Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Personalities of Legionnaires (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Personalities of Legionnaires
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Good one Jerry.

I'd only add that Nura has an inner strength and toughness that is hidden by her flirty, fun-loving, and pampering manner. This causes opponents to underestimate her.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Interesting take on Mon-El, Set, but . . .

quote:
. . . Mon-El flat out lied to him about whether or not he would be welcome, and then misled his teammates about whether or not he was interested!

. . . is this from an actual story or is it your interpretation of events?

Same issue where Quislet, Polar Boy, Magnetic Kid and Sensor join the team. He runs into Dev-Em saving a chunk of coastline from sinking and Dev-Em says that if they are looking for new recruits, maybe he should sign up and Mon-El, with a fairly sour expression says, 'Maybe that offer isn't open anymore.' or something. (It sounded like Dev-Em already had an open invitation, and wasn't just any old schmoe.) Back at the headquarters, either Cosmic Boy or Element Lad (I don't recall which) noted that the team had run into Dev-Em, and that they really could use someone with his power. Mon-El's sitting with his arms crossed and pipes up saying that 'He's happy where he is.' and the one who asked him made 'Aw, too bad' type noises and Mon-El conceded that he didn't 'try too hard' to recruit him. (As opposed to what really happened, where he actively discouraged someone who asked about joining...)

I thought it was a neat character moment, because it was too easy to see Mon-El as some monolithic figure that never thinks at all, a clone of Superboy or 'the strong, silent type.' The notion that there was something going on under there intrigued me.[/QB]

Insightful interpretation of that issue (LSH v. 3 # 14), Set, and I don't completely disagree with it. (In fact, I agree: the notion of Mon wanting to protect his status as Big Man on Campus adds a lot of depth to him!) But here's a bit of context for those scenes.

Dev-Em was extended an offer to join the Legion back in ADVENTURE COMICS # 320. Previously, Dev was a bully from Krypton and an enemy of Superboy's. Although Dev had reformed, Mon may have still held a grudge because of the former's previous behavior. It would be perfectly natural for Mon to remain wary of someone who had once bullied his "little brother."

In any case, Dev turned down the Legion to join the Interstellar Counter-intelligence Corps (ICC).

Flash forward to LSH # 14. When the Legion arrives on the scene, Dev insults applicant Comet Queen ("And who or what is that?"), and is reprimanded by Mon-El. Dev apologizes, but then says, "Sheesh, if you're desperate, maybe I ought to reconsider your offer to join"--not only insulting her again but sounding downright arrogant in the process.

And Dev doesn't stop there with the insults. When Tellus later appears on the scene, a startled Dev responds by calling him a "lump"! Tolerant toward other species he is not.

So, Mon may have responded as he did because the Legion simply doesn't need an arrogant and insulting SOB, no matter his power level. The exchange on page 21 supports this:

Element Lad: Dev-Em wasn't interested, I assume?

Mon-El: He's happy with the Counter-intelligence Corps, Element Lad.

Wildfire: No loss--I think lots of our applicants would make better Legionnaires.

Shadow Lass: Wildfire's right. I never liked Dev-Em's attitude, no matter how terrific his super-powers might be.

Mon-El: I can't say I tried very hard to persuade him.

But is Mon-El really lying here, or is he just being ironic? I suggest the latter, since any lie he told would have surely been noticed by Brainiac 5, who was privy to the earlier exchange.

The one statement in which Mon may be stretching the truth is in saying that Dev is happy with the ICC. Nothing in their conversation suggests this, although the fact that Dev is still there after all these years might.

[ August 09, 2008, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
So, Mon may have responded as he did because the Legion simply doesn't need an arrogant and insulting SOB, no matter his power level.

I agree that Dev-Em was a jerk, and yet, it wasn't Mon-El's place to tell him that the offer of Legion membership might no longer be open, nor to tell his teammates that Dev-Em was happy where he was. He made that decision for the entire team, and even if every single teammate might have agreed with his reasons, he didn't bother to take a vote and made the decision for them.

Like pretty much every other Legionnaire, he's got some depth, and a thousand years of watching over mankind from an ethereal state didn't make him an angel. He's one of the select few Legionnaires that Brainiac Five recognized as having the practical streak and willingness to do what had to be done needed to join a mission team that would end in the death of Jaxon Rugarth.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
[Sun Boy] Dirk is suave and slick and the universally accepted Legion's ladies' man. He is quite knowledgeable and scientifically minded. Though he works hard enough, he comes across as lazy because of his hobbies and his cocky nature that rubs people the wrong way. Unlike good ol Thom who everyone gives a free pass to, Dirk gets called on every short cut he takes or when his work is not up to snuff.

Though he outwardly has lots of friends his relationships are a mile wide and an inch deep. His outward brashness hides a touch of insecurity and lonliness.

[Star Boy] The nicest guy on the team. Also the most easy going and overall easiest to get along with. He is no dummy but lacks the curiosity to ferret out facts for himself preferring to let them present themselves usually through the work of others. This is the one thing that irritates others about him, though since Thom never makes any demands of them they let it slide and accept it as the way he is.

