Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » LMB Onevision: "Journeys and Destinies" (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: LMB Onevision: "Journeys and Destinies"
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Elagabolus watched on as Lard Lad made his way down the hill. As Stu battled the mage in the distance, Elag watched as the massive army of undead warriors swarmed towards Lard Lad with the intent to end his life.

Lard Lad looked on, and took in the scenery. He neither smiled nor looked grim, only determined to end this threat. He knew that of all the LMBers, only he could accomplish things like this, only he had the massive power reserves that could decide questions on a cosmic scale.

He was there big gun, and he was overjoyed that he could be relied on, although often overwhelmed that he would always be so. He knew that some LMBers loved him and respected him, although he knew that there were others who feared him and his power, and what Lardy knew was his possible dark side.

He pushed those thoughts out of his mind. He summoned his reserves of the Lard-force, knowing this would leave him tapped out afterwards, and began his onslaught of power.

Pure Lard-force rained down on the undead, as Lardy blew apart the skeletons and zombies into tattered bones and skin. He also ran down the hill in full battle mode, landing massive punches that destroyed anything he touched instantly.

Ripping through the army, Lard Lad reminded everyone, and himself, why he was the LMB’s big gun. As he moved, nothing remained in his wake.

After a minute, Elag could no longer see him moving down the mountain, although he could see the chaos that was left.

Suddenly, he ‘ported back to Elag, his job finished. He looked ragged, and strangely, very skinny. “I’m exhausted kid…but the job is done. You’re safe,” he said, with a slight smile.

“Th-that was amazing…” whispered Elag

“Wasn’t it though?” smiled Lardy back.

Iron Rat appeared next to them, also exhausted. “We need to get out of here now.”

“Right now!” yelled Grey Birdboy, holding Arachne and Lash by the hands, as Cobalt and IB followed suit, via Cobalt’s magnetism. “This whole mountain will collapse.”

“I’m tapped out,” said Lardy.

“I am too guys,” added Stu.

“Hang on,” said Cobalt, creating a large magnetic sphere around them. “I’ll get us as far away as we can.”

As the mountain began to collapse, Grey took the book back from Elag, and sighed that all the rest of the library was lost now for all time.

End Act III

[ May 28, 2004, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Act IV

The Last Leg of the Journey

As they floated through the air in Cobalt Kid’s magnetic sphere, no one said anything, as they began to breathe normally again, after having their lungs filled with smoke. Lash and Arachne held up the gifts that Stu had created for them back on Legion World: small amulets that shined light no matter how dark a place they were. Although the dust and smoke was enough to block Cobalt’s vision, this added light gave him enough of a guiding light to allow him to see where he was going.

Lard Lad, skinny and exhausted, held onto to Elagabolus’ shoulder, to try and give the boy some comfort. The boy said nothing now, and looked about the group wide-eyed. Iron Rat was also exhausted, and transformed himself into an owl again, in an attempt to make the load lighter for Cobalt Kid, since he was carrying them all. He perched on Elag’s shoulder, and whispered into his ear.

“How are you holding up?”

Elag looked at him, and felt a bit of shame. Shame for being so scarred again, and shame for channeling his anger into Cobie, which caused the mountain and library to fall apart. “I’m Ok,” was his reply.

“I know you’re scarred Elag,” said Stu, “but we’re getting there. You’ll see, things will work out.”

“Ok,” was the boys reply.

Grey Birdboy held onto the book that they had found, the chronicles of Sulla the wizard, before his terrible torment by Septimus, and now realized that there was ample light being provided for them by Lash and Arachne, as well as Elag and Stu. He put the book up to the light, and once again began reading as much about Septimus as possible. “With the way we are constantly losing our transportation and our items,” he thought, “I’d better read as much of this book as possible—before it too is destroyed.”

