Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Notes on my Multi-Vision: The Eight Impossible Space Mission

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Notes on my Multi-Vision: The Eight Impossible Space Mission
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
About over a year ago, in November 2004, I began plotting and writing a large Onevision with a specific purpose: to highlight close to the majority of the LMB at that exact time, in November/December of 2004. During that time frame, as usual for this time of year, there was a period of relative inactivity, following a very active and intense September and October on the boards.

The problem was that the Onevision was growing far larger than I had planned, and eventually, business in my life in regards to a full-time job, grad school, etc. kind of took the wind out of my sails and I really didn’t get far into it.

Before that happened, I had decided that I was going to do it in a different format: Eight mini-Onevisions with a specific short story and characters, all relating to a much larger event. This of course, was inspired by Grant Morrison’s Seven Soldiers series. The much larger event, after plotting it out, became an even larger Onevision, which made it even more massive.

As an entire year has gone by, I’m afraid it might never get finished. Additionally, I’ve spent a ton of time writing “The LMB History & Timeline”, as well as my parts in “21st Century Legion”, which I’ve recently become inspired to write a lot again, mainly by Reboot.

Further, the main starting point of the entire Onevision was that it would feature the line-up of LMBers most active during the months of Nov-Dec 2004, during the early months of Kid Prime’s term as leader (let’s not even get started on future leaders here [Big Grin] ). Being a year ago, much has changed since then, and despite my intentions being good, I can’t help but feel guilty that such a large Onevision might not include the large amount of newer members in the last year, a large portion of whom have become quite prominent (and let’s face it—6 months on Legion World means you’re really not a newer member either).

So…given all that, I’ve decided that maybe one day I will get to writing this humongous story, if I can get the inkling to write a whole lot for a variety of projects one bored Sunday afternoon. In the meantime, I think I’m just going to give a brief synopsis of what each chapter would have been like. I very much intend to include this in its own section for the ‘History & Timeline’, mainly because there are very little LMB adventures during Kid Prime’s term up until ‘the Good, the Dark & the Dead’ and the ‘De-facto Yellow Kid/Harbinger term’.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

On the story front, the idea was to have eight short stories, each one highlighting a select few LMBers. I also planned on weaving a much larger story, which created a very large threat to the LMB, in a variety of different ways, which I’ve called “The Black Sun”. Given my penchant for huge, cosmic, galaxy-shattering stories, the second half, much larger Onevision would have ended up being a struggle on Crisis level proportions, with an enemy on par with Ekron and the Anti-Moderator, called Sol Invictus.

At this time, I have two mini-onevisions written and posted on Legion World, with one more almost completely written and saved in my email. Maybe I’ll post that one soon. Also, I intended to have four or five interludes throughout the main story.

These early mini-onevisions would build upon the long-standing LMB history, as well as my own past Onevisions and the themes presented in those, most notably in “The Price of Security” and “Journeys and Destinies”. I’ve written at length on those before, and within those, I created a whole bunch of characters that I wanted to evolve in further stories.

Casting a shadow on all of this, is the continued attempt in my writing to bring the LMB ever closer to their one-day time of great troubles, which I hinted at in my past stories, specifically involving Elagabolus. Elagabolus, as many of you know, is the little boy in “Price of Security” found on Legion World and under the protection of Cobalt, Stu and the rest of the LMB. He is a nexus for magical energy in the universe, a being/event/location that only appears every few thousand years. Like Atlantis or Merlyn, Elagabolus has magical power on a scale undreamed of previously in LMB lore, and it is prophesized that one day he will be the cause of the LMB disbanding for a period of five years (followed directly by the Tag story “Five Years Later”). During that story, Elagabolus’ presence causes many enemies to come to Legion World, resulting in the LMB deciding to take him abroad with a specific group. It also comes to pass that he loses the healing portion of his powers (essentially the good, creative energy, which goes to Cobalt Kid) and maintains only the destructive portion—thereby furthering the prophecy, in that his power is now corrupt and no longer pure, and retains only the harsh magic which births destructions and death.

Here is my Onevision “The Price of Security”, by far the one I am most proud of.

Here is a thread dedicated to Sidenotes on the “Price of Security” which goes far more into depth on the above paragraph.

