Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » Another Fine Mess... (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Another Fine Mess...
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi!

Let me tell you about the latest downtime. Last Saturday, the power supply on my personal computer burned out before I went to work. On Sunday, I had plans and wasn't able to get to a computer store (while they were open) to get a new power supply. Monday, I was able to get one, but when I replaced the bad with the new, I realized that the mother board had died as well. So I rushed to a nearby Office Depot and bought a new PC, 5 minutes before they closed, only to then log into the net to discover that LW was down (or more specifically the MB part).

It seems that PowWeb felt that the ultimatebb.cgi file was exceeding our resource allotment by PowWeb and they turned it off. Unfortunately, I didn't have access to my back ups, FTP, etc. So, Scott was kind enough to take the time to try and fix things. But anything he did, didn't matter, until PowWeb restored our ability to delete/replace/alter/etc. the ultimatebb.cgi file.

Today, I finally got a representative at PowWeb to let us regain access to the file. After I set up my old hard drive, I deleted the old ultimatebb and replaced it. That's why we're here again. Sorry! The delays are also due to the fact that today is my roommate's birthday and my BF is in town from NY. I kinda had other plans for today. But, I was able to find the time though to get this mess straigtened up.

Again sorry. I promise when I have the time and money, we'll be rid of our current server and their quirky ways.

[ April 06, 2004, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm just glad we've got someone as conscientious as you watching our backs (just don't lower those eyes too much if the BF is around [Wink] ). Thanks for all your hard work, and get back to your BF and roomie!!

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks Seymour!
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Go out and have fun Gary. You deserve a good night out on the town.

And I'll be making another back up of the site for home tonight. Got one at work today so I have one at both places I have access. But, like you said, nothing would have worked until they restored access to the cgi file.

Thanks for all you do and for being you!

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for all your efforts, guys! And keep in mind that even though PowWeb has been a little quirky, and we have suffered sporadic downtime, the vast majority of the time the boards have been up, so don't feel too bad if we have little outages every now and then.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
*Whew*! At least no one realizes that I was in the midst of posting when the boards went down...

[Calamity King]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Good Work all... It sends a chill up my spine everytime Legion World is down... like I'm just about to start seeing red skies or fade out of existance or something... [Wink]

Thanks!!!

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Star Boy:
Good Work all... It sends a chill up my spine everytime Legion World is down... like I'm just about to start seeing red skies or fade out of existance or something... [Wink]

Thanks!!!

We wouldn't do that to you Wayne. Not until you at least get to see Hellboy. [Big Grin]
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Thank you again for jumping through those hoops, these days more of 'em than ever, to keep this circus going.

What amount of bandwidth or system demand is contractually "excessive"? Did they give you a figure, so you could deal with it, or just arbitrarily cut LW.net off?

If you have only a handful of months left, it'd be worth the $25 cancellation fee to get your remaining money back from PowWeb and go to a new Web host immediately. I'll put up $5 of it right now if you'll do so ... who's with me?

They've screwed you over twice in three weeks, Gary, and you (and we) shouldn't have to put up with it. We have no shortage of inexpensive hosting providers. Their presence has ballooned in the marketplace even since last Summer.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Even if I had the money to move, I'm not sure I have the time open to make the move. Maybe in a few weeks. I'll see what I can do.

Anyway, even though by my reckoning we've got about 14 days left on our Google voodoo ward, I think it may have been a spider that spiked us. Cause our problem isn't bandwidth, it's "resource abuse" which means to me that we're overworking our server and causing problems with our cyber-neighbors.

I went again to this site (and even though it appears we're current), I added us again to be excluded by their spiders. I hope that it'll give us more time before this happens all over again.

And another "request" made by PowWeb support was that I restrict our permissions on our CGI files to 755 (read only from the web) instead of 777 (read and write). Unfortunately, there's a problem in that mindset, as to do that would make this site unusable. This entire message board is made up of CGI files. This very thread is one. If I made these read only, then we couldn't post messages. Just read the ones that are already here. Even if I wanted to stay with them, I couldn't. They're getting pretty adamant about me changing "our" permissions on our files.

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Even if I had the money to move, I'm not sure I have the time open to make the move. Maybe in a few weeks. I'll see what I can do.

Anyway, even though by my reckoning we've got about 14 days left on our Google voodoo ward, I think it may have been a spider that spiked us. Cause our problem isn't bandwidth, it's "resource abuse" which means to me that we're overworking our server and causing problems with our cyber-neighbors.

I went again to this site (and even though it appears we're current), I added us again to be excluded by their spiders. I hope that it'll give us more time before this happens all over again.

And another "request" made by PowWeb support was that I restrict our permissions on our CGI files to 755 (read only from the web) instead of 777 (read and write). Unfortunately, there's a problem in that mindset, as to do that would make this site unusable. This entire message board is made up of CGI files. This very thread is one. If I made these read only, then we couldn't post messages. Just read the ones that are already here. Even if I wanted to stay with them, I couldn't. They're getting pretty adamant about me changing "our" permissions on our files.

You can't turn on/use the ultimatebb.php file, to maybe get round that?

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Sanity or Madness?:
You can't turn on/use the ultimatebb.php file, to maybe get round that?

I've tried using PHP here. I only get error messages when I do. I believe that Rob K. had similar problems while at PowWeb.
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Nighty, if and when you ever come over to the sunny UK Sonnie and I will take you out for a mad weekend as thanks for all the love and dedication you put into this site.

[Hug]

Bx

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Thanks! I try. I REALLY, REALLY hate it when we aren't up and working and it's not my fault. [Wink]
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Thanks! I try. I REALLY, REALLY hate it when we aren't up and working and it's not my fault. [Wink]

So you love it when we're down and broken and it IS your fault? [Wink]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.