Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Shadow Held: An LMBP OneVision (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Shadow Held: An LMBP OneVision
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Author's Note: This is a sequel to Shadowspell, and takes place sometime after the LMBP/New Crusaders OneVision.

And to give credit where credit is due, the idea of the shadow held came from Smoke and Shadows, a book by Tanya Huff. It seemed like a cool concept, and flowed nicely from the shadow beings from Shadowspell, so I borrowed it [Smile]

Enjoy!

PS - As always, I will be providing a PDF version of the full story after I have posted all the parts. You can either read the story as I post it, or wait until the end and get the whole thing at once [Smile]

[ July 28, 2006, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Spellbinder ]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Shadow Held

An LMBP OneVision

By Spellbinder

Part One: Now…

With a banshee wail from its twin jet engines, the sleek personal cruiser swooped down from the skies above Legionnopolis, pulling up at the last instant to level out and rocket down the busy city streets. There wasn’t another craft like it on the planet, and there was certainly not another trio of passengers like those carried within the cockpit of this particular cruiser.

To the casual observer, one might suspect that these were simply joy riders recklessly entertaining themselves in a speeder that they probably couldn’t afford.

Then, however, one would see that they were being pursued.

Arching down from the sky, three dark figures matched the path taken by the cruiser. They were nearly impossible to see clearly, due to the high speeds at which they were flying. However, the citizens of Legionnopolis were far too familiar with their local celebrities to not know immediately who they were: the BoyWithUltraPowers, Vee and Abin Quank, three of the most recognizable members of the LMBP.

Inside the cruiser, the young pilot’s fingers danced across the control panels, sending the sleek vessel zigzagging back and forth across the highway, narrowly avoiding the seeking energy of Abin Quank’s power ring. His brows knit in concentration, he called back to his companions in the passenger seats behind him.

“We’re not going to be able to outrun them on the planet surface, and I doubt that I’m going to be able to avoid them indefinitely.”

The pretty blonde sighed in resignation. “Keep up the evasive maneuvers,” she said, unbuckling her seatbelt. “I’ll try to sidetrack them.” Reaching out a delicate finger, she pressed a button to her right and seconds later the transparent dome of the cockpit retracted back into the hull of the cruiser. She stood up, bracing herself against the seat to prevent the winds from knocking her down, her long blond tresses whipping about her.

Raising her hands before her, Princess Crujectra prepared to lash out…

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Part Two: One Week Ago…

Epstalla VII: Of the twelve planets in the Epstalla System, only the seventh is capable of sustaining life, although not human life. Little is known about the methane-breathing inhabitants of Epstalla VII, save that they are a form of crustaceous being capable of emitting explosive energy blasts from their scorpion-like tails. As yet, the United Planets haven’t sent a research team to Epstalla VII.
Encyclopedia Galactica – 3006 Edition

Twenty-two thousand, three hundred miles above the surface of Epstalla VII, in what was known as a geosynchronous orbit, a silent sentinel stood watch over the uninviting planet below. Cylindrical in shape, the hull of the satellite was dotted with viewports and running lights. A domed observation deck capped the top of the satellite, and three warp nacelles were attached along the lower end of the hull. There was nothing to identify the satellite, except of course for the large circle on one side of the hull, which enclosed a stylized “L” and starburst.

Although the creatures on the planet surface would not recognize the vessel, to any inhabitants of the United Planets the ship would be immediately known to be one of the LMBP Outposts, a fleet of warp speed capable space stations that were scattered across the known universe. They typically served as away stations for the heroes, and often were used as diplomatic embassies. This one, however, was currently serving a dual purpose: research station and vacation spot.

“Loser dear,” Princess Crujectra said sweetly, turning from the monitor station at which she was seated, an endearing smile on her face. “Would you mind cataloguing those atmospheric readings we took earlier?”

Loser Lad considered not turning around and looking at her. He knew that she was smiling that smile at him, and if he just didn’t look he could resist. Even when he started to turn to look, he knew that it was a battle he would have lost anyway. Crujectra’s smile had been known to disarm volatile diplomatic discussions, but she had never really needed to use it on him, and they both knew it.

“Yes, dear,” Loser replied, rising up from the chair he had been sitting in, staring out the research laboratory’s viewport. He walked across the room to stand beside the Princess, and as he reached down to take the OmniCom from her he bumped the side of her chair with his hip. Smiling down at her, he said, “You know, Princess, some people have been known to take vacations that didn’t require any form of work. I hear they do it to relax.”

Crujectra laughed, and playfully swatted Loser’s behind as he moved away. “Now Loser dear, you knew before you came that this was going to be a working vacation. Mykel and Maxx had already volunteered to bring the Outpost here to begin researching Epstalla VII for the United Planets. The rest of us volunteered to come along to help, and to spend a little time together away from the LMBP.”

Loser Lad sat down at a nearby computer console and plugged a connecting cable into the bottom of the OmniCom. He sighed dramatically and looked back at the Princess, batting his eyelashes. “Oh, I know, Crujeckie. I was just sitting there, imagining a vacation on some tropical planet, with you on the beach wearing something… scandalous.”

“Ooooh,” a voice said from the open doorway. “Is it too late to change our plans?”

Crujectra rolled her head around to look at Cobalt Kid as he came into the room. “Cobie, I think the only person with better timing than you is Poverty Lad.” The trio of friends laughed as Cobalt Kid came over to sit on the side of Crujectra’s monitor station. Work or no work, the three heroes were definitely feeling relaxed. Each was dressed casually, and each had been enjoying full nights sleep the past few days. Coming here was definitely agreeing with them, and each knew that it really didn’t matter where they were in the universe; so long as the five of them were together they were bound to have a good time.

“Where are the honeymooners?” Loser asked, pressing a series of buttons on the OmniCom to begin the data transfer into the ship’s data banks. Although it had been six months since the wedding, Crusader and Maxx were still blissfully happy, and Loser and Cobie could never seem to resist making some sort of lighthearted comment about it. There weren’t many more confirmed bachelors than Cobalt Kid and Loser Lad in the LMBP, although looking at Crujectra and Cobie together sometimes, Loser suspected that change might be coming for the “legendary” Head of Legion World Security.

“They were heading down to the cargo bay to prepare the probes that we’re sending down to the planet surface later,” Cobalt Kid replied, absently rubbing Crujectra’s shoulder as he watched her fingers dance across the keyboard in front of her. “They should be coming up soon.”

Crujectra hummed softly as she worked, feeling more relaxed than she had in ages. Since repairing her family ties during Mykel and Maxx’s engagement, the princess had taken up many of her old duties as Psyonian Ambassador to Legion World. Those duties alone could be time consuming, but when added to her LMBP duties, handling her own private business affairs and now with her relationship with Cobalt Kid going strong, it left her with little downtime. Even though this was technically a working vacation, she still found herself getting more rest than she had in ages.

“So what’s the deal with these scorpion thingies?” Cobalt Kid asked, looking at a display screen. On it was a photo of a creature that certainly resembled an Earth scorpion, yet was somehow different… more alien.

“Well, for one thing, they are much larger than a scorpion. Our initial research shows that they grow from anywhere between six and sixty feet in length. An Earth scorpion has a stinger in its tail, and these creatures are able to generate bio-plasma energy, which they can release from a pore in the tip of their tails. Their pincers seem to be very strong, enabling them to grip and lift large boulders with apparently little trouble. Their bodies are covered in armored plates, which seem capable of withstanding bio-plasmic attacks from their species, which works out well since they appear to be highly aggressive.”

“So, I’m guessing opening a petting zoo down there isn’t a great idea?” Cobalt Kid replied, grinning.

Crujectra rested a hand on his leg. “I wouldn't get anything that you’re fond of too close to those creatures, dear.”

“God, you two,” came a voice from the doorway, “Get a room!”

Crusader and Maxx walked into the room, hand in hand. “And here I thought we were the newlyweds,” Maxx said jokingly. The pair enjoyed the momentary look of panic that crossed Cobalt Kid’s face as the conversation touched on “marriage.” It was never one of his favorite subjects, although there wasn’t an LMBPer active that didn’t suspect that the confirmed bachelor was wandering dangerously closer to matrimony.

Crujectra stroked his leg gently, calming him down as she turned her attention to her brother and his new husband. “Are the probes ready for launch, Mykel?”

Crusader gave her a thumbs up. “We gave them a pre-launch check, and everything seems to be fine. The cloaking device should hold up to atmospheric conditions, at least for the limited amount of time that the probes will be down there.” He glanced at the creature on the display screen. “I don’t know what their range is, but there’s no need in drawing those buggers’ attention if we can avoid it.”

“Definitely,” Loser Lad began, but his voice was lost in the sound of an explosion. The entire room was rocked by the concussive force of the explosion as the Outpost listed slowly to one side. “What in the heck was that?” he yelled, just before another explosion occurred.

“Crusader, get the shields up!” Cobalt Kid ordered, his leadership instincts immediately coming forth as the heroes moved into combat mode. “Spellbinder, we need a damage report ASAP! Loser Lad, check the scanners! We need to find out where those blasts are coming from!”

The heroes sprung into action, even as multiple explosions rocked the space station. With each blast, the impacts seemed to be getting progressively worse. “The shields are down, Cobie!” Crusader said, seated behind an emergency console. “The repair droids are on it, but apparently the shield generators were the first targets.”

“Damage reports coming in now, Cobalt Kid,” Spellbinder said. “Hull breaches on levels two through eight… emergency force fields are holding in those areas. Hull integrity is dangerously low on level ten… repair droids are en route. Power levels are fluctuating due to damage in the generator room. Emergency power systems standing by.”

Cobalt Kid moved to stand behind Loser Lad. “Any sign of enemy ships, Lou?” he asked.

“The attacks aren’t coming from space, Cobie,” he replied incredulously. “They appear to be coming from the planet surface!”

“That’s not possible,” Cobalt Kid said. “The only thing down there are those scorpion things, right?”

Loser Lad pushed a series of buttons, and suddenly a holographic display appeared in the center of the room. The five heroes turned their attention to it. On it they could see creatures from the planet surface, yet vastly larger than those they had seen so far. They had to be at least ten times larger than any they had so far seen, and each one was looking skyward, releasing huge balls of bio-plasmic energy into the air.

Suddenly the satellite was rocked by the biggest explosion yet, and the sound of the ship’s computer filled the room. “Warning! Hull integrity has reached minimum safe levels. Hull breaches on levels two through fifteen. Containment fields at ten percent. All personnel proceed to escape pods.”

“Come on, team,” Cobalt Kid said as the heroes stood up and turned toward the door. “It’s time to go. Computer, launch emergency beacon.”

Suddenly there was an explosion in the corridor outside the room as the outer hull ripped open. Maxx reached into the air, conjuring a ball of mystic energy. He threw the sphere toward the door, and the energy flowed outward to fill the doorway. “Activate your transsuits, guys! The only way out of here now is down!”

