Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Lash's Good, Old-Fashioned X-FORCE/STATIX thread (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Lash's Good, Old-Fashioned X-FORCE/STATIX thread
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Phat, like every other member and benefactor of the team, died. [Smile] He died saving the others at the end of the 'Back From the Dead' arc.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Of note is that Vivsector & Doop died off-camera. I guess Milligan wanted Tike & Guy's big scene to be "larger than life"... it worked for me... I really had no desire to see Doop, Myles and the others die, even when I knew it was coming.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Future
The Present is Past

I agree with Lash. Getting scene after scene of X-Static after X-Static dying would have been much too harsh and uncalled for.

Vivisector never really was the star, though a great guy, and I'm glad it reflected in his death. Doop was so mysterious and omnipotent in a way that I'm glad we will never know just HOW such a mighty creature could fall.

Tike & Guy's exit was fabulous. I liked how we got simple nods and gestures that they were friends and respected each other without both of them becoming so sentimental they'd read out-of-character. Milligan stayed true to the end.

Well, we've come full-circle. These guys grew on me, something I never thought possible when they were replacing my beloved X-Force, and I'm overjoyed that we had these characters in our lives for at least a few years. I still miss Edie something awful. What a great series.

A+

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Something else of note: Lacuna may be the only recurring member of the cast to survive this series.

As I quite like her, I hope to see her around the Marvel universe somewhere. She's SO powerful, in an understated "Not in your face" way.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Kid Psychout
Your mind is my playground

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Psychout   Email Kid Psychout         Edit/Delete Post     
Lacuna is great. Especially as a fame-hungry mutant who is on tv rather than 'crime fighting'.

Kinda ironic that the book introduced 3 openly gay characters ( 2 shown in relationships, even if Bloke was only around fer a very short while)and killed every single one of them.

I had a soft spot for Phatt and would have liked to see him cross over into one of the other books.

From: Melbourne, Auz. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ActorLad
Un-Famous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ActorLad           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, I'm glad that Lacuna's still around. She's a fun character.

--------------------
ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!

From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I liked Phat too, Kid

--------------------

Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Have you seen the Doop figure that comes with the Deadpool action figure in Marvel's Legends toy line? I really want it but can't find it anywhere!
From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
235 - Andy S
Check out the VOTE-A-MATIC now!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 235 - Andy S   Author's Homepage   Email 235 - Andy S         Edit/Delete Post     
Just read the last issue of X-Statix today.

And it's sad, but it pisses me off that this book was taken off the market and Marvel decides to put out a dozen or so X-Spin-Offs that sound like putrid 90s fungus someone forgot to bleach off the taste buds.

UGH UGH UGH

I just want to piss on someone.

Thankfully, I know who to call...

From: Lauderhill, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Actually if I remember right, it was creators Milligan and Allred who decided to end the series as they were ready to move on and didn't think the book would fit well with another creative team at the helm.

I have to agree with them there, I'm much happier with a conclusion from the creators then having the book cancelled randomly four years down the line under someone else's belt without a finish.

...and yes, even as an X-Fan, I'm kind of disgusted by how many solo series/minis they're trying out all at once. None of the five or so out now have appealed to me enough to buy them.

235 - Andy S
Check out the VOTE-A-MATIC now!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 235 - Andy S   Author's Homepage   Email 235 - Andy S         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jesse Future:
None of the five or so out now have appealed to me enough to buy them.

5? Jesse, you give the Marvel editorial staff WAY too much credit. Here's just December:
ASTONISHING X-MEN #8
X-MEN/FANTASTIC FOUR #1
X-MEN #165
UNCANNY X-MEN #453
X-MEN: THE END DREAMERS AND DEMONS #6
X-FORCE #5
EXCALIBUR #8
SABRETOOTH #4
X-MEN UNLIMITED #6
WOLVERINE #23
CABLE/DEADPOOL #10
MYSTIQUE #22
NEW X-MEN #8
NIGHTCRAWLER #4
GAMBIT #5
ROGUE #6
EXILES #55, #56, & #57
ULTIMATE X-MEN
EMMA FROST
JUBILEE
MADROX
DISTRICT X
That's not even counting the trade collections or Ultimate Nightmare & Secret!

I know I can be <slightly> negative when it comes to Marvel & DC's superhero output, but I do think that Marvel in particular has done very little to garner any support from me, and I'm <slightly> bitter over how much money I've already given them over the decades for boxes of colored paper that are probably worth more as donations to charity.

X-Statix was a really great book - one I took great pleasure in reading and savoring - and I think the creators wanting to move on speaks more the level of creative interference they were suddenly experiencing. IMO, the Princess Di storyline went all wrong with their sudden and awkward replacement star. Milligan and Alred are both artists who are probably not used to being over-ruled so cavalierly to the obvious detriment of the end-product.

Not trying to contradict you or anything, I just think the company Marvel has to take some of the responsibility in the loss of this great series.

That being said, I'd love LACUNA to be part of the Avengers or something. Maybe she could do her show from there?

From: Lauderhill, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mars Hottentot
aka Plastic Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mars Hottentot   Email Mars Hottentot         Edit/Delete Post     
They definitely picked the right time although...

PREPARE YOUR STONES

although THEY MADE NO EXPLANATION OF WHAT THE HELL WAS GOING ON!!! That was BULL CRAP!

Okay, Milligan & Allred were over it (that was apparent immediately following 'Back from the Dead'), but couldn't they have had a twist as to WHO whacked X-Statix? It sure as hell wasn't just random terrorists! That doesn't explain Dead Girl's death, does it? And Doop had his BRAIN REMOVED and survived in the previous arc, a missile launched death ain't working for me.

Yes, it was all fun while it lasted but I really feel like they just gave us a 'FU' ending.

I am glad they all croaked. Not that that'll stop Rob Liefield from reviving and revising them for the upcoming 'Grim & Gritty' 90's style comic revival (mark my words, it's coming- five years away tops).

Okay, throw your stones.

--------------------
I love Vol.4
Prepare your stones.

From: Atlanta | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

No stone throwing allowed here. I can see where you would feel this way, easily.

But I kind of liked the whole "Does it matter?" vibe.

--------------------

LyleLyle
hmmmm....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyleLyle   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll miss this book but it had a good run, I'm glad the creators got to decide the ending instead of the team fading into obscurity and then showing up as Red Shirts in a big crossover.

Too bad about Doop, tho. Would'a been cool for him to survive and stick around for odd cameos.

OTOH, I'm looking forward to the X-title Milligan is taking over, whichever one that is. Hopefully my shop will be smart enough to recommend it for my pull box.

[ September 15, 2004, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: LyleLyle ]

--------------------
Lyle's part-time blogging

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Whoops, sorry that I didn't seem clear before, Andy. I meant all the solo-character series/minis they're trying now...with the likes of Gambit, Jubilee, Nightcrawler, Rogue, etc. I'm nowhere near surprised by how many X-related titles there are...it's kind of a sad fact this day and age. [Frown] No worries about being negative...we all toss cash on books for longer than we probably would have liked to sometimes. X-Statix luckily never went that way for me.

As for the people responsible for X-Statix's death...I have mixed feeling about it being from terrorists. On the one side, they've been some of the most constant forces the team has been idly whipping off-panel or as an aside to a characterization moment...it's kind of ironic for them to meet their end that way. Not to mention, the team never really was big on super-villains (save for a few rogue mutants & alien astronauts) so much. Then again on the other side, we didn't really have some big, grand challenge or threat take the team out. They finally just all got a bad card at the same time and that was that.

I second the return of Lacuna somewhere! Great, great character, power, personality...everything!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.