Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Warlord (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Warlord
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Grell says that this was planned back during the original run. The signs where there, and the cover to 12 was a dead giveaway, no pun intended. Who hasn't seen the famous painting of the dead indian with a spear through him still sitting on the horse?

Just take away the spear and you've got 12.

But then, he also said that DC owns the character and that they could undo it at any time if they wished, without his consent needed, so....

I personally think it a bold, real move. Like someone said, the greatest legends have ends to their stories.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Just read #12! Wow--that was totally epic! It had the feeling of something major to behold. I'm pretty damn impressed with Grell for having the courage to go forward with his vision and for having such an epic, incredible vision in the first place.

I've been loving this series since the relaunch and I think its just gotten better and better. I'm hooked and want to know more. The scope of the series seems so grand and heroic, like Lord of the Rings and such.

And man, Grell's art is just better than ever. It's almost too beautiful to be contained on the page.

I've got to strongly recommend this comic to anyone looking for something different and of just excellent quality.

I hope DC lets Grell continue to tell his story and stay so bold in the series direction.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
#13 is out. Joshua is off to a good start. The book has a different feel. This might work.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I figured I'd mention this here too, I reviewed Grell's recent John Sable, Freelance miniseries by IDW in the Any Recommendations thread, and I think it was really terrific. If you're really feeling Grell's art these days and are dying for more, I recommend you check it out. It's got all the dynamism and sexiness of Warlord (with nudity! [Big Grin] ).
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
FUCK! Warlord's cancelled with issue 16!

[Mad] [Frown] [Mad] [Frown]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
That's just a shame--I've been enjoying this series immensely and thought it was a breath of fresh air in the comic book industry, and at DC Comics in particular. Mike Grell has been developing some grade A work.

[No]

Man, that sucks. It doesn't help that DC never promoted this at all or anything, too obsessed with their latest crossovers. If this was an Image Comic--and lets face it, its basically a Grell creator-owned series that unfortunately was created an in era before creators owned their creations--it would surely still be going.

[Mad]

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I feel ya Cobie. Maybe Vertigo could pick it up. Their books seems to have a little more leeway there.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Well, I'm going to collect right up until the bitter end to show my support. The series had all the makings to really use the new status quo to tell some exciting new stories and in the recent issues we get to see hints of what might have been.

I'm really enjoying all the new characters Grell introduced in the earlier issues, and how they interact with the older characters and world of Warlord.

I also thought and was hoping the alien 'dragon' might end up being the Faceless Creature, but alas, that was not the case.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll finish the run too. It sure was nice seeing Grell's art in print again, and the truly unexpected (to me anyway) turn in the saga of Travis Morgan was a don't-miss.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I read 14... wish Grell had drawn it. Hope he gets at least 1 more issue in.

For me, it's best this is ending shortly... I really don't think it would have made my cut once the price increase hits.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I read #15 today (at work [Razz] ) and feel more than ever that its a damn shame this title is being canceled. Mike Grell returns to the artwork for the final two issues and this was really quite beautiful. The depictions of Joshua and Alysha riding the hippogrith show that Grell can still really nail it when he wants to.

I also actually am finding the storyline pretty fascinating too. It's not the first piece of fiction to address "Ancient Deities were Space Traveling Aliens" theme but it's still a theme I really enjoy reading about. Plus the Nazca lines in Peru is something I've always found fascinating if it were up to me, I'd want at least one comic book a month to have them involved in the story. I think a science-fiction story was a nice change of pace from the previous arcs and was allowing the new status quo to set-in and for the readers to get to know the newer characters more than ever.

It’s really too bad that won’t be the case! Like I said before, I wish Grell could buy out the Warlord franchise and do it as an independent comic at Image since that was this series basically is anyway. Damn you corporations and your trickery of the 1900’s.

Warlord and the recent Jon Sable series have reaffirmed my love for Mike Grell and letting me appreciate the new material he is producing. I’ll know I’ll be eagerly awaiting where he turns up next so I can follow him there. In the meantime, I committed to the entire series so I’m seeing this to the end.

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
The final issue is out and the series comes to a somewhat rushed ending. I'm not one to judge the quality of a series by its longevity. It was a thrill to see Grell working with these characters again. These 16 issues will have a special place in my collection.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I also got around to reading #16, the final issue today, and like Jerry, I felt I had to comment on the series and how much I'll miss it. Grell obviously rushed to fit in everything he could in the final issue to tie up the story, so it wasn't completely satisfying, but I could put that aside because the art was so tremendous and the love Grell has for these characters just pours through on every page.

It's a damn shame Warlord is being canceled. Again, I wish this was creator-owned and Grell could publish it on his own through IDW or Image.

I'm hoping at least for more Jon Sable to get a Grell fix.

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Like I've said, the good stuff gets canceled...

And the crap sticks around.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Because we only buy the crap, not the good stuff.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.