Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » LMB Onevision: The Gold Watch (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: LMB Onevision: The Gold Watch
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Lloyds of London, London, Earth

Princess Crujectra of Psyonia, the LMBer known as Spellbinder, walked through the ancient halls of Lloyds of London with great awe. It was over 1,300 years old and in these very corridors, where the concept of insurance really took hold. After all these centuries, Lloyds of London remained the insurance center of the galaxies and it was something the underwriting syndicates there felt a great deal of pride.

“I’m quite impressed gentlemen,” she said to them with a smile and they all immediately broke into smiles. These were men who respected prestige and high breeding and to have a Princess walk these halls was a great honor.

“Your Highness,” one of the brokers said, “you do us a great honor to visit and we are pleased to show you the history within the halls. We’ve prepared a luncheon with the top underwriting syndicates and if you had the time in your busy schedule, we would be honored if you joined us.”

“The honor would be all mine,” she said, and again, they gushed with pride.

----------------------

At the luncheon, numerous tables were spread out as dozens of important London men and women enjoyed the company of the Princess of Psyonia. For any visit of someone of this stature there would be quite a buzz, but this was especially exceptional since in recent years, Lloyds did not get many visits from denizens beyond Earth.

Crujetra looked at a portrait on the wall, of a Queen many centuries earlier addressing the Lloyds underwriters in this very room. She was Queen Elizabeth II of England, and it was 1,100 years earlier. Just as they did then, she knew they were all watching her every move with great delight. She knew she had them before she set foot in the premises.

“Gentlmen,” she said, last, pushing away her soup, “I know it may be a bit improper to discuss business matters at lunch, but there is something I want to talk to you about. That is, if you do not object?”

“By all means, your majesty,” said one of the top underwriters, “we would be delighted. Your fierce intellect is the second most renowned thing about you and we are all eager to engage it!” She looked at him curiously as if to ask and the first?. “Beyond your beauty, that is,” he added charmingly.

“Very bold, sir,” she said with a smile, “and very effective,” she added, charming him even more. “What I would like to discuss, actually,” she said, now pausing for dramatic purposes, “…is Earthgov.”

Immediately, every person in the room stopped speaking and the sound of forks and knives hitting plates ceased. One could hear a pin drop.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The Gold Capital Holdings Headquarters
Metropolis, Earth

Cornelius Ricimer looked out the window at the landscape of Metropolis again taking in the view. He knew the prisoner Cobalt Kid was down below but did not feel like being bothered with it just now. He checked his monitors again to see what the price of gold was doing in today’s market. Ah, to have lived in the centuries when gold was something people desired. Now that was real trading!

“Sir,” said his omni-com.

He waited a minute before responding, drawing it out. The voice did not repeat itself. At last he answered. “What is it?” he said, annoyed to be bothered.

“Sir,” it repeated, “there is a report here sent up by one of your many analysts. It looks like something you should see.”

“What?” he said suddenly incredibly annoyed. “All reports are to be sent to Elena! What in the world was this analyst doing sending it directly to me?! Who sent it?!! Who would dare?! Find out who they are, right now, and I want their ass fired immediately!!!”

The voice was silent. “Sir, it came here because apparently its been sent to Ms. St. Clair numerous times and she has not acted on it. Dating back some…18 months, in fact. The analyst thought it should be sent to you. He’s right here outside your office.”

Ricimer’s face went dark red and he was beside himself with anger. “SEND HIM IN.” he said almost not controlling it.

The analyst came in, a short, portly man with large glasses who was shaking in his shoes at the sight of the most powerful man on Earth. He immediately regretted ever coming. Ricimer reamed him out for close to twenty minutes strait, even threatening to kill the man right there and throw him out the window.

At last, curiosity got the best of him, and Ricimer picked up the report to browse through it and see what all of this was about. As he read the first page, he started to flip through, looking at charts and graphs. At last, the gist of it sank in and while he was reading, Cornelius had no idea he dropped his lit cigar onto the lavishly expensive carpet in his office, ruining it. His mouth opened wide and his face went into shock.

He tried to speak but the words wouldn’t come. He felt his body tensing up and he thought he was about to have a heart attack right there. At last, he forced himself to regain his composure—after all, though he had gotten sloppy in his successes, he was once the most cunning of all the corporate men on Earth. He felt a bead of sweat on his forehead and his heart was racing. But he was processing what was happening.

“How in the world has this happened?” he said at last. He knew he had mere hours to fix this or everything he worked for could be destroyed.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Ram Boy’s Office
Legion World

Ram Boy sat as his desk, watching as Lolita Hypatia reformatted his omni-screen, adding her own portable omni-screen to its side so the two could provide a backdrop for whatever she was about to tell him. There was a silent determination to ever effort and he couldn’t help but admire the focus.

Since his call with the Prime Minister early that morning, his anger had since subsided quite a bit. It was now replaced by both a strong curiosity as well as a belief that it was his responsibility as LMB Leader to know these things.

Once Lolita had decided earlier to tell Ram Boy the truth—and the whole truth—she knew she would go all the way through with it. He had convinced her with his reasoning and being able to discuss it with him, a secret she had kept for so many years, felt very liberating. She felt stress she didn’t even know existed being relieved.

Ram Boy broke the silence: “so you explained to me earlier how Earth was taken over by Corporations in the first place, which pretty tough to understand. If you need this much technology to explain the rest…” he inhaled, “…oh boy…”

“It’s complex, there’s no doubt,” she said. “To keep it all strait, its not enough that I tell you—I have to show you. Now look at the screen.”

Ram Boy looked at what she brought up on the duel omni-screens. There were several names, of what looked like companies, and then several figures, both percentages and dollar amounts. “What am I looking at?” he asked.

