Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » From Sketch to Inks (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: From Sketch to Inks
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Barry, I just love the grinning Legion. I mean, when was the last time we saw a smiling Element Lad? I appreciate the reasoning behind your decision to wipe the grins off their faces, but I've had my fill of anxious frowns and knitted brows. As much as I liked the DnA run, their stories were so unrelentingly "serious and dangerous" it became downright depressing at times. Hopefully, the new series will have its share of smiles and laughter, too. More than anything, I want the Legion to be fun again.

Anyway, I'm glad you switched Phantom Girl and Saturn Girl so we got a better look at Tinya's nifty new/old costume.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Barry this is the kind of stuff, if you can't already tell, that we all dig on.

I really love the initial pencils on all of the characters except for Garth. I feel the inked version is much better. Maybe its because I feel Lightning Lad would be grinning like that, I'm not sure. But either way, outstanding!

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I think maybe Sun Boy in the inked page was just 'one of those drawings' I think I prefer his look in every other panel I've drawn him in too!

I think you can put his change in hair color - and his costume colors down to the same teething problems that turned Tasmia gray. [Smile]
I should have caught these things prior to printing, but I think I was just so carried away with the pages for #1 that I was working on at the time the proof were sent out that I missed a few things - I'll try not to let it happen again.

The sketch is just the way I draw - my sketches are either so loose only I can tell what they are or about as tight as these...they are even tighter for someone else to ink though!
I even get to the stage of fully inking panels and then redrawing and inking them sometimes - as Darden and Matthew can attest. My 'methods' do drive some editors to distraction [Big Grin]

As far as the letter column goes - you have a definite point Pov! [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
Hopefully, the new series will have its share of smiles and laughter, too. More than anything, I want the Legion to be fun again.

[/QB]

Hi Tromium - that mixture is exactly what we're aiming for. We want there to be all shades of life reflected in the book - #1 will give you a very good idea of what to expect.

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loser Lad
Stressed

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loser Lad   Email Loser Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
The sketch is just the way I draw - my sketches are either so loose only I can tell what they are or about as tight as these...they are even tighter for someone else to ink though!
I even get to the stage of fully inking panels and then redrawing and inking them sometimes - as Darden and Matthew can attest.

Yeesh. And you're able to keep up a 30-page-per-month schedule like that? That's got to be tough! Good luck staying on top of it!

So, how long does a typical page usually take you to complete if you're inking yourself?

quote:
My 'methods' do drive some editors to distraction [Big Grin]
I'll bet! [Smile]

--------------------
The LMB Archives

From: The Loser Cave | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Loser Lad:
Yeesh. And you're able to keep up a 30-page-per-month schedule like that? That's got to be tough! Good luck staying on top of it!

So, how long does a typical page usually take you to complete if you're inking yourself?

[/QB]

I generally work a 12 to 13 hour day (if you can call it work - it's a real pleasure to be honest)
and can draw between a page and a page and a half a day....depending on the amount of detail characters etc. LSH is proving to be EXTREMELY labor intensive so I think realistically we'll need an inker to keep up the schedule - but making sure the quality is maintained is the main thing. I don't want to skimp on anything in this book!

I keep asking Mark for the solo story on a desert planet...but no response so far! [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Spotlight on Shadow Lass!
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Spotlight? But then you could see her... [Confused] [Wink]

Use a blacklight instead! [LOL]

Legion of Super Heroes: The Black Issue...

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
LSH is proving to be EXTREMELY labor intensive so I think realistically we'll need an inker to keep up the schedule - but making sure the quality is maintained is the main thing. I don't want to skimp on anything in this book!

That was my only complaint with your run on Titans. I typically love your work, but I don't think the inker on Titans did your work justice. It just didn't seem like a good fit to me. A good inker should complement a penciller's work, not overshadow it.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
Legion of Super Heroes: The Black Issue...

That should help keep Barry way ahead of schedule. All he would have to draw are eyes and teeth [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
This is such gorgeous work. I wish I were going to Dallas just to buy up all your sketches, Barry. I really like the wrist length gloves on some of the characters - very practical and makes them look like they're ready for action. December, hurry up!

[ October 26, 2004, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Semi Transparent Fellow ]

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Faboo!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Awesome! I hope we can eventually get to see alternate costume designs that didn't see print too? Thanks!
From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
We could always have an Invisible Kid issue set inside a single room. [Smile]

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Photostat the room, and VOILA! The rest is up to the letterer! [LOL]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.