Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Jim Mooney, R.I.P. (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Jim Mooney, R.I.P.
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The classic Legion-era characters and costumes were such an integral part to their identity when I was growing up that it's easy to forget that they were designed by a very real and very specific artist. Somehow, I never associate Jim Mooney with the Legion (Supergirl was more of his calling card).

This makes me all the more grateful to Glen for snagging that interview with Jim for Legion Companion. It ensures that Jim's role in the development of the Legion will never be forgotten.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glen Cadigan
Semi-Pro

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glen Cadigan   Email Glen Cadigan         Edit/Delete Post     
I was lucky to get Jim on the record as the designer of most of the Silver Age costumes, as I was with Al Plastino as the designer of the original costumes of the three founders, even if he didn't remember doing it! It would've been nice if someone had asked George Papp about his Legion costume designs (the traditional Silver Age costumes of the three founders, plus Star Boy and Mon-El), but I don't know of anyone who interviewed him about anything.

Ironically, Curt Swan, who is so closely associated with the Silver Age Legion, only designed one character: Ultra Boy. That's if the fans who created Shadow Lass and Chemical King included sketches of those characters when they submitted them to DC; otherwise, they might have been his designs.

As far as the rest of the Silver Age Legion goes, outside of Ferro Lad, Projectra, and Karate Kid (Jim Shooter), Matter-Eater Lad, Light Lass, Element Lad, Dream Girl, and Timber Wolf were all designed by John Forte, as were the entire Legion of Substitute Heroes.

[ April 03, 2008, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Glen Cadigan ]

--------------------
Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/GlenCadigan

or check out my website at http://www.glencadigan.com

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
I hate to have heard this about Mr. Mooney. I was just thinking a few weeks ago that he should have been a part of the 50th anniversary in some way as he did leave an imprint on the book. I hope they acknowledge him somewhere in the near future.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
Mooney also designed the Dominators didn't he?
i liked his Legion work and his Supergirl work.
as for Shadow Lass and Chemical King... weren't they designed by Jim Shooter, who did breakdowns for his scripts that were then interpreted by Swan?

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glen Cadigan
Semi-Pro

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glen Cadigan   Email Glen Cadigan         Edit/Delete Post     
Shadow Lass and Chemical King were both created and designed by two fans working together: George Vincent and Mike Rickford. They submitted the characters to Mort Weisinger, and they first appeared as statues of dead Legionnaires on the cover of the first Adult Legion story. That's what Weisinger did: whenever he needed disposable characters (dead Legionnaires that hadn't been introduced yet, Legion rejects, Substitute Legionnaires) he used suggestions from fans. That's where the entire Legion of Substitute Heroes came from, including Polar Boy, who eventually went on to join the Legion himself. Shooter then introduced the characters because there was an expectation that they would join the Legion.

The Dominators were created by Jim Shooter, as were the Controllers, in his illustrated scripts.

--------------------
Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/GlenCadigan

or check out my website at http://www.glencadigan.com

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
thanks for the clarification!
i never knew that shady and condo were created by fans.

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.