“That, Mr. Leader, is Earthgov,” she replied. “You’re looking at Earth. Or more precisely, the Corporations that now control Earthgov.” They looked a t the screens, which read:

35%...Google-Facebook
15%...MediaCorp
15%...General Electric
10%...Massive Dynamic
10%...Terran Steel Corp
5%.....Steelworks
2.5%..Lloyds of London (various Syndicates)
7.5%..Other

“There are several additional owners within the ”Other” category but it won’t be necessary for me to further break them down,” she added. Ram Boy couldn’t help but stare at the screen, since he had never seen the ownership of Earthgov broken down like that.

“These Corporations run Earth,” she continued, “but you have to remember that these Corporations have their own ownership. And its in that notion, that we can help piece together who is really calling the shots. Here are some of the many holdings of Gold Capital Holdings, the most prestigious investment bank on Earth.” Ram Boy looked at the screen and a pattern developed quickly: Gold Capital Holdings owned major shares of each of the corporations. 10% of Massive Dynamic; 10% of Steelworks; 15% of MediaCorp; 15% of General Electric. The list went on and on. Many of the players within the “7.5% Other” category where almost wholly owned by Gold Capital.

But of all of these, the most alarming was Google-Facebook, which owned 35% of Earthgov. Gold Capital owned 51% of Google-Facebook, effectively making them chief owner of the company and effectively their parent company. “For Google-Facebook,” said Lolita, “Gold Capital took no chances. They firmly control that company and the implication is symbolized by the fact that Earthgov President Tayla Wellington is the President of Google-Facebook. And in both roles, she answers to Gold Capital Holdings.”

Ram Boy nodded. “So Gold Capital Holdings is the true enemy here…” he said, shaking his head, “…its weird to put a name to the enemy after all this time.” He sat back and turned to Lolita. “So that is where we are,” he said. “Now what does this have to do with Legion World?”

Lolita sat back now and thought about how to begin explaining. She decided to start with the motivations. “When the LMB first started,” she said, “before my time or yours, Earth was their home. And for many of them, it was their first true home. Of course, by ‘home’, it really was the LMB itself, the institution, that gave them this feeling, but its difficult for some of them to not also attribute a lot of that early comfort to Earth itself.”

Ram Boy nodded. “Lash Lad has already explained that to me, Lolita,” he said nicely, “and I understand. I get that Earth means a lot to them. Hell, it means a lot to most of the universe as the mother-planet.”

Lolita nodded. “When the Legion World Triumvirate first formed to combat the danger of the Naturals, they succeeded beyond their wildest imaginations. But even though they were successful and Legion World was safe, there was still so much awfulness in the universe. Barbarian Hordes had pushed so far into the UP and sacked so many planets. So the Triumvirs kept the armies and helped the UP turn the tide, eventually pushing back the Barbarians and restoring order.”

“This is common knowledge,” said Ram Boy, nodding.

“As you are also aware,” she said, “in their pursuits, they recovered innumerable valuables and immense fortunes. But so many of these fortunes were not able to be returned to their original owners. It was simply not feasible since so many had been murdered and so many families destroyed. So they were held in trust by the Triumvirate.”

Ram Boy nodded. He had already known a little of this but it was an awkward topic. Lolita continued. “Additionally, as you are aware,” she said, deciding to just say what she meant and move on, “war turns out to be very profitable sometimes. And in this case, it was no exception.” Ram Boy nodded, understanding.

“By the time the barbarians were pushed back fully, the Triumvirate had become incredibly wealthy individuals. They began trying to use those excess funds to help build the infrastructure of Legion World and in that regard, they were very successful. Roads, aqueducts, buildings, orphanages, playgrounds, and other more aesthetic structures such as statues were built all around Legion World. Legionnpolis, as we know it, is partially build on Triumvir currency.”

Ram Boy kept listening, not saying anything. All of this was common knowledge but he’d never heard it put so succinctly before.

“The Triumvirate needed to find new ways to direct their funds and therefore, they teamed up with the House of Jectra and the Spiffany family to create the Real-Estate Offices of Ester, Spiffany, Cobaltus, Jectra and Greybird and they then bought up all the available land for residential homebuilding on Legion World, with the intent to sell it to the populace. To build up those areas with homes, they used Eryk Davis Ester’s construction company, the Statues, Buildings, and Wondrous Architecture Construction Company; to help citizens finance their purchases of these homes and land, they pointed them to the First National Bank of Legion World, which had been created by Cobalt Kid and Spellbinder, using Triumvirate and House of Jectra fortunes. Do you understand what I’m getting at?”

Ram Boy’s face had turned into a half-frown with his eye brows creased. “So they enormous money, armies, the land, and the banks?” he said.

Lolita knew where this was going. “It caused a problem, to say the least. Claims of oligarchy were made and the Legion World Civil War almost brought down the entire planet. But ultimately war was averted and eventually the land was sold to Legion World citizens. But the end result, all these years later, is that the Triumvirate used all this massive wealth they had collected and essentially multiplied it 100 fold. When all was said and done, there was more money than they ever knew what to do with.”

“Explaining how Eryk Davis Ester bought Greg Evignan Island,” said Ram Boy and Lolita thought and how Cobie runs all those black ops.

“So eventually they set their eyes on bigger fish to fry, and created Triumvirate Holdings Company for their excess funds.” Ram Boy suddenly perked up. At last, they were getting somewhere. “It was just three shareholders, and Cobie was effectively Chairman of the Board. There was one employee: me,” she finished. Ram Boy realized now that he could not have picked a better person to talk to.