[ June 24, 2004, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Finally, they saw their cruiser in the distance. The Spartan army was long gone, which was a good thing, since the dust from a fallen mountain would surely have only brought them harm. Cobalt was exhausted from carrying them all, but it was better than having to walk back through the forest. Inside the cruiser was the renegade slavers that they had imprisoned earlier, and suddenly Cobalt worried if they had gotten free and the LMBers had yet another battle on their hands. Lardy needed to re-stock his weight to gain a stronger connection to the Lard-force, and Stu was more exhausted than he let on—he desperately needed sleep. He was tired himself and he knew that Lash and Arachne must be. Grey was reading fervently, and IB appeared to still have some energy left, although who knew how much he really had, since his youthful enthusiasm seemed to be an unending force unto itself.

As they approached the cruiser, Cobalt let them touch land again, and they all gladly felt the return to being in control of their own transportation. Cobalt gasped a sigh of relief. It felt like he had just held a weight over his head for hours and finally could put it down again.

“I’ll check the cruiser,” said Lash, who apparently also was worried about the slavers.

“I’ll go with you,” replied Stu-owl, who followed suit.

Lardy immediately went looking for food within the ships storage chambers, looking to replenish himself with whatever he could find. Grey continued to read as much as possible, hoping to learn what he could immediately.

Elag walked over to Cobalt. “Cobie?”

Cobalt looked at the boy. He felt a lot of pain, for both of them. “Elag,” he began. He felt so bad for the boy…but now felt a deep feeling of fear about him. “Elag, what happened back there?”

“I don’t know.”

Cobalt sighed. “Elag…you have to stop being angry. That’s not the way to go.” He looked at the young kid, barely ten years old. The boy, when he wanted to be, was quite the charmer. He was very smart, and was like any ten year old, more focused on having fun than anything. But that side of Elag hadn’t been seen now for awhile. “Elag, you have to stay in control of yourself. We’ve all gotten a raw deal out of this—I know this isn’t fair to you. But you can’t let that give you an excuse to act out of control.” Elag looked at him like he was going to cry. “Ok?”

Tears rolled down the boys cheeks. “Ok.”

“C’mere,” said Cobalt, who brought him in for a hug.

Elag held him tight, and smiled. And then he felt a large jolt, as Cobalt’s entire frame lunged forward. He realized he heard a loud noise as well. BAM.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Lash and Stu entered the cruiser to make sure the prisoners were still there. What they saw shocked them. They were all dead, half-eaten and burnt to death, a mess of charred flesh and blood and death. Lash had to turn his face, and turned to see Lardy entering.

“What is it?” said Lardy, “Lash, what’s wrong?”

“Don’t go in there. There all dead.”

“We’re in danger!” yelled Stu, in his owl form. “This must be a trap!”

And then the cruiser exploded into a million pieces.
-------------------------
Arachne turned to see Cobalt Kid shot through the back, and then lunge forward to the ground, undoubtedly dying from the gunshot wound. Elag fell backwards under Cobalt and began crying unbearably loud, weeping out of control.

She turned to see a young man, no older than them, smiling as the smoke from his blaster freshly went off. Before she could react further, the cruiser in back of her exploded.

Stu, Lardy and Lash were inside. And now they were dead. Deep in her heart, she felt an insurmountable rage building, and she leapt at the man who had just killed Cobalt Kid.

But then suddenly, out of nowhere, came a large army of large monsters, red and green in color, with large teeth and large bodies. They’ve been called a variety of things by people, but Trolls is the most common, and there appeared to be over a dozen coming at Arachne, with the intent to kill her, eat her, and then use her bones as weapons as they killed what was left of her friends.
-----------------------------
Grey Birdboy couldn’t believe what was happening. Yet again, they were in terrible danger, and this time were far too weak to do anything about it. He shut the book and picked his spear up, turning to see the last of the small regiment of trolls making their way into the fray.

