Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » DISCUSSION: Should this forum be used primarily for “serious” topics? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: DISCUSSION: Should this forum be used primarily for “serious” topics?
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
I come to this message board to talk about a comic book that I like. I go to Peegs.com to talk about Indiana Basketball. I go to Cubs.com to talk about Cubs baseball. I don't think I have ever talked about comic books at those two places, much like I usually don't talk about basketball and baseball here.

I'm usually not serious on any of those boards, but there is a time for that too I guess.

To me, a comic book forum is the appropriate place for whimsical topics and fanciful threads. If a serious post or two gets thrown in, then I am all for those too.

But a guy like me is going to look at those serious threads and try to find humor. I like to laugh and smile. Sometimes I smile then I laugh. I like hamburgers and if you are going to practice music underwater, I would suggest something other than a woodwind. Maybe a nice string or percussion would work better.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
Still, I don't think I like the thought of having this forum only for "serious" discussion of Legion topics. I think that lmiits the creative energy of the forum... significantly. However, that's only one Kid Prime's opinion. I'm sure there will be others.

I guess I don't see how it would limit the creative energy if we had one "Serious Legion forum" and one "Silly Legion forum," for lack of better names. I mean, does seeing a thread about "Should Imra be held accountable for telepathically controlling the other Lost Legionnaires?" inspire you to start a thread about "If blondes have more fun, should Imra loosen up?" Maybe it does. I don't really understand where the inspiration for some of the wackier threads come from. Is it any more restrictive than having a separate forum for Legion fan art and fan fiction?

On the other hand, is it completely fair to force people not interested in wacky threads to wade through them, searching for serious topics that might interest them, when we could just as easily place the serious topics all in one place?

quote:
It just reminds me of the Labradorian's thread back at Legion HQ in which he wanted to limit the "gay" topics there. Is there a difference? Or does that mean we should have a "Gay" section of this board, too, once someone has a problem with it?

In all honesty, if enough people were truly bothered by all of the "gayness", then yes, I think the matter should at least be discussed. It doesn't mean that "gay topics" should be or would be quarantined into its own section. But if people have legitimate concerns, I think that they should at least be addressed, which is all Reep seems to be asking for.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
First things first: I would have no great objection to having this as the serious/academic discussion board. Reep was clear that he did not want to step on any toes, and his points are taken. Personally, I like the funny stuff; there's so much misery in the real world. I'm a prime offender for taking threads off-topic and into the stupid zone; speaking for myself, I am quite willing to try and accomodate the wishes of the group If LW chooses to have a serious-only board.

However, ***sigh*** did any series of posts ever trigger more smart-ass reponses in my mind than this one?

And I am being serious now: when you say No Whimsy Here, it almost begs for the rule to be broken. How and where do you draw the line on "serious"? I don't think it's feasible to have a hard and fast rule, unless Torquemada registers and agrees to be a moderator. (He was the Spanish Grand Inquisitor, in case someone doesn't know - a My Church, My Rules sort of guy.) So, despite everyone's best intentions, it may not be a perfect Legion World whatever may be decided. In the meantime, take a deep breath, count to 10 and bump your post.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
It helps if posters follow the topic of the thread (except of course non-sequitor lad). The same applies to the forums.

Without putting out new "rules," simple wording of forum topics would take care of any whimsical versue serious issue wouldn't it?

On the old board, a poster would have to try pretty hard to push all the topics off the front page, this one has fewer threads per page. It's simply a matter of encouraging self awareness to those that occasionally go on thread creation rampages. They will respect the wishes.

What was this thread about?

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reep
Resigned

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reep           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev Em:
We could call this forum the Time Institute.

Sound scholarly...heh [Big Grin]

I thought about The Time Bubble.

Kid Prime, there already is forum segregation, (which is a very loaded term whenever used, as is "serious" - serious comic book discussion can be fun without the whimsical.)

We've had a taste of anarchy at Rob's. I'm hoping we've learned from that the critical need to allow different people their different spaces. Requesting that whimsical stuff primarily be posted elsewhere or at mostly MMB is recognizing our differences, it's not punishment or anything resembling true disenfranchisement.

Because if we don't allow us our different spaces, I tell you, we're going to eventually have another bad confrontation like Rob's MB meltdown.

We have to respect our differences and that requires the maturity to not flood-post were others don't want you to.

Some of us consider it a form of spamming. I get close to that opinion at times. And I really don't want to be that way. But if it's constantly there...

Members have to respect each other enough to not adopt a "Rob-MB-esque" carte blanche attitude to their posting, that anything goes because nobody's stopping them.

NOBODY wants a lockdown here, but carte-blanche attitudes will eventually cause this, if only from angry reactions to it's disrespect.

And that's all it comes down to: respect for others.