“Still, with even that immense wealth, they couldn’t accomplish what they wanted,” she said.

“Which was what?” said Ram Boy.

“I think you know,” she said. “They wanted Earth. Like I told you, the sting of Earth’s takeover and secession has never left them, and likely never will. It’s a betrayal they see as unforgivable.”

“Bloody liberty…” said Ram Boy, as she had put into words what he suspected all along but didn’t fully believe because it just sounded so ridiculous.

“So they gained additional investors, and formed The Odysseus Corporation, under the guise of an entrepreneurial entity looking to make investments into companies in need of capital. Again, there were no employees, save one: me.”

Ram Boy was looking at Lolita but felt like he was seeing her in a new light. For the first time, he was really seeing her. “This all must have taken years of planning to even set-up, let alone do whatever it is they are doing…”

“Indeed. It all began roughly after I joined Cobie here on Legion World in 3004 but picked up steam in 3005,” she said, not caring if he was shocked or appalled. When it came to the truth, she would not sugarcoat it.

“Who were the additional investors?” said Ram Boy seriously, though he knew he would not like the answer.

“The House of Jectra,” began Lolita, “The Spiffany family. Faraway Lad. Varalent. Iron Rat. Yellow Kid & the Primary Color Gang.” Lolita looked at Ram Boy seeing his face grow weary. “Don’t feel hurt by this,” she said, “this was all before your time. Some of us, mainly Cobalt’s friends who he felt had a personal stake in this, were given a small ownership of shares, like Lard Lad and myself, like my 1.5%.”

Ram Boy shook his head. “I think I understand. But now, you need to tell me where Cobalt is…and what is happening right now.”

Lolita nodded. “Beginning in 3007, the Odysseus Corp has initiated a program where it buys all Treasury Bonds issued by Earthgov. They did this by domiciling the company on Earth and then buying up several smaller investment firms to do this. It was a complicated web but I was able to make it seamless. From 3007 to the present, in 3011, the Odysseus Corp owns all of Earth’s debt. We’ve also bought the debt from other third parties.”

She continued. “The Odysseus Corp has also secretly bought 90% of MediaCorp, though at this time, the employees of the Company itself are unaware, since Gold Capital Holdings runs the Board.”

“But that means—“

“Yes, there are only two investors of MediaCorp now: Odyssues and Gold Capital. At the right moment, the Board will be voted out and MediaCorp will be taken. In the meantime, the rubbish they produce will continue but once its needed, the media will be utilized for our—well, their—purposes.”

“MediaCorp owns 15% of Earthgov,” Ram Boy said, remembering from earlier.

“Yes,” replied Lolita. She was silent for a moment. “You have to remember, I don’t work for Cobie anymore. So what I’ll next tell you is all speculation. But the truth is, I’m confident its true because I designed it, and I know Cobie has faith in my plans.”

“I can see why,” said Ram Boy.

“Check the monitor board for where various LMBers are today, including reservists. You will notice that Spellbinder has been on Earth for several days. If you check her itinerary, she is in the ancient city of London, no doubt visiting Lloyds of London today. Where I have no doubt with her diplomatic skills…and charm…she will convince them to join the Odysseus Corp.”

“How?” said Ram Boy, expecting to here about a hostile takeover of some sort.

“By giving them an opportunity,” she said. “You have to remember, Ram Boy, that not everyone on Earth, even those with wealth and power are happy. The irony of the takeover is that capitalism was used to essentially destroy capitalism, much like they used technology to destroy Earthgov, and we’re using it to restore it. By forcibly creating monopolies and eliminating all restraints, the Corporations have destroyed any sense of genuine capitalism. And without capitalism, Earth has lost all competition…and without that, its lost all its creativity. It’s made business a pretty boring, miserable life. Gold Capital claim they wanted business to be unimpeded but they truly wanted the power of controlling a planet and exploiting its citizenry. It was a lie they told themselves. But not all businessmen are evil. Some truly do believe in capitalism and democracy. And that’s what we’re banking on. That’s how Crujectra will get Lloyds of London and their 2.5% of Earthgov.”

Ram Boy nodded. “That’s nice to hear,” he said, “maybe a little optimistic, but I hope you’re right. So that’s 17.5% of Earthgov.”

“Correct. What Odysseus needs is 51% of greater. There is one fast way to get it.”

“Google-Facebook,” said Ram Boy solemnly. “He’s going for it, after all,” he added. As the conversation had gone on, he was thinking of it from Cobalt’s point of view and realized the danger of the move. “It’s too risky. After so much careful planning, why go for the one major play? Going after the most protected of them all?”

“Because…” said Lolita, “…I’m not with him. And without anyone to curb his willingness to force dangerous situations, he tends to do this. He will be going for Goolge-Facebook. Of this I have no doubt.”

“He’ll only succeed with violence then,” said Ram Boy, shaking his head. “And die, get caught, or…”

“…or the Odysseus Corp will control Earthgov,” finished Lolita, saying what Ram Boy was thinking.

“Their taking over Earth then,” said Ram Boy. “And Prime Minister Maya adi Lva is in on it. Likely through Faraway Lad himself,” he finished.

“Naturally,” she said, “Faraway Lad is in on all of Cobalt’s plan. Of course the Prime Minister is on it—she has everything to gain. Earth is opened up to trade again and it will give a huge boost to the economy. And the mother-planet will at last rejoin the UP. That is, if Earth is taken over.”

“If they get Earth,” said Ram Boy, “what will Cobie do with it? Will the Triumvirs…keep it?”

“There are no Triumvirs, Ram Boy,” said Lolita, “Grey Birdboy and Eryk Davis Ester have retired. There is only Cobie now.”