Throwing more and more of his personal energy stores into his magic, Maxx constructed a Gate: a magical doorway of sorts that would connect two points together and enable transport between them. There were limitations to Gating, of course. Distance created an increased drain, and the energy required to build a Gate had to come from the mage himself. And the mage needed to be familiar with the area around both ends of the Gate in order to be able to properly anchor it, otherwise there was no guarantee of completing the journey safely.

Unfortunately, in this section of space there was only one place near enough and familiar enough for Maxx to build an emergency Gate to:

Epstalla VII.

“Everyone… GO!”

Transsuits activated, the heroes rushed forward, and one by one they passed through the Gate. Maxx went through last, pulling the magical anchors through with him and pulling the magic of the Gate back into him as he passed.

The Gate disappeared just as the environmental stabilizers went offline and there was a station-wide power failure. Without the booster rockets, the LMBP Outpost’s orbit began to decay, and the vessel was slowly pulled into the planet’s atmosphere, where it began to buckle and burn.

--------------------

Spellbinder
Founder

Part Three:

On the surface of Epstalla VII, there was a very distinctive rock formation near the top of canyon. It featured a large boulder in the center, with a small boulder directly behind it and a mid-sized boulder directly before it. Two rocky spikes jutted upward from the mid-sized rock, forming a sort of V shape.

Maxx thought it looked just like a bunny statue.

Energy crackled between the ears as the Gate opened between them. Cobalt Kid soared out through it first followed closely by Spellbinder and Loser Lad. Bringing up the rear was Maxx, who was being supported by Crusader. The couple dropped down to the ground as soon as they were through. The other three quickly landed next to them.

“Maxx, are you all right?” Loser Lad asked, concern on his face.

It was Crusader who replied, as Maxx turned his attention to the Gate. “When a sorcerer creates a Gate, every ounce of the energy used needs to come directly from the mage. It’s what makes Gating so dangerous. You leave the Gate greatly weakened, and even though you pull the energy of the Gate back into you, it still takes some time to recover.”

Maxx raised both hands toward the Gate, and slowly the energy flowed from the closing Gate toward him. Even as the power was absorbed, the others could see him growing stronger, the tension in him slowly draining away. Finally, when all the Gate energy was back inside him, he slumped back against his husband’s chest and sighed heavily.

“I hate Gating,” he said, closing his eyes for a moment as a wave of dizziness passed over him. “Many a mage has lost his life because of Gating. Gate too far and it leaves you so weak you either can’t control it or can’t take it down. Either that or they’ve been so weakened afterward that they were unable to protect themselves from attack.”

Cobalt Kid straightened and looked around. “Well, it’s a good thing you didn’t, otherwise we wouldn’t have gotten off the Outpost alive.” His eyebrows drew downward as he took in the barren landscape. “Of course, without food, water and breathable air, I wonder if this would be the frying pan’ or the ‘fire.’”

Princess Crujectra stood beside him, hands on her hips. “Rubbish. Life is always worth fighting for. We’ll find a way out of this.” She turned her head toward her boyfriend and smiled. “Besides, flying by the seat of our pants is what we do best.”

Cobalt Kid put an arm around the princess’ slim waist and grinned back over his shoulder at their friends. “Is it any wonder that I love this woman?”

Loser Lad rolled his eyes and removed an OmniCom from his belt pouch. The tiny computer hummed as he moved around the clearing, pointing the device in a variety of directions. He frowned. “Ummm, guys, we might want to consider finding some cover. There’s a bunch of critters moving in our direction, and unless you feel like dodging plasma blasts…”

“Right,” Cobalt Kid said, sliding effortlessly back into leadership mode. He turned toward the newlyweds. “Maxx, are you up to moving?”

“Don’t worry about me, Cobie,” Maxx said, rising to his feet with Crusader’s help. “I’m not ready to run a marathon yet, but I think I can manage a little fleeing.”

“I’ll help you, hon,” Crusader said reassuringly, his grip on his partner tightening supportively.

“Good. Let’s scan the area for someplace we can defend. I would suggest we all rely on our flight rings for movement, rather than our powers. I get the feeling that we should conserve our strength.”

With that, the heroes rose into the air and began moving slowly across the ground, Loser Lad having taken the lead with his OmniCom. The other four heroes scanned the area with their eyes, keeping alert for trouble while Loser looked for refuge.

“Incoming!” Spellbinder shouted suddenly, and she flung out one arm, a look of concentration on her face. A large boulder broke away from its resting-place and rose upward, directly into the path of a plasma energy sphere, which was hurtling toward the group. The stone shield took the brunt of the blast, but was reduced to rubble.

“Loser, any luck?” Cobalt Kid asked hopefully.

Loser Lad looked up from the OmniCom and pointed. “This way!”

The five heroes shot forward, moving across the rocky cliffs quickly. Following Loser Lad’s lead, they shot downward, keeping close to the cliff wall, which overlooked a huge valley. Halfway down, more than five hundred feet from the valley floor, was the mouth of a cave. Within seconds they found themselves within a long tunnel, which burrowed deep into the mountain.

“Hang on a sec,” Maxx said, coming to a halt. He turned back toward the cave mouth and raised his right hand. His finger traced fiery symbols into the air, none of which were familiar to his friends. Once the glyphs were completed, he gave them a mystical “push”, and they flew down the tunnel to attach themselves to the walls around the cave mouth. As soon as the last glyph was attached, a transparent wall of energy fell across the tunnel, and then faded from sight.

“There. If anything tries coming through the opening, I’ll know.”

The heroes turned back around and continued into the mountain. Within minutes they had reached a large cave. There were more tunnels branching off from it, and more than enough room for the heroes to move apart and have some personal space.

Princess Crujectra looked at the other tunnel openings skeptically. “Loser dear, are you certain that there isn’t anything lurking down those tunnels? I’d prefer not to have one of those creatures showing up suddenly.”

“Well, according to the OmniCom we’re clear, but I guess better safe than sorry.” Loser Lad turned toward the tunnel openings, and his eyes narrowed. Reaching forth, he summoned the Loser Force. He metaphorically “grabbed” hold of the Possibilities, and pulled. Reality began to warp, and suddenly the tunnels began to collapse, sealing themselves off in mini-avalanches that astonishingly had no effect on the cave in which they stood. When he was done, the only tunnel still open was the one to the outside.

“That should be safe enough,” he said, dusting off his hands and turning back toward the group. “It’s sealed enough that anything on the other side will think it’s impassable, but we should still be able to break though it if we need to get out.”

Cobalt Kid sat down on a small boulder and sighed. “So, does anyone have any suggestions?”

Maxx looked up and reached a hand out toward Loser Lad. “Can I borrow that OmniCom, Lou?” he asked. “I want to pull up the star charts in this region. With any luck, there’s someplace familiar around here that I can open a Gate to and get us out of here.”

“And close enough that it doesn’t kill you, Maxx,” Crusader replied, a concerned look on his face.

Maxx reached over and gripped his husband’s hand comfortingly. “Of course, dear.”

--------------------

Spellbinder
Founder

Part Four:

“Absolutely not!”

Maxx sighed, and looked deep into his husband’s eyes. “Mykel, we don’t really have much choice,” he said as calmly and reasonably as possible. Maxx had found a familiar system, with a planet that he had been to at least once. It certainly wasn’t next door, but it was within his Gating limits. Probably. Hopefully. At the very least, he was confident that he could build the Gate and get everyone through. His survival was a bit iffy, but really there was no choice. They didn’t know for certain if the homing beacon was launched before the Outpost was destroyed, and even if it was there was no guarantee that help would get here in time. Without food or water, they would only grow weaker and weaker, and if he didn’t build the Gate soon he wouldn’t be able to do it at all.

Crujectra sat nearby, a thoughtful look on her face. “Maybe we do have a choice.”

The heroes turned toward the Princess. “What do you mean, Crujeckie?” Loser Lad asked.

“Well, as you all know, Psyonians have ways of linking with each other. We are able to form rapports, which are psychic connections between two people. Mykel, Cobie, Loser and myself formed one inadvertently in our battle against the Shadow Queen.

“However, when Psyonians marry, they form a much deeper rapport.”

“The soul-link,” Crusader said, trying to work out where his sister was going with this train of thought.

“Right. The soul-link. Many Psyonians think that the soul-link is just a much stronger version of the rapport, which it is, but it’s also much more. When the psychic is strong enough, the soul-link becomes a physical joining, as well as a mental one.” Her eyes focused on Maxx and Crusader. “If I’m right, I think that Maxx is capable of drawing energy from Mykel. If he can, then it should lend him enough strength to safely build and take down the Gate.”

Crusader shook his head. “Crujectra, that’s a great theory, but not one that has ever been successfully proven. I’ve read the studies as well, and while there has been some marginal proof that the soul-link can work that way, the amounts of shared energy that has passed from person to person has been minimal at best. Certainly not enough to give Maxx any reasonable power boost.”

A look of determination crossed Crujectra’s face. “Mykel, you’re forgetting a very important fact. There has never been a joining such as yours in all of Psyonian history. You are one of the most powerful psychics in our history, and Maxx is an equally gifted mage. There is every reason to think that the two of you will have much better success than the handful of research subjects that have been studied so far.”

Maxx reached out a hand and turned Crusader’s face back toward him. “Mykel, I know that you’re concerned, but deep down you know that there is no other option. We have to get off this planet, and soon. The transsuits will only sustain us for so long. I don’t know about you, but I would personally rather take the chance than slowly die of starvation and thirst.”

Shoulders slumped in resignation, Crusader reached out and drew Maxx into his arms.

Spellbinder turned and walked away, stopping next to the open entrance to the cave. Seconds later she felt Cobalt Kid move up behind her and wrap his arms around her. She leaned back into the embrace.

“Do you really think that this theory is going to work?” he asked her quietly. He could feel her tremble but knew that it would not show to anyone looking at her. She turned her head toward him.

“Honestly? I think it will work, but there is no guarantee. However, Maxx is also right. We really don’t have any choice. None of us can fly far enough to reach another star system, even with our flight rings. And without food or water, we’ll never make it long enough for help to arrive, even if the homing beacon was successfully launched, which is doubtful.”

She looked over to her brother and brother-in-law. “For all our sakes, I hope I’m right.”

--------------------

Spellbinder
Founder

Part Five:

Gemina: Located on the outer fringes of the United Planets, the small planet Gemina is primarily a trading colony. Each day, hundreds of cargo ships access the planet’s spaceport, importing and exporting goods between the United Planets and neighboring border systems. It is known as one of the most dangerous spaceports in the United Planets, and few outside the trade systems venture there.
Encyclopedia Galactica - 3006 Edition

Docking Bay 16 was located in one of the seldom-used branches of the Gemina Intergalactic Spaceport, due to its smaller size. Few of the cargo vessels landing on the planet could use such a small docking bay, so with the exception of smaller personal cruisers, the bay didn’t see much traffic. On this particular day, for instance, nothing had been there except for the security droids that passed through every half-hour.