Two ran at him as fast they could, and Grey didn’t hesitate to hurl his spear at one, directly smashing it through the beast’s face, ending it’s terrible existence. And then he felt a terrible pain, as his arm was sliced open, and the book fell to the ground.

The young man who had shot Cobalt grinned at Grey, coming back at him with a knife, and Grey reacted by hurling him to the side and taking to the air.

Things had suddenly gone very wrong.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Tarquin smiled at his fortune, and laughed at how things had worked out so well. He had been tracking this band for weeks, and had no success, until Septimus had sent him word that his agent had found them and was moving in for the kill. Although this was good for Septimus, it was not so for Tarquin, who wished to prove himself. He requested his own group of Septimus’ underlings, and followed Sulla to this place, to wait and see what the outcome was.

It was perfect. Sulla failed, but had weakened the LMBers to the point were they were useless in battle. The trap was easy, and he smiled on his good fortune to blow up three LMBers immediately, and then shoot one through the back before he could do anything.

He got up from where Grey Birdboy had thrown him and made a small promise to clip that one of his wings when he got the chance. He regretted that the pretty one was going to be devoured by the Trolls, but he’d find another woman to celebrate his victory with. And now all that was left was the little boy. This boy had provided him with unending trouble and caused him to almost be convinced at his own ineptitude, since it took him forever just to find the little bastard. He figured he owed the boy just a little scar across the face for his trouble.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The Trolls began pushing and shoving each other to make it through to Arachne, hoping to get at least a large bite of flesh before she was devoured away. The pushing and shoving increased, until it stopped due to an increasing yelling going on by those closest to her. “She’s gone!” they screamed, angry that their hunger could not be sated. “Where is the meat?!”

Quietly, Arachne hurried away, in spider-form, undetected by the idiotic oafs that thought she’d be taken down so easily. Her mind was registering all that was going on, and she had to try and figure out how so many LMBers had gone down so fast. She now realized that Cobalt was shot, Stu, Lardy and Lash were dead, and Grey Birdboy was the only one left, taking to the sky to try and fight this large unit of enemies. Wait, there was one more…there was IB.
---------
Invisible Brainiac watched on invisible in horror, unsure if this was truly happening. It now appeared that five of his brethren were dead, and Grey Birdboy would follow suit soon enough. He had to do something, but what? As he prepared to fire into the crowd of trolls and end their existence, he realized that Elagabolus was now in a very real danger.

This whole damn quest was about the boy, about protecting him. This, it now seemed, was the price of his security: dead heroes, fallen for something that IB wasn’t even sure of anymore. He wasn’t about to let their deaths be in vain. As he ran to see if Elag was still under the dead Cobalt Kid, he saw Tarquin approaching, a smile on his face.

“Scarred, you little bastard,” smiled Tarquin as he taunted Elagabolus. “You should be. You’re guardians are all dead—or at least, they all will be soon enough, and then I’m bringing you to the black wizard, and I’m sure you know what I mean.” In Tarquin’s hands were the book that Grey Birdboy had rescued from the library. The book that held the information they needed to find Septimus.

Tarquin stopped, and pulled out a torch, carefully wrapped in oiled linens. He threw the book to the ground, and laughed. Taking out a match, he scratched it against a large rock that was next to him and lit it. Immediately, he put it to the torch, lighting the massive flame. “Now…you’ll see the futility of all you thought you accomplished.” He throw the torch down on the ancient manuscript and let out a howling laugh at seeing the book burn. Elag shed a tear, knowing that Grey would be sad.

“Now…rumor is that you have some terrible power, that might burn me alive or some shit,” said Tarquin. “Well guess what tiny? That shit don’t work on me. Septimus figured you’d keep trying to use that, so he gave me a little protection of my own—against all magic. You’re powers can’t hurt me boy.”

Now, Elagabolus finally felt a fear that was new to him. This time, he knew, no one would save him. Now he couldn’t even use his power.