Ram Boy didn’t like the sound of that. He put his fingers up to the bridge of his nose and rubbed them. “Lolita, what I’m about to ask you is the most important thing of all. And I pray you give me the answer I want to hear: if Cobalt is successful in taking over 52.5% of Earthgov…what does he intend to do about it? How do the common people benefit?”

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

INTERLUDE
Ten Years Ago: 3001
Earth

There were many inspirations to the Legion of Message Board Posters throughout history. Foremost of them all was the great hero of the 21st Century, the mighty Engine Joe. Protector of the weak & frail, purveyor of truth and justice, and an oasis of hope during a turbulent era, Engine Joe was the prime example of what a true hero was in history.

Though he inspired the Legion and was made an honorary member with its founding, he was not among its membership. However, towards the end of their first year, that finally changed when Engine Joe journeyed to the 31st Century and became a temporary member of the team, fighting alongside the institution he inspired as “the Son of the Eagle”. It was a turning point in the LMB, where they realized that no matter what, they must go on and be so much more than what they had been up until that point.

Cobalt Kid was not among the LMB when the Son of the Eagle first became a member. By the time of Cobalt’s return to the team, Engine Joe was gone, back to the 21st Century. Yet, he did return a few more times…

“You’re over-thinking it,” said the Son of the Eagle, suddenly using his heat vision to blast the hundreds of small metal ball-bearings. “It has to be instinct, as odd as that sounds.”

“No, I know,” said Cobalt Kid, trying to regain his composure. “Let’s try it again.”

Once more, a series of small metal ball-bearings were fired directly at the two heroes. They came at lightning like speed, each the size of a marble, all almost impossible to see. There were three colors: red, white and blue.

“The whites,” said Engine Joe. Cobalt concentrated and all of the whites were thrown to the right magnetically.

“Reds,” he added. Cobalt threw the reds to the left, as they were now within a few feet of them and approaching.

“Blues,” he said at last. Cobalt inhaled deeply and held them all, just inches from his face. Suddenly, one bounced forward, and dribbled to the floor.

“Very good,” said Engine Joe, holding it up. It was green. “Did you see it?”

“I figured there was some kind of trick,” Cobalt smiled, “it just took me a few tries to figure it out.”

Engine Joe smiled. He had come to really enjoy these trips to the 31st Century and enjoyed meeting all of the various LMBers. He had only just recently met this one, one of the youngest of them all, and often referred to as ‘our kid brother’.

“Are you sticking around much longer?” asked Cobalt. “I think we’re all going out tonight together. I wasn’t going to go, but…”

Engine Joe thought about it for a moment. He had intended to go home right after this. But the offer made him stop and think. Prior to this exercise, Joe had been told that Cobalt was one of the LMBers most full of life and the epitome of their hard partying reputation—yet, just after his return to the LMB, he had often been subject to bouts of depression. He would not speak about it, but every few days he would become sullen and melancholy. Something had happened during his absence, and they were worried.

“Absolutely,” he replied at last. “I want to see what the nightlife in the 31st Century is all about!”

“Wow, great!” said Cobalt, still a bit awe-struck by Engine Joe’s presence among their number. It had killed him when he learned about the Son of the Eagle first appearing, and then was beyond thrilled when Joe came back for several additional meetings. He knew it wouldn’t last forever and so being a part of any of these interactions meant a lot to him.

“Let me get changed,” said Joe and in a flash he flew out of the room, grabbed his civilan clothes which he’d brought along, changed, and then flew back. He now stood before him in a three piece suit, fedora cap and glasses.

In the 21st Century he looked like a bit of a stiff, but Cobalt had no idea. In fact, Cobalt focused on one item in particular. “What’s that?” he asked.

“This?” said Engine Joe pulling up his sleeve and revealing a beautiful gold watch. “This is a watch,” he said. “Don’t they still have these?”

“No on Ggrrgg or any of the other places I’ve spent a lot of time,” said Cobalt. “But to be honest, I’m still brushing up on Earth culture. I like it,” he added, nodding back to the watch. “Very fashionable,” he said, “and being practical gives it a little something extra.”

Engine Joe smiled at the earnestness of the young LMBer. “C’mon, let’s join the others.”

That night the LMBers had a fantastic night of laughs and partying, with a strong dose of drunken shenanigans. Engine Joe, not much of a partier, hung back with Crusader and Beagle Boy, and Cobalt Kid was glad to do so, because for the first time in weeks, he was truly having fun again. “Usually I just drink as much as I can, tell a few jokes and find the most beautiful woman in the club,” he said to Joe, laughing. “But maybe I should take another approach…” he said.

Engine Joe knew he was struggling. Part of it was simply just growing up, and part of it was overcoming whatever traumas he was dealing with. He considered something he thought about earlier. “Cobalt,” he said, “I wanted to give you something before I go back. Here.”

Engine Joe handed Cobalt Kid the gold watch he was wearing, a product of the 21st Century. To Joe, it did not have much meaning. From here on, to Cobalt, it would mean quite a lot—it was one of his most prized possessions.

------------------------

In 3003, Cobalt Kid was caught in a political bombing and was presumed dead by his Legion brethren; in truth, he lived, though a prisoner, held against his will for many years. During that time, Earth experienced a Corporate Takeover, and the LMB were exiled from Earth. By the time Cobalt returned to the LMB, the LMB were on Legion World, and Earth has seceded from the United Planets.

During the chaos of Earth’s takeover, most of the LMB were already off planet, dealing with the Barbarian Invasions and other grandiose missions. Those on planet were forced to flee, only able to grab a portion of the LMB’s possessions and belongings; of these, the most important things to take were the advanced technology and some of their historical records.