Following “Price of Security”, I wrote the story of the journey of Elagabolus and the seven (actually eight) LMBers who take him, which is meant to be an odyssey, but also an imminent failure for the LMB, which results in Elag separating from them, and actually being the destroyer of his enemies, thereby possibly setting him on the path that the LMB most wished to avoid. While the entire two stories mainly centered on my own themes of security, destiny and being able to control your own fate, this story, as well as “Price” allowed me to introduce a bunch of story ideas and concepts I had been kicking around.

Here is “Journeys and Destinies”.

Now…getting to “Eight Impossible Space Missions”. I had planned on using many of these past characters in the mini-Onevisions, to give some general background for the LMBs (giving them a mission and something to do), as well as progressing the stories of these various new characters that are essentially “Cobalt’s characters”. The more I’ve thought about it, the more I’ve begun to link their fates to the fate of Elagabolus too.

Further, I wanted to establish the other side to the Elagabolus threat looming over the LMB’s head. Namely, how could a young boy, age ten, go from a shy, scared kid, to the most powerful and horrible threat ever? Well, I wanted to set up the much larger threat, and much larger evil that will turn him into that threat, and that’s where I came up with the Black Sun.

(Jeepers…I sure am a wordy son of a bitch, eh?)

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

So here’s how I planned on doing the story:

- Eight little onevisions in their own thread, with one larger thread for all eight, with added interludes, like a trade paper back. I’ve only posted chapters 1 and 2 so far, with 3 almost all written.

Here is the TPB version of “The Eight Impossible Space Missions”.

Here’s how it would have broken down

Mission 1: Danger Damsel and the Bag of Bones
Mainly, this was the introduction chapter, meant on beginning the story, and doing it in a way to catch people off guard. It centers on Danger Damsel, essentially a former LMB academy student, who is about to embark on changes in her life. The story begins with her, and moves directly into the threat of Deathstroke Kid, who is on Legion World, stealing items from the LMB’s Repository of Lost Artifacts (which is a thread begun by Stu long ago). Nightcrawler enters the fray to help her, and we see that there’s only really Nighty and Abin on Legion World among the LMB at this time. Further, something is happening at the end that remains unclear—purple flares and the beginning of something much larger.

Danger Damsel and the Bag of Bones

What I wanted to do was this:

- Danger Damsel is introduced, although we’ve seen her before. She was Anne in ‘Price of Security’, the scared date of Cobalt Kid that is almost killed. We again see her in “Villains and Victims”, which began as a response I felt after reading Identity Crisis #2 and my feelings towards the treatment of women in comics. In that Onevision, I show her retaking control of her life (against Tarquin, a minor villain from “Journeys”), and deciding to move forward.

- I like Danger Damsel, inspired by a drawing I made up sometime ago, and wanted to show how from the final scene in “Victims” she had progressed into a confident, tough young woman, after a period in the LMB academy and training by Harbinger and Numf-El. She’s not an LMBer, since she has no powers, but she’s someone who actively looks forward to controlling her life, and is sucked into the fray, when Deathstroke Kid attacks.

- I wanted to show Deathstroke Kid, my favorite of the Titans Month monikers, and add him into LMB lore officially. This was of course Lightning Lad’s name during Titan’s Month, and the subsequent dual in the streets of LW between Nightcrawler and Lightning Lad seemed cool to me.

- And we see the beginnings of the Black Sun, which may or may not be a secret society or cult.

Mission 2: The LMB Space Wedding
This was a pure buddy/comedy bit for me, and IMO, one of the funniest, most pleasing things I’ve written. I wanted to show a group of LMBers, who obviously don’t always see eye to eye (well, mainly Cobalt Kid and Reboot), and show hilarious scene after another—really, classic LMB action. It has Cobalt Kid, Reboot, Space Ranger, Actor Lad, Outdoor Miner and Kid Vudoo (my name for RTVU). I also couldn’t wait to show Actor’s power [Big Grin]

I also wanted to show Princess Tarina, from “Journeys” and give some more insight to her homeworld an the ‘Long 3-Way War’, which her planet fights with Ggrrgg (Cobalt’s home planet) and another planet. I have definite plans for this in the future. We see that Tarina is not a bad person, and is essentially stuck being in a bad spot by being Princess to a planet intent on going to war. It also ends with Actor Lad being married to Princess Tarina, which I can revisit someday in the future. For the story purposes, we see that one of Tarina’s oldest friends, Livia, is actually a Daxamite, who kidnaps her for the Black Sun.