Therefore, there was no one present that day to see the access hatch of the bay suddenly begin to glow as strange energy passed across it. The portal began to crackle and pop as the Gate opened and five figures stumbled through it, each one collapsing to the floor as soon as they were through. The last figure through wearily reached up toward the Gate, and the energy slowly was drawn to him. Finally, after what seemed an eternity, the last of the energy was absorbed and the bay was darkened once again as only the emergency lighting was on.

Loser Lad fought the urge to vomit as he pushed himself up to a sitting position. “Okay, that sucked a lot more than I expected,” he managed, wheezing slightly as he tried to catch his breath. A mental command to his flight ring deactivated his transsuit, and he could barely hear the soft whooshing sound that told him his companions had just done the same.

“Sorry about that, guys,” Maxx said as he leaned back against the wall, fists clenched at his sides. “I guess that the Gate wasn’t strong enough to provide a very comfortable passing.”

Cobalt Kid and Spellbinder leaned against each other and Spellbinder pushed her long blonde tresses back from her face. “Well, we came out the other end alive and physically intact, so I think it could have been much worse.”

Crusader moved himself weakly to sit next to his husband, his eyes searching for signs of trouble. “Are you all right, Maxx?”

The sorcerer managed a small smile and a trembling thumbs up. He knew that Crusader must have felt as crappy as he was. The soul-link had more or less worked as they had hoped, and the Gate had taken a lot of energy out of the both of them. Although the Gate energy that he had re-absorbed was now evening out between the two of them, they were both as weak as kittens.

Loser Lad was leaning back against a storage crate, his trusty OmniCom in his hands. He pointed the device out toward the open space in the center of their group and pressed a button. A holographic display appeared in the air, giving the heroes the appearance of comrades seated around a campfire. The display showed a small planet, with scrolling text along one side, showing information about the planet.

“Well, on the bright side we appear to have reached our destination,” he said cheerfully.

Crusader rolled his eyes toward Maxx. “Do I even want to know why you were ever here, dear?”

Maxx pulled at his collar uncomfortably and looked sheepishly at Crusader. “Now, now, honey, we all have pasts. No need to drag up old skeletons.”

“Not like you can hide stuff from a telepath,” Cobalt Kid muttered. Crujectra jabbed him in the ribs with her elbow, knocking the wind out of him for a second. “Sweetie,” he said, a facetious grin on his face. The haughty look on her face let him know that the subject would come up again at a later, and much more private, time. Cobalt Kid sighed. He promised himself that someday he would learn…

--------------------

Spellbinder
Founder

Part Six:

Spellbinder looked around the Men’s Room and scowled. She was sure that it was just a coincidence that they were forced to come to this establishment in order to charter passage back to Legion World, but the look of rapture on the faces of Cobalt Kid and Loser Lad said otherwise. Turning away from the visage of a scantily clad, large breasted woman currently gyrating on the stage directly in front of her boyfriend, she took in the rest of the patrons.

The club was filled with filthy, dangerous looking men, some seated at the various bars around the room, others around a number of small tables and booths scattered around the room. There were exotic dancers of any number of races moving along bar tops and in ceiling cages, and nearly topless waitresses moved from table to table carrying trays of drinks and heaven knows what else. And she didn’t even want to guess what was going on behind the guarded door in the back of the room.

Chartering a ship wasn’t the fastest way home, but after resting up a bit they had unanimously decided that Gating was not an option. It had gotten them to an inhabited world, but it was simply too dangerous to keep doing it. The sound of a bottle breaking and an argument nearby made her wonder if perhaps one more Gate would have been advisable.

While Cobalt Kid and Loser Lad were finding a ship, Crusader and Maxx had gone to find a communications center to send a call back home. In the off chance that the distress call had gotten out prior to the destruction of the Outpost, they wanted to assure the LMBP that they were alive and in one piece. If they were closer to Legion World they could have just used the communicators built into their flight rings, but this far out there was little chance that they would have gotten through.

Spellbinder sensed the trouble before it appeared. Actually, she smelled the trouble first: she doubted that the pilot had bathed any time in the recent past. She turned slowly to find an enormously fat man standing behind her, one hand clutching the bar for support, another hand holding a drink, a third hand itching himself in a decidedly inappropriate spot, and yet a fourth hand reaching out for her shoulder.

“May I help you, sir?” she asked, moving backward slightly to avoid the unwanted physical contact.

“I just thought it was a shame that a pretty little thing like you was standing here all by her lonesome,” he slurred, his breath almost tangible in it’s odor. He adjusted himself as he continued. “You looked like you could use the company of a real man.” His wolfish grin showed a significant lack of teeth.

Spellbinder raised a single eyebrow. “Let me assure you, sir, that you have completely misinterpreted this situation.”

The drunken pilot laughed uproariously, his jiggling belly threatening to tear through his stained undershirt. He eyed her appraisingly. “You’re a feisty one, ain’tcha?” He leaned in a little closer. “I bet I could fetch a nice price for a girl like you. ‘Course, I would have to test the merchandise out first, just to make sure everything’s working right. Mebbe I would even keep ya fer myself.”

“Well, as appealing as that sounds, dear, I’ve already got a man in my life, and he’s more than enough to keep me occupied.” She nodded her head towards Cobalt Kid, who had turned to check on Crujectra and was taking in the situation at the bar. His scowl didn’t look promising.

“That little bit of a man?” the pilot asked incredulously. “He ain’t even half the man that I am. I’m thinking he ain’t near man enough to stop me from taking you right outta here.”

Crujectra frowned as she saw Cobalt Kid moving across the bar, a determined look on his face. “If I were you, I’d leave now. Things are about to turn ugly.”

The pilot began to laugh again, clearly entertained that Crujectra actually thought that her boyfriend could take him on. He was laughing a lot less when Cobalt Kid’s metal-gloved fist connected with the pilot’s jowly chin. Crujectra just barely felt the power surge when Cobalt Kid magnetically fortified the glove, giving his punch much more bang for his buck than it might have had. She had to admit that the sight of the pilot sailing backward onto a nearby table was fairly impressive. The table breaking was certainly no surprise. And she supposed that the group of angry pilots standing up, covered in spilled drinks was a bad sign.

Crusader and Maxx entered the bar and immediately scanned the bar for their companions. It came as no surprise to find them in the middle of a barroom brawl, although they were moderately surprised to see Crujectra involved. Crusader made a mental note to congratulate his sister on her mean right hook.

It took the pair less than five minutes to pull their friends out of the fight. It would have taken less, but that stripper was reluctant to release her grip on Loser Lad’s scalp. The quintet stood together in the alley outside the club, their faces illuminated by the light coming from the neon breasts hovering just about the entrance. Loser Lad and Cobalt Kid each had a huge grin on their face, and a couple of bruises just beginning to appear. Crujectra smiled at the pair, and had the grace to look a little embarrassed to have taken part in the melee. Maxx stood silently off to the side, thinking it best to keep out of it.

Crusader folded his arms across his chest and looked at the trio, his displeasure evident on his face. “Did you kids have a good time playing with the other kids? Did you make lots of friends?”

Cobalt Kid’s smile slipped a bit. “Aw, c’mon Cru…”

Crusader held up a hand, and Cobalt Kid bit his tongue. “I’m not even going to ask who started it,” he said, and from the look he shot Cobalt Kid he probably had a fair guess already, “although I am curious if you managed to ask any of those pilots about a ride before you attempted to give them an extreme makeover?”

Cobalt Kid and Loser Lad looked to each other for support, and then turned, crestfallen, back toward Crusader. “Would you like us to go back in and ask?” Loser Lad asked.

Crusader rolled his eyes, and the pair knew that all was forgiven. “Luckily for you, I have some good news and some bad news.

“The bad news is that I wasn’t able to make contact with Legion World. They seemed to be receiving the transmission, but nobody was replying.

“The good news is that while we were in the communications center we ran into a Psyonian spice merchant, and he was more than willing to offer us a ride to Legion World.”

Cobalt Kid looked pensive. “Why wouldn’t Legion World respond to your hail? Even if for some reason there was no one in the monitor room, the automated systems should have taken the call. This can’t be good.”

Loser Lad straightened up, his expression serious. “I think we’d better get to that spice ship. I’m thinking that the faster we get back to Legion World, the better.”

--------------------

Spellbinder
Founder

Part Seven:

There were many types of merchant ships in the United Planets, ranging anywhere from refurbished garbage scows to top of the line cargo dreadnaughts. However, there were few ships in the galaxy quite like the Psyonian ships. Sleek designs coupled with almost obsessive dedication to care and maintenance made them one of the impressive fleets of starships known to 31st Century man. The cargo cruiser Queen’s Favor was no exception. With its cargo of various spices unloaded on Gemina, the silver ship cleaved through space with impressive speed.

Which worked out well since time appeared to be of the essence.

“Captain Hartok, have you had any success contacting Legion World Command?” Spellbinder asked, stepping onto the bridge. She had been making routine visits from the crew quarters where the Legionnaires were staying during this trip, but each visit came with the same results.

“I’m afraid not, Your Highness. We’ve been hailing Legion World Command at regular intervals, but to no avail.” The gruff looking captain turned to look at his Princess. “We have, however, been able to hail a few vessels between here and Legion World.”

“Your tone doesn’t sound very promising,” Cobalt Kid said as he crossed the bridge to stand next to his girlfriend.

“It’s not, sir. Apparently Legion World has been closed off to all interstellar traffic. No ships have been launched from there in three days, and all approaching vessels have been ignored when they’ve asked for permission to land at Legion World Spaceport.”

The captain paused, and seemed to be considering his next words carefully.

“What aren’t you telling us, Captain Hartok?” Crujectra asked.

“One ship tried to land without clearance. Its fuel pods were damaged, and it wouldn’t have been able to reach another space dock. Reports have been spreading that the craft was destroyed by the planetary defense systems.”

Crujectra gasped and Cobalt Kid stiffened at her side. Planetary defense fell under the jurisdiction of the Office of Security, of which Cobalt Kid was the Chief. He could not believe that his staff would be responsible for destroying a defenseless merchant ship.

“Sir!”

The trio turned to face a young crewman seated before a nearby control panel. Beyond him they could see a radar display. “Long range scanners have detected two unidentified objects approaching… fast!”

“Put it on screen, crewman,” the captain replied, turning back around in his command chair to face the forward view screen. There they could see two small objects in the center of the screen, slowly growing larger as they came nearer to the ship. “Magnify the image.” The screen flickered, and suddenly the two objects were clearer. They were two men, hurtling through space at phenomenal speeds. Flying alongside the man to the rear was what looked like a large eyeball.

“It’s the BoyWithUltraPowers and Vee!” Cobalt Kid exclaimed. He turned to look at the captain. “Captain Hartok, try to hail them. You should able to contact them through their flight rings.”

