Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Spaceopoly » And one shall surely be retconned! (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: And one shall surely be retconned!
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Yow! Tough choice!

But...I'll retcon out Violet. Her big story pre-boot was the sens-tank deception; post-boot Emerald Vi - as I recall them. Tasmia fought against Mordru, the Black Circle, Darkseid. She hooked Mon-el/Valor and kept him from going totally off the rails at times. She was part of the Lost team, and played that role more effectively than I think Violet could have - not just due to powers but to personality. She had a distinctive world, with relatives and personal enemies that persisted throughout Legion history. (We haven't seen much of Imsk since... when? 1965?) Her personality and appearance made her stand apart from the other legionnaires and became part of the story when her temper or standoffish attitude dictated her behaviour.

I believe Tasmia has been a lot more developed than Vi as a character and to lose her would throw away a large chunk of 30th/31st century lore.

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
This IS a difficult one.

On the one hand, we have the whole Violet/Duplicate Boy, Yera/Colossal Boy, Sens-Tank thingie.

Then we have Tasmia, whom I just like more, ESPECIALLY postboot.

I hated the results of the 'Emerald Vi' storyline post-boot-- therefore I will let it be the deciding factor. I would retcon out Violet.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Difficult to choose between the two although I think both are expendable (sorry Arachne!) Of the two I would probably keep Vi. She is more integral to some major storylines. She's the tie to the Heroes of Lallor; she provided the form that Gim fell for, leading to the first interspecies marriage; tie in for the Imsk/Braal wars which effected so much of Legion history.

Shady was little more than Mon's girlfriend in the preboot, and really not much more of interest in the postboot (IMHO). Not sure that her role needs to be filled but, if so, we have her cousin waiting in the wings. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
I'd ditch Violet for the same reasons that Fat Cramer stated so eloquently.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I like both characters so much that I can't see eliminating either.

I do want to point out that Shady was the original shameless hussy. In her first story, she has the hots for Brainiac 5. Then when she realizes he doesn't return her affections, she goes after Mon-el. I believe Duo Damsel or Superboy has a thought balloon about this when the four of them travel back to Smallville to escape Mordru. Also in this Story, you see that Duo Damsel has a crush on Superboy, but she later settles for Chuck. Fickle, fickle girl Legionnaires [Wink]

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not sure I buy the argument that Tasmia's character is more developed, and not just because Shady is one of my least favorite characters.

Sure, she may have more of a backstory preboot, but what exactly did she do? Arm candy for Mon. Postboot, she has a more distinct personality, if bitchy distinguishes one's personality. We haven't really seen that much backstory on her. Her only real distinction postboot is that she was one of the Lost.

But Vi, think of all the changes her personality went through preboot (and not just because a new writer was aboard)--from wallflower (pun intended) to cranky survivor to Imskian conscientious objector (I know, a little late, but...) to Ayla's lovah to wounded war vet. By Zero Hour, she was one of the most developed characters in the Legion as well as one of the longest serving. All without wearing a black bikini OR thong.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

You make an excellent case for pre-boot Violet, Arms.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll have to pick Vi over Shady as well. Not just for what armsfalloffboy said, but because she seems more central to the team. Shady preboot was mostly just Mon-el's "lover" and postboot mostly hung on the outskirts being grumpy.

Preboot if there was no Vi, there'd be no Yera (or she would have had to replace someone else which means she might've ended up with someone else) and Ayla would miss a huge part of her characterization. And who knows how Venado Bay might've ended if she weren't there to save Rokk's life. Postboot, there'd have to be a new explanation for the team being thrown into the 20th century, which not only lead to Ferro on the team, but Computo and Robotica.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

quote:
Originally posted by Varalent:
Difficult to choose between the two ...

What tipped the scale in Vi's favor?

Vi...Venado...Vee...very simple choice, when you look at it this way! [Big Grin]

--------------------

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

latecomers, feel free to comment on the previous rounds, but here's a new one.

This time, I'm using 2 post-boot ONLY characters. And one shall surely be retconned... but which one is more expendable in your eyes and why?...

SHIKARI

or

KID QUANTUM (Jazmin Cullen)

--------------------

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Even worse, Lash! You make me think too early in the morning...

I'd retcon out Kid Q. Trying to remember if she played a critical role in defeating some villain and I don't know that she did.... She seems to be important to Legion history because she's around a lot as leader, but I don't know that her presence really changed anything. Of course, next week she'll probably save the entire universe and I'll eat my words.

Shikari was crucial to getting the Lost team back, without which we'd have half a Legion. Without her and the other Kwai, would we have had threshold technology? Much as I dislike it for the way it's used for sudden end-of-story rescues, it may be a big development in the 31st century stories - depends what future writers do with it.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Gotta agree with FC. Shikari is by far the more important character. Kid Q really adds nothing to the story that couldn't be provided by one of the others. In a sense she's the Chemical King of the postboot. The writers can't seem to figure out what her powers do. In Condo's case they killed him off, in her case, they seem to do whatever the writer needs done in that particular story.

--------------------

Mackaybear

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mackaybear   Email Mackaybear         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd have to say Shikari should go. She's an updated Dawnstar and not well done in my opinion. Her whole race can do what she does . I've not seen her developed as much as she could've been.

Jazmin's got a lot more potential here. But I too would like to see a more defined set of powers. She's shown determination, loyal, strength of character and managed to do a decent job as Leader despite not being a Legionnaire for long.

But this too is a tough choice. Both have a lot of potential.

--------------------
Questions of morality are often matters of taste

From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.