The LMB Space Wedding!

Interlude #1
On Earth-4, the SMB Satellite is relatively empty, except for Ratmage and Seahorse, enjoying a nice romantic evening together during monitor duty. Suddenly, they are alerted to something odd—the Beacon from Earth-1 has suddenly gone off! It should usually remain lit at all times, as a symbol of the allegiance between the LMB and the SMB, and a way to transmit messages between groups. Ratmage senses trouble…and SMB leader Seahorse debates on whether a team should be called in to investigate.

Mission 3: The Devourer of Children
The third installment takes us back to Legion World, and begins with Future and Grey Birdboy, coming off a recent journey (as well as showing some scenes among the Triumvirate). The mystery begins to unfold as the monstrous creature from “Price”, known as the “Devourer of Children” has made its way to Legion World.

When I first came up with the Devourer, I wanted to have the idea that when using magic your essentially exposing yourself the most awful, foul and brutally evil of creatures. The Devourer was my attempt at showing this, as Stu had to deal with him—knowing full well that the creature specifically roamed around the world eating children. I knew then he’d have to come to Legion World. Here, he’d be set on Legion World by the Black Sun, who inform them that Elagabolus resides there—and this would be the first mention that the Black Sun have knowledge of the LMB, Legion World, or even Elagabolus.

Future and Grey Birdboy would deal with the creature, quickly bringing in High Priestess Viviane to help, given her and Future’s friendship. When even that is still not enough, they get Stu to join them, hoping Viv and Stu’s combined power can drive the creature out. The onevision would showcase all four members, but would also effectively remove them from Legion World, creating a magical seal, made by the Devourer, keeping them all in the Green (see ‘Journeys’). The Devourer would still not be defeated and the battle would rage on. Only now, Legion World was further at risk.

more to come…

[ December 20, 2005, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Kid Cobalt ]

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Mission 4: Meanwhile with the Diplomats
The next mini-Onevision cuts to Weber’s World, being the first time we see the LMB version of it, for a meeting of galactic diplomats. The team here would be Princess Crujectra, Lucien Lad, Faraway Lad, Umber, Quislet Esq. and Poverty Lad, which would showcase some hilarious scenes among LMBers and the diplomats.

The backdrop would be the reason for this gathering, which connects directly into LMB history. Namely, it’s the two year anniversary of an attack by a Sun-Eater into a galaxy, which destroyed the sun there, and all the planets within. This was during the period of the Corporate takeover of Earth, LMB Lost and the Barbarian Invasions, when the whole galaxy was in disarray and the LMB were not around to help. Because of Earth’s withdraw, this solar system was virtually left undefended and helpless and billions died. The diplomats have gathered because they want to pay respect to that and hope that maybe they can once again push for peace in the galaxy, despite some large barbarian kingdoms still existing (the ongoing enemy of the Triumvirs) and the evil Corporate Earth where the LMB is outlawed.

Princess Crujectra, of course, takes the lead as the LMBer uncovering the enemy, and learns of a group of terrorist attempting to disrupt the proceedings. The LMBers show their stuff, each getting a chance to shine, and then are shocked to see: a massive army invading Weber’s World! The attempt here is to replicate the effect of that first Dark Circle invasions of Earth in the Adventure run (stopped by the Miracle Machine) and show that the Black Sun, which by now is evident to be the LMB’s Dark Circle, is more than just a cult—it’s a massive operation with huge numbers of enlisted soldiers, able to create whole armies. And Weber’s World is under attack.

At this precise moment, Legion World communication goes down, Livia the Daxamite steals Tarina, the magic-based LMBers are sealed out of LW and the Black Sun’s plan goes into effect.

[ December 20, 2005, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Kid Cobalt ]

Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd be honored to be a part of this, but amigo, isn't this much plot-making going to wear you out? {rueful smile}
From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Sounds great Cobes! Hope you get around to writing it one of these days!

