Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Online Creative Support (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Online Creative Support
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
SL, I think your English is better than mine. I rarely if ever notice any typos when I'm reading your work.

On a vaguely related note for you fellow/sister FF.net masochists, I just recently noticed that they no longer allow you to use HTML. Also that I can no longer go back and nitpick the HTML I've already uploaded without completely messing up all of the formatting when I hit "save."

Please pretend not to notice me standing in the corner having a nice half-hour scream.

[AHHHH!!!!] [totaling half an hour]

Thank You.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Snakeguru Lass:
Spellcheck functions are ok but often sort of blind to some errors, so a manual spellcheck
after that is often advisable and it's also good to have a beta reader or two.

A beta reader is indispensible. If you were easily able to see the mistakes you made in your writing, you wouldn't have made them, would you? My own mistakes are practically invisible to me, and I sometimes go back and re-read something for a fourth or fifth time (Yeah, I like my own writing. I'm weird.) and spot some completely lame typo or sentence fragment that makes me want to scream, knowing it's been like that for *years* without my having noticed it before!
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snakeguru Lass
Applicant Superhero

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snakeguru Lass   Author's Homepage   Email Snakeguru Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks Cleome. Really? I hadn't noticed that yet on ff.net. *cringes*

I have had a beta reader for 2-3 of my stories and the rest of my stories i check a few extra times.

Set said:

"A beta reader is indispensible. If you were easily able to see the mistakes you made in your writing, you wouldn't have made them, would you? My own mistakes are practically invisible to me, and I sometimes go back and re-read something for a fourth or fifth time"

I agree and i pretty much do the same. I check all my stories a few times (even those i'm going to send to a beta reader.)

--------------------
Carpe Noctem

From: Europe, Sweden | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
My trouble is that I get caught up in trying to get a whole story worked out on screen before the inspiration slips away. Then I forget that a beta would be really helpful until it's too late. Actually somebody did look over the first few chapters of the story I'm working on now, but I'm embarrassed to ask somebody to adopt a piece that ends up running 10-12 chapters. I need to start with little things and work my way up.

:/

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
I like writing little short snippets. Small scenes that get connected by the little stuff. No matter what I always seem to get caught up in the small personal stories.

http://theuniqueadventuresofthelmb.blogspot.com/

New stuff. Short but sassy. [Big Grin]

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Yk: [LOL]

You should work up a Facebook for the entire group, too. Oh, and some fake Twitter exchanges. That seems to be all the rage amongst the young fic-types nowadays.

[gets box scores and pitcher of lemonade. goes out to rocking chair on front porch.]

Say... that group shot looks... familiar somehow...

[Big Grin]

--------------------

cleome46

Swiped Lewis Shiner's Turkey City Lexicon from somebody on LJ. Thought it might be of interest, though it's written primarily for SF prose writers.

I encourage people to argue with me, because that's what makes life interesting. [Big Grin] However, I personally find some of the sandtraps (turkey traps?) described in here to be iron-clad no-nos for anyone. Such as:

quote:
Brand Name Fever

Use of brand name alone, without accompanying visual detail, to create false verisimilitude. You can stock a future with Hondas and Sonys and IBM's and still have no idea with it looks like.

Never liked that myself. I suppose you can get away with it if you're Ian Fleming or one of his wannabees, though.

OTOH:

quote:
"As You Know Bob"

The most pernicious form of Info Dump. In which the characters tell each other things they already know, for the sake of getting the reader up to speed.

This is pretty tough to avoid, at least once in a while. At least, if you're like me. Then you're trying to write a fic in which something actually happens, without the fic in question running for 500 chapters. I think it may be a necessary evil in some cases. YMMV.

--------------------

cleome46

I wish this link weren't helpful, but it could be. They seem to have had a fairly busy 2009, and I know that Sarcasm Kid has mentioned that plagiarism is a frequent issue over at Deviant Art, as well.

stop_plagiarism at LJ.

Hey, better forewarned/forearmed and all that, right?

--------------------

Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It's not just fanfic. There was quite a fuss over some kid putting up a puppy photo that wasn't theirs. It got thousands of favs before someone realized it was stolen. [No] But you can see why it was so popular. (That's a ligit source, near as I can tell. It's the first pic.)

I was thinking about starting a thread like this for art. Does anyone know a good source for art tutorials? Manga Revolution was my favourite, but it's been shut down. DeviantART has a tutorial section, but it's kind of hard to find the good stuff there.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Whoa. Those pics make me think of the "Hoojibs" from the original Star Wars comics. I'm not sure whether that's good or bad.

I'd read that art thread, Arachne. I'm a terrible neo-Luddite when it comes to computer art, but that's more due to cowardice than hostility. Of course, if you'd rather piggyback on this thread, I think that'd be cool, too. It's all "creative," right? I could alter the thread title as necessary.

[Poke Joke]

--------------------

Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Whoa... I did start that thread? LOL I totally forgot. I'll have to bump it when I get a bit of time.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Oy. Some of you fanfic writers and fan artists might end up morbidly fascinated with The Continuing Adventures of Keith Mander, would-be fanfic profiteer.

I know I've been fascinated, in a disgusted/rage-y sort of way.

In a nutshell: some jerk decided that he could make a bundle buying up already existing fanfic archives and loading them up with ad space. This way: he could profit off work that fans do for free without having to reimburse them, AND he could simultaneously piss off entities like Tolkien estate and the people who publish Twilight, possibly landing a lot of fans who haven't done anything wrong in a whole mess of trouble.

My advice would be: if you see this creep's name anywhere on a site you're using, run like hell and take your stories with you.

This, as the cliche' goes, is why fandom Can't Have Nice Things.

[Mad]

--------------------

cleome46

[Bump]

While tooling around some LJ fansites (much, much) earlier this year, I got an invite to a newer site for posting fanfic called An Archive Of Our Own, or AO3 for short.

Procrastinator that I am, it's only in the last couple of weeks that I've begun backing up my fanfic over there. I shouldn't have waited so long to dive in. It's a very user-friendly site. You can even use the Document Manager at Fanfiction.net to copy and re-post your stories on AO3.

Usage of the site is free, but you have to have an invite at this time to set up an account. I have one available at the moment, so if anyone's interested, let me know.

Their FAQ is here, if you're interested in learning more.

[ November 09, 2011, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: cleome45 ]

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
This thread is good stuff. I already know that fanfic writing, or any sort of writing, requires thought and rereads. However, the tips here can cut down on the time needed for that.

Thanks [Wink]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

IB, you should put in some links and tips of your own, if you want.

Also, since I wrote the previous post about AO3, they've updated their main page. You can now request an invite of your own, if you want. I hope more fan writers here will consider it, because Legion stuff in particular needs more love over there. (And their general DCU section is still growing, so there's that, too.)

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.