The personal effects of the various LMBers were lost. Among those were the personal effects of Cobalt Kid, then in storage while he was presumed deceased.

Several of the Board of the Directors, gloating over their coup, secured the LMBer’s personal effects for themselves, as part of a large plunder of prizes they considered the spoils of war. The effects of Cobalt Kid, along with many other LMBers possessions, found their way to Cornelius Ricimer. Ricimer often showed off this private gallery to his close colleagues, of all of these prizes, there were none he loved more than Cobalt’s prized Gold Watch.

END INTERLUDE

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Gold Capital Holdings Headquarters
Earth

He hung there, his arms tired to the seeing and his uniform in tatters, with blood dripping down his face, chest and back. Along the sides of his torso and along his arms and hands, there were horrific burn marks, where the torture was most brutal via the usage of an old fashioned blow torch. He was exhausted and he was in immense pain. But what he felt most of all was smug. Because he had endured hours of torture, hours of pain and hours of insults, yet he would not break.

Pillum had given it everything he had: at first sadistic, and eventually enraged. But ultimately with every possible condition in his favor, he still felt like he was being defeated. Pillum stared at Cobalt, equally as exhausted as his captive, and the two guards who earlier were careful Pillum did not overstep himself, now sat down at a table in the corner, both disgusted and disheartened by the ordeal.

Cobalt smiled at his tormentor. He did not say much these last hours but he made sure Pillum knew he was still there. “Let me give you a proposition now, Son of Ggrrgg,” he said through grit teeth. “Walk away now and leave the planet Earth as quickly as you can. Because much like the rest of known space, you will soon be wanted by the authorities here…and they will not be pleasant to you when they catch you.”

Cobalt’s words burned Pillum as harshly as the spearman’s blowtorch had done to Cobalt. “I swear, Cobaltus, you’re arrogance will be your undoing. I no longer care about profit and whatever Ricimer has to offer. All I want now is to feel your life slip away while I choke it out of you…” he began, walking over to him. He looked at the other two guards and just like he thought, they were no longer paying attention. “It ends now,” said Pillum, adding “goodbye, you—“

And suddenly, at long last help had arrived. Cobalt saw them, knowing full well Timberwolf was behind this, but when his eyes met their gaze, his heart swelled ten times larger. Before him stood the Rebel Message Board Posters!!!

Lost in Lust Lad! Dial H for Homo! JWB Boy! And front and center, their leader and once essential member of the LMB, Seahorse!

They burst through the wall with a blast and suddenly were all over the room. Mart (Dial H for Homo) and Terrene (Lost in Lust Lad) which each took out a guard. Pillum tried to regain his composure, running to the wall where his spears were, but Seahorse was on him in a moment. He pulled him back by the shoulder and landed a right hook across Pillum’s face. Pillum was down and before he could recover, Seahorse smiled widely and landed another, quickly knocking him out. Momentum was on their side.

JWB Boy ripped off Cobalt’s shackles. “Can’t believe its you guys…been quite awhile…” he smiled.

“Easy Cobie,” said JWB Boy, who had not seen Cobalt Kid since the year 3000, 11 years earlier. “We’re here now and you’re safe.”

“I’m fine,” he said, being freed, and starting to fall to the floor before he was caught by JWB Boy. “Better than fine actually…knowing its you guys who saved me. Timber—er, Furball?”

“Yup,” said Mart, walking over. “I’d like to say you look great, Cobie, but you know…” he said, trying to smile. The truth was they were all horrified by what they saw but it was clear Cobalt was in incredibly high spirits to see them and none of them wanted to risk losing that.

“Cobie,” said Seahorse, the leader of the RMB, “are you okay?” He was dead serious.

“I am now,” said Cobalt, hobbling over and hugging him. Seahorse was once as prominent in the LMB as Cobalt Kid, Lard Lad and Lash Lad. Losing him was a tough blow for the membership, and after so many of the older LMBers had found their way to Legion World over the years, it still hurt that Seahorse had not. They missed their friend.

After Earth’s secession from the United Planets and the LMB’s exile, a small group of LMBers elected to stay behind and fight among the resistance against the Corporations. For eight long years they had done so, eventually becoming the de facto leaders of the movement, which had now become known as the Rebel Message Board Posters.

“Guys,” said Cobalt. “I’m okay. My healing factor will kick in gradually and get me back to normal. He pushed pretty hard…but I wouldn’t break.” They looked at him with some pride, having known him so many years ago when he was the youngest of them all. “I had his measure pretty well.”

“C’mon,” said Seahorse, “you have a buddy waiting.” They quickly moved through the corridors, with the JWB Boy holding Cobalt while the others took out any of the mercenaries who were in eyesight.

“BBC,” said Cobalt, using an old nickname the early LMBers had for Seahorse, “I have some unfinished business to take care of.”

“I know,” said Seahorse, “we’re bringing you to Lon now.”

Cobalt had not been on Earth in over 8 years and he had not seen any of these LMBers during that time. But for many years now, he had secretly been funding the RMB. Seahorse was the only one who knew and so he also knew about Timberwolf, and about their upcoming plans.

“How’s the war?” smiled Cobalt, his legs beginning to heal now, so he could walk on his own.

“The same,” said Seahorse, “and if something doesn’t change very soon, I fear the opportunity to ever reclaim Earth will have passed.”

“We won’t let that happen,” said Cobalt.

“Up ahead!” said Terrence as they rushed forward and waiting for them at the corner was the LMBer known as Furball. They did not know in a janitorial closet not far away, the victims of Timberwolf’s counter-assault were piled as high as their waists.

“Rere Ri Ram!” said Furball in his faux-voice.

