Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Jim Mooney, R.I.P. (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Jim Mooney, R.I.P.
Glen Cadigan
Semi-Pro

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glen Cadigan   Email Glen Cadigan         Edit/Delete Post     
According to Mark Evanier's blog, Jim Mooney passed away yesterday at the age of 88. For those that don't recognize the name, Jim was the fourth person to ever draw the Legion of Super-Heroes, behind Al Plastino, Curt Swan (covers) and George Papp. If DC's Legion Archives Vol. 1 can be trusted, that means that Al drew the first story, George drew the second, and Jim drew the third. Every Legionnaire that appeared for the first time in a Supergirl story was designed by Jim, and off the top of my head, that includes Brainiac 5, Phantom Girl, Triplicate Girl, Sun Boy, Shrinking Violet, Bouncing Boy, Colossal Boy, and Chameleon Boy. He played a major role in defining the look of the Silver Age Legion.

On a personal note, he was the first person that I interviewed for The Legion Companion almost six years ago to the month. I ran into him on eBay, and after I figured out that it was really him and not just someone selling his artwork, I hit him up for an interview and he agreed. He couldn't have been nicer, and I couldn't have picked someone better to break me in. I remember being very conscious of the fact that he was 82 at the time, and was glad that someone would get him on the record about his Legion days while he was still around. I even got him to sign a copy of the book for me in San Diego in 2006, so that was nice.

Jim kept doing commissions until... well, I don't know if he ever stopped, and they were all great, too. You'd never guess that an eighty-odd year old man drew them. They looked like someone had them in a drawer since the '70s, and I mean that in the best possible way.

This leaves Al Plastino, Jim Shooter, and Cary Bates as the only Weisinger-era Legion creators left. Hopefully, it'll be a long time before someone has to write something about them.

--------------------
Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/GlenCadigan

or check out my website at http://www.glencadigan.com

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
This is sad news. May he rest in peace.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
If he drew the third appearance, doesn't that make him responsible for the classic Adventure Era costumes of the founders?

Rest in peace.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glen Cadigan
Semi-Pro

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glen Cadigan   Email Glen Cadigan         Edit/Delete Post     
That was George Papp, in their second appearance.

--------------------
Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/GlenCadigan

or check out my website at http://www.glencadigan.com

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
So we have Jim to thank for the green kid (and others). May he still be doing commissions on the other side.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Another great one leaves us. But we'll have his work always and pass it on to others so he's never forgotten. May he rest in peace. [Frown]
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
[Frown]
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
That means I read his stories for the first time when he was about 83. [Cheers] to that type of eternity.

RIP Jim.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
RIP Mr Mooney, you will be missed.

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
Condolences to his family. He will be greatly missed. [Frown]

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
That Colossal Boy space-ranger outfit was a big fave of mine as a youngster, reading reprints of the ADV era stuff. Thanks for pointing out the outits he designed! One could consider him a 60s era Dave Cockrum for the Legion.

I think I want to reread the archives now...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Glen Cadigan:
Every Legionnaire that appeared for the first time in a Supergirl story was designed by Jim, and off the top of my head, that includes Brainiac 5, Phantom Girl, Triplicate Girl, Sun Boy, Shrinking Violet, Bouncing Boy, Colossal Boy, and Chameleon Boy.

. . . and Invisible Kid!

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Godspeed, Mr. Mooney and thank you for all your contributions to the Legion and Supergirl.
From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frog King
The B^|@h is back!!!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frog King   Email Frog King         Edit/Delete Post     
I can't believe it. I planned to ask him for a Supergirl or Ms. Marvel commission.

I'm really, really sorry to hear that. Not only he was a gifted artist, but I heard he was a great guy too.

Me sad. Me want to read my Legion Archives again [Frown] .

From: Berlin | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duck458
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duck458   Email duck458         Edit/Delete Post     
I know that he worked on Supergirl for a long time and remember his work on Spiderman as well, but where can one go to find more about the late Mr. Mooney?

--------------------
So what.

From: Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.