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
I read your first stories when you posted them and totally [Love] them! And I'm certain I wasn't the only one either.

I'm looking forward to you posting more, more and more, but appreciate the long slog it can be writing out long plots, creating scenes that highlight character interaction and story pointers and if I can give you any tips to how to achieve your aspirations its this - get to it already Des, your teases are fun but we'd rather read the whole thing [Smile]

Looking forward to your work, whenever you feel comfortable posting it

Bxx

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Thanks guys! [Big Grin]

You know, it's funny how we get that 'guilt' about having a plot for so long and then not writing it. It's weird in the sense that no one really cares and you're only feeling guilty about cheating yourself...

I might write more today on these summaries, although putting this down in a thread might just inspire to get more posted...

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The more I think of it, the more I realize I will probably never write this story. Funny enough, it’s the idea for another story, involving some of these characters and other LMBers, that want me to get these ideas ‘on paper’ and move on.

Interlude #2
The Light Brigade enjoy a fun training session, trying to maneuver in and out of blasts by Boy of 1,000 Feces, the newest member to joint heir squad. Suddenly, Captain Lightbulb breaks into the danger room—and in a panic! “Stand fast Light Brigade!” he yells, “the LMB beacon has just gone off, and that’s never happened before!” As the Light Brigade ponder exactly what they might mean, a newsflash goes off…Weber’s World is being invaded by a massive army of unknown foes.

Mission 5: Matlock’s Midnight Mystery!
Things seem quiet on Legion World for Matlock, Senior Security Officer—too quiet. A serious of odd, albeit minor events, lead him to connecting together a much larger mystery and puzzle, and through his great skills as a detective, he discovers that things are seriously wrong!

A group of sentients have slowly and quietly infiltrated Legion World, and have timed things so that a large portion of the LMB are no longer on planet, off fighting in the Praying Mantis World Civil War. With almost no one on duty, the villain known as Deathstroke Kid has broken into LMB headquarters and stolen the bones of the Forsaken Bard, in the process rendering two LMBers incapacitated, while keeping two more occupied: Nightcrawler and Abin Quank. Further, Grey Birdboy, Future, High Priestess Viviane and Stu, all the remaining active LMBers on Legion World and the magic-users, have been transported off Legion World.

Matlock, through computer files and old holo-clips, is able to piece together the gradual growth of the Black Sun, a cult of some sort on the outskirts of UP Space, next to the galaxy that was destroyed two years earlier by a Sun-Eater.

A great purple flare has been shot into the sky, and suddenly, a gigantic shield, not allowing anyone in or out of Legion World has surrounded the planet. Matlock is able to peace together a few clues to learn it’s a subversive group called the ‘Black Sun’, and one of their leaders is apparently on the Space-Train with the Bones of the Forsaken Bard. He sends a distress signal warning the far away LMBers of this, and goes out into the city to discover if there is anyone left to help him.

It comes down to the other inhabitants of Legion World that aren’t LMBers that might be his only allies: Thora of Taltar! Dr. Mayavale! Lucifer Lass! Cobalt’s Supergirl Robot! Jailbait Lass! Joined also by Dr. One, the last active LMBer on Legion World, they search further for clues and learn the shocking truth: the three most reviled of all banned enemies stand before them, joined with the Black Sun: Meteor Monarch! Conundrum Queen! The Reaper!

Mission 6: Identity Crisis
Six LMBers break off from the LMB at large, who are returning from a super-mission in Praying Mantis World, in order to pursue a long-time enemy of the LMB (even though its her first appearance), Nurse Light. This character is based on Dr. Landro’s Hot Nurse (thread in Legion forum a year ago!)

Lightning Lad, Lash Lad, Space Tart, Fat Cramer, Yellow Kid and the Red Bee are informed that Marvin of the Brood, a Honorary LMBer, has been reported kidnapped, and they are aware of the night Nurse Light kidnapped Cobalt and Invisible Brainiac years past. It appears Marvin may have been murdered.

