Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Oh Yeah, That Forum: The Titans » The Tula Fan-Club! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Tula Fan-Club!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Current known members:

Disaster Boy
Cobalt Kid

Discuss the mighty heroics of the hella-kewl first Aqua-Girl, and her Titans and Atlantean related adventures!

First off: what was cooler than seeing Garth and Tula riding dolphins together! More pics of this would surely help the comic book industry regain its Silver Age greatness!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Real Tula fans refer to her as "Aquachick"!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
Her death upset me more than that of Flash or Supergirl.

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
 -
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm a *HUGE* Tula/Aquagirl fan! So much so that I cannot stand that pathetic pretender to the name currently sullying the waters in Aquaman! But Tula was always such a fun character IMO. She really seemed like the Paris Hilton of her day. Party-girl princess who'll fight crime when she has to but really wants to be dancing in night-clubs with her boyfriend! Loved her outift and weird flick-up hair too!

My first exposure to her was when she appeared in a few issues of Aquaman's Aparo run in Adventure Comics and then in that Wolfman 3-parter in the Tales of the Teen Titans. That Perez cover with Aqualad stepping out of the elevator holding a dying Tula in his arms is STUNNING!

The scene where she died in Crisis was very sad and emotional, as it was quite a believable way to perish I thought, and Perez's art with Garth's tears floating away in the water was brilliant. That guy can draw no wrong! I do think her death was kinda pointless though. It didn't really achieve anything other than making Aqualad sad and mopey for FAR too long and that was something he really didn't need what with all the problems he was already having with Aquaman anyway. I wonder where someone like Geoff Johns might have taken Tula's character if she'd survived?

It was nice to see Phil Jiminez give her a nice swan-song in the Tempest mini of a few years ago but time has passed and I'm all for leaving her dead now. RIP Tula.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidMarvel (Bunny)
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KidMarvel (Bunny)   Email KidMarvel (Bunny)         Edit/Delete Post     
Loves it. or her. can I join the club? What do people think of AquaChick V.2?

--------------------
And therein lies the game my hard nippled friend

From: Newcastle Australia | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
I'm a *HUGE* Tula/Aquagirl fan! So much so that I cannot stand that pathetic pretender to the name currently sullying the waters in Aquaman!

Not much! She came out of nowhere and has no special powers or abilities that separate her from anyone else in Sub Diego and yet Aquaman takes her under his wing just like that and suddenly she'd dominating every issue of his title! And there's nothing remotely unique or intersting about her. She just screams of being one of those character that the writers and editors beat over our head 'cause they want us to love her...

She's fresh!
She's spunky!
She kicks-ass!
Actually she's none of these things but we're still gonna make you read about her.

I'd rather they deep-six Lorena ASAP and bring back Garth and Dolphin as the 'young' supporting characters of Aquaman's title or even Deep-Blue or Lagoon Boy.

And I'm dreading the day she starts showing up in Teen Titans - though I know its inevitable!

[ September 12, 2005, 05:55 AM: Message edited by: Blacula ]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Was that the Lorena Aquagirl in the recent "Evil Titans of the future" arc? I dropped AQUAMAN after the 6th miserable issue of the current run but was aware through previews and stuff that there was a new Aquagirl.

As for Tula, my secret shame is that I own no issues of her appearing in the first run of TT. I guess that makes my first exposure to her the issues of W/P TT she appeared in, because I don't remember her from any of the Adventure Aquaman issues I have.

Of note: Tula was the only former Titan left out of the Titans East/Titans West story in TTS (70s revival) 50-52!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
As for Tula, my secret shame is that I own no issues of her appearing in the first run of TT. I guess that makes my first exposure to her the issues of W/P TT she appeared in, because I don't remember her from any of the Adventure Aquaman issues I have.

Of note: Tula was the only former Titan left out of the Titans East/Titans West story in TTS (70s revival) 50-52!

I don't know when her status as honorary Titan was enforced, LASH, maybe in the pre-Baxter issues before the Baxter stories were reprinted?
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Although I don't have many of the original Teen Titans run (before they came back with Mal), I didn't think she actually appeared in any of the first run issues. I was thinking her honorary status was retconned in later.

My first exposure to her was in the Aquaman book back in the 70s, just before Aquaman and Mera's son was killed. I think Jim Aparo was drawing the book at that time.

I too was sad that she died in Crisis, and you just felt Garth's pain at losing her. Poor little tadpole [Frown]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Some great Aquagirl covers :

[IMG] http://www.comics.org/graphics/covers/1488/400/1488_4_33.jpg [/IMG]

[IMG] http://www.comics.org/graphics/covers/1488/400/1488_4_48.jpg [/IMG]

[IMG] http://www.comics.org/graphics/covers/1733/400/1733_4_30.jpg [/IMG]

[IMG] http://www.comics.org/graphics/covers/2851/400/2851_4_45.jpg [/IMG]

[IMG] http://www.comics.org/graphics/covers/7263/400/7263_4_3.jpg [/IMG]

Gee - in retrospect, Tula really liked to play the victim didn't she!

P.S. Yes MLLASH - Lorena was the Aquawoman in that Titans Tomorrow arc.

P.P.S. If anyone wants to see some *AMAZING* coverwork go to the Grand Comics Database Project homepage - http://www.comics.org/ - and check out the covers to Aquaman's first series from the 60s! Nick Cardy artwork that will blow you away! Why aren't artists as creative as that today?

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
TULA BERSERK!
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I never understood how she kept that flip hairdo underwater. She must have used a ton of hairspray!

The two HIVE covers for Tales of the Teen Titans are among my all-time favorite comic covers.

And I guess I was wrong about Tula appearing in the original Teen Titans run... as Blacula's cover shows [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Aqua Net!
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Great Frog! Who'd have thought Aqualad would have found a girl who passes out more than he does?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.