Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Any recommendations (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Any recommendations
thor2168
Cute-Baby-Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thor2168   Email thor2168         Edit/Delete Post     
I have recently returned to comic collecting within the last year. I am finding it a bit disheartening. I does not seem to be what it was, and not in a positive way. So I need a few shout outs on what to take a look at. I of course have the Legion , or did, and will. Teen Titans , but that is starting to lose some of it's luster for me lately. Looking forward to the cross over though. Fables . JSA . Recently dropped Robin, JLA, all X titles, Amazing Fantasty(too slow moving). Liked Captain Marvell but the last issue sucked!
So any helpful hints? Thanks.

--------------------
I just can't BLOK it out!

From: The land of toys and stinky diapers!!! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm liking Bite Club so far. Sounds like you dropped it, but Astonishing X-Men is really quite good. Runaways was good. Ex-Machina is cool. She-Hulk is fun.
From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
A few that I enjoy and reccomend to everyone:

Birds of Prey
She-Hulk
Astonishing X-Men
Ultimate Spider-Man
Amazing Spider-Man
Marvel Knights Spider-Man
Daredevil
the Pulse
Catwoman (although the current writer is leaving)
Gotham Central
Flash (the best comic book on the market right now IMO)
Hawkman
Outsiders

And you're already collecting Legion, JSA and Fables, which are all great reads. These are the best in the biz right now IMO, even though I do collect a whole lot more.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
SHE-HULK is my fave comic of all right now. Highest possible recommendation.

BIRDS OF PREY is darn good too.

OUTSIDERS rocks.

HAWKMAN is making me take notice lately. The new creative team is faboo.

FLASH under Geoff Johns has been steadily good.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The new creative team on Hawkman is pretty awesome! It has it's own distinct 'feel', and both Hawkman and Hawkgirl have their own distinct personalities (and both very likeable). And the art is totally amazing.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
I recommend:

Birds of Prey
Hawkman
Outsiders
Astonishing X-Men
Thor:Son of Asgard

My 5 fave titles right now!!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm going to ring in my 2 cents worth for Birds of Prey - hubba hubba art and excellent characterization.

I dropped all X books too, but recently started with Astonishing XMen #1. I believe #4 just came out. The Kitty-Emma dichotomy is delicious.

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thor2168
Cute-Baby-Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thor2168   Email thor2168         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks fellow wanna be Legionnaires! I will look into some of those books. I am surprised by the She Hulk one. I have never thought she was handled very well in the Marvel universe, and that had me staying away from the new run out. Now I have to find the money to buy them. And I remember reading somewhere in some thread that it was commented Sandman was overrated. For the record, completely disagree. One of the best written series ever. I wish it were still around...Thanks again. Keep the suggestions coming if any more come top mind.

--------------------
I just can't BLOK it out!

From: The land of toys and stinky diapers!!! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I totally agree about the Sandman. One of the best comic book series ever, and one that would be perfect for a good re-read.

Same goes for Preacher.

Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
Yet another recommendation for Birds Of Prey, simply put one of the best comics you can buy these days (potentially even ever).

Hellblazer and Lucifer are also both absolutely excellent, but maybe not the best for just jumping on. Actually Hellblazer #200 I think is out next month with a new art team which is meant to be accesible to new readers, so it could be a good place to start. *Lots* of back story involved, but I only started reading it when Mike Carey came on board which was about #180 I think and I've not been lost at all. I'm sure I've missed some things, but nothing major.

Lucifer isn't so good for just jumping on with the monthly comic but there are four trades out (might be five now, not sure) and if you enjoyed Sandman then you should love Lucifer too. Mike Carey has taken Sandman as a starting point and created something unique but equally as good.

Planetary is also worth a look, but again start with the trades. *Very* erratic publishing schedule but a genius book for all that.

Queen & Country is very good if you like 'real life' spy stories. Any Hopless Savages of Blue Monday comics (both are done as mini-series rather than regular issues) also from Oni are well worth a look too.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I've read some of the Lucifer trades and agree that they're excellent. I reccomend those as well.
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with a lot of choices here, especially She-Hulk and Bite Club (although BC is just a 6 issue mini). But one missing that you should pick up is The Walking Dead. The best zombie book ever written. I believe the first trade just came out and the second one will be soon. They should be up to issue #9 or #10 now.

The first trade was priced under $10, more than worth the price of admission, even for a black and white comic.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
"Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong."

Icon 1 posted      Profile for l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN   Email l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN         Edit/Delete Post     
here's my 2 cents, if you get a chance to try Negation from crossgen for a non superhero comic IMO i thought that it was one of Crossgen's strongest books. great characters, an emence and epic story through out the whole book that kept me eagerly awaiting the next issue ,great art, etc. to bad Crossgen folded before they finished the Negation War.
anyway go check the back issue bin at the comic shop you frequient, if they're not too pricey deffinately try Negation you might be suprised, you just might like it.

--------------------
Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/

From: Yonkers N.Y | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Thor:

Birds of Prey is indeed excellent. Also, if you want to pick up a deceased Crossgen title, definitely pick up some back issues of Sojourn. (Sadly, the book simply stopped when Crossgen self-destructed, but it has great characters and maybe the best artwork in any comic ever.)

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Another seconding of great books by the recently deceased CrossGen. Negation was one I got into late but it was a great book.

What I would recommend doing is watching eBay for sets of CrossGen's Edge and Forge which reprinted much of their line.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.