They follow, and soon a huge battle breaks out between the six LMBers and Nurse Light. She mentions rumors of a betrayal within the LMB, but all six scoff, especially the Red Bee. However, the battle is suddenly interrupted by the Black Sun—who appear on the scene. The Black Sun engage the LMB, and then surprise them, capturing Nurse Light themselves, to use as their own hostage. They make mention of a much larger invasion in a three-pronged attack, and of revenge for the Sun-Eater’s destruction, and finally, of something or someone called ‘Sol Invictus’.

The LMB chase them down, and are led to the body of Marvin of the Brood. As they check on their ally, he turns to them and blasts them all—betraying them! He announces that he too has converted to the Black Sun, and all six LMBers are taken prisoner. While Yellow Kid calls Marvin traitor and Spacey laments, Fat Cramer wonders if they will be taken to the headquarters of these mysterious enemies…

[ December 20, 2005, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Kid Cobalt ]

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow! Stories that might have been! Sometimes it seems like those are the only kinds of stories I have these days! [Wink]

Keep it coming, Des!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Interlude #3
LardLad, away from Legion World still, dealing with the events in “Turning Point”, quietly searches for word on the boy Elagabolus, following the events of “Price of Security” and an agreement he and Cobalt had made to search for the boy. Word is scarce of a young magic-user with the power to destroy everything. He does learn, however, that another group of people have been asking the same questions he has. There name was the Black Sun.

Mission 7: Five Tickets for the Space Train
Continuing from the 1st Space Mission, a mystery assailant leaves Legion World aboard the space-train, complete with the bones of the Forsaken Bard. Matlock’s signal (from Mission 5) has gone out, and a group of LMBers set out to investigate, unsure of what they’ll find: Eryk Davis Ester, Kent Shakespeare, Harbinger, Varalent and Mearl Dox.

On Legion World, as Nightcrawler and Abin Quank attempt to discover the truth to what is happening there, Danger Damsel leaves the sick-bay against their orders, and makes it aboard the last space-train that can leave—before the magical barrier put up in Mission 3 goes into effect! Quickly, she takes a super-Express to Grand Central Space Station, thereby allowing her to cut off the train the mystery man took, so she can hop aboard it, using her super-agility.

The group of 5 LMBers find they are being followed by a two men in purple suits reminiscent of the 1950’s (a la ‘North by Northwest), causing Harbinger to beat them senseless, and Mearl to utter the classic phrase “What is this, Grand Central Space Station?”. Up ahead, Kent and Vee discover the mystery assailant: what appears to be the leader of the Black Sun!

His name is Caracalla, although his is a leader in the sense that he is the top man in charge of the group, but not their figure head! Super-smart, devious and cunning, Caracalla calmly tells them they can sit and join him for lunch. He then explains the origin of the Black Sun:

Two years earlier, the World at large became embroiled in a tide of disarray and turbulence. Internally, the UP faced division, as Earth ceded from the UP, now controlled by the Corporation there. Externally, Barbarian hordes invaded space all over, conquering planets, killing millions, and almost destroying the advanced civilation they had known for so long.

Eryk counters saying they know all this—indeed, much of the LMB’s story the last two years has been a reaction to this. Nightcrawler and Lightning Lad formed Legion World, and the LMB came to live there, forming a much larger conglomeration of heroes, since the Corporations of Earth were no friends to the LMB. Further, the very existence of the LMB Triumvirate is to battle the barbarian hordes, which, for the most part, have been relatively successful in pushing them back to their original boundaries, and liberating the conquered planets.

True, says Caracalla. But, during the time of great turmoil, the time when the universe was at its lowest, the LMB was no where in sight. They had done nothing. Vee explains to him that the LMB was lost! Stuck in the Anti-matter universe, they had no way of helping. Indeed, many of them like himself, were separated for some time from their allies.
Caracalla laughs in disbelief. He points to the events two years ago this day, when a Sun-Eater entered the Tharcarthian Galaxy, in within mere hours, snuffed out the sun. Trillions, upon trillions, of sentients died. The death and destruction was on so massive a scale, that it was impossible to comprehend. Earth did nothing to help, not even offering aid, content to let their corporate growth make them independent. The UP had become useless, and was too busy saving what they could, building Weber’s World to house their diplomats, and attempt to stop the Barbarian Hordes. And the LMB was gone.

