Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Spaceopoly » BATTLE of the 80s SONGS! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: BATTLE of the 80s SONGS!
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Each round, one classic 80s song will go up against another and WE determine the victor! The game continues as long as there is interest! New rounds daily (or so).

ROUND ONE

GHOSTBUSTERS by Ray Parker, Jr

vs.

I WANT A NEW DRUG by Huey Lewis & The News

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Both songs are pretty crappy, but I'm going to give this one to Huey Lewis & the News for 2 reasons.

a) It was the original that Ghostbusters (illegally) sampled from

b) The video features Huey lookin' pretty hot in his boxers

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
Huey, definitely. I don't want to get sued or anything, plus "Sports" was one of my favorite albums when I was a wee lad. I don't remember if "I Want A New Drug" was on it or not, I'm just saying.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magnetic Boy
Rokk 'N Roll

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magnetic Boy           Edit/Delete Post     
[Cosmic Boy] Ghostbusters was a fun movie when I was young but I like men in their boxers so I Want a New Drug too! [Cosmic Boy]

--------------------
Visit Myriad's Legion of Alt-IDs in Bits and LW Directory in the MMB

From: Delegate of Braal | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I've never heard Huey Lewis' 'I Want A New Drug' and never knew the Ghostbusters song sampled it. Therefore I don't believe you! [Wink]

My vote's for Ghostbusters.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll go by what I feel is still listenable today and that would have to be 'I Want a New Drug'.

While I like both songs 'Ghostbusters' just hasn't held up as well.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Looks like Huey Lewis & the News take this round.

ROUND 2

I Want Candy by Bow Wow Wow

vs.

We Got The Beat by the Go-Go's.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Both songs are drum-heavy good-time larks that I like, so this is hard for me.

But I think I'm going to give the slight edge to teen nudists Bow Wow Wow. A true classic song!

--------------------

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm right there with you Lash. Both of these capture the same feeling, to me.

But I'll go with 'I Want Candy'. Besides, didn't one of the teen boppers just remake, and butcher, 'We Got the Beat'?

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penetrable Girl
Just A Phase?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penetrable Girl           Edit/Delete Post     
[Phantom Girl] I'm struggling with most of these anyway but I've never heard of Bow Wow Wow. Therefore, I vote the Go-Gos! [Phantom Girl]

--------------------
Visit Myriad's Legion of Alt-IDs in Bits and LW Directory in the MMB

From: Delegate of Bgztl | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I feel like I've heard *of* Bow Wow Wow but I wouldn't have a clue what they've ever sung.

It wouldn't matter anyway though because I absolutely love the Go-Gos and especailly 'We Got The Beat'!

WE GOT THE BEAT!

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I like both songs about equally. But I'll give the nod to the Go-Go's since they wrote their tune and "I Want Candy" was a cover.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
THE LABRADORIAN
THE LEGIONS' GREATEST HERO

Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE LABRADORIAN           Edit/Delete Post     
i'll go for the topless 16 yr old
Though she aint that attractive, at all.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

"Never heard of Bow Wow Wow...?!!!" You younguns today, I swear! With your 50 Cents and your Outkasts! BAH! [Wink]

No shit... last night someone played GHOSTBUSTERS on the jukebox! You can imagine my surprise. I was even MORE surprised that I really enjoyed hearing it!

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

We need one more voter to break the tie. I just hate ties!

--------------------

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.