Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » DISCUSSION: Should this forum be used primarily for “serious” topics? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: DISCUSSION: Should this forum be used primarily for “serious” topics?
Reep
Resigned

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Reep           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm probably going to catch hell for this, and I may be out of line raising this issue, but I’d like to know how everyone else feels about it.

I was under the impression that this forum was gravitating toward the more “serious” topics, like discussions of Legion eras, Legionnaires, their histories, artists and writers, as well as fan memoirs, some Legion inquiries of newer fans, and of course Legion trivia.

Likewise it seemed that the Mission Monitor Board forum was becoming the home of the more playful and whimsical posting.

But recently it appears to have changed.

I raise the issue because I was considering spending time updating the “Turning Points” topic with a continuation of my What If scenarios of early Adventure. I have mentioned that this is time-consuming; let’s face, it’s writing, not just our usual off-the-cuff posting.

But when I look at page one of this forum, I realize that perhaps within 15 minutes after posting it may be pushed halfway down the page, and who knows, in 3-4 hours maybe on page 2. It’s discouraging, because why spend all that time writing when it’s isn’t going to have a reasonable amount of board “visibility” before it gets buried? I think we all have expectations of a minimal amount of board visibility in our topics and posts.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not at all against the playful topics. I myself create some in this ID and also in my alt ID of Nardo, but I’ve been trying to keep any such primarily humor topics over at MMB. It seemed the right place.

We all enjoy adding humor to our posts and appreciate others doing it, but this sheer volume of spontaneous whimsy topics seems inappropriate in what this forum was shaping up to be.

Basically I’m saying, kids, c'mon, please don’t play in the study area. Could you take it outside?

The solution to this issue isn't flagging topics. For example, I created "Turning Points," but I don't think it deserves a "top" flag. And you can't flag all the serious topics.

Adding another forum seems unnecessary. We already have, what, 13? I'm not suggesting making new rules or new forums. I'm suggesting consideration for others' interests.

Am I being unreasonable? A grouch? I'm sure you'll tell me.

So how does everyone else feel? Should this forum be primarily for “serious” topics, or is a high volume of spontaneous whimsy topics appropriate in this forum?

Try not to burn my ears off.

[Chameleon Boy]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree.

I don't think you're being unreasonable.

Maybe some clarification and renaming of the forums would be appropriate?

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
As much as I dislike the idea of "rules", Reep has a point. I don't see anything wrong with fun titles and posts. But there is no reason they can't be contained to the Mission MOnitor Board.

What does everyone else think?

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I think that seems reasonable. I realize that even serious topics can take a turn for the whimsical, but having them all mixed together does make it difficult to find topics. I certainly do partake of the whimsy threads from time to time, but in the general forum I primarily look at the more serious discussions. And sometimes those topics do tend to get pushed down quickly, so if you're looking for serious, it's tough to find them. That was my only complaint with the DC Legion Boards.

There are plenty of available forums here at Legion World. I think it sounds reasonable to have one forum dedicated to serious Legion-related discussion. That still leaves plenty of places for strictly whimsical threads. There can easily be something for everyone here [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
I certainly don't think you should tell people how to post, Reep.

As far as the "serious" vs. "nonserious" topics, I DEFINITELY think there's room for both. I'm sure once we have the next issue of Legion there will be lots of serious discussion about it.

It sounds like you're miffed about a thread you spent a lot of time on being pushed down, which is something we can all relate to, but that's the nature of posting on a message board! Not every post, serious or playful, is going to get 200 responses. I've definitely had my share of both, and I know how frustrating it can be when a fave topic doesn't catch fire like you think it should.

I definitely don't want this forum to be SERIOUS all the time. As for Thriftshop Debutante's "whimsical" topics she posts every so often en masse (and let's not be coy about it, let's call a spade a spade and talk about what this thread is REALLY about,) I like the lightening up of the forum she brings. And usually, the board irons itself out in a day or so.

EVERYONE has the right to talk about what they want to talk about in this forum, as long as it is LEGION-RELATED, whimsical or not. I like having the mix of humor and seriousness to pick from.

Mission Monitor Board seems to be a catch-all, anyway, and it's main emphasis seems to be the lives and idiosyncrazies of the people who post here: thus the different "rooms." Anyway, that's my two cents.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 5 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
I think all of the Legion World forums should be funny and non-sensical. Even the "study forum".