Precious seconds ticked by as the two heroes kept drawing nearer. “No response, sir.”
Cobalt Kid turned to Spellbinder, but the distant look on her face told him that she was already ahead of him. She cocked her head to the side, a look of confusion on her face. Suddenly her eyes widened in horror. “Captain, take evasive maneuvers… NOW!”

“Too late! All hands brace for impact!”

The ship lurched to the side as the two figures slammed into the hull. The lights overhead changed immediately from white to red, and a klaxon sounded. “Hull breach on level three, Captain!” the crewman at the monitor station said.

“Crujectra, what’s going on? What happened when you tried to contact them telepathically?”

“I made contact, but it wasn’t them. Well, not exactly. I sensed their thoughts, but they were buried beneath another presence. Something alien."

Cobalt Kid looked to the view screen. The pair had punched a hole completely through the hull, and had come out on the other side. “Not the kind of people that I would want mind controlled.” The two figured swiveled around, and were suddenly heading back toward the ship. “Well crap.”

Spellbinder turned to the captain. “I don’t suppose this ship has shields?”

“Strong enough to stop Vee and the BoyWithUltraPowers?” he responded. “Not likely.”

“Swell.”

Loser… Maxx… Crusader… get to the bridge immediately!

The starship lurched again as the mind-controlled heroes punctured the hull a second time. As before, they cut clear through the ship to emerge out the other side. The bridge doors slid open and Crusader, Maxx and Loser Lad stumbled through. Cobalt Kid turned to face them. “Sooooo, anybody feel like going out there and asking those two why the heck they’re attacking us?”

Loser Lad looked to the view screen and whistled softly. Turning back to Cobalt Kid with a smirk on his face, he responded, “Be sure to tell them we said hello, Cobes.”

Spellbinder rolled her eyes. She reached out a hand to her brother, who clasped it firmly with one of his own. Together the twins turned to face the view screen. As one they reached out with their thoughts, past the outer hull of the Queen’s Own, across the vacuum of space, and to their attacking friends. Crujectra chose the BoyWithUltraPowers and Crusader reached out for Vee and the Emerald Eye.

Contact!

Never before had the twins encountered such alien thoughts. No sense of self existed in them, only a sense of being part of a greater whole. They found it impossible to latch on to the mercurial pattern of the puppeteers pulling the strings of their friends. However, behind the swirling pattern of alien thoughts, they felt the trapped consciousnesses of their teammates, fighting to break free but unable to overcome the alien force in command of their bodies.

Gripping tighter, the twins surged out with psionic force. They couldn’t break the bond, not in this time and environment, but they could disrupt it. They began to build mental barriers in the minds of Vee and the BoyWithUltraPowers, forcing the alien presence to reroute its way through their minds, attempting to both break the barriers are re-establish control.

The twins separated, and Spellbinder turned to the captain. “We don’t have much time, Captain Hartok, so I would suggest putting as much distance between ourselves and them as possible.”

“Best speed to Legion World, crewman!” he ordered, and the Queen’s Own began to move away from the pair of possessed Legionnaires, who seemed oblivious to their escape as they attempted to regain control of themselves. The Eye, however, watched them carefully.

--------------------

Spellbinder
Founder

Part Eight:

LMBP Plaza: Situated on the huge lot that was the former Psyonian Embassy building, LMBP Plaza is the new Legion World base of operations for the Legion of Message Board Posters. Sprawling gardens surround a small number of administrative and residential buildings, such as the Administrative Tower, Swan Hall, Levitz Hall, the Med-Lab, the Hangar Bay and the LMBP Academy. A special section of the gardens, Macneil Grove, featured the Hall of Fallen Heroes statues, dedicated to the memory of beloved Legionnaires who had fallen in battle.

Situated at the top of Levitz Hall was the penthouse suite of Spellbinder. The luxurious apartment featured all of the creature comfort that a princess could want, such as a staff of muscular men who attended the princess’ needs, a private spa, large bedroom suite, and plenty of room for entertaining friends and teammates. With the Princess away from Legion World, the staff had also been given time off, and the apartment was being maintained by the Legion World servo-bots.

Suddenly the patio doors began to glow as Gate energy crackled along it. The five Legionnaires stepped through the portal and within seconds the energy had been re-absorbed. Maxx looked around the darkened apartment, a look of puzzlement on his face. “You know, I was half-expecting an alarm.”

Crujectra smiled. “You forget that Cobie and I were in charge of the construction of LMBP Plaza. We built in a few… safeguards.” She moved across the living room, followed closely by her teammates. She stopped before a wall of display cabinets. “Crujectra-Level A-Priority Code D145B2.” Suddenly the display cabinets slid aside to reveal a security console hidden in a shallow alcove behind the cabinetry.

Loser Lad frowned. “Gee, and I didn’t even get a free coffee machine in my suite.”

Spellbinder flipped her hair back over her shoulder and smiled sweetly. “Perhaps, but the Loser Cave does have a direct portal to my suite. Not everyone gets that, either.”

Loser Lad grinned.

Cobalt Kid sat down before the console and entered in a series of pass codes. The monitors flared to life. “When I designed the Legion World Security Systems, I installed password-encoded fail safes into the system. In the event that the Security Office was compromised, I can access the system through any number of hidden consoles across the planet.” He frowned. “Well, this isn’t good.”

According to the text scrolling along the centermost display, most of Legion World’s security systems had been shut down several days ago. Planetary defenses remain online, but all operating systems had been re-routed to the Administration Tower. In addition, much of the planet’s financial and material resources were being redirected into new accounts. For all intents and purposes, it would appear that the Legion of Message Board Posters had taken over Legion World.

“But that’s insane,” Crusader exclaimed. “Why on earth would the LMBP take control of the planet?”

“And how could this have happened so quickly?” Loser Lad asked. “We’ve only been gone a few days, and things were normal before we left.”

Cobalt Kid leaned back in his chair and steepled his fingers. “My guess is that Vee and Matt aren’t the only Legionnaires being mind controlled.” He shuddered at the implications. On their own, the LMBP were one of the most powerful organizations in the United Planets. Forced against their will to do someone else’s bidding? Legion World could just be the first step in a plot to overthrow the entire United Planets!

“Crap!” Crujectra said suddenly, her hands moving to her temples. Her brother quickly mirrored her.

“What’s wrong?”

“We need to leave,” Crujectra said, moving across the living room. “Now.”

“Someone has just mind-scanned this penthouse,” Crusader explained, following his sister toward her bedroom suite. “Crujectra and I were able to block the scan, but if it was a telepath like Saturn Girl doing the scan, then most likely she detected our presence.”

“So we’re going to take a nap?” Maxx asked, following the others into Crujectra’s bedroom.

The princess smiled. “Not quite.” Placing her palm flat against the wall, she activated a secret panel in the wall of her room. The panel slid aside to reveal an access tube, which shot straight downward.

Loser Lad shook his head. “Another secret panel? You people have been living in castles for too long.”

“Don’t knock it, dear,” Spellbinder said, stepping into the shaft and floating downward under the power of her flight ring. “It’s most likely going to save our butts.” As the last of the group entered the access tube, the panel slid closed again.

The five heroes descended for several minutes, far lower than the lowest sub-basement of the Plaza. Finally they stepped out into a large room, buried deep below LMBP headquarters. On either wall they see access tunnels branching out, and on the far wall was a large garage door. The group stopped in the center of the room.

“Okay,” Cobalt Kid began. “We need to find out how bad the situation is. Crusader and Maxx, the two of you are going to infiltrate Legion World Gov. We need to find out who is being controlled and who is still free. Meanwhile, Crujectra, Loser and I are heading for the Security Office. We need to get Legion World Security back under our control.”

Loser Lad managed a weak grin. “The five of us against the entire LMBP and possibly half of Legion World? Yeah, that sounds fair enough.”

Crujectra smiled. “Okay,” she began, “that tunnel to the left leads to an access hatch not too far from Legion World Gov. Hopefully that will be close enough for you to get inside.”

“And what about you guys?” Crusader asked as he and Maxx moved toward the tunnel entrance.

Cobalt Kid looked toward the garage door. “I’ve got our transportation covered.”

--------------------

Spellbinder
Founder

Part Nine:

With a banshee wail from its twin jet engines, the sleek personal cruiser swooped down from the skies above Legionnopolis, pulling up at the last instant to level out and rocket down the busy city streets. There wasn’t another craft like it on the planet, and there was certainly not another trio of passengers like those carried within the cockpit of this particular cruiser.

To the casual observer, one might suspect that these were simply joy riders recklessly entertaining themselves in a speeder that they probably couldn’t afford.

Then, however, one would see that they were being pursued.

Arching down from the sky, three dark figures matched the path taken by the cruiser. They were nearly impossible to see clearly, due to the high speeds at which they were flying. However, the citizens of Legionnopolis were far too familiar with their local celebrities to not know immediately who they were: the BoyWithUltraPowers, Vee and Abin Quank, three of the most recognizable members of the LMBP.

Inside the cruiser, Cobalt Kid’s fingers danced across the control panels, sending the sleek vessel zigzagging back and forth across the highway, narrowly avoiding the seeking energy of Abin Quank’s power ring. His brows knit in concentration, he called back to his companions in the passenger seats behind him.

“We’re not going to be able to outrun them on the planet surface, and I doubt that I’m going to be able to avoid them indefinitely.”

Spellbinder sighed in resignation. “Keep up the evasive maneuvers,” she said, unbuckling her seatbelt. “I’ll try to sidetrack them.” Reaching out a delicate finger, she pressed a button to her right and seconds later the transparent dome of the cockpit retracted back into the hull of the cruiser. She stood up, bracing herself against the seat to prevent the winds from knocking her down, her long blond tresses whipping about her.

Raising her hands before her, the princess prepared to lash out. Propelled by the force of her will, a section of pavement tore itself free and rose up suddenly into the air, directly in the path of Vee. Unable to change his course, he flew headlong into the debris. He dropped to the ground.

Suddenly Abin Quank aimed his ring-bearing arm toward the cruiser, and a beam of emerald energy shot outward. Loser Lad stood up next to Spellbinder and gestured backward, calling upon the Loser Force. The emerald beam suddenly fizzled out just inches from reaching its target. Abin howled in fury as he realized that, somehow, his power ring had lost its charge.

“Not bad,” Spellbinder said, smiling to her companion. “Now, what to do about Matty Poo…”

The thunderous boom of multiple lightning bolts raining down upon the street drowned the rest of her sentence out. Cobalt Kid fought to swerve around them as the cruiser sped down the street. He reached out and activated a targeting system on the dashboard before him, and twin laser turrets rose from hidden compartments in the rear of the craft. Laser fire blasted upward, forcing Lightning Lad to seek cover behind a building.

“Woohoo!” Cobalt Kid yelled triumphantly. “You rock, Fred!”

Spellbinder shook her head, her eyes never leaving Ultra Matt as he rocketed in their wake. “I still can’t believe you call this cruiser ‘Fred.’”