One man did not die. An astronaut, spending his time studying the Tharcarthian sun was right at the epicenter of the chaos, and watched with his own eyes as the Sun-Eater devoured his galaxy. He closed his eyes and wished his death would come quickly. And it never came. The man’s name is a memory, lost to time. But when he awoke, he felt something truly amazing—undoubtedly a miracle from the old gods, sending him immense power to make the universe pay for its lack of help. He had been imbued with the entire power of a sun itself…of a million suns. He could destroy all who stood by and watched. He was Sol Invictus. The Unconquered Sun.

The Black Sun rose up around him as followers, slowly growing aware of his existence in the far off Barbarian galaxies. Caracalla was the first, and joined Sol Invictus immediately. Now, he smiled, they would meet him.

The train slowly came to a halt, as an intense light flashed through. The doors open. Before them stands a man, bathed in light blue, intense fire. He blasts!

Only Vee is able to dodge it, shrinking and holding onto Mearl, while the others are nailed back, and subdued.

“It is time”, says Sol Invictus, and Caracalla joins him, the agents of the Black Sun gathering EDE, Kent and Harbinger. Everyone else on the train is burnt to ash.

As they leave, Vee and Mearl remerge to see Danger Damsel joining them. She saw we’re they’re heading, and can track them. Suicide mission or not, the three follow.

Interlude #4
Leap Year Lass concentrates hard, and uses her gift to read anagrams, to sense what lies in store for the LMB at the beginning of their sixth year. Anagrams reveal…and she is unsure if it bodes ill for them…

‘E SOL INVICTUS’ appeared before her.

“Lost”
“Sins”
“Vice”

This boded ill.

Mission 8: AMBUSH!
Kid Prime and the large majority of the LMB head back to Legion World, as Kid Prime (LMB Leader) and Ultra Matt (LMB Deputy Leader) discuss all of the current LMBers who have broken off form the main team for one reason or another. They arrive at Legion World, with only Kid Prime, Semi and Mystery Lad staying behind.

The team descends on Legion World en masse, ready to go back to their common lives: Numf-El, Invisible Brainiac, Icefyre, Mattropolis, Sonnie Bloke, Saturn Girl, Gigglebot Girl, Emerald Empress, Pagan Lass, Stoopid Cat, Hrun the Barbarian, Lard Lass, and the rest.

Immediately, the ambush is sprung, and the Black Sun attacks! Soldiers everywhere, joined by Meteor Monarch, Connundrum Queen and the Reeper, assault the LMB, catching them unawares.

In the green surrounding Legion World, the Devourer of Children continues to hold off the magic users and the LMB.

Kid Prime, in orbit, receives word that Weber’s World is under complete attack, now joined by Livia the Daxamite and Marvin of the Brood, former Honorary LMBer.

The news hits: Earth is being invaded by an unknown source! It blames the UP and prepares for galactic war.

Missing in action are the various away teams—of which no word has been received. Down on Legion World, no LMBers are able to communicate off-planet.

One by one, the LMBers, caught unaware in their home, are taken down. Invisible Brainiac, who does not go without a fight, is captured, but specifically sent to join Sol Invictus and Caracalla as an important part of their plan.

All appears lost.

8 Missions. 8 failures. 1 outcome.

[ December 20, 2005, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Kid Cobalt ]

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Part II: The Unconquered Sun

The world is quite suddenly plunged into chaos.

Huge armies, who most previously did not know existed, move across space under the banner of the Black Sun. Far more than a cult, the Black Sun is a massive military force. They have unleashed a three-pronged attack, centering on Earth, former home of the UP, Weber’s World, the new diplomatic center of the universe, and Legion World, home of the LMB.

Leading the Black Sun is Caracalla, a devious mastermind, and Sol Invictus, who may possibly be more powerful than the LMB combined. Their allies are as impressive as they are evil: the (3) most reviled members of Legion World ever to be banned, Meteor Monarch, Conundrum Queen and the Reeper, Livia the Daxamite, Marvin of the Brood (who has betrayed the LMB) and the resurrected Forsaken Bard, an undead monster that can slaughter scores of sentients at will. Worst of all is the beast known as the Devourer of Children, who has created a magical barrier keeping anyone out of Legion World that the Black Sun does not want in.