“Oh…” said Tarquin, “…one more thing. I think I’m going to make you suffer a little first,” he added, re-opening his knife, and bending over to put it to the boy’s face.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Cobalt Kid felt extraordinary pain, as his back felt hot and sticky. He knew that it was his blood coming out too fast, and then his spine had been shattered. He felt like he was going to die, and he wondered if finally, this time he really was. And strangely, he felt a calm sense of freedom, and wondered if this was indeed a good thing.

He attempted to move his arms or legs, and realized that this was futile. He could feel Elag under him, unable to move because of Cobalt’s weight, and was positive that Elag must be crying at this point. He felt bad for the little guy. Elag may have scarred him a little, but he wasn’t so bad. He was just a scarred kid, and Cobalt had become kind of attached to him.

He thought about it, and realized that Elag was his chance at redemption. Years earlier, Dr. Albert Hoffman promised him that he would never have the chance to raise his own children, that somehow they’d become evil or sent away. Sadly, Dr. Hoffman’s promise had held true. Cobalt had six children that he knew of, and four of them had become terrible monsters bent on killing him. One was so evil, that he and Space Tart actually left the LMB for a time to get away from it all. The other two, Numf-El and Umber (although it was impossible to figure out exactly how Numf-El was his child), were full-grown by the time he met them, and almost his exact age (Numf was actually older).

In fact, Cobalt remembered feeling this way before once, when he thought Dr. Hoffman had killed him. That bastard had tortured him for so long, that Cobalt had lost the ability to cry or shed a tear. Even after Spacey’s death, he couldn’t do it, and Spacey’s death was the most terrible thing to ever happen to him. Sure, his life on his home planet and with his parents was terrible, and the torture of Dr. Hoffman almost broke him—but Spacey’s death killed him.

And now he hoped that maybe this was the end, and that he was free to find her once again. He did love her, more than he ever realized in life, and he would have been monogamous with her, something he had never done before. His constant flirtations were nothing more than a defense to his insecurity over her loss, and he’d easily give them back up for her. But she was dead, and he’d have to give up life itself to see her again.

Spacey. Dr. Hoffman. And now Elagabolus, the last chapter of his life. Although…he shouldn’t give up so easily, he couldn’t let the boy down. He made a promise to help him, and if he died, Elag might not make it through. Dammit, he realized, he had to live for Elag! What about the boy?! He could feel Elag crying under him, and he knew it was over unless he could move.

He had a broken spine and was losing a lot of blood. But Cobalt felt the knew powers inside him, and remembered that he had somehow gained the power of life. That he could heal, and he could make life grow in places that it did not seem possible.

Couldn’t he somehow heal himself? For Elag then…he’ll go back to the world where pain and suffering were mandatory.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Tarquin reached over, and yanked Elagabolus out from underneath Cobalt, as the boy screamed in terror. The boy was crying uncontrollably now, and punched and kicked, although Tarquin easily lifted him.

“Stop being such a sissy, you little bastard,” smiled Tarquin throwing him hard to the ground. He pointed his knife at Elag’s face. “I’m only gonna cut you a little.”

Seconds later, Invisible Brainiac landed the hardest punch he had ever thrown in his entire life, smashing into Tarquin’s temple, in an attempt to knock him as far away as he could. He had seen enough. This man was a bastard, and he was not going to let him cut a little boy. It was a sucker-shot and an invisible one, and it felt better than any punch he had ever thrown.

Tarquin went flying backwards, and tripped over his own feet. “What the fuck?! Who is that?! Come out and face me!”

Invisible Brainiac ran over and kicked him in the ribs as hard as he could. Tarquin dropped his knife and held clutched onto his body. “My name is Invisible Brainiac you son of a bitch, and I’m an LMBer! And you picked the wrong kid to play games with!” IB suddenly became visible again—he wanted this piece of crap to know who was beating him senseless.

