Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Spaceopoly » And one shall surely be retconned! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: And one shall surely be retconned!
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Sort-of a new discussion game.

I'll throw out 2 Legionnaires at random.

You pick one of those Legionnaires to be completely retconned out of Legion history.

Tell why you made your pick.

I thought it might be interesting to see which Legionnaires are indispensable to LSH history.

first two...

FERRO LAD

or

KARATE KID

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
Karate Kid; Ferro Lad's death had such a huge impact pre-boot, much more than KK's.

Plus, I think Projectra would have been a stronger character as well.

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Danny, my pick exactly for the exact same reason.

I'd have to select Val to be retconned out.

The death of Ferro Lad was FAR too important an event in LSH history to retcon out.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm... did Val play a key role at any point that would have drastically altered things if he hadn't been there? I can't think of any...

And who would Projectra have hooked up with with no Karate Kid in the picture?

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
My first reaction is to pick Ferro Lad - although his death was a crucial story, somebody else could be tossed to the fiery pit in his place, and serve the same purpose.

I never found Ferro to be a very interesting character - he's shown a bit more potential lately, but overall Karate Kid has been more attractive as a legionnaire.

Ferro's key characteristics: he's strangely disfigured, and trying to deal with it; post boot added other elements - his 20th century origin and his youth relative to other legionnaires. I never found any of these characteristics to be exploited in a very captivating manner. Also, his power isn't as interesting (to me) as Karate Kid's. I enjoy "normal" people acting in a superhero context - such as Batman or Green Arrow.

Pre-boot Karate Kid was not only a legionnaire without a superpower, beyond his training, he was the commoner - and no honourable lineage, either; his father was a villain - who fell in love with and won the princess. This story might not have worked as well with someone more distinguished. Both pre-boot and post, Karate Kid has been the contemplative warrior and a character indifferent to financial gain (emphasised more post-boot). No one else has fulfilled this role - although it's not crucial to any story, it's a distinctive element.

Is he indispensable? No - the key stories involving him, like Ferro, could have been adapted for some other legionnaire with a few changes. But for personal preference, I would keep Val and retcon Andy.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Now Cramey, I can't let you off so easily! WHICH Legionnaire do you envision being tossed to the fiery pit and taking Ferro Lad's place in Legion continuity/history?

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

Jeepers! I just realized which Legionnaire would be perfect to win Jeckie's heart in a Valless Legionverse!

Tenzil!

He fulfills the opposite ends of the social ladder criterion, plus he eventually ended up marrying into royalty anyway!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I would get rid of Karate Kid.

I don't think he adds as much to the Legion as most of the others. True, Batman is a cornerstone of the JLA even without superhuman powers, but Batman isn't just about martial arts -- he's also known as the world's greatest detective, and he contributes more to the team (and crime-fighting generally) in regard to his brains than to his other considerable skills.

Plus, I've never liked the name. If you had mastery over nearly all forms of martial arts from a myriad of different planets, why would you describe yourself solely by reference to one particular kind from one planet? Even if that were your sentimental favorite, or the one martial art you found most effective, I wouldn't think you'd limit your self-image in that way...

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Now Cramey, I can't let you off so easily! WHICH Legionnaire do you envision being tossed to the fiery pit and taking Ferro Lad's place in Legion continuity/history?

If it's pre-boot and the character is going to bite the dust in the Big Sacrifice to Save the Universe, I would have tossed out one of the Subs for that story - specifically, Fire Lad. That would be a nice irony, meeting his death in a Suneater.

Post-boot... are we looking for a character to fulfill the role of youngster from the 20th century? I would take Impulse, I liked his interaction with the Legion in that one story. Or an established character to play the physically deformed, somewhat shy and lacking in confidence legionnaire? Well, what better place for Infectious Lass to step in? Not physically deformed, but people might well turn away at the sight of her and be repulsed by her. She, naturally, would be lacking in confidence as a member of a feared and rejected race. Romance with Val, and voilà!

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Eryk, I like the way you think!

Nice scenarios, Cramey.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Let's try one a wee bit harder..

Which one would you choose to retcon out:

STAR BOY

or

DREAM GIRL

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

Got to go with Star Boy!

Dreamy's visions have played a key role in too many stories to do without!

I'd imagine she'd join the Subs like in regular (preboot) continuity. Then maybe she could hook up with Stone Boy (who had previously been offered Legion membership and turned it down), and the two of them could return as "Sir Prize" and "Miss Terious" during the Devil's Dozen story.

Eryk Davis Ester

One interesting consequence: no matter which these you pick, it will have the result that the Legion's rule allowing killing in self-defense would not have gone into effect until much later. Hmm... what's the next example of a Legionnaire killing?
Shadow Kid
Talokian Super-Hunk

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadow Kid   Email Shadow Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Easy. Star Boy.

Dream Girl has a unique niche in the legion: a sexpot who is also vastly intelligent and capable. Nura is a great character.

On the other hand Thom's role in the legion is pretty much mirrored by other people such as Gim or Rokk. he's not the most spectacularly interesting person but he gets the job done. Power wise, he wouldn't be missed. In his thirty-forty year history DnA are the only writers who have ever made his powers really cool. I've really liked the reboot Thom. I think the writers have done a good job making him a strong likable character. Nura is just better.

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
What about rebooting them into the same character?

Star Girl of Xanthu. Powered by a rogue comet with astrological prescience and gravity powers.

[no]

Ah, who am I kidding. Hands off both of them! No-one's rebootin' Thom or Nura!! [Wink]

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.