Kid Prime, the LMB Leader, immediately begins the planning stages while orbiting Legion World, and gets into contact with the rest of the LMB that still have open channels of communication. It comes down to Faraway Lad, who is on Weber’s World, to once more attempt to use his powers accurately, which is immensely hard to do, to bring himself to the ship near Kerissia. He does so, where he can collect Outdoor Miner and Reboot, and move on. With Outdoor Miner, the two are able to combine their teleporting powers in a very experimental way (which may still go wrong), and journey to the ruins of the space-trains, where they collect Mearl Dox. The four then join Kid Prime, who is with Semi Transparent Fellow and Mystery Lad. With the two geniuses (Dr. One being unavailable at this time) and the great tactician Mystery Lad (formerly Tsarin Lad), they develop a plan to fight back against the Black Sun.

Weber’s World
Weber’s World is left to its own, as the Black Sun forces continue to invade en masse. Princess Crujectra takes command, as the UP fleets battle back. The Army of Eryk Davis Ester, which was in a nearby galaxy offers its aid, as fellow LMBers that are present (Umber, Lucien Lad, Poverty Lad and Quislet) battle them back. Umber sees Marvin of the Brood up ahead, and battles him on one.

It’s the arrival of the LMB’s allies that does the trick! The Light Brigade and a small squad of the SMB of Earth-4 arrive just in time to turn the tide, and others join them as well, including Something Amazing and Time Boy (young HG Wells), who comes from the 19th Century to led a time-traveling hand. As more heroes hear the call and join them, Weber’s World becomes the first planet to be victorious.

Marvin of the Brood is captured, and the LMB sees the full extent of the Black Sun’s brainwashing, taking pity on their friend when they realize he is not quite in his own mind.

Earth War
Not only is Earth on the verge of being overrun by the Black Sun, Earth itself is promising to execute any LMBer or non-Terran who steps foot upon its soil. It’s left up to the old guard of the LMB, the ones who had made Earth their home for many years when it housed LMB headquarters, to led a helping hand there. Loser Lad, Sketch Lad Dev-Em, Furball, Rhino, Shark Lad and a little surprise help from Shady and Seahorse enter Earth, and use the innate knowledge that spies Lost in Lust Lad (Terrence) and Dial H for Homo (Mart) have of the native planet, to battle back both Earth’s forces and the Black Sun.

Livia the Daxamite leads the charge for the Black Sun on this front, and at first it seems the LMB have virtually no chance—until Loser Lad is able to convince the woman that she is in fact a traitor and a useless human being. However, he is shocked by her reaction, as she decides to use herself as a suicide kamikaze that dives headfirst into the Black Sun fleet orbiting Earth, which obliterates a large portion of their army. Shady then steps forward with her power and convinces the Black Sun members that there is more to life than war and death, causing many to relinquish their ties to the cult itself.

Earth, however, takes this moment to lay the blame completely on the UP and the LMB.

Legion World War
The Black Sun armies, much of which has infiltrated Legion World, begin attempting to harass the everyday townspeople, city dwellers and communities that exist beyond the cities, which are commonly referred to as the lurking class. However, a small group of sentients, led by Matlock begins a resistance, as Lucifer Lass, Thora, Dr. Mayavale, Cobalt’s Supergirl Robot, LMBer Dr. One, Tiffany Spiffany, and others battle back. This becomes a central problem that gains the attention of the Black Sun, causing Abin Quank and Nightcrawler to work together to free the LMB’s that are imprisoned, which is over half the team’s strength, for the real battle to begin. Soon, the Reeper, Connundrum Queen, and Meteor Monarch are beaten and captured, to be hauled to prison.

Meanwhile, on the green outskirts of Legion World, Future, Grey Birdboy, High Priestess Viviane and Iron Rat battle the Devourer of Children, beating him back and ultimately banishing him to another plane of existence far away. It takes an immense amount of activity however, and causes a ripple effect that every magic-user in the universe feels. The main goal, however, the destruction of the magical barrier of Legion World, is completed.