[Invisible Kid] Quiet and shy by nature his personality echoes his power. He is a great observer of empirical fact in science like Brainy but unlike Brainy, Lyle is a great observer of human behavior and emotional cues. He is also a great creative mind as well as an efficient organizer like Lu. His multifaceted abilities make him a capable if not always willing (because of his less than outgoing personality) leader.

[Brainiac 5] Brainy is contrary to what we may think is not socially awkward and difficult to get along with. In his youth, he was actually what his culture values as an ideal young man. And on Colu his behavior is par for the course. In every iteration, Brainy's intellectual curiosity and relationships with Legionnnaires leads him to reject aspects of his people's way of life. Given that he is the equivalent Rokk in his own culture, and the general UP culture is quite different than Colu, he has a hard time adjusting to his new team.

He's closest to the thinkers and those who rely on guile as opposed to brute power. In the various boots his emotional growth has always been spurred by a friendships with his teamates, mainly Imra, Lyle, Nura, Ayla. He openly admires Mon-El as a fellow seeker of knowledge. Strangely, he secretly idolizes someone like Dirk because Sun Boy has a good scientific mind but is so natural in social settings (like with the ladies).

[Light Lass - Re-Imagined] Easily the most outwardly emotional of all the Legion Lasses, Ayla finds herself conflicted emotionally by the relationships that are staples of Legions past and present. She is uncomfortable around Saturn Girl because she (wrongly) thinks Imra a cold unemotional witch. She thinks Garth is in over his head with that Shameless Hussy. But in a contradiction she's also drawn into friendship with Brainy because he has control of his emotion in the same way Imra is. Ayla's interactions with him teach him to express emotion while she learns more self control.

Ayla's emotional load comes from being glue that maintained any relationship her two brothers had growing up. Growing up with two brothers she's a guys' girl. Even if not overtly tomboyish she naturally understands and feels comfortable with the way guy's think and act. During times when her emotional stress is out of control, she's been known to try to escape via romantic trysts which ultimately lead to more torment.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
quote:
So, Mon may have responded as he did because the Legion simply doesn't need an arrogant and insulting SOB, no matter his power level.

I agree that Dev-Em was a jerk, and yet, it wasn't Mon-El's place to tell him that the offer of Legion membership might no longer be open, nor to tell his teammates that Dev-Em was happy where he was. He made that decision for the entire team, and even if every single teammate might have agreed with his reasons, he didn't bother to take a vote and made the decision for them.

Good points. I'll agree that Mon spoke out of turn in both cases. I'm not so sure, however, that doing so qualifies as "making a decision" for the team. From the context of the dialogue, it doesn't sound as if Dev really wanted to join the Legion. He was just engaging in a game of oneupmanship: "Hey, if you're desperate, I'll join the Legion and solve all your problems."

Had he really been interested in joining the Legion, he would surely have known (as did the rest of the UP) that the matter would be put to a vote. Mon certainly recognizes this, hence his qualifying words, "might not be open anymore."

The Legion, I will concede, was less likely to pursue the matter once they learned from Mon's mouth that Dev wasn't interested. But, knowing that the other Legionnaires felt about Dev-Em as he did, Mon may have been saving the team valuable time and resources (maybe even an try-out) by not putting it to a vote.

I do agree that Mon is no angel (and neither are any of the Legionnaires). That's why I'm intrigued by your interpretation, even though I find the evidence in these scenes subjective.

As for Brainy selecting Mon to participate in the Legion Conspiracy, again, your point is well taken. But it should not be forgotten that part of Mon's motive was revenge against the Time Trapper, who was responsible for the death of Superboy, Mon's "little brother."

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
DAWNSTAR - She takes her responsibilites as a Legionnaire seriously. Dawnstar is sometimes dismayed by the lack of the seriousness of some of the other members. This attitude comes partially from her cultural upbringing but even more from her time at the Legion Acadamy. She worked in an official training institution to earn her place in the Legion. She views the Legion as a serious organization with a serious mission. Earning a place on the team is her proudest accomplishment. She has little patience for those who gained membership by being in the right place at the right time or who view the Legion as some sort of super-hero club.

Dawnstar is drawn to Wildfire because he made her work hard in the acadamy and brought the best out in her. He also supported her when others didn't. She shares his vision on the Legion and respects him.

Dawnstar is proud. She equates performance with personal success. If someone fails on a mission they have failed as a person. She is as hard on herself as she is on others. Personal failure brings great shame to her. It's a manner of honor.

Dawnstar has a softer emotional side. She rarely shows it so many think it doesn't exist. It does, though.

[ September 04, 2008, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
SHRINKING VIOLET

Salu was more commonly known as "Shy Vi" during her early LSH career, but no one could deny there was also a 'tiger' within this lady. While her accomplished fighting skills and wits were key in the defeats of the so-called 'Legion of Super-Rejects' and the kidnapper-extortionists Charma and Grimbor, as well as multiple Espionaige Squad missions, she herself would likely have denied her own skill and importance. The "Shy Vi" moniker fell out of favor upon Salu's recovery from a months-long stay in a sens-tank. She returned as a brash, opinionated force to be reckoned with who was well aware of her own self-worth due to months of physical and mental therapy upon her release from the sens-tank. Violet also emerged from the sens-tank with trust issues and tends to keep to herself, though no one dares now to call her "shy".