Tarquin screamed in pain, as Elag watched on, no longer crying, but praying that Invisible Brainiac would save him. IB punched on, hammering his blows into Tarquin’s face. Tarquin rolled with the punches, trying to get back up, and get his bearings together. He had been in so many fights before, he knew he could take this kid. But damn…he was in pain.

He lunged for his knife, and finally, grabbed it! He turned, hoping to slash this Invisible Brainiac across the throat, but missed, and caught a hard shot into his gut. As he fell forward, IB grabbed his blade, and held his arm backwards, so that Tarquin’s own knife came to his face, and cut his across his lips.

The pain was tremendous. Immediately, he dropped the blade, as the hot blood shot forth from his face and lips, and Tarquin knew that this boy had just scarred his beautiful face. He fell to his knees in pain.

Invisible Brainiac let him go, and ran back to Elagabolus, who was staring strait ahead. “It’s Ok Elag, I’m here.”

Then IB looked up, and saw trolls converging on him.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Four trolls circled the area where Grey Birdboy floated, poised and ready to attack. He knew the odds weren’t good, but he was ready to make these beasts work for their victory.

Then he saw a sight that brought him instant relief: Arachne grew back up to normal size in the distant, and blasted her webbing across the ankles of the hideous trolls, without saying a word. In stride, she ran across to where Grey’s spear stuck into the face of some troll, pulled it out, and threw it back to Grey, so he could catch it and then hurl it back down in an instant, threw another troll’s face. Neither hero said a thing now, focusing more on survival now than anything.

-----------------
IB and Elagabolus looked up, and saw the trolls, about a dozen in all, converging on them. As IB prepared to unleash the full fury of his light powers, something strange began happening.

The Trolls began to grow skinny, as their flesh began leaving their bodies. The appeared to be decaying in a strange way, as if everything was being ripped off them but their bones. Suddenly, the twelve trolls dropped, as nothing remained but bone—like a piece of meat that had just been cooked and eaten until nothing was left but bone.

Lard Lad stood in the center, fully rejuvenated, after sucking the lard and fat off the trolls. In doing so, he had killed them all, but he didn’t care at this point, and felt good in knowing that their death’s had led to his power-up. No one would question him on this ever, and it would never be brought up again. He had saved Elagabolus and they were all too emotionally exhausted at this point.

Minutes earlier, Lash and Stu yelled for them to get out, and somehow, Lardy instinctly used the Lard-force to ‘port them out of the cruiser, sensing it would blow up. He was exhausted and thought to have nothing left, and for a few minutes, the three were stuck in some sort of limbo, until Lardy forced himself on pure willpower to have them reappear. Now, he rejuvenated himself. Lash walked over to IB and put his arm on his shoulder. He picked up Elag.
-----------------
As Arachne and Grey Birdboy finished off the trolls, Stu joined them, blasting a cone of intense cold, which encased the trolls in a sheet of ice, freezing them immediately. There, frozen in a wall of ice that would not melt in the sun, the trolls no longer posed any problem or threat. Now, Stu was exhausted beyond all belief.
-------------------
Lardy, IB, Lash and Elag looked down at Cobalt’s body, ready to cry at the thought that there friend was dead, and saw a blue aura emanating from him. His body was healing itself, and the bleeding stopped. He turned over, so that he was on his back, and they saw he was alive.
“Cobie…,” said Elag, “you’re alive”

Cobalt nodded, the healing obviously taking a lot out of him, “I’m here for you Elag.”
--------------------
Tarquin witnessed the destruction of the trolls, and realized that he had to leave immediately. While the LMBers tended to Elag and their wounds, he knew they would come back for him.

Jumping back to his feet, he ran as fast as he ever did before into the near woods, and tried to make sure they lost him. He wouldn’t let them catch him, and he’d get away this time.

But he promised himself that one day he’d have revenge on the LMBer called Invisible Brainiac.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

It took them awhile to speak again. Once more, Elagabolus had come close to dying. Their job of protecting him seemed to be one that was beyond their capabilities. Their ship was destroyed. The book revealing the whereabouts and truths of Septimus was destroyed as well.

