Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » DISCUSSION: Should this forum be used primarily for “serious” topics? (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: DISCUSSION: Should this forum be used primarily for “serious” topics?
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
You know, HWW, you quite resemble your namesake in the way you say things. Or so I would imagine.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
You know, HWW, you quite resemble your namesake in the way you say things. Or so I would imagine.

Thanks (I think).

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I remember when the old 'LEGIONNAIRES' board was used to post about the actual 'LEGIONNAIRES' comics. Months before that title's cancellation, the board stagnated, but was reignited not by the LMB- at first- but by many posts about individual Legionnaires and several strictly-Legion fanfictiony posts.

Much as I loved the giddier posts and the 'round robin' LMB threads that gradually took over I missed then (and still do) those earlier Legion-oriented threads.

At the time the LSH board was *truly* a fractured one with really hostile exchanges, mostly directed at poor Maven (it occurs to me that many members here may not even know who that was-- trust me, it's a long story...), so for many of us, posting these 'softer'- but still 'on topic' posts there wasn't really an option.

I think the formation of the LMB was at least partially a reaction to that environment.

I'd hate to see that toxicity duplicated here in any way.

I wonder about the 'headlining' function.

If a poster has a thread that they poured their heart and soul into, and they'd like to see it remain on page 1 beyond the normal 'shelf life' of a thread-- is it kosher to ask Lightning Lad or Nightcrawler to headline it?

Or is that too much of an imposition on LL and NC as well as on other posters?

Should the headlining remain something that LL and NC bestow at their discretion?

Would this create more problems than it would solve?

If a new forum *was* created, I'd like to now humbly propose that it be a permanent 'Who Are You' thread in memory of that seminal posting (by Lardlad) that began the LMB (Legion of Message Board Posters) many moons ago, now.

That forum could also contain a short history of the LMB's formation (in 'real' cyberland, as opposed to the fictional one/ones that have been created), since many new members might have no idea what some of us are posting about at times.

Just a couple of ideas.

TN

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
On the old board, a poster would have to try pretty hard to push all the topics off the front page, this one has fewer threads per page.

If I remember correctly, the old DCMB had 25 threads per page just like we do. The new DCMB has only 20.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
If I remember correctly, the old DCMB had 25 threads per page just like we do. The new DCMB has only 20.

This board has 25 per page? Why it does! Hmmm, must be more new threads started here. I don't remember spending alot of time on page two of the old DCMB like I do here. (I rarely post the new DCMB, it's too slow).
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd really like to add that after a day at work where, quite literally, if I fuck up people will die I REALLY enjoy TDs posts and will skip all the serious nonsense (not an oxymoron, we are on this site to discuss comics after all, remember that please)and revel in her flippancy, humour and obvious genuine love of the caracters and their idiosyncracies... I do get to the more thoughtful posts but if it weren't for TD and Kid Prime and Nardo and Mllash and several other fabulously imaginative people I probably wouldn't be here half as much as I am.

As has been said and said again and again, bump the threads you want to keep on page one if they are that important to you but don't judge which posts are more important to me or anyone else. We all have our own tastes, interests and views on these things so just let the great unwashed decide for itself....

right, I'm going to put my soap box away now.

From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I have thought about this and then taken some time to think about what I would do if I were in a position of power and authority like Scott and Gary. To be honest I think the answer is nothing. Reep makes many good valid and interesting points. He puts his opinion forward with his usual eloquence but that’s just it, it is his opinion. And whilst it is valid, so is TD’s, Mine, Lardy’s or anyone who posts here. I enjoy reading the serious threads on this board. Yet I rarely add to them because by the time I have thought about an answer, someone more quick on the up take than me has usually posted it. I like the silly threads too, but due to the time difference over here, am unlikely to be able to take part. But because I cant take part I don’t ask for the threads to be sidelined into a separate area. We already have areas to discuss non comic related, or non legion related stuff and I never go in there. My choice, simple as that.
Just to set the record straight, a lot of posters have commented on TD’s humour in these posts. I never see it. It zips straight over my head and most of the time I just think, What planet is that girl on? But she give’s pleasure to a lot of posters and that’s good enough for me.

So no I think the mix here is just about right. Reep if you want to keep a topic on the front page you can always bump it up (just like I do with the faraway room) or ask the founders to headline it for you. They seem to be pretty approachable guys, just ask. “Coz them that divinnt ask., divinnt get” [Smile]

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Faraway Lad:
“Coz them that divinnt ask., divinnt get” [Smile]

beautifully put!
From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

but due to the time difference over here, am unlikely to be able to take part

Aren't you guys like five or six houurs AHEAD of us in the States?

You should be able to post your response before we write the thread,....(scratches head) I think.

time travel, sigh

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
quote:

but due to the time difference over here, am unlikely to be able to take part

Aren't you guys like five or six houurs AHEAD of us in the States?

You should be able to post your response before we write the thread,....(scratches head) I think.

time travel, sigh

That's the only problem with cross time posting. Due to the laws of time by posting our answers before you write the question we can, if you then refuse to write the question, cause the entire universe to implode on itself. What then happens is the entire LMBP message board world gets whited out and we have to reboot onto a new, similar looking, but different message board world
[Confused] [Smile] [Confused]

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
What then happens is the entire LMBP message board world gets whited out and we have to reboot onto a new, similar looking, but different message board world
[Confused] [Smile] [Confused] [/QB]

Hm. Makes you wonder how many times this has ALREADY happened.

[cue the "Twilight Zone" theme]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
You're on to something here, guys. Maybe we should all go to Zulu time.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.