Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Shadow Held: An LMBP OneVision (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Shadow Held: An LMBP OneVision
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Here is the PDF version for anyone who is interested:

Shadow Held

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Some thoughts:

- Your descriptions of various planets, natives, bars, pilots, etc. are so much fun to read! You really get into exploring that this is a whole universe of characters and stories!
- I love how you convey the sense of friendship the characters have with one another. The camaraderie (after being teammates for years) just shines through so well.
- Love how you opened chapter nine in the same way as chapter one.
- You really conveyed how dangerous Vee and Ultra Matt could be. The power they have between the two of them is no joke!
- Fred, the Cobalt Cruiser! [LOL] I love it!
- I love your use of the Office of Security. The ‘power reboot’ scene was kewl! And the use of Cobalt’s gadgets was cool and humorous at the same time.
- I like the introduction of Arana, the LMB robot receptionist.
- The dialogue with the Shadow Queen was perfect. It was totally ‘LMB’.

The best part of all though for me is reading Cobie and Crujeckie’s relationship. The two characters just work so well together! Its really a lot of fun reading their tales and you have the best handle on them out of everyone!

After thinking about it ,this reminded of two great Legion stories: the Silver Age Universo story where he takes over the United Planets and the Legionnaires are on the run, and Legion of the Damned—both great stories! I think this story ranks right up there with them!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, the Tanya Huff book "Smoke and Shadows" was where I got the idea of shadow possession, and that played so well into the next step for the Shadow Queen. And Universo Project was one of my favorite LSH arcs, and there was definitely an influence from that on this story. I've always enjoyed the "friend against friend" stories. And with this, it wasn't so much who was more powerful as who knows more about their adversary. While Crujectra is weaker than Ultra Matt, for instance, knowing how his powers work enabled her to work out a way to slow him down.

It was really a fun story to write, but I did feel at times that it was too dialogue heavy, and I felt that I should somehow be adding more description into the scenes to give a better idea of what was going on. I did use dialogue to do that to some extent, but I was afraid that the story would grow too large if I started getting too descriptive.

And I try to make everyone powerful in their own way, but at the same time set limits to keep them in check. Maxx has the potential to be an extremely powerful character, but I purposefully limited him so that he would still be managable, like in having him not be able to Gate to just anywhere he wanted in the galaxy. Same with Crujectra and Crusader. Sure, they can use their poweres to fly, so long as the have something to use their powers against to keep them aloft. You'll never see the twins flying through space under their own power, because I choose to give them realistic limits on how their powers work.

It definitely keeps it fun to write that way [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.