Elag looked up, a look of sheer panic and terror on his face. Tarquin would have cut him, that much was clear. A strange feeling of guilty pleasure welled up in Elag’s mind, knowing that Invisible Brainiac had cut Tarquin across the face and scarred him permanently—the once pretty face of the bastard was now a hideous reminder of his evil soul.

Cobalt looked down at the ground and thought about what had just happened. Was he really willing to let it all go? Did he really want to die? Or was it just the thought of being with Space Tart again.

Lardy didn’t speak either, and no one spoke to him. He had just killed a score of trolls without a second though, replenishing himself with their lard. They were going to kill them. He didn’t feel that bad. But he felt the eyes of Arachne and Invisible Brainiac on him, clearly surprised at how permanent his power could be.

Stu looked around. A strange thought occurred to him, as he pondered to himself how they could have ever decided the safest place for the boy to be was away from Legion World and on a journey to destroy Septimus. What exactly were they thinking? It now seemed that they were destined to screw up and deliver the boy directly to Septimus’ door. There was no question that the thing to do now was to find a way to get Elag away from them as quickly as possible. But the thought seemed to slip away from him…and he thought better of it. After all, the safest place for the boy was with those who were the most inclined to protect him and had the power to do so.

Grey Birdboy broke the silence. “The book is lost. Destroyed.”

“We know Grey,” replied Lash. “We lost any hope of knowing where to go.”

Grey turned, looking Lash in the eyes, and a smile suddenly appeared on his face. Grinning, he said “Lash, I’m offended. I assure you that my memory is just as keen as my tracking sense has always been. I was able to read enough to learn where we need to go. I can get us there. I’m sure of it.”

Arachne looked up, as if adrenaline had suddenly come back into her. “You’re sure? You can get us there? Of course, with your tracking power, I bet you could…” she continued, pausing to think. “How can we get there. We have to move fast now, its only a matter of time before another attack, and Septimus seems to have no trouble in finding us.”

“Agreed,” said Grey. “Getting there is the next problem.”

“Easily fixed,” said Stu joining in on the conversation, as Lard Lad and Invisible Brainiac joined him in walking over to the other. “Sulla was able to get here somehow, wasn’t he? I can sense an intense magical aura not far from here. I used a scrying spell before to tell me what it was, and it’s a magical ship. Some type of ancient dead ship that will be able to fly us where we need to be. Although I’m willing to bet that it reeks of death and decay. But once we get to Septimus’ castle, what do we do then? It is supposed to be impenetrable, isn’t it? How will we get in? I won’t be able to teleport us in, not with his defensive spells, and I’m sure the same goes for Lardy.”

“That’s easy Stu,” said Cobalt, who was still sitting away from them. “He’s going to let us all in. We have Elag, don’t we? We have the one thing he wants, and we’re bringing it to him. The only way we could ever get in would be for him to let in Elag.”

As Cobalt’s hard words ended, they all quietly realized that he was right. The only way to get to Septimus would be to have Elag with them. Strangely, Elag appeared to be unaffected by these words, and silently nodded.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Sulla’s ship was as terrible as they could have imagined. The wood on the ship appeared to be old and decaying, and as smooth lacquer that looked and smelt like old dried blood covered it all around. Certain spots on the deck seemed to emanate feelings of remorse and terrible pain, and a terrible sense of foreboding hung over their heads now. As Grey and Stu walked up to the mast, the ship began to move without any indication of how. The sails did not move as the ship entered space, and no one cared to ask how they were breathing in space. “I’ll direct us to where we need to go,” said Grey, and no one replied.