Cobalt Kid laughed. “What can I say? When I first saw him, I thought he looked like a Fred. ‘Fred, the Cobalt Cruiser.’”

Loser Lad looked over at the princess. “You do realize that you’re dating a geek, right?”

Spellbinder sighed. “You have no idea.” She looked back at Ultra Matt thoughtfully. Okay, she thought. What do you know about the BoyWithUltraPowers? Strength, speed, flight, vision powers, invulnerability… but only one power at a time. He’s most likely using his flight ring right now, and is probably using invulnerability. To take him out, he’s going to have to switch to something else…

“Cobie dear, where exactly are we?”

“Coming up on the Kitson Tunnel, Crujeckie. Why?”

“Floor it, dear.”

The Cobalt Cruiser shot forward at even greater speed, rocketing down the avenue with the LMBPer in pursuit. The entrance to the tunnel loomed closer and closer. Another few seconds and they were in. A split second later, Ultra Matt followed them in. Crujectra smiled. She turned to Loser Lad. “Loser dear, bring the house down.”

Seeing her plan, Loser Lad reached out with both hands and the Loser Force surged outward. Support pylons that had been inspected only this morning buckled, unable to support the tunnel’s weight. Underground water and sewage pipes overloaded and ruptured. Within seconds, the tunnel floor exploded upward and the roof collapsed. Unable to turn away in time, Ultra Matt found himself buried beneath the debris.

“I sure hope Matt’s in a forgiving mood after this is all over with,” Loser Lad said, suddenly realizing that an angry Ultra Matt was not a good thing.

“Don’t worry, dear. I can handle Matty Poo.”

Of that Loser Lad had no doubt.

--------------------

Spellbinder
Founder

Part Ten:

Legion World Gov: Like the other United Planets member worlds, Legion World is overseen by an administrative branch called Legion World Gov. Under the guidance of the Legion World Council, this entity is in charge of regulating laws, running the planet’s environmental systems, and maintaining diplomatic relations with the other United Planets member worlds. Legion World Gov Headquarters is situated at the southernmost end of the infamous Embassy Row, facing LMBP Plaza, which sits at the northernmost end of the avenue.

Of all of the buildings on Legion World, there were none that saw the same amount of foot traffic as Legion World Gov Headquarters. Every hour, hundreds of diplomats and representatives passed through the building’s entrance, each independently going about a variety of business affairs. Some came seeking support for an administrative bill that they wished to present to the Legion World Council, hoping it would become law. Others were seeking a judicial ruling for trade disputes.

Whatever their reason for being there, one factor was undeniable: there was no better place to blend into a crowd.

Crusader and Maxx were amazed at how easy it was to simply walk purposefully through the front doors. Building Security was so used to seeing an endless sea of faces passing through the corridors that it was nearly impossible to detect who might not belong there. After all, if you were inside the building, it was safe enough to assume that your documentation had been verified at the main entrance.

Of course, no one bothered to take into account that for a powerful telepath, even a blank sheet of paper could be proper documentation.

So, what exactly are we looking for? Maxx thought as he walked along beside his husband. They had stopped only long enough for the sorcerer to cast a glamour upon them, an illusion that made them appear to be dressed in smart business suits and changed their physical appearance just enough to disguise the fact that one of the most famous faces in United Planets Politics had just arrived.

Crusader’s eyes scanned from side to side, his mind reaching out to lightly brush the thoughts of the people passing by. Not invasive enough to be detected, but enough to sense the alien presence that he had felt in space. We’re looking for what we shouldn’t find. The pair continued through the lobby and into one of the high-speed lifts. Less than one minute later, they stepped out onto the Office Level for the Legion World Council.

Moving from the lift, Crusader reached out with his thoughts, scanning the offices that they approached. Suddenly a door ahead of them opened, and a middle-aged man entered the corridor. Gotcha. The alien presence was so heavy in him that Crusader was almost surprised that he couldn’t have seen it simply by looking at him. To all outward appearances, though, there was nothing out of the ordinary about this diplomat.
The couple followed him down the corridor, and when he passed through a door Maxx reached out a hand, grabbing Crusader by the arm and pulling him to a stop. “Sweetie, where exactly do you think you’re going?”

“I’m going to go and corner him, Maxx. We have to find out what he knows.”

One eyebrow rose. “Mykel, you’re not seriously planning to corner some guy in the men’s room.”

The Prince of Psyonia grinned. “People do it all the time, dear.” Before his husband could voice another protest, Crusader pushed through the door. He knew without turning that Maxx had followed. Some people had no sense of trust.

Crusader walked up to stand at the urinal next to the alien diplomat, and pretended to conduct his bodily business. His face not betraying his actions, he sent out his thoughts to connect with the man beside him. He was painfully careful with his probe, determined to keep the alien presence from sensing he was there.

Apparently it was just going to be one of those days.

The man spun around to face telepath, his eyes widening in recognition and bodily fluid spraying across the floor. Nauseated yet determined, Maxx reached out a hand and cast his spell. Bands of energy encircled the man, instantly binding his hands and feet. A final band covered his mouth, silencing him before he could race an alarm.

“Well,” Crusader said. “I guess there’s no point in being subtle now.”

Summoning his will, he assaulted the alien presence hidden behind the diplomat’s eyes. There were thoughts there, but it was like trying to scoop up water with a fork. The presence flowed like liquid, evading his every probe. Although Crusader couldn’t read the thoughts, there was one thing he could detect: desperation. He felt the presence begin to surge.

“Maxx, look out!”

Suddenly the man’s eyes filled with darkness, a darkness that exploded from him and sought to bridge the distance between the diplomat and the sorcerer. Maxx raised both hands and gestured wildly. Raw magical energy pulsated from him, arching outward to meet the approaching shadow. The two forces met in mid-air, and their impact resulted in an explosion of light. When the flare subsided, the shadow was gone.

The diplomat, now freed from his possession, began to slump down to the floor. Crusader reached out psionically and eased his descent to the tiles beneath him. Crusader knelt beside him and placed a hand gently on his shoulder. The man jumped, his eyes widened in terror. “Easy sir,” Crusader said reassuringly. “You’re safe now.”

“Can you tell us what happened to you?” Maxx asked, kneeling down behind Crusader.

Slowly the man told his story. His name was Roon Berq, the newest addition to the Legion World Council. He had gone to a council meeting three days ago, and when he arrived, he thought that the other council members were acting strangely. It was then that he felt a presence behind him, and when he started to turn he saw his shadow on the floor darken and then flow up his body. He had opened his mouth to scream, but the shadow poured into it, choking back the sound. He had felt another presence in his head, and his consciousness was forced back and he became a passenger in his own body.

He was vaguely aware of what he was doing, but he could not stop himself. He and the other council members took control of Legion World’s finances and material resources, re-routing them into council accounts and warehouses. Although he didn’t believe that the general populace of Legion World was being controlled, he knew that these strange shadow creatures had taken control of the entire council, the Office of Security and finally every member of the Legion of Message Board Posters who were on Legion World at the time. Once in control of the planetary defenses, they closed off the planet from all incoming traffic.

“So, are the citizens aware of what’s going on?” Crusader asked, beginning to take in the scope of the problem.

“They were told that the planet was being quarantined for security reasons, but as far as I know they are not aware that the shadow beings exist.”

Crusader stood up and helped Berq to his feet. “I think it would be best to get you out of here, sir. There’s a chance that the other shadow held are aware that your shadow was destroyed, and I don’t think it’s safe for you to be here.”

The trio moved to the door and began to step out into the corridor. Crusader was barely able to throw up a hasty telekinetic shield before Sharklad, whose razor sharp jaws were snapping wildly trying to bite into Crusader’s flesh, knocked him to the ground. Maxx began to move forward to help his husband when he was struck by an energy blast, which threw him backward against the wall. He looked up to see Invisible Brainiac standing down the hall, one arm raised before him, clearly preparing to fire a second blast.

Screaming out an incantation, Maxx retaliated. The walls on either side of Invisible Brainiac began to transform, reaching out toward the shadow held hero like pulled taffy. The walls wrapped themselves around the hero’s forearms, subduing him even as he attempted to free himself. Without a second thought, Maxx rushed forward and thrust his hand deep into Invisible Brainiac’s chest. With a look of grim determination on his face, he moved his hand around as though searching, and tried to ignore his friend’s cries of agony. Suddenly he pulled his hand free, the shadow being clutched in his grip and pulled free of his captive.

Another shouted incantation and the shadow being burst into flames, the mystic fire consuming the creature. Within seconds it was gone.

He turned to face Sharklad, who looked at him with knowing eyes. The shadow held spun around swiftly and leaped away from the fallen Crusader. Reaching the end of the corridor in a flash, Sharklad leaped forward and crashed through the window.

Maxx rushed to Crusader’s side, concern evident on his face. “Mykel, are you all right?”

Crusader brushed back his blond hair and pushed himself up into a sitting position. “I’m okay. My shield was able to hold him off, but just barely. The man is ferocious. Now I know how the chum must feel.” He looked past his partner to glance at Invisible Brainiac, who hung limply in his bonds. “How’s IB?”

Maxx looked back over his shoulder. “Well, I’m no psychic, but I think he’ll be all right. I freed him from the shadow, but I have no idea if these possessions have any lasting effect on them.” He turned back to face Crusader. “Any idea what these shadow beings are?”

“I have a sneaking suspicion,” he replied, rising to his feet. “I believe we’re faced them before, but these shadows are different.” The pair walked over to stand beside Invisible Brainiac. “I think we’d better get over to the Office of Security.”

--------------------

Spellbinder
Founder

Part Eleven:

The Office of Security: Established shortly after the construction of Legion World, the Office of Security is responsible for all matters of planetary security and defense. Although the department operates independently of the Legion of Message Board Posters, all of the department heads in the Security Office have always been LMBP members. Although department heads have changed from time to time, the lifetime position of Head of Security belongs to the legendary LMBPer, Cobalt Kid.

The late afternoon sunlight shone down over the face of the Office of Security complex, glistening against the polymer windows and inertron walls. Situated in the center of a courtyard behind high outer walls, the Office of Security featured state-of-the-art surveillance equipment, including scanning devices, laser grids and anti-intruder detainment equipment. There wasn’t an inch of the building that was not closely monitored by either human eyes or sophisticated computers.

It was virtually impregnable.

Unless, of course, you helped to design it.

Fred, the Cobalt Cruiser, sped silently along an underground tunnel beneath the city. If you were to call up the architectural plans of the city, this tunnel would not appear on any of them. It was designed as a failsafe should the Office of Security become compromised. To be honest, Cobalt Kid had never really imagined that he would ever need to use it to sneak into his own office.

This week had been one for first times, however.

The cruiser slowed to a stop in a large garage at the end of the tunnel. The cockpit dome retracted and the trio of Legionnaires leaped from the craft. Loser Lad stretched, working out some of the kinks that he had developed during the trip over. “You know, if I never have to travel through another underground tunnel, it will be too soon.”

