Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Museum of Legion Arts: The Wing Wing (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Museum of Legion Arts: The Wing Wing
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
 -

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

-

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey, great job with the story Dean!! (even though Drake got the shaft -- but that's just always his luck isn't it?) If this were a real story, I'm sure there would have been more time to develop the Dawny/Doctor relationship before Dawny decided that it was love. I can't help but think she would have had more angst about just dropping Wildfire, but that's me.

I like how the first page set up a possible danger when it was really a relationship problem she was running from. The Bounty/Drake in Dirk's body was a nice parallel, loved the big moment of Dawny seeing her wings returning (and not just cuz she was in her undies), Drake showing his "face" was a bit shocking, especially since he thought it would reassure her. I also liked the bits of Wildfire characterization where he humbly points out that she should be thanking the doc and also his internal angst of sensing her attraction to the doc and deciding they were through (or that he was being rejected) rather than actually confront the issue. The triple parallel narrative on the last page was also very nicely done!

[ July 16, 2004, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: DrakeB3003 ]

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
"My wings! They're growing back!"

I have been waiting ten years for someone to depict this. Thank you, Dean!

You just closed an esthetic hole in my spirit.

What DrakeB said, immediately above, is about what I could say after climbing down from my exhilaration.

If she would be getting her body back -- all of it -- I believe she and Wildfire would have found that to be the time to move on. It's all shown briefly but vividly. You can tell a story, amigo, don't let anyone say anything different.

Christmas in July, indeed! In seven frames, and with three of Ornitho's presence to boot.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Woah!! Fantastic WANDERERS & Ornitho pics, Dean!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Sketch Lad
Advisor

DrakeB3003,
Glad you liked the story. You really noticed a lot of the points that mattered. I will say, though, that all the things on the last page are just being thought. No one has made any declarations or actual decisions yet. In my mind, and I may be blowing the next chapter by saying this, Dawny just has a crush on the bearer of good news. The fact that he's handsome doesn't hurt. As a Wildfire fan, I'm sure you were paying attention to him in this story. Obviously, he and Dawny have more discussions to have about the body and soul issue. I have ideas about that. I think Dr. Michael is a bit naive and a bit of a goody two shoes. I have plans for this love triangle!

Grey,
I'm glad page 5 worked so well. You don't know how bad I wish some bored inker was out there wishing for some semi-rough pencils for him/her to use to master his/her craft. I just cannot make the time to polish off or ink my artwork.

I do plan on finishing this story, I have some ideas. Perhaps I can keep you interested by telling you the name of an upcoming chapter..."Next First Flight." Be there.

LASH!! Thanks! It's actually pretty hard to draw the costumes that Win Mortimer designed because his characters are always in action. Also, he was guilty of being a tad inconsistent from panel to panel, so some of it is guessing. I am still somewhat fascinated with drawing contemporary versions of his groovy characters, though. He had some doozies! Glad you like.

You guys keep me going when I don't really have time or energy to keep going!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
"Perhaps I can keep you interested"? "This love triangle"?? "Discussions about the body and soul issue"??? "Next First Flight"????

And you exhort me needlessly to "Be there." Wild super-powered horses couldn't drag me away, amigo.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Dean -- great to hear that this really is only the "beginning" of the story. I look forward to seeing how this develops. We haven't had the ol' Drake/Dawny angsty lovestory in quite awhile! I certainly hope time opens up for you one day so you can grace us with some finished work!

Turning my attention to the other great work here:
dean -- great to see Dawny and Shikari stand toe to toe -- and cheek to cheek! My my, that is indeed one sexy Dawnstar (now that'd be an interesting love triangle...).
M-E Lad -- I like the barefoot look -- very in keeping with her imagery (and she's certainly tough enough to not really need footwear). Oh yeah, she's also pretty sexy too (hubba hubba). I watch the Sopranos but didn't recognize the actress which helps the illusion.
Cobalt Kid -- you rhyme-meister you! Great sentiments and nicely constructed. Makes me miss her presence all the more.
Grey -- thanks for sharing. The M'on/Dawny pairing makes more sense the more I see it.
minesurfer -- nice looking figure -- love the wings and the updated costume -- she looks tough!
Fat Cramer -- It wasn't my intention to have Dawny flapping her arms. i just like the look of the fringes flying up (must be the cosmic currents [Smile] )

I kinda miss Numf's contributions - his previous one's have been very original. Maybe for the founders...?

[ July 16, 2004, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: DrakeB3003 ]

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
You know, it's funny, one thing that really struck in looking at Dean's pages (though I've noticed it before), is that it really seems like there's something missing when Dawnstar is drawn without wings. You'd think she'd just look like a normal humanoid, so it wouldn't be that jarring, but I consistently find it somewhat unnerving to see her depicted without wings.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
And thanks for the Ornitho as well, Dean!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

EDE, I agree with you, that Dawnstar just doesn't look like Dawnstar without wings. Also, Immonen drew her with layered hair, which is a major superficial change for her, so I went with that in my sequences. I kept looking at my own drawings of her, imagining them with the silky straight parted-in-the-middle hairstyle, asking myself if her facial features were right.
Glad you like the Ornitho drawings, too. Mortimer kept the mask really simple, but Giffen gave it more flair. It was interesting to decide how to draw him.

I've written/sketched several pages to follow up on the Dawnstar Story. I'll be scanning and posting when I get the chance. Gotta get done before the end of July! Deadlines!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Sketch Lad
Advisor

I've written a 16 page follow-up to the story I began. I've begun scanning and lettering. You all couldn't read my chicken scratch hand lettering. It'll take me a while to get it all done. Maybe I'll post in groupings....

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Sketch Lad
Advisor

-

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Sketch Lad
Advisor

-

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Sketch Lad
Advisor

-

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.