Cobalt walked over to Elag, who for the first time in a long time, appeared to be calmer and collected than anyone else. Cobalt’s eyes felt sunken into his head, and his five o’clock shadow had now become a beard on his tired and dirty face. He had his cloak over his head, so the hood hung down around his forehead. “Elag,” he began, but the boy replied before he could finish.

“I’m alright Cobie,” he said. “I know what has to happen now.”

Cobalt felt stunned and unsure what this meant. “Elag, I know that this has been a terrible journey. I know that you’re scared.”

“No, I’m not scarred. Not anymore. I’m sorry that you all have been put through this.”

Once again, Cobalt was left unsure. “No, it’s us who are sorry. I’m sorry for dragging you through this. I’m sorry for what we have to do now. It’s going to be alright, I promise you. I made that promise already, and I’m sticking to it.”

“I know Cobie,” said Elag. “You’ve been the greatest people I’ve ever known. Thank you for everything. It’s going to be Ok.”

“Elag, what’s wrong?” said Cobalt, “I know things have been rough, but we’ll get through it. We won’t let it end the way he wants it too.”

Elag was silent for a moment. “What is going to happen is going to happen.”

“No,” said Cobalt. “There is no destiny, do you hear me? There is no certain future. You have to understand that. Destiny is nothing, it’s false. There is only choices. I know you’ve been through a lot, but you have to keep going. Don’t give up on me Elag. Don’t give in to some…destiny. You have to choose. Please.”

Elag looked at him, and nodded.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Grey Birdboy noticed it too. Elag was acting differently than before, and it was strange. Instead of being scarred as he should have been he seemed indifferent to what was going on around him. Invisible Brainiac stood next to Grey. He too had not said a word since the fight with Tarquin.

Arachne joined them. “I know what you’re thinking IB, and I’m going to tell you right now: do not feel guilty about what happened. In our line of work, there is a fine line we all walk, and we’ve all sworn never to do unnecessary cruelty to another person. But that bastard had it coming. You had no choice, and with your friends possibly dead and a boy’s life on the line, your instincts kicked in and took over. And it’s better to listen to your instincts if it means saving lives. Now look at me.” IB looked her in the eyes, and she stared back coolly. “We won’t talk any more of it. But when you remember this day, remember that you saved a boy’s life.”

IB nodded. “Ok.” Arachne smiled. She began to walk away. “Thanks Al,” he said. She nodded back.

“And so we finish it,” said Grey in what felt like a whisper, as IB stayed silent. Now Lardy joined them. “The dark mage Septimus.”

“The man who fears the world so much he wants to destroy it,” said Lardy, reciting the description of Septimus he had heard so much.

“Funny thing fear…” said Grey, “…when it drives you to become what you fear the most. Elag is full of it now. But can anyone truly put a price on security? How long do we have to pretend we can beat what we fear into submission before we stop swinging blindly?”

Neither Lardy or IB spoke.

Grey continued. “Septimus is his name. It quite literally means “seven”. In the book I read, it says that Septimus was named because he was the seventh son of his parents, the preceding six all having names along the same lines. A prophecy spoke of the seventh son of a seventh son being a great terror that would be unleashed on man. By chance or luck, or maybe even fate, Septimus inherited this unfortunate curse. They feared him his whole life, and all he ever knew as a boy was pain and death. One day, he fought back hard enough to repay their terror in kind, but tenfold. And ultimately the prophecy was correct—he did bring a great terror. Because of meaningless fear. Strangely, this same fear seems to be the usher of a different but strangely similar situation. I, for one, am tired of letting fear and destiny rule my life.” Grey turned to them and nodded, and went to find some way of rest on the terrible ship.

Lardy looked at IB and smiled. IB responded and added “we’re almost there now, aren’t we.”

Lardy looked ahead. “I think we’ve already figured everything out that is going to be of any use to us. But in literal terms…it’s almost over now.”