“You’ll be in safe hands,” said Seahorse. The others looked at Seahorse questioningly, previously unaware they were dropping Cobalt off.

Cobalt walked over to Furball, limping slightly. Furball handed him his signature trench coat, and a fresh shirt. He turned around suddenly and they could see genuine emotion on Cobalt’s face. After all that had happened today, the usually stoic Cobalt was feeling an onslaught of different things. “Guys,” he said to them all, pausing, “…thanks.” He nodded at them all. And then he added, “and we all miss you.”

They all smiled back. “Us too,” said Mart.

And then with silence overtaking them, Seahorse leaned forward and extended his hand, and Cobalt shook it. And their brief reunion was over.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Cobalt Kid and Furball now walked away, through the corridors of the Gold Capital Holdings headquarters. As they got farther from their allies, Furball gradually transformed back into Timberwolf.

Neither said anything. Both were determined and both were furious. When the transformation was complete, Cobalt looked at Timberwolf and nodded and Timberwolf nodded back. It said it all: thanks and you’re welcome. Between these two, the ledger was so full of saves that neither could keep track anymore.

“There they are!” said a voice, and two mercs suddenly ran at them. Within moments, Timberwolf was on them, ripping ones throat out with his claws and then snapping another’s neck.

“Mercs get no mercy,” he said. Cobalt nodded, agreeing.

They kept walking, now reaching a large middle section of the building, re-entering the lobby towards the elevators. “Up ahead,” said Timberwolf. Up ahead was at least a dozen mercenaries, all with weapons pointed at them.

Cobalt didn’t miss a stride as he stuck out his hands to either side and stared at the mercs. He used his magnetism with incredible speed and precision, clapping his hands together. Within that motion, every single one of the mercenaries was suddenly decapitated, their heads falling to the ground.

“I’m tired of fucking around,” said Cobalt.

Timberwolf walked to the elevator and pressed the button.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

In his office, Cornelius Ricimer stared out the window, smoking his cigar. He purposely was making his visitor wait, but it was difficult—for Ricimer was beyond furious.

Behind him stood Elena St. Clair, his number two in all things. Elena was not only Vice Chairman of Gold Capital Holdings, she was on the Board of Google-Facebook. In order for anyone to get access to Ricimer, they must first be screened by St. Clair.

And that was where Ricimer truly screwed up.

“How could you have been so utterly stupid?” said Ricimer in a slow voice, almost at a whisper. “You idiotic cow,” he added. “How could this have happened?”

Elena St. Clair said nothing, standing their silently. She was in full business regalia, hiding both her good looks as well as her friendly nature. She took the full brunt of Ricimer’s words.

“Some corporation has been buying up Earth’s Treasury Bonds…for years? How in the world was this not detected?!! And now, this same corporation owns MediaCorp?” He turned now, facing her. You idiot!!! You stupid moron! How could you let this happen?!

He moved very suddenly across the room and Elena took a step back, though she would not cringe. “I trusted that you were competent! I trusted you to handle this! What good are you?!!! HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?!!!”.

“To you, sir?” said Elena, emphasizing the phrase purposely.

“You smug bitch,” he said, raising his hand as if he’d slap her. “Of course to me! Haven’t you realized it yet? I am Earth! Earth is me! And as my number two you could have had almost anything! How could you have let this happen?!

“She didn’t,” said a voice, and Ricimer turned sharply at the sudden intrusion as Elena breathed a sigh of relief. At the door was Cobalt Kid and Timberwolf. “She didn’t let it happen…” he said with a smile, “…she was in on it.”

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

For the Odysseus Corporation’s plans to truly succeed, they needed a person on the inside. Someone to make sure all of the corporate espionage and hostile takeovers, which was public information, would not make it up the food chain.

In the person of Elena St. Clair, they found that. When Earth was taken over by the Corporations, she was already one of the greatest business minds in the galaxy. And so it was with little surprise to the corporate community when Ricimer named her his number two soon after.

But Elena was not satisfied to live at the top of a crumbling culture. What good was it to live a life of luxury, when everything around you was crumbling into nothingness?

Elena believed in capitalism. She believed in business. She dedicated her whole life to these things. When Earth was overtaken, everything she ever believed in was wiped away. She may have been at the top, but it was the very idea that there was a top—a ceiling that could not be surpassed—was what hurt her the most.

Cobalt Kid approached her in 3005 when she was abroad. She thought about it for two whole years. But it was never really much of a decision.

Because most people on Earth did not want the current world they lived in now. Even those on the top. A stagnant existence. Void of creativity. Void of opportunity.

When she agreed to help Cobalt Kid, it was at that moment that Cobalt realized what they were planning could truly be accomplished. Because people would believe in it.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Ricimer immediately ran to his desk to grab a blaster hidden within the drawers, but Timberwolf was on his immediately. Within seconds, Timberwolf had him pinned against the desk, his claws digging into his back, and the cigar inches from Ricimer’s eye.

“By all means,” said Timberwolf, “make my day.”

“Elena…? How could you?”

“Please Cornelius,” she said, “you can’t even fake it anymore. It should be obvious why. Because it’s the right thing to do.”

Cobalt walked over and put a stack of papers in front of Ricimer’s face, smacking away the cigar. He walked around Ricimer’s desk, and pulled out a felt pen Ricimer kept there. It cost $3,000 credits and Ricimer had been saving it for a special occasion. “Sign them,” said Cobalt.

Timberwolf eased off Ricimer and he stood up. “Please,” said Ricimer, “you can’t be serious. What are they?” He picked them up and looked at them and immediately he knew what they were. They were a buyout of Gold Capital Holding’s stock in Google-Facebook, the 51%. Meaning Odysseus Corporation would control Google-Facebook, giving them 52.5% control over Earthgov. The papers were giving control of Earth to them.

