Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Flash (Barry Allen) (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The Flash (Barry Allen)
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
What a beautiful book. The writing and art are truly meshed in this title.

Glad I gave it a try even over my disgust with the Barry/Iris marriage issue and the lack of Wally West in the DCnU.

On board for now.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
I can't believe I'm buying a FLASH book.
I can't believe I'm enjoying a FLASH book.
Francis is really firing on all cylinders!

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I bought 1. It left me kinda flat. Wish Wally was back.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Flash #2: this might be the very best DCnU comic of them all.

Enjoyable on every concievable level and I'm anxiously awaiting for more. This is a series I wish came out every week. All the good things I said on the previous page about #1 are there in #2 and actually improving.

Best artwork & composition of all the DC comics that aren't entitled "Batwoman".

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
#3 continues everything that Cobie praises along with a pretty gripping cliffhanger.

But I'm with Rick, at heart. I don't see why Barry and Wally and Bart (and Jay, but that's a separate gripe, now) can't coexist.

A Rogue seems to have had a former gimmick gun power internalized. But I might be inferring too much.

I'm disappointed with DC going with that brat Axel in the role of Trickster in this DCU, though, to be fair, he's only been called Axel, so far. But he is wearing circus-striped pants...

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Does anyone notice that in Geoff Johns' run on Green Lantern and Flash, the bad guys actually won? Sinestro got the GLC to initiate lethal force, and now HE's a Green Lantern but Hal isn't, and Professor Zoom murdered Barry Allen's mother and framed his father, and because Barry can't change the past but Zoom can it's irreversible.

And in his last story for Teen Titans, Deathstroke played the Titans for saps with his Titan East gambit, to "ensure" the TT would be a good family for Rose and Jericho. And they never found out.

What the hell?

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
CAught up to issue 4 on this. Great book. Beautiful artwork and creative designs.

The story is pretty good...much better than I had thought it would be before it even started.

The Rogues are indeed internalizing their powers (at least some of them will be...I remember reading about it somewhere when the whole DCnU was starting.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Issue 5 is in the bag...and it wraps up the initial Mob Rule arc.

I'm a little torn on the whole thing. It was kind of blah story wise...not bad, but not great either.

The art on the other hand is unbelievable in its execution. It is part of the story.

I will be interested to see where they take Capt. Cold next issue, and the continuation of the revelations at the end of the issue about the speed force.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I actually really loved this opening arc of Flash. In terms of Mob Rule himself (themselves?) it wasn't the greatest thing ever, but in terms of the actual story-telling by Manupal and Buccelato, it really is staggeringly mind-blowing. What I mean is the panel layouts, the pacing, the tone and the constant forward momentum of the entire story-arc were just spot on. Between Barry's back story with Manuel, his interactions with Iris (as both Barry and the Flash), his interactions with the Central City PD CSI division and just the usage of his super-speed in general, it felt like a really complete, complex story.

I'm really impressed by these two creators and what they've delivered. IMO, this is entirely better than what the Barry series was before with Johns.

In a way, I can't really get over DC squeezing out Wally. Even though its been Eight Years, it still stings. But perhaps this is the start; because if its a Barry Allen series that is doing the same things either Waid did with Wally or Johns did with Wally, it will just continue to feel like a slap in the face. But if its a series in a completely different direction--like this one has been so far...well, that might be something I can get behind. That might be something to make me happy to read a Barry Allen Flash comic.

I'd rank the Flash relaunch among my favorite of the whole 52.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Everyone, I've been thinking about this for a while concerning Barry.

I realized, Flashpoint doesn't work as a story. The whole point was that Barry Allen went back in time to stop Professor Zoom from killing his mother, and because he did, he broke reality. This is because, Zoom, as Barry's opposite, generated his own Speed Force, which allowed him to do things Barry and the others couldn't. Like go back in time and change things. That was a point in Flash: Rebirth. The Flash Family can't use their powers to go back in time and change things, it never works.

Not only that, but Barry essentially went back by himself. He didn't plan it out carefully, he didn't talk to Wally, Jay, Max, or Iris about what he was going to do. He did this by himself. And he did it like an amateur.

Geoff John's book was dealing with how Barry had been cutting himself off from the rest of the family for a while. Although, it's not as if Wally and the others didn't try and get Barry to sit down and talk about it. God knows Wally tried harder with Barry than he did when Roy went through some... unpleasantness. And still, Barry did this by himself.

I'm not saying I don't sympathize with Barry for what he was trying to do. Zoom killed his mom, and Barry was just trying to save her. Still, he handled this like a moron. He didn't discuss what he was going to do with anyone, didn't bother to speak to anyone with any experience in time travel or changing the past, or let any of his family in on what he was doing. All Barry cared about was saving his mom and stopping Zoom. But was he doing it for HER sake or just so HE would feel better? Did he even stop to think about the consequences of going back in time and how it might effect anyone else?

