Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Spaceopoly » Translated quotes (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Translated quotes
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I am taking this from a quiz I did on Sporcle.

Below are some quotes that have been translated from English to Japanese then back into English.

Can you figure out what the original quote is?

1) The great power large responsible range it comes depending.

2) The offender is the cowardly lot of superstition, therefore as for my disguise it is necessary to be able to strike fear on their centers. I the night, must be creative ones of terrible black,…

3) Depending upon the brightest day the blackest night badness the badness where my vision does not escape permit the person perhaps the lanthanum light/write of green of my power and worship you are careful,

4) See! On with sky! It' The bird of s.a! It' The plane surface of s.a!

5) It' The time when it strikes without the pardon of s

6) It is stronger than [herakuresu], it is beautiful as Athena which is faster than Mercury as wise Aphrodite

7) To be long the troop has lived!

8) The retaliatory person has gotten together

9) Being Oh highest, me now you raise the wind of the area where you blow, thin therefore I may fly

10) The necessity which you fear is loser here, it is not.

If you liked these make some of your own at BabelFish

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
1. With great power comes great responsibility.

2. Criminals are a superstitious cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts. I must be a creature of the night, black, terrible...

3. In Brightest Day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight, let those who worship evil's might, beware my power, Green Lantern's light

4. Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane!

5. Time waits for no man?

6. beautiful as Aphrodite, wise as Athena, stronger than Hercules, and swifter than Mercury.

7. Semper Fi?

8. What goes around, comes around?

9. You are the wind beneath my wings?

10. The only thing to fear is fear itself?

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm thinking 5 is "It's Clobberin' Time" and 8 is "Avengers Assemble".

7 has to be "Long Live the Legion".

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

ah. for some reason, it didn't occur to me that they were all comic-related.

in that case, #9 looks like something from the Isis TV show.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Could be.

I keep leaning towards "Have no fear, Underdog is here" for #10.

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent:
ah. for some reason, it didn't occur to me that they were all comic-related.

in that case, #9 looks like something from the Isis TV show.

That would be "O zephyr winds that blow on high, lift me now, so I can fly."

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow ... now I have the theme song from the old Electa Woman and Dyna Girl show in my head for some reason.
[Hmmm?]

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I think number 10 is, "There's no need to fear, Underdog is here!"

Thanks to Miner for pointing me in the right direction! I would not have gotten it otherwise!

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

And thanks right back to you for nailing the exact quote!

--------------------

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
#8 = Avengers Assemble

That's my guess.

#7 = Long Live the Legion

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
You have them all now. Some were easy due to key words.

If Loser Lad comes back, he should adopt #10 as his rallying cry.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Here are some more. They are all TV catchphrases.

1) And because some now it differs completely

2) Inside that, inside that - the captive of straight to month

3) Peel lady we are necessary

4) Work to that

5) There is no soup because of you

6) Concerning that patsy regrettable

7) I desire the fact that vowel is bought

8) At courthouse at that time back section

9) This tape disappears automatically within 5 seconds

10) That was the person who is covered who?

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

1. And no for something completely different

5. No soup for you!

7. I'd like to buy a vowel

9. I assume is Mission: Impossible's "this tape will self-destruct in five seconds," but I'm too lazy to look up the exact quote.

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

10) "Who was that masked man?"

6) "I pity the fool."

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

So far everthing correct except for Miner's guess on #6.

I had tried "I pity the fool" but this is what came up: "I pity the idiot"

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.