Cobalt Kid rolled his eyes at his friend. “Dude, you live in a cave!”

“Hello! Cave… no tunnels. Caves make cool headquarters. Tunnels are just… well, they’re not caves.”

Spellbinder swatted each of them on the back of the head as she passed between them. “Focus, boys.” She turned around before them, confident that she now had their attention. “How do we get upstairs, Cobie dear?”

With a big grin on his face, Cobalt Kid rushed forward to place his hand against the wall. He frowned momentarily when nothing happened. He moved his hand to the right and scowled. Finally, after having moved his hand to the far left, he smiled triumphantly as the room filled with a low humming noise. Suddenly a section of wall next to him faded from sight, revealing a small alcove. Inside was a small console mounted on the back wall, and on the floor in the center of the alcove there was a small metallic disc, just large enough for one person to stand on.

“Ta-da!”

A single eyebrow rose as the princess looked into the alcove. “Congratulations, Cobie Cakes. That’s got to be the nicest… umm… hidden broom closet that I’ve ever seen.”

Cobalt Kid sighed in exasperation. Was he the only one who read Security Gadgets Monthly? “Sweetie, it’s not a broom closet,” he explained patiently. “It’s a single passenger site-to-site teleporter!”

Spellbinder paused momentarily to reflect upon the dimensional portal in her private suite at LMBP Plaza, which seemed much more impressive to her. She then decided to do the whole “supportive girlfriend” thing. “Very cool!” she enthused, elbowing Loser Lad in the side when he seemed about to laugh. “You don’t see one of those just anywhere around Legion World.”

Cobalt Kid turned back to face the teleporter alcove and grinned appreciatively. “You got that right, Crujeckie.” Confident that his friends were suitably impressed, he moved into the alcove and activated the control console before him. The monitor flickered to life, showing the interior of an office that appeared to not be in use, as the lights were lowered and there was no sign of recent activity.

“This teleporter links up to one hidden in another alcove in my office,” Cobalt Kid explained as the others crowded into the alcove behind him and looked over his shoulder. “Now, before I left for Epstalla VII, I closed up my office. I never leave my office open when I’m away from Legion World. You can never be too careful.

“From the looks of things, my personal security system is still activated, and my office appears to be safe. We can teleport up there one by one, and from there we can see what else is going on around here.” His fingers moved across the console controls. I’ve set the teleporter to initiate three simultaneous site-to-site transports. I’ll go through first and open up the other end, and then Crujeckie will follow when the teleporter fires up again. Loser Lad can bring up the rear.” Both Spellbinder and Cobalt Kid chose to ignore Loser Lad’s lewd remark about “Crujeckie’s rear.”

“Everybody ready?” Seeing affirmative nods, Cobalt Kid pressed a final button and stepped onto the teleporter disc as his teammates stepped out of the alcove. Within seconds the teleporter activated, and Cobalt Kid’s body began to tingle and he began to shimmer. He watched, fascinated, as his vision of his friends began to blur. When his sight cleared seconds later, he was no longer looking at Spellbinder and Loser Lad, but was instead facing a blank wall. When the teleporter finished its cycle, the emergency lights in the closed alcove activated. Cobalt Kid stepped forward quickly and placed his palm quickly against the wall. A wall section disappeared, and he moved swiftly out into the office before Spellbinder’s teleport could begin.

It was kind of funny, really. Sure, he could hear the hum of machinery that told him that the teleporter was on, but to be honest he thought he would have known regardless that Princess Crujectra was now materializing behind him. Maybe it was the rapport that they shared, or maybe it was just that she had more presence than any other woman he had ever met. Or maybe it was even something as simple and uncomplicated as love, not that he had ever before thought of love as being either simple or uncomplicated. Whatever the reason, he had never felt so aware of another person in his life as he did with Crujectra.

It was almost as though a missing part of him had finally been snapped back into place, making him whole.

“What are you smiling about, dear?” the princess asked, stepping off the teleporter disc and moving out into the office.

“Just missing you, Crujeckie,” Cobalt Kid replied, taking her gently into his arms.

“Good lord, you two,” came a voice from the alcove, sounding both amused and a little nauseated. “I know it’s been a couple of days, but could you focus on the matter at hand?”

Spellbinder turned in Cobalt Kid’s embrace, a haughty expression on her face. “Don’t make me come over there and pound you, Loser dear.”

Loser Lad grinned evilly and moved out into the room. Cobalt Kid moved over to his desk and sat down in the comfortable chair behind it. Loser Lad moved to stand to his left, and Spellbinder sat on the desktop to his right. Cobalt Kid’s fingers moved across the keyboard recessed into the desktop. Suddenly several holographic displays appeared before them, some showing surveillance footage while others showed scrollable text. The trio studied the displays grimly.

“It looks as though all Legion World security systems are being re-routed through the Administration Tower back at LMBP Plaza,” Cobalt Kid said, confirming his own suspicions. “Surveillance systems, planetary defense satellites, robotics, everything.”

Loser Lad frowned as he took it all in. “How could even the LMBP take over Legion World and have nobody realize anything’s wrong?”

“They trust us,” Spellbinder replied.

“And now it’s time to earn that trust,” Cobalt Kid said, a determined look on his face. “As Chief of Security, I have a failsafe override command built into the system. Once initiated, it will force a system-wide reboot. The entire grid will go down for one minute, and will revert to its original configuration once it restarts.” He leaned back in his chair, steepling his fingers.

“Now, on the plus side, once the system restarts I can scramble the access codes to prevent another takeover. On the minus side, it’s going to be fairly obvious when the system reboots. And there’s a strong possibility that we are going to be discovered. We’re most likely going to be overrun with security agents, some of whom will probably be Legionnaires.” Spellbinder and Loser Lad looked into each other’s eyes, and nodded a silent agreement.

“We’ll hold them off while you regain control of the system,” Loser Lad said.

Cobalt Kid smiled. “I have no doubt.” He leaned forward as Loser Lad and Spellbinder moved silently across the office, stopping before the main door. “Computer, Override Code Alpha-Delta-Delta-Priority One.”

“Override Code accepted… voice match confirmed… Security Chief Cobalt Kid recognized.”

Cobalt Kid gave his friends a final thumbs up as he said, “Legion World Security Grid Reboot… Engage.”

Cobalt Kid had many unusual gifts, as could be attested to by any number of people across the United Planets. Perhaps one of his lesser-known gifts was his one for understatement. When he had said that the system reboot would be “fairly obvious,” neither Spellbinder nor Loser Lad had known what to expect.

They should have expected the worst.

All across Legion World, security and power grids began to shut down. Entire city blocks went offline simultaneously. Sprawling metropolises went dark, and the planetary defense satellites in orbit around Legion World suddenly shut down. Few people on Legion World knew the true scope of the Office of Security. The truth was daunting.

Seconds ticked by excruciatingly slow as the three heroes waited in the darkness of the office. The silence was deafening. And, as it turned out, deceptive.

“Loser dear,” Spellbinder said calmly, steeling her will. “We’re on.”

The Princess of Psyonia moved forward, pushing the door aside with the strength of her determination. The pair stepped out into the corridor, back to back, ready to give Cobalt Kid the time he needed. Loser Lad raised both arms as the Loser Force surged through him like a tidal wave. Reality bent to his will, and the unlikely suddenly became certainty. Pipes running beneath the floor that had only seconds before been completely sound suddenly ruptured, bursting up through the floor to take the oncoming security guards by surprise. The explosions threw them aside like rag dolls, slamming them up against the walls of the corridor with sickening thuds.

From behind the security guards came Arachne and Jailbait Lass, who leaped acrobatically across the debris and bodies littered across the hallway. Summoning his power, Loser Lad teleported across the short distance between them, appearing in a flash of purple light directly behind the shadow held heroines. He spun around, and the Loser Force pulsed free again, this time focused on the two women before him. Waves of disorientation and confusion washed over them, and they began to stumble about, finally colliding together.

Spellbinder took advantage of Loser’s debris, and began telekinetically catapulting the wreckage down the corridor, picking off one security guard after another. She dropped to the floor suddenly as a fireball rocketed down the hallway, missing her by inches. Spellbinder looked up, annoyed. “Caliente dear, if you have so much as singed a single hair on my head I will be severely unhappy with you, possessed or not.”

Caliente moved along the corridor, hovering a foot above the floor, her body engulfed in flames. Spellbinder noticed that the security guards around her shrank back away from her miniaturized inferno, as if the flames were painful to them. Spellbinder sensed fear rolling off the possessed guards. Fear? Of another possessed captive? Interesting…

Suddenly the lights came back on in the building, and the complex hummed to life once more. Spellbinder marshaled her will, prepared to lash out at Caliente, but then stopped. Caliente threw back her head and screamed in agony as Maxx the Sorcerer thrust his hand deep into her back. She then dropped to the floor as the shadow within her was ripped free and burst into mystic flames.

Invisible Brainiac stepped forward, his arms stretched forward. “Don’t look, Princess,” he said as suddenly the entire corridor was engulfed in blinding light. The shadows within the security force suddenly tore free of the downed officers, rocketing along the hallway as they fled the pulse of light that Invisible Brainiac was generating. The last to flee were the shadows within Jailbait Lass and Arachne, who sagged to the ground themselves once their captors were gone.

Suddenly Cobalt Kid ran out of his office, striking a dramatic pose in the middle of the corridor. “Don’t worry, guys! Your back up is here!”

Spellbinder rolled her eyes and she moved forward to help Caliente to her feet.

--------------------

Spellbinder
Founder

Part Twelve:

The nine heroes flew through the night, their flight rings keeping them high off the ground and close to the buildings. Jailbait Lass had remained behind to fortify the Office of Security, which was now under Cobalt Kid’s control once again. Cobalt Kid had stopped long enough to slip into his costume, and his trench coat billowed in the wind as he flew point.

“I agree that those shadows seemed familiar, Mykel,” Spellbinder said, flying next to her twin brother. “But the Shadow Queen’s shadows weren’t capable of possession.”

“And those shadows were freed and returned to their own dimension once we defeated the Queen,” Loser Lad reminded them. “When we faced her at the end of time, she no longer had shadows to command. Her only power was her magic.”

“True,” Crusader agreed, arcing slightly as the heroes changed direction to follow the city street below them. “But remember that when we last saw her, she was looking for a way to regain her shadow powers. What if she’s found a way?”

Before his sister could reply, the heroes were struck by an enormously powerful burst of energy. The concussive force of the blast threw them all backward from the epicenter of the explosion. Most of the heroes struck the outer walls of nearby buildings, and stunned by the impact, they began to fall to the ground.

Arachne, who had been the farthest away from the blast, reached out with her mind, casting line after line of psionic webbing. With a skill and speed honed by years of practice, she constructed a huge web that stretched across the road below them. The semi-conscious heroes fell into the webbing, where they were caught and held safe. Arachne looked upward and cursed silently.