But that's just me. Sometimes you just gotta let the thread live or die under it own momentum. Sooner or later, all threads get pushed to the bottom. Take satisfaction out of the time that you put into it, and don't worry about whether or not the thread gets pushed to the bottom in a posting frenzy.

If you really like the thread, you can always come back and bump it occassionally.

I'm off to check out all the fun on the Mission Monitor Board. I didn't know there was fun to be had there...

[ July 18, 2003, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: minesurfer ]

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reep
Resigned

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reep           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm sorry but I don't think all the forums should be funny and non-sensical. Why? I can't even understand that viewpoint. Should all meals be hamburgers? Should all music be country western?

What is wrong with having a forum that's mostly serious? Why does it have to be flooded with whimsical topics?

I'm not at all telling people what to post and I don't appreciate anyone making that mis-representation. I'm simply suggesting there are appropriate areas for appropriate topics.

Yes, there is of course room for both serious and whimsical topics. Does it have to be on the same forum?

Would you expect to do practice music in a river? In a flood?

Why not utilize separate forums for separate "attitudes?"

I'm not suggesting anyone stop posting anything. I'm suggesting they consider the most appropriate forum.

What's wrong with that?

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
I certainly don't think you should tell people how to post, Reep.

I don't really think that's his intention, Jeff. One of the biggest problems the LMBP ever had to face on the old DC Boards was that some people on the Legion Board didn't appreciate having our whimsical threads mixed into their more serious topics. They weren't really interested in whimsy, and it was a pain for them to have to search through our posts to find topics that interested them.

Our answer was to go over to the Legionnaires board, where we more or less had free reign to be as wacky as we wanted, since really no one else was posting there. It was all good until the two boards were combined into one, and we tried to bring our brand of topics back into the Legion board. We had the same problem again.

Now, it doesn't seem to me that anyone is saying that everyone has to make serious posts only. What is being asked for is one forum in the Legion Clubhouse to be for more serious Legion discussion, while the rest can contain the more zany threads. I don't think that seems unreasonable. It makes it easier for people that want serious discussion to find topics that might interest them, while at the same time it allows plenty of opportunity to be as offbeat as we want.

Everyone has the right to make the kind of posts that interests them. I would hope that, in a community of our own, we could at least consider compromising a little bit to make such posting easier for everyone. It doesn't seem to me like that's asking for too much.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Well, I apologize for my opening statement, Reep. It came out harder than perhaps I intended, and your points are valid. So are yours, Cru.

Still, I don't think I like the thought of having this forum only for "serious" discussion of Legion topics. I think that lmiits the creative energy of the forum... significantly. However, that's only one Kid Prime's opinion. I'm sure there will be others.

It just reminds me of the Labradorian's thread back at Legion HQ in which he wanted to limit the "gay" topics there. Is there a difference? Or does that mean we should have a "Gay" section of this board, too, once someone has a problem with it?

--------------------

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think it's a matter of limiting topics. It's a matter of putting the sillier topics in another forum...that's all.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know any of you as well as most of you know each other, so I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes.

I agree with Reep about "departmentalizing" the forums. Why would we have different forums if there is no distinction between them.

I in no way condone limiting ANY topic. But putting them in a specific place does not seem harsh or in any way limiting to one's creativity.

Feel free to tell me to shut up! [Confused]

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd be all for having a forum set aside for the more "scholarly" discussions, because they do tend to get buried, and sometimes I forget topics I've posted on unless I go digging through the back pages. It's not really an issue for me, but what the heck, within Scott and Gary's discretion, this is our playground, not one forced on us by the man so why not be as accomodating as possible?
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

We could call this forum the Time Institute.

Sound scholarly...heh [Big Grin]

Kid Prime
Founder

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, and I'm all for doing whatever everyone else wants to do, when this runs its course.

I still see this as the intellectual equivalent of making certain topics sit in the back of the school bus. I think intellectual segregation is still segregation. And as we've seen in history, "separate but equal" facilities aren't equal at all. Anything but. I'm uncomfortable with this. I know it's hyperbole, but I really do see this as the Legion Message Boards equivalent of whites not wanting to live next door to blacks. Let's just put all the funny, whimsical topics in a ghetto where we won't have to look at them anymore.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Methinks I will agree to disagree with you on this and leave it at that. As I do not want to get into a back and forth on what I exactly think of your parallels in your last post.

Maybe changing the other forum to the LMBP hangout might work too. With a slight adjustment to the explanation of the forum.

Just suggestions.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.