The rest of the LMB venture into Legion World, and the home of the LMB is quickly secured.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Sol Invictus
Nine LMBers awake, captured by Sol Invictus, chained before him: Lash Lad, Lightning Lad, Fat Cramer, the Red Bee, Yellow Kid, Space Tart, Eryk Davis Ester, Kent Shakespeare and Harbinger. They can feel the raw power emanating off of him, and he once more explains his horrible story and the plans he has for the world.

He has three additional prisoners: Princess Tarina, the princes of Kerissia, Nurse Light, the enemy of the LMB, and Invisible Brainiac, the youngest and possibly brightest LMBer of them all! All three have immense light powers, and he plans on using them by firing them into the sun of the galaxy that houses the core planets of the UP, thereby rendering the same exact effect a Sun-Eater would have, as the sun explodes and all life ends within.

Meanwhile, Varalent and Danger Damsel continue to track Sol Invictus, until they are suddenly picked up another crew of LMBers: Space Ranger, Actor Lad, Kid Vudoo and Cobalt Kid. The six then journey to the headquarters, which exists on the border of a Barbarian Galaxy and UP Space. Quietly, they enter.

Sol Invictus surprises the LMB, by suddenly freeing the nine heroes—he hates them that much, that he will give them a fighting chance in beating him. They oblige him, suddenly fanning out and using their power to drive him back, attempting to use the most strange of their powers (luck lord and pulling objects out of asses) to subdue him. It has no effect, and he uses his incalculable power to blast them back, on the verge of death, although not killing them yet. Little does he realize, however, that Fat Cramer and Lash Lad had snuck past him, and begun to free the three prisoners. Turning, he prepares to kill them all—but not before the rescue team of six LMBers shows up!

Once more, a battle erupts, and once more, however, Sol INvictus is victorious, simply being too powerful to be defeated. Actor Lad, at last, admits that he knows the true story of how a Sun-Eater destroyed his galaxy. Sol Invictus is flabbergasted, and is shocked to hear this, demanding to know what it is. Actor Lad laughs, announcing this was a ploy, done by his super-acting abilities, as Sol Invictus was so unaware of his surroundings, that Danger Damsel ran her sword completely through him, hoping to kill him!

Instead, her piercing his hide seems to have the effect of a nucluer meltdown, as raw energy begins to rush out…and the LMBers realize their cooked! It’s only through the ingenious use of Varalent’s mass shrinking powers, Cobalt’s magnetism and Space Tart pulling out a small energy reactor from Yellow Kid’s ass, that they are able to contain the massive explosion.

With that…the LMB realize they have won!

Epilogues
Despite relative victory, some things have changed, whether for worse or better:

- Weber’s World is saved and becomes the new center for diplomacy in UP space. However, Legion World emerges as a second center, as most UP planets (and some that aren’t in the UP) decide to have a delegate become an active living resident in Legionnopolis in the diplomatic sector that has evolved out of the area surrounding the original Psyonian Embassy.

- The Magic-User ripple effect is felt throughout the universe, and a young boy named Elagabolus is effected, as he grows sick and comes close to dying. He has been on the run for over a year now, and feels lost, lonely, and ready to die. A small group of cultists find him. The call themselves the Black Sun. Taking him to their home, the boy comes under the Tutelage of a man called Caracalla.

- Danger Damsel opts to not join the LMB, given that she has no real super-powers to speak of. She is surprised, however, when Cobalt Kid approaches her with an offer—to act as a espionage agent answerable directly to him, outside in universe at large. It is now undeniable that there are some very real threats in the universe that need to have an eye kept on them: The Black Sun, the Barbarian Galaxies, Earth and plenty of others. She would be invaluable in this regard, and she has the skills to do so. She thinks about it for a time and then agrees. Their agreement remains a secret to the rest of the LMB.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

And so that brings me to the close of the tale, which I may or may not one day tell.

As it stands, I think I might have an idea for a Onevision that may play on some of the consequences of these events, which will also allow me to include posters and history of the current time, and that I might write sometime soon.

Still, at least I got to write the summaries! [Big Grin]

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
The summaries are pretty interesting. Kind of like the Reader's Digest Condensed Book version. Of course, if you stay gender-reversed, you might get them written, but differently...

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.