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

A lone building barred the path on the strange stream they now floated on. At some point, they entered some strange planet where there didn’t seem to be any light. Dark hills went on for miles, and the grass seemed to be some reddish brown color of drying mud. Small huts and tents were scattered across the landscape and a race of people were unfortunate enough to live on the planet. The lifeless eyes of the inhabitants here spoke one thing: this was a place were hope was a thing of distant memory.

The building appeared to be some sort of old religious structure, possibly abandoned. On closer inspection there were people living there, as men women walked around in plain brown robes not speaking to one another. Lash spotted one man carrying water and reckoned that a viable source of water was really all that was needed before the journey came to an end.

Magically, Stu stopped the ship from moving, and Lash, Cobalt and Lardy got off to ask if there was any way they could get water. Once they entered the building though, they wished they hadn’t. It was a monastery and all the inhabitants were hard at work, trying not to be bothered by what suddenly felt like the petty problems of the universe.

“Can I help you? said a voice, as a tattered old man joined them.

“We’re looking for water sir,” said Lash, “we’ve been on quite a journey and were hoping you could spare some.”

“Of course,” said the old man, who looked at Lardy and Cobalt. He looked back at Lash. “It appears young man, that you are the one who is least in need of help at moment. Let me get your water.”

None of the three said a word, as Lardy and Cobalt looked at one another quizzically. The man returned right after. As he approached, Cobalt felt his strange new powers flare up instantly and then subside again. It had a soothing affect and Cobalt felt a strange feeling of release as the man stood next to him.

“Thank you,” said Lash as he grabbed a few jugs of water.

The man looked at Cobalt and Lardy. “My boys, believe me, one day, it will all be alright.”

Wondering if the old man was crazy or talking nonsense, the three walked back to the ship.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Act V

The Man Who Feared the World

The castle stood strait up into the air and had no windows or doors in sight. Only a balcony high up near the top indicated that there was any entrance to it, although the LMBers knew that entering that way was probably the worst idea they could have.

A chill seemed to be in the air, and the anticipation of this event had filled them up with enough anxiety to make them all wish they were somewhere else. As the ship moved quietly along the water, dread began to fill them. The air grew thicker and the sunless sky suddenly felt very hot on their faces. Silence beamed loudly at them.

Quietly, two large doors appeared on the side of the castle in a place where they could not have been two seconds before. They opened. Looking down at their feet, each LMBer said a soft word or two to themselves to remind themselves what it was they were fighting for.

Cobalt held onto Elag who didn’t seem to be nervous at all. Quietly, the ship entered.

[ June 24, 2004, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The gifts Stu had created for Lash, Arachne and Elag shined brightly as darkness surrounded them on all sides. Stu whispered the first spell that he had committed to memory and a large purple ball appeared around him and Elagabolus, as a shield against magical spells ensured their protection. Elag also had the various gifts Stu had created for him: bracers and a vest to make sure it was near to impossible for him to be damaged by any weapons.

Skeletons lined the walls of the docking space, and before anyone could figure out what they were going to do, things started happening at a quicker rate. Stu spoke out loud, barking out orders, but it was hard to hear what was going on. A low-pitched noise began echoing in the hallways, until it continually grew louder and louder to the point where it resembled a high-pitched scream. A spear flew at them somewhere and it began. Lardy erupted as Lardforce sprayed everywhere, and the LMBers began the fight of their lives.

Stu held Elag close and let loose a series of fireballs and lightning bolts that cleared the way for a path to unfold itself before them. Lash and Arachne used the skills that had saved them so far and made their way through the skeletons confident in their abilities. Cobalt and Grey flew into the sky and began unleashing their fury amidst the yelling and war cries that were on both sides of the fight. Lardy and Invisible Brainiac let loose their powers with no remorse for the damage in their wake.

All at once, things were too chaotic for anyone to know what was going on. Skeletons and zombies poured out of ever direction, and Cobalt remembered why he had picked the most powerful LMBers to be present among them. Debris and bone littered the hallways and the castle felt the full fury of a war.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.