I know I cut Roy Harper a lot of slack because of how craptastic his friends acted in Rise, but I really can't see someone like Barry Allen, who's suppose to be on par with the messiah in the DCU, one of the most intelligent and rational of the heroes, doing something so stupid and reckless. Does grief have a part to play in his actions? Maybe, possibly.

Because of Barry the DCU was broken and when he tried to fix it we got the DCnU.

I can't say I was Barry fan before, because of how he seems to represent the unrelenting favoritism towards the Silver Age, but realizing one of his self-professed fanboys, Geoff Johns, write him as so OOC in order for Flashpoint to work doesn't help.

Am I wrong? I'm up to talk about it.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Actually, he was going back in time to undo what Zoom had changed.

Barry, while I agree he may not have thought it through fully, is also more experienced at time travel than all the other Flashes combined. the one person/people he should have talked to is Booster and Rip...although only Batman knew what they were up to, so that wasn't really an option.

I'd have to go back and reread it to really comment further, but I seem to think that he just returned from the dead (so he may be a little out of sorts), was immediately involved in Final Crisis, then went into Blackest Night. Followed by the man that killed his wife coming back to life as well (for seemingly no reason that he knew of - the white light just chose him) and then had his mother killed when she hadn't really been killed.

So, given what I just remember off the top of my head, he was dealing with a lot of crap, and reacted from the gut.

Aside from that, it's what Johns needed him to do to set up Flashpoint, and in turn the new DCU.

Dev - Em
KIA

In regards to Barrys' sainthood status...that was all developed after he died. he was never the all knowing hero. He killed his arch nemesis, and tool off to the future afterward.

It's something that attached itself to him after he sacrificed himself to save the universe. It was a selfless act to be sure...but the sainthood thing developed over time. There is no way that he could ever have lived up to it. He was never that type of hero...he was just a man that did the best he could.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree that (A) Barry has been written OOC under John's pen, and (B) the plot of Flashpoint was pretty silly and doesn't hold up.

The sequence where Barry had Thomas Wayne electrocute him? Sure it might have looked cool (to 13 year olds). But how ridiculously stupid was that?

Sarky, you're on to something calling DC out on their bullshit.

Dev - Em
KIA

Barry was totally written to fulfill Johns purposes, and honestly...fans of Wally should be glad that Wally took a backseat to that. I agree that Flashpoint was bunk, but there you go.

That being said, and I am a huge Barry fanboy, I wish he had not come back at all in the old DCU. I am however enjoying what they have done so far in the DCnU Flash book...and no, I cannot believe I am saying that.

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

I never realized the sainthood thing only came about after he died. And, yes, I think maybe it was a gut reaction because of the crap he had to deal with.

Final Crisis - Rebirth - Blackest Night

I can see what you mean in terms of emotional burdens. He comes back, learns Zoom effectively changed time and killed his mother, then learns Ronnie, Ralph, Sue, and Solovar are all dead and reanimated as corpses at the behest of the personification of the void.

But I still think Barry should've talked about this with Jay, Max, and Wally, and maybe even Bart. Regardless of their experience in time travel (hell, Bart's from the 31st Century), going up against Zoom by himself after the good professor put most of them through the ringer in Rebirth seemed incredibly stupid. And, there is of course, Superman, when you realize that a good chunk of his childhood was spent in the 31st Century.

Gut reactions regardless, I find it hard to think Barry suddenly decided "have to go back, have to stop Zoom, have to save Mom" like it was all he could think of. It probably wasn't a random idea. He'd have to have put some thought into it beyond going from point A to point B. He's a forensics scientist, and it's been stated that he's the one who always took the longest to make sure everything was thought out.

There's also something else that's been nagging me regarding Flash: Inertia and Owen Mercer.

I'm starting to get on board with those fans who're mad at recent writers, specifically Johns, for what he did with them. Inertia had the possibility of turning around after his last appearance in Impulse. When they brought him back he helped orchestrate Bart's death. That wasn't Johns, but then he solidified it by having him turn into a child murderer in Rogues Revenge. Then he was killed by the Rogues.

Then we have Owen Mercer, the second Captain Boomerang. He seemed to have fallen into a perfect niche as a functioning anti-hero, even as a big brother figure towards Supergirl (yes, I know it was the Super Brittney phrase). We never got to explore whatever connection he may have had with Bart and Jenni, and he did try to fix things (at least I think he did) with Tim over what happened to their respective fathers. And then to usher in the return of his dad, Johns wrote Owen as completely willing to feed his Black Lantern father victims because he thought it would bring him back. Including women and children. The Rogues let his dad at him, and he died. And when Digger did indeed come back, he could've cared less about his son, regardless that the two were starting to bond in Identity Crisis.

There's Barry acting OOC, then there's Johns turning Inertia and Owen into child murderers just before he killed them off.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.