Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Online Creative Support (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Online Creative Support
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I am impressed by this very dialogue.

it is all too easy to get wrapped up in ones own little world of triumphs and setbacks.

always remember... any effort, any set towards creativity is in and of itself an accomplishment. The self-censor is the hardest obstacle of all.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[drift] Behold, Fans: The once-secret wellspring of Kent's inspiration [/drift]

[Eek!] It all makes sense now... [Eek!]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Another gem for writers:

Eleven Rules of Writing

[groan] They know all my major weak spots.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, I suck at the rules about commas (and parenthetical asides in the middle of sentences, obviously).

I loathe passive voice. It's so common in today's media. 'Mistakes were made, but we aren't gonna name names, 'cause that would be rude to say that Bob Robertson of 14 West Palermo Drive was the one that cost the company 500 million dollars on that Ponzi scheme.'

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Set:

[LOL]

I have a love-hate relationship with the passive voice. Exceeded only by my love-hate relationship with slash.

[gets out six-pack to cry into]

--------------------

Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
What? You'd think a GnR fan would be happy. Don't they have a new CD out?

As for those eleven rules, if I followed the last one I'd never write anything at all.

..and I have a copy of an even worse movie: Batman vs Star Trek. Awesomely cheesy.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Yk, I hate it when the men have longer, more lustrous hair than I do. Or something.

[Wink]

Y'know, there's also a Batman musical where The Joker tries to pick up Alfred on Facebook. Now that's entertainment!

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

quote:
Originally posted by cleome:
[drift] Behold, Fans: The once-secret wellspring of Kent's inspiration [/drift]

[Eek!] It all makes sense now... [Eek!]

Cleo... you were NOT supposed to tell!

so much for the surprise ending of Legion of Camelot now...

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Dude, next time I lend you fifty cents for a Powerball ticket and you win, don't renege on giving me my half of the spoils. I'm just sayin'...

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Poweball ticket!?

I bought a Power Girl ticket... I really didn't think you'd swing that way to get your half of the spoils.

cleome46

Sorry. My swing is in the shop being repainted. Or something.

Hey, now. This article is full of fantastic advice. Am I the only fanfic writer left on the net who has yet to craft a threesome featuring two characters from different universes doing unspeakable things to/with a toaster oven?

Just wondering.

[ April 16, 2009, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: cleome ]

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

heh.

I was in a writer's group a few years back, and we generally had an excellent ensemble... but one time this one woman showed up reading something really bad, something that aspired to be a trashy romance novel but wasn't good enough to be even that. She wasn't invited back. Those rules reminded me of that woman's story, although it wasn't fanfic (at least, not of pre-existing characters. maybe fanfic of romance novel stereotypical characters).

in my view, "bad" and "fanfic" don't have to go hand-in-hand. look at all the bad poetry almost anyone ages 15-20 writes.

it takes trial and effort to write well, of course, but it also takes criticism - of self and others. Enthusiasm alone does not replace craft/skill... look at the vast majority of Christian rock.

keep at it, folks. practice, practice, practice. Don't be discouraged by less-than-gushing feedback, but do heed it and learn from it. See it as a challenge, not a barrier.

cleome46

Oy. Romance novels. I used to have an HM who wanted to make money writing those things. She bought all the manuals and a huge stack of the books themselves. Lord help me, I would actually read some of the damn things to shut my brains off after a hard day's work, because I was on swingshift at work; unlike every last one of my friends. This was before anyone outside the military had ever heard of the internets, so socializing was pretty much out of the question.

Anyway, in accordance with Sturgeon's Theory, I did eventually stumble upon some tiny fraction of these books that were not total crap. Oh, they still had all the expected tropes: sex every thirty pages. Good girl + Bad man. Nice guy who hangs around for awhile as a place-marker and then gets killed so the now Saved By Love Bad Man can come back. Everyone's royalty because that's what we all wanna' read about. Etc.

The saving graces of the books that weren't total crap had to do with the overall quality of the writing. Somebody putting their back into the historical research instead of just talking about gowns and jewels ad nauseum. The occasional acknowledgment that there were some people around that worked with their hands, and maybe they had lives, too. Even --gasp!-- some perfectly nice people not attracted to the opposite sex or, --double gasp!-- not interested in sex at all. A sense of realism as to how people age (and occasionally mature) and how it changes their outlook on love/sex and blah blah blah.

So, yeah, it can be done. Whether or not it can be done profitably by even occasionally slipping nourishment into the candy dish (as a scant few romance authors do) is a whole 'nother issue. At least with fanfic, the profit motive is eliminated and you don't have to give a flying rat's ass about that part.

--------------------

cleome46

Here's another good one via Bartleby:

The Columbia Guide To Standard American English.

For instance, I was reminded today that it's actually okay to interchange "toward" and "towards." Also "franticly" and "frantically," no matter what your spell-checker says. So I felt a little less inept. That's always nice.

Also, I've started perusing some of the fic-watch boards on LJ, but I'm not sure if I'll start linking to them or not. The how-not-to-write-about-sex one, for instance, kind of broke my brain on Saturday. I'm still recovering.

[Gasp]

--------------------

Snakeguru Lass
Applicant Superhero

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snakeguru Lass   Author's Homepage   Email Snakeguru Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
I consider myself a decent writer but i always welcome links and tips to become even better.

I have seen so many stories with tons of grammar and spelling errors and they vary so much in degree.
Spellcheck functions are ok but often sort of blind to some errors, so a manual spellcheck
after that is often advisable and it's also good to have a beta reader or two.

[ April 21, 2009, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Snakeguru Lass ]

--------------------
Carpe Noctem

From: Europe, Sweden | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.