Floating in the air above them were a number of Legionnaires: Vee floated in the forefront, the Emerald Eye of Ekron hovering at his side; Fat Cramer and Lightning Lad flanked him on either side; standing behind them at super-size was MightyFanBoyMan, with Beagle Boy standing on his shoulder. In the distance behind them, Arachne could see the Administrative Tower jutting up over the outer wall of LMBP Plaza.

“Cobalt Kid, take Spellbinder and Invisible Brainiac and keep going. We’ll hold these guys off, and maybe free them.”

The trio rocketed skyward as the Legionnaires engaged in battle. Explosions echoed behind them, but they didn’t turn back. Whoever was behind the shadow possessions was in the Administrative Tower… they were sure of it. And that had to be the main priority.

They just hoped that they were right.

As they approached the outer wall of LMBP Plaza, Cobalt Kid raised his right wristband before him and pressed a series of buttons on the control panel built into it. Although they couldn’t see it, they knew that the plaza was protected by a powerful force field. With any luck, Cobalt Kid had just deactivated that field. Fingers crossed, they flew across the wall and over the gardens.

Hurricane winds suddenly ripped through the gardens, forcing trees to bend to one side and benches to lift from the ground and hurtle about dangerously. The winds slammed into the three Legionnaires like a brick wall, dragging them from each other. Hair and cape whipping violently around her, Spellbinder threw her arms out wide. Telekinetic power burst from her as she fought to hold her ground against the attack. She began to find solid objects against which she could anchor herself psionically: the garden wall, a thick tree, anything that seemed secure against the winds. Slowly she gained control of herself, and within moments she was suspended in midair, the winds beating at her but not moving her.

She reached out to her left and cast a telekinetic line to Invisible Brainiac. Once the connection was made, she began to drag him toward her. She then grabbed Cobalt Kid and began to reel him in as well. Once they were together, she closed her eyes and searched. There! She had found their attacker.

Guided by Crujectra, Cobalt Kid drew upon the magnetic fields in the area. He grabbed onto anything metallic on their attacker: belt buckle, buttons, even the iron in his blood. Disaster Boy gasped suddenly as he felt himself suddenly surging forward against his will, rocketing closer and closer to his adversaries. Cobalt Kid reinforced the metallic gloves he wore and swung. Disaster Boy’s head snapped to the side as Cobalt Kid’s punch connected with his jaw.

As Disaster Boy lost consciousness, the winds began to quickly die down without his power to command them.

As the trio of heroes began to move forward again, Cobalt Kid reached into an inside pocket of his trench coat and withdrew a small capsule. He tossed it toward Disaster Boy and magnetically guided it onto his chest. When the capsule made contact, a strange energy field suddenly sprang up around the downed hero. Spellbinder looked back inquisitively.

“Inhibitor field generator,” Cobalt Kid replied, catching up with the other two Legionnaires. “It should keep him contained until we can figure out what to do about him.”

One noble eyebrow rose in appreciation. “Goodness, I’m nearly trembling with curiosity to see what else you’re hiding in that trench coat.” Cobalt Kid chuckled as the trio reached the main entrance to the Administrative Tower.

The trio walked into the building’s lobby. Comfortable chairs and couches formed conversation areas about the space, and soothing colors and lush plants gave the room a very relaxed appearance. Directly across from the main doors was a reception desk, behind which sat the Legionnaires’ robotic receptionist, Arana. Typically a very personable android, always charming with guests, the heroes supposed that the laser rifle shouldn’t have been unexpected. Her aim was impressive, though. Luckily they had Invisible Brainiac, whose force shield proved more than capable of deflecting the rifle fire.

Of course, it put a crimp into moving forward.

“Cobie dear, I realize that Arana is feminine and everything,” Spellbinder said into her boyfriend’s ear. “However, I don’t think she will hold it against you if you were to subdue her magnetically.”

“Oh yeah!” he replied sheepishly. “I kinda forgot that she was made of metal.”

“I know, dear. Boobies tend to disrupt the blood flow to your upper extremities.”

The wounded expression he gave her would have been more amusing under other circumstances. Cobalt Kid reached out a hand and his power surged outward. Between one heartbeat and the next the rifle was flying through the air and Arana was hanging suspended in midair. Another disc was removed from the trench coat and flew across the room to land on the android’s chest. Energy crackled across her body and then suddenly her head drooped forward.

“Electrical system disruptor,” he said when his friends looked from the android to the Security Chief.

“Aren’t you just full of surprises today?”

The trio crossed the lobby to the pair of elevators situated on either side of the reception desk. As they approached, the elevator doors to the right opened. The elevator was empty. Cobalt Kid stopped before entering and raised his wristband before him. A few buttons were pressed and a holographic display appeared. It was a building schematic of the Administrative Tower, with a series of text boxes randomly scattered around it.

“According to my sensor readings, the building’s systems are being re-routed to the main conference room. As near as I can tell, that’s also where Legion World’s security systems were being controlled from as well.”

Spellbinder stepped into the elevator car and turned around. “Then I guess we’re going up.”

It took the elevator less than ten seconds to ascend the ten floors to the main conference level. The doors opened to reveal a small anteroom. Directly across from the elevator were the huge double doors of the conference room. The trio stepped out into the anteroom, and each fought the urge to jump when the elevator doors whooshed shut behind them.

Spellbinder looked levelly at the conference room doors, and sent out a telepathic probe. The room was being shielded against her probe, by a very powerful and very familiar telepath. “Well, I know where Saturn Girl is.” She pushed harder, trying in vain to break through Saturn Girl’s shield. She was finally forced to concede. Saturn Girl was every bit as strong a telepath as Spellbinder. Perhaps even stronger, she admitted, if only to herself.

“So boys,” she said calmly. “Who’s up for charging blindly into the unknown?”

Invisible Brainiac smiled. “Well, it is how we usually operate.”

Spellbinder looked at Cobalt Kid out of the corner of her eye. “You’ve been a horrible influence on him,” she said with a smile. Cobalt Kid returned the grin and the three heroes turned to face the closed doors. Invisible Brainiac raised both hands before him, prepared to erect a shield if necessary. Spellbinder stood still, her hands at her side. She gestured more for effect than for need when she used her telekinetic powers.

Cobalt Kid, ever the showman, raised both hands before him, fists pressed together. He then moved them swiftly apart and simultaneously the huge conference room doors were crushed backward like an accordion. Invisible Brainiac was barely able to form a shield quickly enough to deflect a column of ice that burst forth from the conference room. The ice molded to the shape of the shield, forming a semicircular dome before them.

Spellbinder’s brows drew downward as her will pushed forward, shattering the thick wall of ice and hurling the shards back into the room. With the ice opening their path, the trio rushed through the doorway and into the conference room. They were a bit dismayed at what they saw.

The huge conference table that usually took up most of the floor space in the huge room was gone. The room seemed barren without its presence. The walls, which normally showcased a variety of team photos of the LMBP through the years, were now covered with long tapestries, each one showing gruesome scenes depicting abominable monstrosities performing acts of unspeakable violence upon innocents. Lining the walls stood a battalion of security officers, each one clearly shadow held.

A huge dais had been placed against the far wall. Situated upon it were two thrones, both of which were shrouded in darkness. Lined up at the foot of the dais were six Legionnaires: Kid Marvel, the BoyWithUltraPowers, Rockhopper Lad, Future, Saturn Girl and Pagan Lass.

“We’re screwed,” Cobalt Kid said as his eyes passed from one shadow held to the next. Before them were some of the LMBP’s most powerful members, and as powerful as Spellbinder, Cobalt Kid and Invisible Brainiac were, they knew that they were outclassed.

“I couldn’t have put it better myself, Cobalt Kid,” came a familiar female voice from the dais. The shadow covering the throne on the left dissipated, revealing a middle-aged woman dressed in a flowing black gown. Dark jewels adorned her neck and ears, and her graying hair was pulled up into an ornate tiara.

“The Shadow Queen,” Crujectra said evenly, trying to send out a telepathic call to her brother. She found herself blocked by Saturn Girl. “You look better than the last time we met, dear. Did you have some work done?”

“Sweetie,” Cobalt Kid said out of the corner of his mouth. “Try not to piss off the nice villain.”

“Dear Crujectra,” the Shadow Queen said in a condescending tone. “Still as feisty as ever, I see. Such a shame that I’m going to have to kill you.”

--------------------

Spellbinder
Founder

Part Thirteen:

“I have to admit, Your Majesty, that I wasn’t entirely certain that you were behind all this,” Spellbinder said, clearly stalling for time until one of them could figure out some form of plan that wouldn’t result in one or all of them ending up dead or captured. “I mean, the whole shadow thing was a pretty big clue, but these aren’t like your old shadows. Something new that you picked up at psychobitch.com?”

The Shadow Queen’s smile was devoid of humor. “I’m glad you appreciate my new pets, Your Highness. I have to admit, though, that I am not responsible for them. You see, they were a wedding gift.” She reached out a hand to the throne beside her, and it was grasped by another hand reaching out of the darkness.

“Wish I had known you were getting married, Your Majesty. I would have sent a blender or a guillotine or something. It’s so hard to shop for the Queen who has everything.”

“Well, I certainly have everything now, dear. I have Legion World at my mercy. I have my wonderful new shadow servants. I will soon have my revenge upon you. And, of course, I now have my King.”

The shadows engulfing the second throne pulled back to reveal a powerful looking man seated beside her. He was regally attired in richly colored robes, and a crown sat atop his head. Wherever there should be skin, however, there was darkness. Deep, black nothingness. It was as though he was shadow himself. They made a cute couple.

“Let me guess,” Cobalt Kid said. “You must be the Shadow King.”

When he spoke, it was like thunder rolling through the room. “That is the name that I have given myself in this realm.”

“So, this would be the part where you monologue,” Spellbinder said. “Where did you crazy kids meet? Online dating service? Super-villain convention? Grocery store?”

“Oddly enough,” the Shadow Queen began, “I have the Time Mouse Trapper to thank for my good fortune.

“You see, when the Trapper used his machine to try and harness the energies of the Entropy Spinach, he weakened the fabric of reality. When the Entropy Spinach sent me back to where I was before I had joined forces with the Trapper, I tried to once again tap into the universe where my beloved shadow beings lived. While I failed in that attempt, what I was able to contact was so very much more powerful.

“I contacted my King, and between the two of us we were able to open a portal between his realm and this one. We decided to join forces and take over this universe, merging my magical powers and his ability to create shadow beings capable of possessing other beings.

“I knew that in order to achieve my goals I would need to plan carefully. Twice now I have seen defeat at the hands of you and your LMBP. I knew that in order to succeed I would need to take the two of you out of the picture. So, when I learned that you had left Legion World to travel to Epstalla VII, I set my plan in motion. I sent a ship carrying a platoon of shadow beings to the planet. Once there, they took control of a number of the scorpion creatures that live there. They were to attack your Outpost, and if not kill you then at least strand you on that barren world.

