Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Any recommendations (Page 13)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Any recommendations
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
These days I'm basically collecting every comic in the world, especially independents and Vertigo. So after being genuinely delighted by the new Warlord series by Mike Grell, I decided to pick up the new John Sable, Freelance series by Grell through IDW Entertainment. I know the series history but I've never read any John Sable series before, as I was in the single digits age group in the 80's.

And you know what? Its really freaking good! Grell seems to having a renaissance these days in the quality of his work, even if it seems as if no one is buying it or talking about it. The story is interesting and dynamic, and keeping me curious for more. And the artwork is simply terrific--it seems like he's only gotten better with age, and its better than its ever been. Each page is loaded with interesting layouts, almost popping off the page. He, of course, draws incredibly attractive characters, but has such a unique style that it makes them seem almost normal (which kind of makes them seem even more attractive).

Also, Grell's pencils and inks make the work a little scratchy and then the coloring kind of jumps off the page because of it. Its really kind of dynamic--not sure if thats by design, but I like it.

I think its definitely worth a buy. Good mystery / spy type series with some of the best art in comics these days.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Maybe it's the spirit of the season, but the gory-sexy-funny Last Resort sounds pretty appealing right now. Are you still reading it, Lardi?

Cramey, the last issue of that mini (5 issues in all) came out last week. After I've finished reading it, I'll let you know here what I thought of it as a whole. Then you can decide whether to buy the trade or whatever. I'm perpetually behind in my comics reading (and like it that way!), so expect the review in about a month, 'kay?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I've read little-to-none of Jon Sable; it's one of those indies I missed out on in the '80s. I've always perceived it as being a crime comic not too far off in tone from Grell's Green Arrow run, but I've never been entirely sure. One thing that always confused me was that mask, makeup or whatever he wears on the edges of his face when he's in action. At times I even thought it was just a shading effect. Des, can you (or anyone else who's read Sable) give me some idea of the flavor of the series and character? (and can anyone explain the mask/makeup/shadow-thing on his face? [Confused] )

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

To be honest, I have no idea about the mask/makeup/shadow thing on his face...thus far he hasn't had it on for the first three issues except in flash backs. I'm not familiar enough with the character yet.

From what I've seen thus far (like I said, I've read all of three issues), the closest thing I can compare this to is Grell's Green Arrow. It has the same flavor of being a crime comic with exciting stories and interesting, beautiful characters. Sable is also a pure ladies man with at least four ex-girlfriends / lover interests thus far, so thats comparable to Ollie Queen; Grell does it in such a way though that it doesn't come off as piggish or macho at all, but really endearing. Sable is also older (even referenced in the series) so its similar to how Grell consistently portrayed Ollie as an older man in his 40's going on 50's (even though that obviously no longer applies in DC continuity).

One major difference between Grell's Green Arrow and Grell's Sable is there is a strong connection to Africa in the first two issues and references in the third suggesting there usually are connections to Africa in the series. Sable is aparently there often. So its almost like "what if Grell had just come off doing his Green Arrow run and Warlord run and wanted to tackle the Phantom, but a more crime-based series with little use of costumes" (even though Grell was doing Sable the same time he was doing Green Arrow).

I really think its worth a glance. The artwork was noticably excellent. It stood out as some of the best art of the year in any comic book for me, and I usually focus on the writing.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

This morning I read a comic that was so good it made the jump from the "Random Review Corner" to an "Any Recommendations" review. It was Zorro from Dynamite Entertainment.

I picked up Zorro based on the strength of Matt Wagner's writing on Madame Xanadu which has been simply excellent. I've always known Wagner was an enormously talented writer but for whatever reason have not been reading a lot of his stuff over the last few years. But his recent work has been good enough to get me to search out what he's doing. Like most of us, I'm familiar with Zorro, but I've actually never collected any Zorro-related material. Even though I've been curious to check out the various Dynamite licensed properties, I never really considered it.

But boy am I glad I did--it was really terrific! Matt Wagner does an excellent job at providing a solid, really awesome adventurer story. The issue I read is #16, which was a done in one story and it reminded me of Jonah Hex--the story wasn't epic or grandiose but a solid excellent story that I'm glad I bought. Its tightly plotted and has a certain 'wow!' factor to it that reminds you of the coolness of comic books. Even better, Wagner writes Zorro in such a way that its distinctly Zorro the character you're reading about--though it reminds me a bit of Batman, there is a distinctive feel to the character to differentiate him from the numerous other masked mystery men in comics and other mediums.

