page with Brainy speculating that the independent personalities contributed to the survival of her other bodies. I'm not sure about the comment you mention.
Set

Random thoughts about Tellus;

Tellus, unlike pretty much every other Legionnaire, grew up in a three-dimensional environment, where 'up and down' where as valid of choices as 'left or right.'

As a result, he observes things in a more holistic 'big picture' fashion, processing data from all directions, since, underwater, anything can come from any direction, and both sound and scent can be bringing real-time information from miles away, that has to be accounted for and processed (or dismissed). This doesn't happen on a conscious level, any more than a human has to remind himself to guage distance visually, or to adjust his step so that he doesn't topple over. It's part of the Hrykrain experience.

In air, with the liquid of Great Mother Ocean no longer connecting him to everything around him in a massive tactile sensory web, Tellus is always feeling removed from everything around him. Underwater (or, liquid, in his case, since Great Mother Ocean isn't just 'water'), if someone moves within 10 paces of him, it creates ripples, and that movement might even move him, if it displaces enough fluid, making every movement of every being around him part of a great dance, everything affecting everything else, and, even if many meters from another, everything touching everything else, on some level.

In the cold empty 'air' of an earth environment, he is the eternal spaceman, as cold and exposed and cut off from his native environment as a human would be in a spacesuit, hovering in perpetual vacuum.

Because of the experential and three-dimensional mode of thinking used by Hyrkrains, they can be seen as 'slow' by surface-dwelling sentients, who, by Hrykrain standards, focus like insects on tiny issues and small pieces of data, ignoring the greater context. When multiple Legionnaires are talking at once, examining different minute points of an issue, perhaps even arguing over whose idea is better or whose insight is important, Tellus is bewildered, because it is alien to his people's slower, more deliberate pace.

He is more likely to make the *wise* decision, but it's quite possible that he'll make it too late to be of any use if surrounded by too-fast, too-loud, hot-blooded surface dwellers, who are always rushing to do something, sometimes before they understand the exact significance of the moment.

What he may or may not realize, is that all of that babbling and arguing is the humanoid way of doing what he's doing, as a half-dozen people combine their individual inputs, through this clumsy, loud and confusing communal process, and end up building a very similar holistic 'big picture.' Thanks to having a half-dozen brains to do this with, each focused like a laser on a different piece of what Tellus is looking at with wider-eyes, they might even come to the same conclusion that Tellus would have, even faster, with the 'argument' serving as a funky sort of human attempt at 'parallel processing' a problem by having multiple brains picking at it from different angles.

If only the process weren't so loud and contentious, and he didn't have to *hear* this human consensual process!

Hyrkrains are not monolithic, or incapable of disagreement, but their nature, perhaps somewhat like that of a school of fish, all wheeling in eerie synchronicity, is to swim *with* the current, and when Hyrkrains 'argue,' they look for points of similarity first to 'sing in harmony,' and only then begin to find the points of disharmony and disagreement.

As a result, Tellus can sometimes seem *too* agreeable, or underconfident, hesitant or 'easily-cowed,' because he's less likely to strenuously disagree, and more likely to start a conversation from a point of agreement, and begin moving towards the contentious points as the conversation proceeds. Since most humanoids would have already finished with the conversation, convinced they had 'won' or that Tellus 'was on their side,' they might never get to the point where a Hyrkrain would say, "But I totally disagree with you here..."

Surrounded by air-breathers, whose movements never ripple the waters around them (because there are no waters), he feels like he's surrounded by pictures of people, not real people. Their movements are sudden and graceless. Their bodies have unhealthy bulges that ruin the graceful lines of a sleek aquadynamic form and too many joints, which flop around like broken limbs to his eyes. They talk very fast, often in emotionally charged statements that make him feel like they are on the verge of sudden violence, and walk away, convinced they've 'won' before he's even stated his complete feelings on a matter.

He is schooling himself to regard *them* as his new Great Mother Ocean. Instead of paying attention to any single Legionnaire, he allows their jabbering words to flow over him, like water streaming off of his flanks, and searches instead for the bigger picture, the holistic representation of the greater conversation, while allowing the individual words and sentences to spin away into the darkness.

In time, he will be able to anticipate the flow of a conversation, and come to the end of it, while the individual voices are still working through their strange group think and hashing out details in their terribly inefficient means of parallel processing. He's not there yet, but he's recognized the patterns and the flow, the mathematical elegance and the rthymns of humanoid communication, and, by allowing it to flow around him, instead of trying to focus in on one word or pay attention to any one speaker, he hopes to apply the strength of his Hyrkrain way of thinking and experiencing the world to his interactions with his teammates.

[ May 27, 2010, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Set ]

Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Hey, anybody remember this thread? I was reading through to try and find assessments on Invisibile Kid (Lyle) and found he didn't get much love. Anybody care to assess his personality for me as well as Superboy's?

I'm still working on my game and I'm putting characters together...and like always...I want it to be right.

--------------------

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.