“Meanwhile, my King and I traveled to Legion World. It was ridiculously easy to take over the Legion World Council, but the next part of the plan proved a bit trickier. I knew that I would need to take out Saturn Girl next, but I had not counted on the strength of her telepathic powers. She was almost able to summon assistance when we attacked her. It took three shadows to hold her.”

Spellbinder tentatively probed the possessed telepath. She could indeed sense four minds struggling for control within the body of Saturn Girl.

“Once Saturn Girl was under my control, I began overtaking the minds of every Legionnaire on the planet. With some of the most powerful Legionnaires under my control, I attacked the Office of Security. And once I had command of Legion World Security, my success seemed assured.

“But once again you proved to be a bigger nuisance than I anticipated. Not only did you survive my scorpion attack, you also found a way off the planet.” As she continued, the volume of her voice began to increase. “And then you began to make your way back to Legion World, so I sent two of the most powerful members of the LMBP to stop you. And you managed to escape. And I have been following you all over this planet, throwing attack after attack at you. And still you continue to thwart me.

“Why will you not die?” she shouted.

Spellbinder began to marshal her will. “Because…”

Cobalt Kid, sensing what she was doing, began to pull at the magnetic fields around him. “We…”

Invisible Brainiac began to glow as he began to build up his power in preparation of striking out. “Are…”

Several voices shouted out at once from behind the trio. “LEGION!”

Loser Lad, Crusader, Maxx, Caliente, Arachne, Disaster Boy, Vee, Fat Cramer, Lightning Lad, Beagle Boy and MightyFanBoyMan charged into the room, moving to flank Spellbinder, Cobalt Kid and Invisible Brainiac. Cobalt Kid grinned in anticipation. “Long Live the LMBP!” he yelled as the Legionnaires surged forward.

Pagan Lass raised her arms upward, her mouth forming the words of an ancient incantation. Loser Lad extended an arm toward her, and she faltered, the words of the spell seeming to stumble around her memory, dancing just out of her grasp. Fat Cramer and Arachne leaped upon her, pushing her to the ground.

Future moved forward, time bending around him as he appeared to move at super-speed across the room. He saw Beagle Boy moving toward him at truly superhuman speed, and he swerved to avoid him. He was forced to swerve again as Invisible Brainiac fired multiple laser blasts at him, his light powers enabling him to also move at greater than normal speeds. Suddenly Beagle Boy was upon him, his swinging fists little more than a blur.

Rockhopper Lad hurled shafts of ice across the room, seeking to impale the heroes. The ice shafts were repelled by Lightning Lad, who blasted them apart with bolts of lightning. Disaster Boy crouched low to the ground, one hand reaching toward the floor. Suddenly the room began to shake as the floor began to crack. The crack became a fissure as it reached across the distance between Disaster Boy and Rockhopper Lad. The shadow held hero was flung backward as the floor exploded upward.

MightyFanBoyMan grew to twenty-five feet tall as he moved forward toward the BoyWithUltraPowers. Ultra Matt took to the air and began to race toward the giant. MightyFanBoyMan swung outward with his fist, and Ultra Matt switched to invulnerability to take the blow. The punch sent Ultra Matt flying backward toward Vee. At Vee’s command, the Emerald Eye of Ekron flared, and green energy pulsed forth to engulf the hero.

Maxx stood silently, regarding Kid Marvel as he leaped into the air and began to fly toward him. He wondered if he would be able to pull this off. Although it wasn’t a spell, it was magical in nature, and therefore should work. Summoning his strength, he reached. Suddenly, a magical lightning bolt struck down from out of nowhere, engulfing Kid Marvel in its power. He screamed out as the magical lightning of Shazam initiated the change, and within seconds instead of Kid Marvel, there was only the human Joe Harvestar and one disoriented, and disembodied, shadow being.

Crusader and Spellbinder advanced on Saturn Girl, determination on their faces. The royal twins joined hands and minds as together they lashed out. A telekinetic surge pushed Saturn Girl back against the wall and held her in place. The twins grit their teeth as together they invaded Saturn Girl’s mind, attacking the three shadow beings residing there. They could not help but be impressed by the strength of Saturn Girl’s power: she was nearly overpowering the shadow beings by herself. With the twins to back her up, if was practically child’s play to force the shadow beings to flee from her and shoot back to their master.

Caliente, Cobalt Kid and Invisible Brainiac advanced on the Shadow King and Shadow Queen. Caliente’s body flared in a blaze of fiery glory, and Invisible Brainiac pulsed with light as the two attacked. The Shadow King shrank back from the attack, while the Queen stepped forward, erecting a shield around the dais to repel Caliente’s flames. Cobalt Kid, who was disarming the shadow held security guards, watched the scene with interest, a plan forming in his mind.

The last of the security guards now weaponless, Cobalt Kid reached out through the rapport he shared with Spellbinder. The princess glanced his way and nodded once. Casting out telepathic lines, she drew Loser Lad, Caliente, Invisible Brainiac, Maxx and Crusader into a telepathic conference call. The heroes communicated while they battled their teammates, hammering out the details of Cobalt Kid’s plan. It was a long shot, but they agreed that it was worth a try.

Maxx dove past Loser Lad, his hand sinking into Pagan Lass’ chest. He pulled the shadow free and released it: destroying it would take power that he could not spare. Meanwhile, Caliente and Invisible Brainiac renewed their attack upon the King and Queen, both to keep them busy and to keep them distracted. After a hasty conversation with Maxx, Pagan Lass and the sorcerer moved forward to stand before Cobalt Kid and Crusader, Loser Lad following closely behind them. Loser Lad stood off to one side and began to gather the Loser Force. Cobalt Kid reached out his hands to place them against Pagan Lass’ waist, while Crusader similarly grabbed hold of his husband. The two mystics began gathering their magical might.

“SHAZAM!”

With a crack of thunder and a bolt of lightning, Kid Marvel rejoined the battle, hammering the Shadow Queen’s shield with the strength of Hercules. Meanwhile, Saturn Girl, Spellbinder and Crusader moved forward together, using their combined telepathic might to free the remaining shadow held Legionnaires.

Maxx began to form a Gate, using the entrance to the conference room as his anchor. Pagan Lass followed his lead, adding her own magic to the spell. Typically two mages were not able to build a Gate together, for perfect harmony was required for the spell to be cast safely. However, Maxx and Pagan Lass had worked together before, and their magic combined flawlessly.

Crusader pushed his strength through the soul-link, adding to Maxx’s power. Cobalt Kid used his healing powers to give added strength to Pagan Lass. It would add to the range of the Gate, but it wouldn’t be nearly enough. To build the Gate to their desired location, they would truly need a miracle.

Luckily for them, Loser Lad was a miracle worker.

The Loser Force raged forward, engulfing the two mages in its power. The possibilities realigned themselves, and the impossible became certainty. The Gate began to form, and through it they could see the barren landscape of Epstalla VII coming into focus. The five heroes had achieved something that no one had ever before accomplished: they had formed a Gate from one end of the United Planets to the other.

Cobalt Kid screamed out. “Crujectra! It’s now or never!”

Summoning every ounce of strength at her disposal, the Princess of Psyonia reached out, and waves of telekinetic force pulsed across the conference room. With a groan of metal, the dais lifted from the floor. Suddenly, Kid Marvel and the BoyWithUltraPowers slammed into the side of the dais, propelling it forward. With their powers working together, the three heroes hurled the huge dais, including the thrones and villains, across the room and through the Gate.

Maxx and Pagan Lass pulled the Gate closed as quickly as possible, reabsorbing their power and sealing off any chance the villains had of passing back to Legion World. Maxx, Pagan Lass, Crusader, Loser Lad and Cobalt Kid all fell to the floor, exhausted. Cobalt Kid wearily looked around the room. The shadow held Legionnaires appeared to have all been freed, leaving only the security guard captive.

Spellbinder wrapped her arms around him and pulled him back against her. “You know, there are moments when you are pretty darned impressive,” she murmured into his ear.

He grinned up at her wearily. “You just give me some time to catch my breath, Crujeckie. Then I’ll show you something really impressive.”

The princess laughed and hugged him even tighter.

--------------------

Spellbinder
Founder

Part Fourteen: Epilogue

Pacifica Prime: Situated on the outer rim of the United Planets, Pacifica Prime is the only planet in the Pacifica System. The planet is made up on ninety percent water, and has a stable tropical climate year round. It was for this reason that settlers here turned the planet into the United Planets most famous resort locations.

Loser Lad leaned back in his beach chair, arms behind his head and sunglasses in place. The sun beating down on him kept him warm as cool breezes blew in off the ocean. He dug his toes a little deeper in the sand and smiled contentedly. Hidden behind his sunglasses, his eyes looked from side to side, watching appreciatively as numerous bikini clad women of indeterminate races walked along the beach, many of them turning to give him a slow once over as they passed by.

“Now that’s what I’m talking about,” he said quietly, the smile on his face getting bigger.

“Loser dear, you might want to wipe the drool off your face if you want to attract one of those buxom vacationers,” Princess Crujectra said, her hand tracing a path across his shoulders as she passed behind him. She took the chair beside him and shrugged out of her shirt to reveal a scandalously small bikini. Her long blond hair was pulled up into a ponytail, and her cool blue eyes twinkled at him over her sunglasses.

“That drool is all because of you, Crujeckie.”

“She laughed. “Flatterer.”

Cobalt Kid stood behind her chair and leaned in close, a tube of suntan lotion in his hand. “I should probably put some more of this on you, Crujeckie. You know, for your own protection.”

Crujectra looked up at him and shook her head. “Cobie, if you put much more of that lotion on I’m going to start reflecting the sunlight like a mirror.” Seeing the disappointed look on his face, she sighed. “Fine. Go ahead. But don’t complain if you start seeing spots when you look at me.” She laughed as he grinned at her and began pouring lotion into his palm.

It had been two weeks since their battle against the Shadow Queen. It had taken nearly a week to track down all of the shadow held on Legion World, but now they were all freed. Things were slowly getting back to normal as all of the damage had been undone. The Science Police had been dispatched to Epstalla VII, and the Shadow King and Shadow Queen were now being held in suspended animation custody until the authorities could decide what to do with them.

Once order had been restored to Legion World, Spellbinder, Cobalt Kid and Loser Lad had decided to resume their vacation, although this time they chose a much less volatile environment. The worst thing they faced now was sunburn and too much fun, which was just fine with them. Crujectra looked out into the water, where she saw Crusader and Maxx windsurfing. She was glad that they had agreed to come along.

Cobalt Kid leaned in close and whispered into her ear. “You know, I never did get around to showing you something really impressive.” His voice practically dripped with innuendo.

“Now you tell me, after you got me all slippery with suntan lotion?” she said, looking up at him over the top of her glasses.

“Believe me, Princess, that is not going to be an issue.” He leaned in closer and gave her a passionate kiss.

The End

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.