Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Legion Companion (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Legion Companion
SteveLightle
15 minutes and counting ...

Icon 3 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
I hear that TwoMorrows Legion Companion has been delayed. I certainly hope we get to see it soon.

The issue has a new cover by Dave Cockrum and previously unpublished art from Curt Swan, Mike Grell, James Sherman, George Perez, Keith Giffen,etc. I'm especially happy to have had the chance to ink a great drawing of the Legion founders by a true legend Curt Swan. A tiny version of this piece can currently be seen on the LegionUP home page.

I'm looking forward to reading many fine articles and interviews. I also look forward to getting a closer look at Dave Cockrum's unpublished Timber Wolf pages.

It should be a great book. Here's hoping its publication isn't held up too much longer.

Steve

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I cannot wait to finally see this book. Their All-Star Companion is awsome.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Paul Newell, in "DC Universe" on the CBR message boards, reported the following e-mail from author/editor Glen Cadigan, apparently sent to inquirers and early orderers of this book:

As many people here have probably already noticed, Sept. 17 came and went with no Legion Companion in stores. The truth of the matter is we're still waiting for DC's legal department to give us the green light before it can be sent to the printers. They've had a galley copy of the book for about a month and a half now, so hopefully it won't be much longer before we get the word that everything is okay.

Provided that they don't ask us to make changes (which is always possible), the book would then be another month before it hits stores, as that's how long it'll take to get it printed, shipped, etc. Those of you who ordered directly from TwoMorrows will probably get your copies earlier than everyone else since that eliminates the middle man, which in this case is Diamond and your friendly neighborhood comic book store.

And it's still not too late to order copies - like I said, the book hasn't even been printed yet. Keep in mind that it is a small press book, so it's only going to be overprinted by a certain percentage. When they're gone, they're gone.

The good news is that everyone who's seen the book so far thinks that it's great. There's an even two dozen new interviews in the book, plus some older stuff which hardly anyone has ever seen. On top of that there's some really, really great artwork. Some of it you've seen before, but an awful lot of it you haven't. We're talking Curt Swan, Steve Lightle, Dave Cockrum, Mike Grell, James Sherman, George Perez, Keith Giffen, etc., etc., here. And all of the above in copious quantities, too.

As a reward for your patience, I've been authorized to share the newly re-colored cover to the book. This is what you'll see looking back at you on the stands when it finally does come out, only minus the logo, text, etc.. It was colored by Tom Zuiko, and I think that he did a great job. Feel free to spread it around and to share it with all your friends. If you like the cover, then you'll love the book!

Paul provided a link to the corrected and re-colored art (drawn by Dave Cockrum) here. The original coloring was done quickly for appearances in ads and "Previews."

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I hope this isn't going to be the greatest book we never saw. [Frown]

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Waiting, waiting, waiting. Hopefully before Christmas.

DC Was UP! Approve it! [Smile]

Hopefully nothing legal up. I am really eagerly awaiting.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
grrr......*thud* *pouting* DC, HURRY UP!!!
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
One of the TwoMorrows staff members posted this on 2 October, in the same CBR Forums thread:

The book has been ok'd by DC. Just a couple of minor tweaks to make and it'll be going off to the printer next week. Look for it in stores in about 5 weeks (give or take a week) from now.

Eric Nolen-Weathington
www.twomorrows.com

That would have it available around 9 November. He said later that those ordering from TwoMorrows directly would have their copies shipped about a week earlier, so as to arrive by the publication date.

[ October 10, 2003, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin         Edit/Delete Post     
I got an e-mail from Glen with an attachment of the finished cover and said it should be out by end of October.
Kevin

From: Metro NYC also known as NJ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
I've been informed that one of the two objections DC has made, is one of my Animated Legion concept drawings. For whatever reason, they didn't want that to see print in the Legion Companion. Technically, it is their property, and they have every right to withdraw it from the book. I'm not sure what their other objection was.

Anyway, that's the inside scoop ... at least, as near inside as I get.

Steve Lightle

PS: For the record, the animated Legion drawing wasn't included in the book at my suggestion, but was one of the few pieces that was specifically requested by Glen Cadigan. Poor Glen, neither he nor I expected that DC might not want it in the book.

[ October 15, 2003, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: SteveLightle ]

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Do you mean this one?

-

[ October 13, 2003, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Or this one? [Razz] [Wink] [Love]

-

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Those are dreamy!!!

lil'rhino

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Steve, are they waiting specifically on another contribution from you? Or will Glen go ahead and insert another piece of art in place of the work of yours (yes, it'll be one of the two posted above by Nightcrawler) that DC didn't want included?

I'm sure Glen had more art available than he could include. I provided two pieces to him in high-res scans, one of them a Lightle convention drawing of Dream Girl and Dawnstar. Glen wasn't certain that this would be used. Perhaps that can be swapped in, if it hasn't been used already.

The official publication date has now been re-set to 19 November, so I suspect all is in readiness, apart from that printing plate, if the book isn't being printed already -- at least in part.

SteveLightle

Icon 5 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
If Glen has moved ahead with plan B, I'd like to know about it. Last I heard, he wanted a replacement piece for the Anime Legion. He also has some other unspecified piece that needs/needed replacement, but I know no details on that one.

Steve

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
They're probably just embrassed that they came up with such a poor/unoriginal/ripped-off concept [Smile]

[Not a reflection on Steve's work, BTW - he did a good job with the Digimon rip-off he was asked for.]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.