Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Is my character bisexual? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is my character bisexual?
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
This is a question I've been thinking about for awhile about Lardlad, the character.

Now, first, let me make it clear that we're talking about the character that I, and many of you, write about and not myself (a.k.a. the *real* Lardy), 'kay?

But the more I write about Lardy and all the hedonism I put into him, he seems so free with sexuality that I'm not so sure he would limit his options. Basically, I try to make the character as wild and woolly as possible. Every time he appears, he's drinking enough to put any alcoholic to shame, he's eating the LMBP out of HQ and home, he's partying like it's 2099 and he seems to be having enough sexual intercourse for about 50 other guys.

Truly, I feel the character has taken on a life of his own. I put some of myself into his portrayal, but, really, we couldn't be more differentSo does that mean that Lardlad the character could grow so beyond Lardy the message board poster that he could be bisexual while I am a heterosexual?

I'm seriously beginning to think so and may begin writing bits that suggest that aspect of his character. In a way, it seems that one could write almost any LMBPer, gay or straight, as being bisexual based on their being written in our house-style hedonistic personalities.

Or would it be more accurate to portray Lardlad as a hedonist open to experimentation, than as a bisexual?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loser Lad
Stressed

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loser Lad   Email Loser Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
It's your character dude, take it where you want it to go. Just because he's created in your image doesn't mean you can't give him a life of your own or take him in directions you wouldn't go in yourself in your writing. If it's right for the story then go for it. Of course don't do it just for shock value. If it's forced it won't work right. But if the story takes you there, why not. The beauty of the LMB is that you can always retcon it out later [Big Grin]

Personally I'd rather see it develop, if it does, as more experimentation/curiosity, rather than full blown bisexuality. It would seem more natural given the character and his usual behavior. But again, like I said, any characterization should be motivated by whatever story you're trying to tell.

--------------------
The LMB Archives

From: The Loser Cave | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
It sounds liberating, Lardy.

And I don't mean sexually liberating, rather INTELLECTUALLY liberating. Sounds like you're thinking out of the box, as it regards your character, and I think that's a good thing. So go for it, man, break that creative wall! Your writing will be the better for it, even if poor Lardy suffers (which I don't think he will.)

(Oh, and I wanted to apologize to you and Eryk for not posting to the story threads for awhile. I've just been kind of blocked lately on my crazy-fun writing, and my creativity has been turning to more serious endeavors (like my story The Food Court. I do plan to be back contributing to the Super-Jailhouse very soon.)

I also have a tendency to halt in the middle of long projects sometimes (as my current progress on Baldur's Gate 2 would suggest.)

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
You've got some good points, Lou. And I know he's my character, but I think I sought the input because I'm not sure how LMB assembled would feel about the issue. Would it be offensive to gay or bisexual members? Would people confuse the character with the guy? Would the portrayal seem forced, unnatural and stereotypical written by a straight guy?

As it is, the hedonistic portrayal would probably make more sense, as you pointed out Lou. But couldn't that willingness to experiment lead to bisexuality?

And I didn't really have a major story point in mind at the moment...maybe just having him flirt or be mentioned as being "busy" with a guy. Would using it so casually be insulting or overly-downplayed?

On the flipside, I wonder how any of our gay members would feel about doing something similar with their characters. I know Bevis had his character have a tryst (and babies!) with Hummer Lass. But at the same time, His character was clearly under a spell while mine would have no such 'out'. Would this kind of a character twist be less, more or as sensitive for a gay man to write about a character based upon himself as it is for me?

I'm listening!

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
(Oh, and I wanted to apologize to you and Eryk for not posting to the story threads for awhile. I've just been kind of blocked lately on my crazy-fun writing, and my creativity has been turning to more serious endeavors (like my story The Food Court. I do plan to be back contributing to the Super-Jailhouse very soon.)

I'l hold you to that, KP! Eryk is obviously getting frustrated as the story has turned into just me and him (or just me/him, if you subscribe to that theory! [Wink] ) exchanging posts (AGAIN!). I, however, am determined to bring this one to a conclusion (for ONCE!). However, your involvement, will help things proceed apace. It'll keep me energized and, hopefully, help get Eryk back into it.

In other words, hurry up and post!!!!

P.S. And thanks for the encouragement!

<edited for typos>

[ July 22, 2003, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: LARDLAD ]

--------------------

Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Ah, Lardy.... I think hanging out on the boards with all the gays guys has had a profound affect on you [Wink]

I figure, if it feels right for the character, why not? My characters aren't all THAT close to me personally (I'm actually a guy, for instance), although I share alot of personality traits with them. I use the characters (mainly Crujectra) to explore things that aren't necessarily me, or at least are parts of me that I don't usually access.

As for whether or not I would see my own characters as bisexual... I don't think so. I feel with Crusader I got the gay thing covered, and with Crujectra I got the straight thing covered. That's all the experimentation I see myself making [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Yet when both your personas ogle the same guy, 'Cru, whattaya do? {g}

Lardy, you can be glad that your character has taken on a life of his own, as Loser said. It's a tool (no innuendo, now!) to carry out what you may not be able, or willing, to explore yourself ... that is, if you want him to be.

You can have a strong control over what you want him to do, or decide to let consequences fall where they may. I've read and met writers, published and not, who follow both these paths. I tend toward the first, but I have a quite developed idea in my head when I finally get the drive going to write.

(Bisexuality as such is nothing to fear, either. Some of us *ahem!* would enjoy seeing it, as well ...)

Does the character behave with integrity, and are you willing to have him and his adventures emblazoned around the world? No matter what he does? Because it will be. Sooner or later.

In this age of Web spiders, such as at Google, and endless caches and archives, I wouldn't put anything on the Net -- even an e-mail -- that I would fear having proclaimed, in 120-point type or full color, on the front page of the New York Times. If someone is determined enough, it can be found.

That may shape what you choose to do. Don't be fearful of others, but keep in mind that we live in a "candid world," far more than when Jefferson wrote that phrase two centuries ago.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
All I want to say is that just because my character is a power mad cosmic villain, doesn't mean I am... or does it?

I'll get back to the story pretty soon. My creative energy just hasn't been flowing lately, at least not in that direction...

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Greybird:
Yet when both your personas ogle the same guy, 'Cru, whattaya do? {g}

My brother has learned over the years to back off when we want the same thing. I always win [Wink]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
ROOOWR!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

What can I say? I get what I want, and I DON'T share [Big Grin]

--------------------

Floating Foxlike Creature
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floating Foxlike Creature           Edit/Delete Post     
Bi bi baby!
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm. It's true the experimentation could lead to full-blown bisexuality... but what happens if... Lardlad falls for a guy? *GASP!*

Never say never, I always say...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Wait... if you're an alternate version of me... then does that mean I have sex with everyone you have sex with? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that notion...
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Triad Orange
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Triad Orange           Edit/Delete Post     
You'll get over it.
From: Cargg | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.