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

SUN BOY

Rich, handsome, a little bratty and fun-loving, Dirk is the "go-to" man for a night on the town. While forming a bond with Lightning Lad early in his career, Dirk found that Garth's "family-man" sensibilities were grating to him. Ultra Boy was too much competition, so Dirk ultimately became pals with Colossal Boy. In Gim, Dirk found his perfect wing-man: someone handsome enough to attract the ladies, yet full of self-doubts enough to fade into the background once Dirk turned on his charming personality. Though Dirk might be thought of as vapid by many outsiders, his teammates know him to be completely dedicated. Upon taking on so many missions in a row that he was in danger of a total breakdown both physically and mentally, the LSH instigated limits on the amount of missions a member could take without rest. Sadly, it all comes down to a desperate urge to prove himself, wether it be by the amount of good he can do as a Legionnaire or the amount of metaphorical notches he can place on his bedpost.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

BOUNCING BOY

Quick of wit, always in a good mood, Chuck is a favorite among his teammates, especially on long missions. Many consider him less irritating and "cornball" than his good friend Matter-Eater Lad. As a Legionnaire, the very nature of Chuck's power tends to make him look ridiculous.... unti the enemy sees the giant flight-ring powered battering ram that is Bouncing Boy hurtling their way. Also accomplished at building design, Chuck maintains a relationship with Brainiac 5, whose less-successful experiments have often resulted in the need for Chuck's skills in that area. Chuck, along with Triad and Matter-Eater Lad, form the nucleus of the Legion's unofficial "party posse" and are often approached by Legionnaires who want to plan gatherings or celebrations.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

ULTRA BOY

Jo Nah: Gangbanger thespian. Hailing from a generally roughneck world like Rimbor, Jo learned early on how to fit in and survive, and had both the looks and wits to do so. However, unlike many of his peers, his heart was never as hardened as he would have had one to believe. In his true heart was an actor, someone who liked being somone else. Even if this made him an exceptional con artist on Rimbor (which made him a favorite of his gang), Jo took the first chance he got to better his lot. Upon joining the LSH, he became a quick "UP Idol", as billions of sentients fell in love... with his roughneck swashbuckler appearance, he was the irresitable bad boy that wasn't too dangerous because of his Legionnaire status.

--------------------

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm enjoying this thread, and I'd say that it could be helpful to include notes about the Legionnaire's families and homewrolds.

For example, Nura. Naltor is a matriarchal society, so that would certainly influence Nura's perspective on men. We don't know anything about her father. Also, her mother was the High Seer, so Nura was raised almost like royalty. She felt very protective of her "handicapped" little sister. Later, Nura became an orphan. I think all of those factors would contribute to her ways.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Agreed, Sketchy (Hi!!).

MON-EL

Mon-El is the Legion's much-admired older brother. The team as a whole almost has an obsessive need to please him, for reasons ranging from sorrow at his 1000-year confinement in the Phantom Zone to respect for his relationship with Legion-inspiring legend Superman to awe at his incredible Daxamite powers. Mon himself probably stays with the team out of gratitude for his salvation from the Zone, because most Daxamites seem to have a general inbred desire to remain on Daxam (plus that pesky vulnerability to lead). Therefore, Mon-El is rather unique among his people because of his desire to travel the galaxy. Mon also has what could be called a saintlike patience, likely due to his time in the zone and the scoundrels he had to deal with there. Mon also learned how to deal with people of all types after being able to observe them in all kinds of situations from the zone over his inprisonment.

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
More spot on descriptions from MLLASH.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I almost want to tag family relations on the end of Lash's posts. [Smile]

Dirk- mother-less, father was kind of a cad, a business man with enemies. Not the most sensitive way to grow up.

Jo's parents seemed to be quite proud of him, but they also seemed a bit unaware of what he was up to.

Tinya- preboot she was orphaned but had an older brother in the background. Reboot, she has the stong mother issue and the rogue-ish father issue. Threeboot--- I don't think we know her family.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Quis... [Love]

MATTER-EATER LAD

Comedian and prankster supreme, Tenzil also has an ability to talk you into ANYthing... he has often pulled the likes of Shrinking Violet, Brainiac 5 and Princess Projectra into his pranks when they are needed... no small feat. His ability to come up with absurd solutions to problems have often come in useful, but his teammates tend to deal with him better in smaller doses. Despite having matinee-idol looks, a general perceived "Ewww, gross!" attitude about Bismollians has prevented Tenzil from attaining "Idol" status. That is not the case on Bismoll, however, where Tenzil has turned down repeated holo roles and offers for his own reality vids. An astute observer might see Tenzil's "Good-Time Charlie" ways and repeated attempts to suggest replacements for himself whenever he has to take an extended leave as a mask for his low self-esteem. Tenzil would counter with the idea that Bismollian representation is too important for the LSH to go long without and then probably de-pants the observer.

--------------------

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.