Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Any recommendations (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Any recommendations
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Vertigo's new "House of Mystery". I picked up the first issue. A good mix of Sandman and the classic House of Mystery style.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
My positive review of House of Mystery #1 right here! I thought the second issue was also great!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I recommend the recently released trade Iron Man: War Machine. Back in the early 90s, I followed Iron Man off and on when the team of Len Kaminski & Kevin Hopgood were on the book. This may be the most underrated run on Iron Man to date -- they introduced promising new technology, new villains, new status quo...the early 90s had a lot of good stuff that fell through the cracks. In fact, I don't think it got really bad until the mid 90s -- and I also think that a lot of well-received stuff from the late 90s is nostalgic piffle, the comic book equivalent of a rock and roll oldies revue. I'm hoping that if Iron Man: War Machine sells well enough, they'll reprint the rest of Kaminski & Hopgood's run, or at least up to # 300.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
House of Mystery #1 I thought was disgusting, which immediately made me skip the book.

A really great read I can only recommend to anyone: The Graphic Novel "Box Office Poison" by Alex Robinson. Great coming of age story including a very critical view at the comic book industry... it's some years old but stands the test of time [Smile]

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
[repost from "Immortal Iron Fist" thread, in case anyone skips that one, but checks out this one]

I just got caught up on Immortal Iron Fist with the second HC and 15-17. And you know what? This may be the single very best title Marvel is currently putting out, possibly better than any of DC's stuff as well!

One thing I absolutely love about it is that so far, Marvel's allowing the title to be self-contained, no crossovers or suped-up hype. I love the sense of history the title has to it. I love the mysticsm. I love the martial arts. I loooove the characters!

And you know what else? Having read #17 with the new creative team, I don't think it's gonna miss a beat! Unknown talents Duane Swierczynski and Travel Foreman are very wisely building on the storylines and narrative flow that superstars Brubaker, Fraction and Aja established instead of tearing it down as so many others have. Example: the flashbacks to previous Iron Fists are apparently here to stay!

So if you've never tried this excellent comic or dropped it because Brubaker and Fraction left sight unseen--SHAME ON YOU!!! (Cobester, I'm lookin' at you since this title's never appeared on your pull-list! [No] )

So pick up the first trade, at least. And if ya like what you saw here, I GUARANT-DAMN-TEE ya, you'll like everything that comes after!! (An' if the new creative team jumps the shark, I'll tell ya!)

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Well, I picked up the first several issues of Iron Fist and ultimately decided to drop it when I hacked and slashed a lot of Marvel titles off our list. Even though Bru is by far my favorite writer at Marvel right now, it just wasn’t really grabbing me. It wasn’t bad, but at the end of the day, I’d often forget about adding to my pile more weeks than not and when I got around to finally doing so, it wasn’t giving me any really big reason to want to add another issue. But hey, maybe it picked up steam and I’d enjoy it more if I read several issues in a row. It is Brubaker, after all, and he writes what I consider to be Marvel’s (2) best comics: Daredevil & Captain America (which is the best comic on the market IMO besides Fables, even more so than JSA).

I like Iron Fist, and he has a striking visual, but I don’t *love* the character or have a long-standing attachment to him like I do Iron Man, Thor, Daredevil, the Falcon etc. Still, I don’t dislike him either, but it doesn’t work in his favor.

BTW, are YOU reading Daredevil or Cap? Because you may end up missing a title you’ll love!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

BTW, are YOU reading Daredevil or Cap? Because you may end up missing a title you’ll love!

If by YOU, you mean ME, of COURSE I read Cap and DD! Don't be ridiculous! [Smile]

I was always more of a casual Iron Fist fan like you, but they've deepened his mythos so much that the title is definitely a must-read. I will say that the comic is more story-centric than character-centric. In a way Cap & DD are more story-centric too, so that's probably not a problem for Bru-fans of his Marvel work.

BTW, anyone who enjoys Brubaker's work and hasn't checked out Sleeper-- [No] Sleeper, IMO, is still Brubaker's very best work, even considering Cap.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chemical King:
A really great read I can only recommend to anyone: The Graphic Novel "Box Office Poison" by Alex Robinson. Great coming of age story including a very critical view at the comic book industry... it's some years old but stands the test of time [Smile]

I loved Box Office Poison when I read the individual issues in the late '90s. Robinson's art style is on the cartoony side, but his characters and the situations they experience are very much slice-of-life, and will resonate with many twentysomethings -- especially ones who live or have lived in NYC.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

One of my favorite recent graphic novels is Night Fisher, by R. Kikuo Johnson. It's set in small-town Hawaii, and follows a teenager in the waning days of high school, dealing with his father, friends, and various temptations.

The black-and-white artwork is painterly, and the pace easygoing -- a good break from the cape-and-cowl stuff.

Stu
Time Trapper

A recent favorite TPB is Star Wars Tales Vol. 5. It has tons of great stories for both die-hard and casual Star Wars fans, and a lot of unique contributions from artists of a more indie bent -- such as Peter Bagge, Gilbert Hernandez, Tony Millionaire, Chris Eliopoulos, Jim Campbell, and Rick Geary. Sno Cone did the color and lettering for a number of the stories.

Lots of quirky, far-out, and funny stuff, and more than worth the cover price (although you can get it for significantly cheaper on Amazon).

Stu
Time Trapper

I picked up the first TPB of the Astounding Wolf-Man title, and I've really enjoyed it so far. I'd seen the book on the shelf a while back, but I figured I'd missed so many issues that it wasn't worth going back to try to get them all.

The TPB solves that problem. As a bonus, there are quite a few pages of sketches and other artwork at the end.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Stu, is that one of the 'new' comics coming from Image? Is Kirkman writing that, or someone else? I saw it too recently in solicits but not at my comic shop. Looked interesting.
Stu
Time Trapper

It's an Image title and I guess it's relatively new, but there have been at least seven or eight issues. I'm not sure how many more issues have come out beyond the ones in the TPB.

And yes, the astounding hairy Wolf-Man is written by the amazing furry Kirk-Man!

Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Now for something which really moved me deeply while reading it last night:

Alex Robinson - again - "Too cool to be forgotten"

A 120 page new graphic novel by the author of Box Office Poison and Tricked. It is very emotional and is bound to inspire a memory flash for everyone reading it, as the "hero" of the story gets transferred back to his high school days.

It is a wonderful homage to our teenage days, but still very mature in its approach and has a wonderfully emotional ending. I was very moved by this one, highly highly recommended (available via Top Shelf, I guess).

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I went to a comic book store I usually don't visit to get plastics and figured it'd be a good time to shop around for 'oddities' that I don't normally get (so I wouldn't cheat on my reg store), but I couldn't find the Astounding Wolf-Man there.

I'm still itching to try Dark Horse, Image, Vertigo and other independent titles but I need reccomendations. Years and years of independent publishers crumbling and coming out mucho infrequently have left me jaded to just try anything.

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.