Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Lash's Good, Old-Fashioned X-FORCE/STATIX thread (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Lash's Good, Old-Fashioned X-FORCE/STATIX thread
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Comics reading just isn't as kewl without my monthly dose of X-Statix.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I just recently reread the entire runs of X-Force/X-Statix and the Arcudi/Huat Doom Patrol when I was going through my boxes to file stuff/shift boxloads.

*sigh*... [Frown]

[ December 26, 2004, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Pov of Nine ]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not-So-Bad Lad
Secret Honorary Auxiliary Substitute Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Not-So-Bad Lad   Email Not-So-Bad Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I picked up the New X-Force right from the start, and I'll admit: Other than LSH, it was the only comic I'd go out of my way to get every month. I adored how Orphan warped and changed over the run. I loved the whole feel of the comic (It was wonderful. I had a soft spot for Bloke the minute I was him, and then he died. I was sad, but it really fits, doesn't it? Throw a half dozen ill trained camera hogging grandstanding mutants into a fight and people WILL die.) Cheers to X-Statix, may it forever live in our fond memories.

Oh, and pop quiz question: anyone know the name of the X-Statix applicant Corkscrew killed? I read it on a X-Board a while back and it sorta stuck with me [Smile]

[ December 27, 2004, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: Gold_Leader ]

--------------------
"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot

From: The Evil Anti-Moon!!!! | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm...can't remember, darn it. I even remember the issue and can see Corkscrew in my head.

As for Orphan, you do know he was Mister Sensitive again before the book ended, right?

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not-So-Bad Lad
Secret Honorary Auxiliary Substitute Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Not-So-Bad Lad   Email Not-So-Bad Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
yes. he changed back. but to me he'll always be the revolver spinning orphan, no matter how much he changed [Smile]

--------------------
"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot

From: The Evil Anti-Moon!!!! | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, one more Marvel title I don't have to buy anymore. I was only onboard for Mike Allred, anyway.

So-- anyone buying his NEW series?

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

What would that be, prof? I haven't heard what's next for Mr. A...

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

He's doing an adaptation of the BOOK OF MORMON. I've heard the art is stunning, though I'm not going to buy it.

His next project, though, is rumoured to be METAL MEN for DC. Now THAT will be a MUST-BUY!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
He's doing an adaptation of the BOOK OF MORMON. I've heard the art is stunning, though I'm not going to buy it.

Its out. It sucks. But then I can't stand Allred's work anyway. Combine that with Mormonism and you have something that I'd actually burn.

Sorry but his 'art' is a big turnoff to me.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Art is a subjective thing, but it makes me sad to think of a soul who is "turned off" by Allred's peppy pop-art! Well, he's so different from the norm he's certainly not going to appeal to everyone.

I personally am not buying his Book of Mormon adaptation due to the subject matter.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I sincerely doubt I'm the only one here who bought X-STATIX: DEAD GIRL # 1.

SPOILERS!!!

It's really more of a Dr. Strange tale, isn't it? And Stephen is pretty amusing here, following the Giffen/DeMatteis take in the current DEFENDERS mini.

And as Mockingbird EVER loked more hot than on that last page? >whew!<

--------------------

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
X-STATIX PRESENTS DEAD GIRL #1

Dr. Strange and Wong were a hoot. I didn't even notice that Dead Girl was a no-show till the end of the book.

The only wrong note was Miss America. I know the 'dead' aren't necessarily the same characters as they were when living, but Madelaine seemed completely divorced from any previous appearance.

That's a quibble, as this looks to be a fun mini. Imagine that

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Can't wait to get this! C'MON, February shipment!

I'm updating the thread title for the Deadgirl mini.

--------------------

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
X-STATIX PRESENTS DEAD GIRL #2

Wacky and still a hoot. Dr. Strange as the object of dead gals lust... gigglesnort. "Yes and since I've been with you, I haven't given one thought to my hemorrhoids." I laughed out loud, something I don't do that often when reading.

I was a little disappointed by the treatment of the Whizzer and Miss America (though her 'racist' tendencies make perfect sense, timeline wise- they just seem a poor fit for the character). Phantom Rider was fun.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

WOW-- I'd buy a Milligan-written DR. STRANGE book in a hot minute! That hemmoroids line was absolutely priceless!

The Dead girl as meat creature was so grotesque, yet hilarious. This is frickin' brilliant.

Though I'm still not sure how Dead girl actually could die anyway. Oh, well, no matter.

Yeah, the Miss America stuff is fitting timewise, but it's still no fun to see a "hero" act like this, especially one that I've been fond of in the past. But Milligan likes to play with racial themes, and it IS interestng to see Tyke's reactions to the 40s sentiments.

Considring what The Phantom Rider did to Mockingbird during her WCA stnt, I'm not sure I like what has the potential to develop here.

This book is an "A" so far. great stuff.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.