Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » Happy Birthday Legion World! We're Moving! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Happy Birthday Legion World! We're Moving!
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
At some point today and tomorrow, you may come here and see the board closed and the following message:

quote:
We're changing orbit again!

Legion World will return soon. But, if you need to interact with the gang, then go to the old HQ!

Basically, we're changing servers. Although PowWeb has served us well (more or less), it was made apparent to me during our last extended downtime that CGI/Perl based message boards are not looked at favorably. They would like us to use PHP or something else. Since I love my UBB board more than the server service, you can guess which won.

However, images (except avatars, graemlins, logos, etc.) saved here shall remain on this server at the new address of legionpics.us. Which means I have to go in and edit all of the messages that have images that point to legionworld.net. Until then, expect broken links to them and lots of red x's.

Also, when this is all done, I should be able to enable the Upload function again. It'll save images to legionpics.us and allow members to share and display their own images. With the images being stored at a different server, we shouldn't experience any downtime from bandwidth issues or resource abuse anymore.

When the DNS has switched over to the new server, I'll open us back up as soon as possible. We have to close before then to make sure no one posts anything that's not moved to the new site. And we need to be sure it all works okay at the new location before opening up again.

So that's what's happening and why it's happening. Any questions?

[ July 04, 2004, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh! And I want to thank Lightning Lad for providing us with a new server host and for buying us a new domain, legionpics.us! Thanks Scott!
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Are we THERE yet?! [Razz]

[Hug] [Nightcrawler] [Hug]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
[Naiveity on]

Can't you do a global find'n'replace on all the messages?

[Naivety off]

More seriously, I think "served us well" is pushing it. "Served us kinda-sorta okay when it felt like it" is more like it [Smile]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, Scott, for the new server and domain, and thanks Gary, for keeping us informed.

Hopefully, this'll be it for awhile, for your sakes.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks to Gary & Scott once again. Can we help in anyway with the finances? I'd be willing to donate! Doesn't seem fair that you guys should carry the expense alone.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for undertaking all these gyrations, yet again.

Where's the new server? I hope it compares favorably with PowWeb as to price, which turned out to be pretty much its only strong point. (They should have made a PHP preference clear from the beginning.)

And will LegionPics.us stay on PowWeb after September, when that year of service runs out, or will you find a new server for that address as well?

I hope you can do a global search-and-replace, as well as create new folders at some point to organize what's (mainly) one big mess of an "Images" directory.

The upload-files function will help corral new ones, when you get it going again, and the avatars are handled already, but the existing dancing numbers, etc., are just dumped into the one directory. I know of "grep" programs that could do multiple searches-and-replaces if you create new folders.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Greybird:
Thanks for undertaking all these gyrations, yet again.

No problem. I'm just sorry it has to be today/tomorrow (our anniversary).

quote:
Where's the new server? I hope it compares favorably with PowWeb as to price, which turned out to be pretty much its only strong point. (They should have made a PHP preference clear from the beginning.)

globat.com with a $0.27 a month savings to PowWeb. [Smile] And they checked us out for compatibility this time, so we should do good. This is better than my original choice of hostnuke.com (whom I chose for their UBB friendliness, and not for their price).

quote:
And will LegionPics.us stay on PowWeb after September, when that year of service runs out, or will you find a new server for that address as well?

Yes. And when I mentioned it earlier in a chat, I had the date wrong. We've got the place until November 21st. After that, we may move to globat or not. We'll have to see how they serve us.

quote:
I hope you can do a global search-and-replace, as well as create new folders at some point to organize what's (mainly) one big mess of an "Images" directory.

Not sure about a global search-and-replace, but I plan to take the time to reorganize the images left here before I take the time to edit all the messages. Hopefully, Scott and I can come up with a system that makes sense. It'll be time consuming, but I don't plan on rushing it.

quote:
The upload-files function will help corral new ones, when you get it going again, and the avatars are handled already, but the existing dancing numbers, etc., are just dumped into the one directory. I know of "grep" programs that could do multiple searches-and-replaces if you create new folders.

"Grep" programs? What are those?
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Will the new host be spider-proof, or will we have to find out the hard way? [Wink]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Pardon my ignorance, but other than some time without LW, how will this affect me?

Will the LW link in my favorites still work? Will the board look the same? All the threads remain? etc etc

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ActorLad
Un-Famous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ActorLad           Edit/Delete Post     
Ack! We're being rebooted. I hope I can recognize myself after it's over.

--------------------
ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!

From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Pardon my ignorance, but other than some time without LW, how will this affect me?

Will the LW link in my favorites still work? Will the board look the same? All the threads remain? etc etc 

All that will affect you is downtime. www.legionworld.net will still look and act like this. Sorry. [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by ActorLad:
Ack! We're being rebooted. I hope I can recognize myself after it's over.

We're calling it re-imagined. You all get new homeworlds and backstories! You won't even recognize yourself.
Nightcrawler
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Sanity or Madness?:
Will the new host be spider-proof, or will we have to find out the hard way? [Wink]

The hard way is the only way!
Nightcrawler
Founder

I seem to be experiencing problems trying to upload the site to the new server (not a good sign), so I may need to postpone the move a bit.

I'll keep you guys informed.

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Call if you need help moving the piano.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.