Ricimer looked up in a fury. “Never!” he said defiantly. “My life’s work, thrown away? Extorted by some common thugs, using violence? I’d rather die.”

“That can be arranged,” said Timberwolf, moving towards him. “If anyone ever had it coming, its you.” Every one of them knew he was deadly serious.

“You’ll sign it,” said Cobalt. “What you’ve done here on Earth, is removed any semblance of law or order. You’ve legitimized the kind of thing we’re doing right now. When you tear down a society, you can’t suddenly proclaim others can’t follow suit. Sign.”

Ricimer moved around the desk, to sit in his seat. He was thinking very fast. After all, he was a brilliant businessman. He sat, and picked up the fallen cigar, dusting it off and taking a long drag. “I’ve got a better idea,” he said. “I’ll sell you some shares of Gold Capital Holdings,” he smiled, thinking his words would be the exact thing they wanted to hear. “Both of you. I’ll make you partners. You sit back, let others do all the work, and you’re rich.”

Ricimer put his feet up on the table. He looked incredibly smug at that moment, confident in what he was offering was the greatest thing imaginable. His enormous ability to convince others what he was saying was the truth had somehow begun to work on himself long ago. He no longer believed anything other than what he wanted.

Cobalt walked over and grabbed Ricimer’s feet, throwing them off the table so hard it caused him to spin around in his chair. “I think I’ll pass,” he said so calmly, it caused Elena St. Clair to feel a chill up her spine.

“Y-You…you…you’re out of your mind…” he mumbled, “…do you have any idea what you’re passing up…? How can you not want…? What…what is it you want then…?”

Cobalt Kid leaned forward and suddenly all of the rage he felt—all he had suppressed for so long—was focused on his next words. “I want the Gold Watch".

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Manhattan, Metropolis
Earth

“The stock exchange, then?” said Timberwolf as Cobalt carried him by his side while they flew the air at top speed.

“Yes,” said Cobalt. “We have an announcement to make.”

Moments earlier:
Ricimer had no choice—he signed the papers. In those moments, he valued his own self-preservation more than power. 51% of Google-Facebook was purchased by the Odyseuss Corporation.

Cobalt used his magnetism to blast out all of the glass windows in the office, and then turned to Elena, nodding to her so she knew it was time to take the next steps.

“He might jump out the window,” said Timberwolf about Ricimer, who was now curled up in a ball on the floor.

“He won’t,” said Cobalt confidently. Cobalt knew Ricimer valued himself above all else.

“Been practicing this speech for a few years, have you?” grinned Timberwolf.

“To be honest,” said Cobalt, “I haven’t. So many things had to happen in this plan…I was never sure it’d get this far.” He smiled widely. It felt very good.

They arrived at the Earth Stock Exchange, the once preeminent center of commerce in known space. The media was waiting for them: at long last owning MediaCorp was bearing fruit.

Cobalt Kid and Timberwolf landed and a podium was in place. They walked through the crowd, towards the podium and everyone’s eyes followed them. In the crowd was a vast array of media, but also many common citizens as well.

Tiffany Spiffany smiled, watching Cobalt move, thrilled he had made it through the day.

Seahorse and the rest of the RMB also cheers and slapped each other on the back.

And suddenly, the media blockade on Earth came to a halt, as Earth news was broadcast throughout the entire galaxy.

Cobalt leaned in to the podium at the microphone and smiled the charming smile he was known for. But this time it was genuine.

“Ladies and Gentlemen,” he began, “thank you for coming. Today is a day that will live in infamy and in moments you will understand the gravity of these events. But let me begin with this: today Earthgov is being sold back to the people of Earth.”

------------------------

It was the greatest speech he ever made in the history of his eventual life. He held the entire UP in the grip of his hand with them hanging on his every word. He gradually built up their hope with one proclamation of logic after another, until the people began to expect what he was truly announcing. And when he did so, all across the cosmos people cheered.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Legion World

“I’m happy about what they’ve done,” said Ram Boy, “but I’m not sure I understand it.”

Lolita smiled, allowing herself a sense of elation at the events. She was mad at Cobie, sure, but this was her plan, and seeing it finally work made her feel so proud. “With Google-Facebook and Lloyds of London following them, the Odysseus Corporation gained control of Earth.”

”I know that,” said Ram Boy rolling his eyes and they both laughed.

“Once Cobie began talking the stocks of every single company began to drop drastically. Everyone was selling. Naturally, the Odysseus Corporation was buying them up.”

“Naturally,” said Ram Boy sarcastically.

“What Cobie announced was that using 52.5% of Earthgov’s shares, they had voted to sell Earthgov back to the citizens of Earth. They were essentially restoring Earthgov as a public institution and Government, not a Corporation.”

“But…how…?” said Ram Boy.

“Cobie and Timberwolf secured the documentation of Earth’s actual takeover, and therefore, the legal and business precedent used to do it. And so, using that, he was able to justify their actions. This should be enough for everyone to skim over the legality of it.”

“They sold it back to the citizens?” asked Ram Boy, skeptical.

“At a discount,” she said. “Don’t forget, this was all done before 4:00 PM EST Earth time. The market was still active. Like I said, the stock prices had plummeted.”

“And what was that second part?” said Ram Boy.

“The Corporate Debt,” said Lolita, “the Treasury Bonds. The Odysseus Corporation had amassed a huge sum of Treasury debt. In the trillions of credits.” She paused now to be serious but couldn’t suppress a smile. “The Odysseus Corporation has agreed to waive all of Earth’s debt.”

