Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Any recommendations (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Any recommendations
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
X-Men Noir, from the OCtober Previews, actually has me interested. It would be the first X-Men comic I bought in I don't know how many years. There's also a Spiderman and Daredevil Noir. All 4-issue specials. I might get them all just for the pretty pictures.

news release blurb

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Dennis Calero is supposed to be drawing X-Men: Noir, if that sweetens the deal for anyone... [Yes]

CBR's Marvel Solicitations for 12/08

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I went to a comic book store I usually don't visit to get plastics and figured it'd be a good time to shop around for 'oddities' that I don't normally get (so I wouldn't cheat on my reg store), but I couldn't find the Astounding Wolf-Man there.

I don't know if most stores order just a few copies, or what. After getting the TPB, I was interested in the ongoing title. On the day issue #8 came out a few weeks ago, I got to my store around lunchtime, and there was only one copy on the shelf. The guy at the counter said they only ordered two, and the other copy was for another customer who had it on his pull list.

I picked up the copy on the shelf, and put the title on my own pull list for future issues.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

I'm still itching to try Dark Horse, Image, Vertigo and other independent titles but I need reccomendations. Years and years of independent publishers crumbling and coming out mucho infrequently have left me jaded to just try anything.

Cobie, Dark Horse has been getting a lot of my money lately. I tried a few books that looked interesting and some that were in trade, and so far none of them have disappointed me.

The Umbrella Academy - this one is a given. It’s just fun Silver Age superheroics with a shot of modern cynicism. You get teen angst, over the top action, insane villains, and the occasionally WTF! I know you like Morrison’s run on BATMAN, and this has a similar vibe with respect to comic book history.

B.P.R.D. – this is the Hellboy team. They handle paranormal threats. It’s got a dark humour to it, and the soap opera feel is akin to Spidey’s. Not as heavy on the big bang action, it’s more horror themed. Start with the 3rd trade if you can, it’s got a full story and really starts the ongoing series run. The first 2 are a collection of anthologies highlight the different cast members.

The End League – this is “Days of Future Past” the ongoing. It’s superheroes fighting a losing battle. The bad guys have won our post-apocalyptic world and there’s no hope. It’s a heavier read, the characters are obvious analogs, but it’s does for super heroes now what the LSH did for them in the 60’s and 70’s- progresses them. Think 5YG.

Grendel - Matt Wagner writing Batman! Only this Batman is a bad guy!

Solomon Kane – just the first issue out, based on the literary character. It’s horror, with a seemingly DEVOUT religious man for the lead in a Van Helsing role. I like it enough to keep trying it.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bicycle Repair Man
Deputy

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Bicycle Repair Man   Email Bicycle Repair Man         Edit/Delete Post     
P.S.238 by Aaron Williams, about an elementary school for kids with super powers. The early issues can be read for free at www.ps238.com so you can get some idea if it suits your tastes before spending $$ on it.
A note: the earliest stories deal with the establishment of the school, and therefore focus on the faculty and staff. Once the school is open, the storytelling focus gradually shifts to the students.

--------------------
"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...

From: Monty Python's Flying Circus | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Ceej, thanks for the reccomendations! Comic book reading has hit an interesting transition for me. Whlie I feel Marvel is superior to DC for the first time in my lifetime, I've devoted an actual large portion of my time in the CBS to find independent titles I can follow but don't make me commit to an actual company (since Crossgen and multiple others still linger in my mind).

End League sounds cool, as does B.P.R.D. and Solomon Kane! Definitely keep me updated on any other titles you try out and I'll do the same! How far along is End League? I'm always hoping I can catch it from the beginning.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

PS - Eryk, you still picking up issues of the Lone Ranger? If so, how is it? The art at least looks great.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Nope. Haven't picked up any comics in ages.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Its amazing--I've never seen so many Legion Worlders so discouraged / ambivalent / 'just not buying comics' at the same time before. I'm in that category too. At lot of it I blame on DC Comics.
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Its amazing--I've never seen so many Legion Worlders so discouraged / ambivalent / 'just not buying comics' at the same time before. I'm in that category too.

Not me! Since I started going to the new CBS that opened nearby, I've been in hog heaven! I keep having to resist the urge to buy everything that peaks my interest. Maybe it's just all those years of withdrawal after my longtime CBS closed in 2000, but I've rarely picked up something and regretted it since the shop opened (actually, I can't think of any eggs laid at all). The key is to read reviews and get plenty of recommendations before spending your hard-earned moolah. Word-of-mouth hasn't done me wrong yet!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The reason I didn't mention you by name Lardy is for the most part, by and large, we *usually* have similar tastes in the titles we buy, specifically DC & Marvel. Several times I've noticed that when a comic goes to shit, you and I both notice right away, and when a sleeper hit is kicking ass (Priest Black Panther, anyone?) we're both on board.

Sooooo...what comics are you absolutely going ape over lately? Both DC, Marvel and any independents (what I'm especially interested in). How is Iron Fist with the new team?

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Nope. Haven't picked up any comics in ages.

So wrong...
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Isn't it? [No] [sigh]

EDE had such potential... [sigh]

I, of course, blame the Titans. [Wink]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Echo by Terry Moore isn't grabbing me as quick as SiP did (One issue and i was hooked), but its more sci-fi intrigue than what SiP was.

But, with his writing and art, it don't hurt to read it.

Finally asked my local cbs to just get me the final tpb of SiP. Wasn't ever going to get the end waiting on them to find it. Disappointing, but whatcha gonna do?

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Anyone that enjoyed Morrison's Doom Patrol, and especially anyone that enjoyed Rachel Pollack's Doom Patrol, I reccomend 'Young Liars' by Vertigo. Its probably the weirdest, most non-sensical comic series in 15 years. And its good!
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.