Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » "My" gallery ... shameless vanity and some thank-yous (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "My" gallery ... shameless vanity and some thank-yous
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Congratulations, Grey!

[Dawnstar]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for all the kind comments! The best place on that Net for sharing anything Legion is, indeed, right here.

And I'd just about rob the Interplanetary Bank, or try to, if it would help us to see someone's portrait of all five of our family *massive hint* ... You can find clear visuals of our father, Mistrider, and mother, Moonwalker, in these Legion issues:

~ "LSH" v2 n305, Dawny departs for her grand tour from the Starhaven temple (Giffen)
~ "LSH" v2 n311, Dawny returns from Wildfire and her tour, and is comforted (Colan)
~ "Who's Who in the LSH" 7, our folks attend a party for Legionnaires' parents (Swan splash page)

(Jim Sherman showed them differently in "Superboy" 240 and "Who's Who in the DCU" 6, but no other artist seemed to see them that way.)

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I liked Sherman's version better. I'd always imagined that Dawny's mother was really hard on her and her father was more nurturing. I was later proved wrong about that. Both her parents seem to be very loving.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Great portrait Dean! Although I don't know if Greybird will live down his sister being taller than he is. [Big Grin]
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

-

Edit: Re-linked to ImageShack copy

[ September 22, 2005, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Edit: The Dawnstar family portrait, referred to here, originally was posted before the Greybird portrait above. Dean withdrew it to make some changes and re-posted it below.

You see what I mean?! We have a great family portrait put together already by one of these stellar artists!?!? Is this a FABULOUS place or WHAT?!?!?!

You made my day, Dean, and it's only half over. I've already doffed my headband. A million thanks for that portrait. And you even picked up how I resemble our dad, and 'Fire and Dawny resemble our mother, as the other Legionnaires keep telling us. Very perceptive {familial grin}

Ah, and my brother and I are sitting in front, with Dawny behind and above us. Has to be done for portraiture on our planet. Just as "stadium seating" at the movies is the only way to go for those with wings! (Well, for the others around us in the theater to put up with our being there, certainly.)

[ December 11, 2003, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

YOICKS! Another one of me? While I was going gaga over the family portrait?? Using reflected starlight, even??? (with my being as typographically giddy as Matthew, methinks {g})

I'm just going to have to mortgage the townhouse here, next to the Consulate, and take you and your wife to dinner on Ventura, that's all there is to it, amigo.

I am now, shall we say, most-beholden-squared.

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Mmmm...Venturan Elvabird! My favorite!

You make it very gratifying to sketch and post, Greybird. Thank YOU. I'm glad you're pleased.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Sketch Lad
Advisor

I altered the family portrait a little bit. So, I removed the original posting and am now replacing it. Now I feel better ...

-

[ September 22, 2005, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

I couldn't resist bringing this over from Nightcrawler's adept-beyond-his-years early story about the Legion of Super-Kids ... here "I" am, front and back. Do go read his story!

-

[ September 22, 2005, 02:50 AM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks again Grey! I'll do an updated version for you.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

-

Dawnstar is a swipe from LSHv3 #56.

Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Yoicks! That looks just fabulous. And we get both me and my sister (braided look), in mid-flight yet! Gracias amigo.

You're showing a great deal of energy in how they look, with it often suggested by minimal sketching, and that's a more subtle achievement than it might appear. Dean also does this, through the shapes of his shorter lines, although he doesn't choose to ink or to "finish off" his sketches that often, as you're doing here.

I'll note that Gary also gave me both decoration around the eyes and a neckerchief, wholly fitting details that aren't quite as visible in the scan above.

The body build is notably slender, but it fits, with a kid that's 13 or 14. And as I see it, those who could fly would tend to be ectomorphs -- of taller and thinner build -- from both aerodynamic and wing-movement advantages.

And you did this just today? {/Wayne'sWorld ON} EXcellent! {/Wayne'sWorld OFF}

Nightcrawler
Founder

[Smile] Glad you like it. [Smile]

And thanks again for all of your kind words.

Saturn Girl
Always Leave Them Spellbound

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saturn Girl           Edit/Delete Post     
This is a wonderful showcase of art dedicated to Dawnstar and her family. Each one is so unique and lovingly crafted, and Gary, your addition today is very special. I look at your drawing and I wonder what they are thinking and where they are flying off to.

The short boots on Greybird are very nice, but the addition of fringes higher on his leg are a happy surprise. It's like he tied them on for a special occasion, or for the sheer enjoyment of the feeling of their movement in the wind as he flys. Or perhaps they are heading toward a celebration or clan gathering. I like Dawny's braid wrappings as well. A nice change of pace look which also might indicate a special event.

I really admire you talented people who can just sit down and bring these characters to life for the rest of us. Thank you so much! [Smile]

From: Utah (non-Mormon!!!) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.