“Meaning…?” said Ram Boy, who believed he knew but had to be sure.

“Meaning all of the trillions of dollars Earth has on its book as liabilities have suddenly been moved to assets. All of that debt doesn’t need to be paid. Earthgov just basically had its treasury completely restored. They have trillions and trillions of credits—they’ll have everything they need to be operational again.”

Ram Boy smiled. “I want to be mad,” he said, “but it is a pretty amazing thing. We’ll have to have a talk when he returns…but I see now his intentions are good, even if his methods sometimes appear to be suspect.” He turned to her, asking “Then all of that money the ‘investors’ spent…it’s all gone?”

“Yes,” said Lolita. “It was basically a donation. The Triumvirs, the other investors, all of them—they made no profit. All of that money is simply gone. It may seem like it was a waste but what it did was fix Earth’s balance sheets. It was symbolic more than anything. There was no better way to spend it.”

Ram Boy smiled. “So Cobalt and the others…they didn’t profit from this.”

“The opposite. With this, Cobalt effectively spent every single credit he had. He’s virtually penniless now outside of his business holdings. Yes, he can regain income that way, and likely has funds for his spy games…but really, he’s now penniless.”

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Earth

Cobalt Kid and Timberwolf sat together at a dingy bar, sipping a glass of scotch together. They were in good spirits.

“So what next?” said Timberwolf. “Things won’t just go back to normal, will they?”

“Unfortunately no,” said Cobalt. “The Corporations still have private armies of mercenaries, and they won’t go down with out a fight. The key will be the Earthgov military and which way they swing…”

“Which Seahorse is already taking care of,” nodded Timberwolf. “I guess its Civil War then. Which means its out of our hands?”

“Yes,” said Cobalt, “but I have faith. Faith not only the RMB, but the people of Earth. From Elena St. Clair and the Lloyds of London brokers, to the military to the common people. The Civil War is going to happen, but the momentum is on their side.”

“And Ricimer?” said Timberwolf, a small part of him still wanting his blood.

“Kicked off of Gold Capital Holdings Board immediately,” said Cobalt, “and his reputation is ruined. He’s finished. I doubt he’ll even play a part of the Civil War. But maybe one day he’ll turn up.” Cobalt suspected Timberwolf’s next question. “Gold Capital Holdings has elected a new Chairman of the Board: Elena St. Clair. They have no idea where his motivations lie. And through her, I think we’re going to see Gold Capital Holdings return to its traditional role as a investment bank. Not my favorite institution but we’ll have to have faith she can do it.”

“Then it seems to be heading our way,” said Timberwolf. He took a deep sigh. “I’m going to make sure of it though,” he added.

Cobalt raised an eyebrow. “You’re staying behind?”

“Yup,” said Timberwolf, pouring them both another drink. “Seeing you have faith in the people of Earth is actually pretty inspiring. But I’ll just verify that faith. Make sure Seahorse convinces the military and Elena straitens out Gold Capital Holdings. And do what I can to help the people of Earth win this Civil War.”

“Well, Earthgov needs to fill its Government, and put together a Senate to pass some legislation making sure the legal actions leading to the Corporate takeover and the recent buyback never happen again. So, while you’re here…”

“You’re unbelievable,” laughed Timberwolf and they both laughed loudly.

“But seriously, Lon,” said Cobalt, “as always…thanks.” He stuck out his hand and Timberwolf shook it. Then they picked up their glasses and clinked them together.

“Sweet ass sweet.”

-FIN-

[ April 27, 2011, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Epilogue #1

Prime Minister Maya adi Lva immediately recognized the new Earthgov as an official legitimate entity and the UP offered assistance in any way they could, save military action. This would have to be won by the people of Earth.

Just as Faraway Lad had convinced her, she now set about convincing the United Planets. While she had her detractors, she was widely hailed as a political and economic genius throughout the galaxies. Within several months, the events that took place on Earth were widely perceived as the result of her planning and action.

She was so widely applauded that for the first time since the United Planets had been founded, she did something no other Prime Minister had ever done before. She ran for a third term in office.

Her relationship with the Legion of Message Board Posters grew stronger. But now, for truly the first time, she understood what kind of power they really wielded. And she realized she would have to be more cautious…and wary of them.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Epilogue #2

Cobalt Kid returned to Legion World, proud of his recent endeavors. As always, time had moved on during his absence there, but he quickly reimbursed himself in daily life.

Ram Boy and he had a quiet understanding for the remainder of Ram Boy’s term as leader. Ram Boy would not interfere with Cobalt’s various plans, whatever they were, but Cobalt would keep Ram Boy apprised of all things. Cobalt accepted it, always eager to make another ally.

Much of his great fortune now gone, Cobalt now dedicated the remaining funds he had to his Great Game. Thus, beyond his glamorous businesses, his living quarters were a modest apartment above the Travel Agency he owned.

He did not have many personal effects, but those he did have were incredibly important to him. And chief among them all, was one which now had even greater personal significance to him.

A 21st Century gold watch.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Endnotes

*Timberwolf reemerged on Legion World roughly 5-6 months later during the Revenge of the Red Bee.

*During the Revenge of the Red Bee, Ram Boy utilized his communication with Cobalt Kid behind the scenes.

*Pillum first battled Cobalt Kid and the LMB during The Psionic Spear and The Horn of Undoing.

*Maya adi Lva is secretly the Universe-1 version of Earth-4’s criminal mastermind, the Trumpeter, as revealed during the Horn of Undoing.

*In addition to the History of the LMBP, one can also get a better sense of Earth and The Corporate Takeover of Earth from the LMB Wiki page.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.