Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Wizard World Texas -- Waid/Kitson/Wacker discussion + sneak peak of Legion #1! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Wizard World Texas -- Waid/Kitson/Wacker discussion + sneak peak of Legion #1!
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
At the Wizard World Texas convention this past weekend, Legion creators Mark Waid and Barry Kitson, along with editor Steve Wacker, discussed the book in a Legion-only panel, as well as a separate DCU panel the following day.

All three were also on-hand at the DC booth each day for signatures, chatting, and (in the case of Barry) some seriously terrific sketches. Also available for viewing at the DC booth was a black-and-white advance copy of the Legion #1 -- which is currently set for publication on December 29.

I'm not sure how much people want to be spoiled, so I'll start off with some relatively minor spoilers and then maybe we can work our way up to more major ones if everyone is comfortable with the way things are going...

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
SPOILERS

Highlight the text below to read it:

There is going to be a core group of about 18 Legionnaires that will be the focus of the book. Each issue will spotlight smaller groups of a couple of Legionnaires.

As a movement, however, there is something on the order of 75,000 kids who follow the Legion's beliefs.

The characters that are featured in the first issue are Ultra Boy, Light Lass, Sun Boy, Cosmic Boy, Micro Lad (a.k.a. Colossal Boy), Invisible Kid, Phantom Girl, Karate Kid, Shadow Lass, Element Lad, and Chameleon. There may have been one or two others (I think Triplicate Girl is shown at least in the background in one panel), but those were the ones I recall seeing.

The other Legionnaires aren't sure of Chameleon's gender, so it's not "Chameleon Boy" or "Chameleon Girl" -- just "Chameleon."

Invisible Kid joins the Legion in the first issue. When invisible, he apparently can't be perceived in any visible spectrum. (Ultra Boy's ultra-vision can't pick Lyle out.) IK initially seems to find the codename a bit cornball.

Light Lass has dated at least two members of the Legion already. (Should I say who they are?)

The Legion's headquarters has plenty of 21st century parapharnelia, including a foosball table and comics-spinner racks.

Those are the main points I remember from the first issue... I'm sure others will recall additional things.

Coming soon... info about the title generally and where it's going in the near future...

[ November 08, 2004, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: STU Cat ]

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Awesome! More, I say, more!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
SPOIL ME! I'd do it for you! [Smile]
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
You're doing fine so far, STU.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, yeah! And I sure wouldn't mind knowing who Light Lass had dated. Also, that spin on Chameleon is interesting.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Some more spoilers:

Issue #1 begins with a series of pages that show scenes throughout history leading up to the Legion's time. This is done in rows of horizontal panels -- three or four per page, I think.

Add Star Boy to the list of characters that appear in the first issue -- I'd forgotten about seeing him, but he plays a relatively large role, I think.

Light Lass appears to have dated both Ultra Boy and Sun Boy before. Although both are in the book, I don't recall seeing Ultra Boy and Phantom Girl interacting with each other. (I didn't read the advance copy that closely, though -- so I could be mistaken.)

The creators have roughly the first three years planned out already.

The book is not going to do a reboot version of any past Legion stories, events, or villains just for the sake of doing a reboot version. My take on what they said is that they have no specific plans at this point to "do over" any past Legion stories, but that they haven't completely ruled out doing so in the future if the story could be done well on its own.

The Legion seems to be almost entirely humanoid at the start of the series, but my impression is that that status will change -- and that it's all a part of what the creators have planned with the team.

There are a few more things I recall, but let's see if anyone else who was there wants to post some spoilers...

Stargazer
One Monkeys Opinion...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargazer           Edit/Delete Post     
Your doing it just fine.. heck I want to hear more and I was there.

--------------------
Looking for Earth Prime.

From: Conroe Texas | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm glad you guys got to go-- and had as good a time as it seems you did! I'm envious...

What about Element Lad?

And the rumored 'page 14'?

Thanks for the info, STU!!

Todd

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, I like that certain "classic" relationships aren't in evidence at the beginning of the series. It takes time for people to get to know one another, start dating, and have a relationship.

I don't think all of these previous relationships need to be revisited. I'm a little tired of the Jo/Tinya coupling. I liked it preboot, but it was a little much in the reboot. I wouldn't mind if these two went in a new direction this time around. Like I've said in the past, I want to see _new_ situations for these characters, not a new spin on old stories.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I was quite pleased myself to learn that certain LEGION chicks dated certain LEGION guys that you wouldn't normally think would have dated... I mean, Jillikers! Let's be real here!

There are teens-- there's going to be some out of control hormones here!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Pariscub
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pariscub   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
No offence, but nothing I've just read encourages me to read the book so far (the foosball table is going to haunt me now!)

I just hope it's better than it sounds, because it sounds like one of those Waid "miss" times more than a Waid "hit" time... :-(

I'll check it for the art though

--------------------
Ze Frainch Legion fan

From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
The presence of a spinner rack seems to be the ultimate bit of meta-irony. The lack of them in the 21st Century -- they pretty much didn't make it out of the 20th in any numbers -- is what may keep this book, and all printed non-manga comics, from lasting any longer than this decade.

No more mass audience. Even 100,000 copies -- let alone "LSH" v5's more likely 25,000 -- would not be a mass audience.

I'm afraid I'm with Pariscub thus far. Except for some of Kitson's costume designs, nothing is compelling about this -- though, yes, I'll be trying it for at least a year.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I really hope they take a lot of the 'classic' couples in different directions in this series. I'm so over Thom/Nura, Jo/Tasmia, Garth/Imra, etc. Time to mix things up a bit!

And sounds like Ayla's gonna be the one adding the spice! [Wink] Cool. That added to her cool new costume and I already know she's gonna be one of my faves in this new universe!

Also looks like we've got some non-humanoid members just around the corner - EXCELLENT!

[Blok] [Tellus] [Dawnstar] [Lamprey] [Infectious Lass] [Gates]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
What about Element Lad?

Element Lad appears a couple of times. I seem to recall one scene where he transmutes some weapons into a gaseous element. I don't remember whether he did much more than that, but he was definitely around. And, I'm growing to like his costume more and more...

The accuracy (or lack thereof) of some of the 20th/21st century "artifacts" is, I think, meant to be deliberate. A lot of information has been lost between our time and the Legion's time. These are kids who are trying to re-enact some of the aspects of the "golden age" of super-heroes, and not necessarily knowing all the facts -- kind of like the way we have Renaissance faires and the like, even though a lot of the details are really based on contemporary interpretation and not 100% historically accurate.

This also explains the costumes -- the presence of capes, etc. -- which are what the Legion imagines the costumes of "today's" super-heroes were like.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.