Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Flash (Barry Allen) (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The Flash (Barry Allen)
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
After the disappointment of Rebirth I'm purposely not buying the new Flash ongoing.

Watch out for me scrambling to buy back-issues a couple of years down the line when Johns turns this book into the DC lynchpin that he turned Green Lantern into. [Embarrassed]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Francis' art is worth the buy.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
After the disappointment of Rebirth I'm purposely not buying the new Flash ongoing.

Watch out for me scrambling to buy back-issues a couple of years down the line when Johns turns this book into the DC lynchpin that he turned Green Lantern into. [Embarrassed]

Why don't you at least Byrne read the first issue and then decide?
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

^ I don't have a fast enough computer to do that Dev. I wouldn't even know where to look anyway.

My old shop let people read comics in the store so I'd get an idea if a book was one I wanted to follow that way.

I think I'll just follow online reviews for the next few months and then decide whether I want to get into it then.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Preview for issue #2. Looks very cool.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=5158&disp=table

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
#1 was good enough that I'm sticking around for a while. We'll see how things go.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I read #1 a few days ago and enjoyed it. The story was nothing revolutionary but it was well-told and well-drawn by Johns and Manapul. With Geoff haven already given Keystone City its own flavor back during his run with Wally, he looks to give Central City an identity of its own. Lots of table-setting here and not much happening in the way of standalone satisfaction.

This looks to be a much different series than Geoff's Wally West work, and that's a good thing. Even with familiar elements like the Rogues carrying over (and we wouldn't want it any other way!), Geoff is working hard to give us a sense of who Barry is as a character. I feel like this will be a must-read and another feather in Geoff's cap. Hopefully he and Francis will be here for the long haul.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Catching up on DC's most exciting superhero comics, I found myself drawn immediately to the Flash, showing #1 left a bigger mark on me than I first thought. The reason is two-fold: Geoff did everything right in #1 and left his annoying habits at the door, and Frances Manupal's artwork is just incredible to behold.

That continues with #2. Manupal has really emerged as one of the best artists in comics IMO, in about a year's time. You can even see the difference in quality from his beautiful Legion work to now, where its even more dynamic and gorgeous. I think at this point he might be getting close to where I'd pick up anything he did hereafter, even Herbie.

Geoff also shows off his writing talent in the way that originally made me a big fan of his: tight, character driven stories with a ton of characters and lots of fast-paced action. I really like that Geoff began the first arc with this Rogues of the 25th Century storyline, because it seems so out of left field. It goes against expectations that he would jump right into the Rogues or do a more continuity-driven thing. Good for him. A solid Flash story that stands on its own was desperately needed.

The concept is also where Geoff shines: a pretty simple concept that seems natural to the overall scheme of things. If the Flash of the 25th Century (Zoom) is evil, then what if the Rogues were good? Simple yet brilliant.

With GL crossover free and Geoff writing Flash like this, this might a thrilling era of Geoff getting back to what he does best and not doing the things I find so annoying.

Also enjoying the plethora of subplots: Barry at work, taking on cases no one else will and Captain Boomerang about to make an overdue triumphant return. I'd forgotten how pathetic he was at the end, and that he also killed Tim Drake's father. But it happened nonetheless, and I'm glad Captain Cold called him on it.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

That was a beautifully drawn issue. The apartment building thing was great. The end beat was great...it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

The future Rogues are interesting...but I love the real deal in this issue. Dang, Johns has really turned them into stars. They seriously have a mini or something.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I just read last month's issue number 3--what a terrific comic this is shaping up to be! I think Geoff and Francis are hittin' this one out of the park! My favorite two elements of Flash stories are time travel and the Rogues--the introduction of the Renegades combines both of those elements, so I'm in seventh Flash heaven (or should I say the Speed Force)!

I also think Geoff is getting a better grasp on Barry's character. It's pretty subtle stuff, but that works for Barry because he's not an in-your-face kind of hero. I'm also enjoying Iris and Barry as a couple (though her de-aging still bugs me--even though Bart was rapidly-aged, she still raised the Tornado Twins to adulthood, damnit!). Their interaction feels pretty real.

The only thing that bugs me about the Renegades plot is why are they arresting Barry before he supposedly commits the murder? Are they trying to prevent the murder? If that's not their goal, then imprisoning Barry at this point would certainly cause a paradox, wouldn't it?

That aside, it's fun to see a good (though puzzlingly reckless) version of the Rogues from the future. I'm sure the inevitable confrontation between Rogues and Renegades will be lots of fun!

Bring it on!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
It has been a strong book so far, and with "Flashpoint" in the works and the announcement of a Flash-family book for next year it's clear that Johns has a mandate to do for Barry what he did for Hal.

It will be interesting to see if he can pull it off.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
For Jenni's sake, of course.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
After reading #3, I have to say based on the first 3 issues this is a contender for DC's best superhero comic book. Johns and Manupal are just clicking on all levels. I could keep showering praise every issue but I'll just be repeating myself.

Manupal is shaping up to be one of the very best artists in comics. His Iris is stunningly beautiful but not over the top. Barry is handsome and leading manish but not 'pretty' by any means. The Central City 'busy' backgrounds are just fantastic and I could stare at them all day.

I loved the way Geoff is having so many different things going on: the Renegades main storyline, the return of Captain Boomerang, the subplot about Jason Hicks (which shows Barry deals with real cop stuff too) and the big focus on the supporting cast, including Iris. Whereas the GL comic is currently in a very cosmic/grand scale mode still, the Flash comic is still very much down to Earth and grounded to the regular people. Reading them together is a nice combination from one very good writer.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Issue #4 was another great issue. Johns and Manupal, like Cobie says, are producing a really fun honest to God super-hero comic here.

What kills me is that Johns writes this *one great example of how fun comics can be)...and is writing Brightest Day (one of the chief comics that shows whats wrong with comics today).

Blacula
Easy

^ To each his own Dev Em but I think calling Brightest Day "one of the chief comics that shows whats wrong with comics today" is so far from what I consider to be the truth that I have to respond to it.

IMO there are much, much, much, MUCH worse books out there than that one. And also IMO - it's a very fun comic. It may not be fun-Ha-Ha like I imagine Generation Lost might be (I'm not reading it so I don't know) but it's very fun-interesting/exciting in my eyes and I'm fascinated with where the stories of Aquaman/Mera/Martian Manhunter/Hawk/Dove/etc are going in it.

Could I have done without the two instances of ultra-violence? Yes. And I'd like to see much less of that in comics too. But I'm not gonna hold those two incidents against the quality of the rest of the book. Which has been chock-a-block full of story IMO. In fact, I'm gonna flip your comment around and say that I wish MORE comics today had as much going on in them as this one does.

---

Getting back on topic - still kinda regretting not buying The Flash since it has obviously been getting great reviews from all sides, but at the same time I'm kinda happy with myself for making a stand and not blowing my money on certain titles. As the prices keep going up I'm just gonna have to keep making hard decisions like this one.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.