Balance spontaniety with consideration for others.

[Chameleon Boy]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reep
Resigned

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reep           Edit/Delete Post     
It seems some posters are assuming absolutes in my opinion when I've been explicit in using relative language because that reflects my opinion.

I'm not for turning this into a dead-serious forum. I want it to remain the fun-serious forum it has been.

But a flood of, IMO, inappropriate whimsical topics changes that dynamic into forced FUN-FUN-FUN-FUN! and maybe a little serious back on page two.

It's like we've all been ordered to have FUN! And only one kind of fun.

Achtung, baby?!

Again, whimsy isn't the only form of fun. And if "serious" discussion of Legion and such isn't your form of fun, well, nobody's forcing you to like it. We're not flooding the forum with 20 serious topics in 20 minutes.

Fun's fun. So is seriousness, if it's your cup of tea.

Fun is a multi-facted entity. Like Dr. Mayavale.

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Whoa! Spend 11 hours buried knee deep in data files and reports and you guys get deep. Give me some time to get home and digest all the posts and I'll reply as best I can. I just wanted you to know that this topic isn't going un-noticed by myself. And I'm sure Gary will chime in as soon as he has time.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I still see this as the intellectual equivalent of making certain topics sit in the back of the school bus. I think intellectual segregation is still segregation.

I don't think of it that way. There is no real "back" to this bus -- imagine a round bus if you will, that has no front or back -- just seats! I think Reep's actually worried that he's going to end up being pushed to the back of the bus by all the kids up front fooling around [Wink]

I can understand Reep's pov here and I appreciate his concerns for the board. I think he's just raising an issue he has with the forum and asking people to take it into consideration when posting -- that certain forums are meant for certain things and for each person to use their own judgement about it.

There are different forums for a reason after all, and Reep's putting in his two cents for how he sees them as different so that it would better his enjoyment of the boards (and maybe others). I'd hate to see him or others like him go away because he can't find the kind of topics he'd like to disucss.

If you want to be silly and post non-sequitor threads that aren't really Legion related or if you want to enter a thoughtful discussion on a character, there's a place to express each side of yourself. And yes, sometimes it can be in the same thread -- Reep's not advocating hard and fast rules, just asking for a quiet corner as well.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
Well said, Drake. I agree wholeheartedly.

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
Torquemada: Let's face it, you can't talk him outta anything.

You know what this place needs right now?

A good food fight, or a really loud fart.

We had a guy in our fraternity, that whenever meetings got like this, you know all serious and stuff, he would lean back in his chair and just fall over backwards. Tension gone, everyone smiling.

As long as Scott and Gary allow me to post on their boards, and I thank them kindly for all their efforts at creating this place, I won't change my style of posting because somebody thinks that a topic should be serious. And I don't expect them to change their posting style to accomodate my strivings for humor. And I'm not going to run around afraid of this board becoming like Rob's boards.

I don't see a problem here. And I don't see a need to create another board either. If you want to make a serious forum, I'll check it out, but I can't make any guarantees that I won't be funny there.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think that anyone is asking you not to be funny in replies to threads.

If I am understanding this correctly, this is talk about threads with the original intent of being not so serious posted on the Mission MOnitor Board thread, rather than here.

I'm sure any of us, if we have a funny comment about even the most serious topic would reply to it in this forum.

Like I said, I don't know any of you that well at all. So I've said my piece on the matter and will now focus my attention on other things?

What's for dinner?

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
My understanding of what is being asked is that the "serious" forum would be the place to post topics such as "Decribe the Character: Cosmic Boy" and "How Do You Pronounce?", while the "not-so-serious" board would be the place for such things as "The Legion of Super-Cheese Villains" and "Insert-Ron Karr" [Smile]

Ultimately I don't suppose it really matters to me one way or the other. I've been scrolling through threads looking for things that interest me for years, so I'm fairly well accustomed to it. However, it would be nice to be able to quickly access the type of posts I'm in the mood for, whether it be something light-hearted to lift my spirits, or something a little deeper to challenge my mind a little more.

Like I said, though, in the end it really isn't that important to me one way or the other, but since it is important to some of the posters, I think it merits discussion, both pro and con [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Princess Crujectra:
"Insert-Ron Karr"

[raises eyebrows]

Now that is an entirely different topic.

Spellbinder
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
[raises eyebrows]
Now that is an entirely different topic.

Oops! Where WAS my mind when I made that post? [Wink]

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm disappointed that this has come up at all.

When one of the forums here becomes "the All-SERIOUS Legion Forum"-- be it this forum or the Mission Monitor Board or even Science Police Headquarters-- I'll be leaving said forum permanently in favor of the less-restrictive forums.

I don't think that's gonna happen. I'll certainly do anything I can to prevent it from happening.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.