Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Any recommendations (Page 16)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Any recommendations
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Isn't that the one about the... Adversary?

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Arachne:
LOL Because it's bad or because it's confusing? (Not that I was planning on starting there anyway.)

Nah, I'm just always an advocate of starting at the beginning! [Smile] Hell, I've only read the equivalent of the first 18 issues, anyway. So therefore....

quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:

...I've no clue! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Alright then.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

Yes.

Here's the official publisher's summary:

"Collecting issues #34-41 of writer Bill Willingham's Eisner Award-winning creation, HOMELANDS follows Boy Blue on a mission of revenge as he uncovers the Adversary's true identity! Plus, the 2-part story of Jack's adventures in Hollywood and the one-shot story of Mowgli's return to Fabletown."

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
did anyone get the Manhunter series with Kate Spencer ........ i'm curious, if it's any good.

They did some great things with the supporting cast, including Obsisdian and Cameron Chase.

But I always found the main character to be boring, and the retcons they pulled with Manhunter continuity were unnecessary and unforgivably bad.

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
"Collecting issues #34-41 of writer Bill Willingham's Eisner Award-winning creation, HOMELANDS follows Boy Blue on a mission of revenge as he uncovers the Adversary's true identity! Plus, the 2-part story of Jack's adventures in Hollywood and the one-shot story of Mowgli's return to Fabletown."

Warning to potential Fables readers: Avoid TPB descriptions! One of them (probably the volume after this one), I'm quite certain gives away the Adversary's (the mysterious bad guy in the first uber-arc) identity! It doesn't spell it out, but if you know your fairy tales at all (read: seen a lot of Disney movies), it's TOO big of a clue!

I could be wrong because I don't want to spoil ever detail before I even read them, but it seems likely I'm not!

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Yet the fact that the fans were able to keep it going prove as testament that fans can get things done.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Definitely avoid all Fables blurbs--there are many spoilers that can be given away. You've heard the praise and know the premise...you don't need anymore convincing!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

I also recommend the Hourman series by Tom Peyer. It was the one that focused on the third Hourman, the android one Grant Morrison created, and had Snapper Carr as a co-star.

The late 90s really was a beacon of originality over at DC.

Hourman, Resurrection Man, Young Heroes in Love, Relative Heroes, Birds of Prey...

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Yeah, there's a big spoiler in lots of blurbs, I'd imagine, that would easily spoil the first trade's twist. [Yes]

--------------------

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

quote:
I also recommend the Hourman series by Tom Peyer. It was the one that focused on the third Hourman, the android one Grant Morrison created, and had Snapper Carr as a co-star.

Hourman, Resurrection Man, Young Heroes in Love, Relative Heroes, Birds of Prey...

I'll second all this and add Chase, Chronos, Challengers of the Unknown, and Starman.

Great stuff that mostly wasn't rewarded with great sales.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
quote:

I'll second all this and add Chase, Chronos, Challengers of the Unknown, and Starman.

Great stuff that mostly wasn't rewarded with great sales.

Hitman, too! [Yes]

Though it reads seamlessly, I think DC pressured Garth Ennis to wrap it up somewhat sooner than he'd planned, IIRC. Never was the blockbuster seller it deserved to be.

--------------------

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

If I ever start writing at DC I want to harken back to these books. God knows SOME of them were dark, but they weren't all bloody.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Lot of great series you guys mentioned.

The Hitman final issue actually made me tear up.

Chase was a solid series--whatever happened to D. Curtis Johnson? Did he leave comics all together? I actually used to read his blog back in '99.

Chronos was great and a lot of fun. It never had a chance but bravo for the attempt.

Hourman was fun but sometimes it would drag IMO. I was thinking about Hourman III the other day though. He was a GREAT character. I like Rick a lot but its a shame Ty is no more. Easy way to fix though.

The 90's get a bad rap and deservedly so, but DC always had a few really original and exciting series throughout the entire decade. Ostrander's Spectre earlier on, the Ray by Priest and others.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Ostrander's Spectre earlier on...

Oh GAWD, yes!

quote:
....the Ray by Priest
This one I definitely liked for a while. Seemed like it sputtered after a year or so, so I wasn't all that upset when it got cancelled. Ray coulda been the next big teen hero if allowed to grow.

--------------------

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.