Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Flash (Barry Allen) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The Flash (Barry Allen)
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Been rereading the series. Read from the Death of Iris to the end, and now went back to issue 197.

Great series. I really miss Barry. Would not want to see him return though.

Any other "old school" Silver Age Flash fans out there?

[ September 28, 2011, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Green Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Ah yes. The Mirror Master. The Top. Captain Cold. The Rainbow Raider. Heat Wave. Gorilla Grodd. The Weather Wizard....

...and my all time favorite, the Reverse-Flash.

Wally West just ain't the Flash to me.

--------------------
Percy: [on discovering the secret of alchemy]
Oh Edmund can it be true, that I hold in my mortal hands a nugget of purest GREEN??

"Blackadder"

From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I like Wally...Waid made me like him, but Johns made me like Capt. Cold more...just came to that realization...

Barry is the best though.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Sigh. They are both wonderful characters. Between the 2 of them, more interesting things have happened than to just about any other major heroic character. Barry has even been interesting as a dead/nearly dead/not quite dead yet hero. I haven't read the book in years, but Wally's character arc after Barry's death was compelling and believable.

Here's the problem. DC has f*#!&d over almost EVERY "second generation" hero in it's entire history. My god, look at Infinity, Inc. Look what Johns has now done to Hector Hall. Pol Krinn. The SW6 Legionnaires. Donna Troy/Wonder Girl. Jason Todd. The list is endless.

I loved Barry, but I thought his heroic story came to a conclusion. Maybe Wally's has, too. I don't know. But I am tired of the "kill your children" carnage at DC. Very, very tired of it.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Green Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, I have nothing against Wally West, who had to step into some big shoes. The problem is that I can't think of West without thinking of Kid Flash (whose costume was, IMHO, a lot better than that of the Flash).

Then again, it might just be a matter of taste. I can't think of Nightwing without thinking "Hey, isn't that the guy who used to be wearing little green pants?" Whereas seeing Tim Drake as Robin is very, very believable, to the point where I'm almost thinking of Drake as the "natural" Robin.

(Sidebar: If Superboy could travel to the future to join the LSH, why couldn't Robin have joined as a member? It would be great to see Dick Grayson or Tim Drake interacting with the Legionnaires.)

--------------------
Percy: [on discovering the secret of alchemy]
Oh Edmund can it be true, that I hold in my mortal hands a nugget of purest GREEN??

"Blackadder"

From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Crisis got me more interested in DC. Before I the Legion was the only title I stuck with. Would get Wolfman/Perez Titans on occassion. Also would get JLA on occassion. But most DC that i bought confused me as a kid.

Well after Crisis when I learned that Kid Flash (who i knew from Titans) became the Flash...I thought it was the coolest thing. Some old superhero I didn't care for died a heroic death and his young partner replaced him. Cool! So I really love Wally. And it fit as well. I can't imagine Dick Grayson ever becoming Batman.

(but I can imagine Tempest becoming Aquaman!) [Wink]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
The Flash was one of my favorite titles in the '70s. In fact, I think it was the only non-team book I followed when I was a kid. Wally West is not the Flash to me. I guess that's why I haven't followed the Flash since Wally took over the title.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I read Barry's title sporadically when I was a kid. Barry was the first Flash I knew, but I like Wally and Jay better. I'd rather keep Wally than to get Barry back. If Wally can't be the "Flash" standard-bearer, I'd rather it be Jay.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
I read Barry's title sporadically when I was a kid. Barry was the first Flash I knew, but I like Wally and Jay better. I'd rather keep Wally than to get Barry back. If Wally can't be the "Flash" standard-bearer, I'd rather it be Jay.

Interesting thought, Rockhopper...Only if Jay and Joan get a re-ageing zap...It would be like starting again from scratch

[ January 05, 2006, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: legionadventureman ]

From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
All-Star Flash as young Jay Garrick in modern times? I like that idea.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev Em:
Been rereading the series. Read from the Death of Iris to the end, and now went back to issue 197.

Great series. I really miss Barry. Would not want to see him return though.

Any other "old school" Silver Age Flash fans out there?

So anyone still think the same?
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I've never particularly cared for speedsters for some reason. It's a combination of the fact that "running reallly fast" as a power never excited me and the fact that they're rarely written up to their potential. (because someone moving that fast really should able to beat almost anyone they come across)
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

I still wish he had not returned, but I am enjoying the new mini...and am eternally grateful that Geoff Johns is writing it.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm enjoying it too right now. But the scariest thought I have is "What happens in a few years when Geoff eventually leaves the Flash title again?" Because to justify bringing Barry back in the first place, DC has to make sure every single issue if the best quality possible.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm enjoying it, but I'm not liking the "driven by the death of his mother and conviction of his father to fight crime" angle, can't heroes do the right thing because, I dunno, it's right rather than be driven by some tragedy in their past?

But other than that I'm enjoying it and I'm willing to wait till all five issues are out before I get bent out of shape.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.