Even better than the writing--which was great--was the artwork by Francesco Francavilla. I've never heard of him before but his work is really awesome! In a lot of ways he reminds me of Joe Kubert (senior) but some subtle changes--not as "ugly" or ferocious, but the same basic style but cleaned up a little (no disrespect to Joe Kubert whose artwork I love). He also did a great job in showcasing beautiful backgrounds, dynamic fight scenes and some great, cheer-worthy depictions of Zorro. I definitely felt like this guy was the real deal.

The comic was good enough to get me to come back for more. It was a 'modern' story in the sense of style but also had the feel of the pulps / radio serial / other mediums of old the character was born from. Great read!

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

^^picked up #14 and #15 as well and they were magnificent. I'm really impressed--I'm going to pick up #17-18 next time I go to the CBS.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

No recommendations in two months? C'mon Legion World, give 'em to us!

I'll have to say that anyone not reading Jonah Hex every month is missing a great story and in danger of being a person I no longer respect, like or want to see live a fruitful life. Jonah Hex is simply smashing all notions that a western comic can't survive, that a series of done in comics can't survive and that a quality comic book can come out every single month. The writing is always tight, the stories are fantastic and the artwork is just a monthly dose of the best thing on the stands.

Not only should you go buy the latest issue, you should go do it right now. Best part? Every issue is a jumping on point.

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I still have to find issue 50. Then we'll see about the rest.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Gotta put in a recommendation for Atomic Robo--anyone not picking this up is really missing the boat. It's a fun series, action-packed, with some great science-fiction and awesomely likable characters. Every issue has hilarious moments. And Robo is just about 100 years old, and his long history makes the larger mythology of the series so fascinating.

Any issue is basically a jumping on point, even mid-miniseries.

Eryk, Lash, Lardy--how are you guys not reading this yet? Especially you, Eryk! This could restore your faith in comics.

Dev and others with kids--this is also a comic that I think kids would love as well, though of course equally enjoyable to adults!

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Grimm Fairy Tales by Zenescope.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Cobie...have you ever read Shamans Tears by Grell? I just found the 8 issues I have from Image. Sable is featured in several of them as well.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Dev, I haven't but I remember my Dad buying at least the first issue, if not the first three. We have a misc. Image box which I wanted to take a look at anyway to review Youngblood, so I'll take a look.

Please review them when you get the chance! What I remember most is the cool logo. I bet it came out in 1993 (my memory is usually pretty good).

Dev - Em
KIA

May 1993 was the first issue. Very good Cobisan.

[ May 09, 2010, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Dev Em ]

profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
"These days I'm basically collecting every comic in the world"

Oh yeah?

My comics mail-order for this month:

BEST OF THE WEST #1 (1999)
HAUNTED HORSEMAN #1 (1999)
THE PRESTO KID #1 (1989)

All 3 of these are reprints from AC Comics, and all 3 feature DICK AYERS art. The original GHOST RIDER, I'm reminded in 2 of these 3 books, was MUCH better than the lame version Marvel tried to foist on readers in 1967, which was too watered-down and "Marvel-ized". (Stan, Roy & Gary apparently felt every comic Marvel published should read like Spidey or DD, even if it was set in the old west.) There's no angst in the 50's comics, there's no lame same-opera, there's no annoying recurring characters who exist for no reason but to get on the hero's nerves... just good characters, heroes, and OUTLAWS. And that's how westerns should be! (heh)

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
JON SABLE FREELANCE was one of the best series from First Comics, one of the best new publishers in the early 80's. It was designed to have a "real world adventure" feel, with Sable being a paid mercenary, like James Bond except on a freelance basis. For quite a lot of issues, month after month, it also featured some of Grell's best artwork. So to me, that puts it heads and shoulders ABOVE Grell's GREEN ARROW run, where I don't recall him ever doing any interior art except for the initial prestige format mini-series. (I STILL have my LONGBOW HUNTERS promo poster hanging on my closet door after all these years!!)

Later, other pencillers took over, during a period where a growing number of writer-artists (Starlin, Byrne, Miller) all got tired of drawing their own stories. Around that time, ABC did a live-action SABLE tv series, but it was rather watered-down from the comic (whose name, stupidly, was changed to reflect the altered name of the tv series-- which only lasted 7 weeks!).

Nice to hear Grell has returned to his "baby" again, I know this isn't the first time he's done so. Wish I could afford it, maybe one of these years...

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.