Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Any recommendations (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Any recommendations
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
CRISIS ON MULTIPLE EARTHS VOLUME 3

One of the few things I consider a positive effect of the current Crisis is that it's moved DC to reprint its earliest Crisis stories, originally from JLA during the 60s and 70s.

Volumes 1 and 2 are a bit too old-fashioned for my tastes, but I did buy Volume 3, and I love it more with every read. Most of these stories are written by Len Wein, they are all penciled by the late Dick Dillin, and many of them are beautifully inked by Dick Giordano. Wein, with the guidance of the late, great editor Julius Schwartz, brought into the DCU the original Seven Soldiers of Victory, as well as the (now much-missed) Freedom Fighters, and he inadvertently anticipated a JSA plot strand (by almost 30 years) with his story about the Golden Age Sandman's sidekick.

The best story here is probably Crisis on Earth X, with the Freedom Fighters, but they're all great fun, and they stand the test of time very well. Get this TPB while you still can.

And I'll second this one! I actually have access to the original issues right now (there on display on my Dad's 'comic book basement wall'). I read all the way up to the 7 Soldiers one (which I'm saving for the weekend). I think they get better with each one, as additional JSAers come out of limbo. The best part is the interaction b/t the two teams and how there really is a sense of a gradually growing friendship between them (Superman even says "perhaps a JLA-JSA team-up will solve the problem?").

Cool things to note: the Red Tornado! The GLs (Alan and Hal) sending Aquarius into the negative dimension! Thunderbolt and Johnny arguing, and the Thunderbolt even giving the whole JSA back talk! E2 Atom bending down to shake E1 Atom's hand after their first meeting--for some reason that visual struck me as a very 'if I was ten years old I would cherish this panel' moment.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rokk
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rokk   Email Rokk         Edit/Delete Post     
Here would be some of my recommendations:

Marvel
Moon Knight. The first issue was just amazing. This read like the original Moon Knight by Doug Moenich and Bill Sienkiewicz. Charlie Huston has a great feel for the characters and David Finch's artwork fits this title like a glove.

Captain America. I have never liked Cap, but Ed Brubaker is so incredible that he has made this one of the Top 3 titles out right now. Steve Epting's art fits Brubaker's tone perfectly.

Daredevil. Yet another Ed Brubaker title. I liked Bendis' run on this title. I like Brubaker's run even better. I'd have to say that Daredevil is also one of the best comics out right now. And even though Michael Lark's art isn't my favorite style, Lark's art fits this title.

X-Factor. This title is a little off-beat. And that is why that aside from Astonishing X-Men, this is the best X-title out there. David's writing is entertaining. The art is a bit inconsistent.

Astonishing X-Men. This is how the X-Men should be written. Whedon is making this title just a blast to read. And the last issue? Wow. Great stuff.

Squadron Supreme. Stracsynski is weaving a fantastic story on this title. The characters are all so interesting. I hate to make this reference, but this title has a nice Watchmen-esque feel to it while still retaining plenty of originality. Gary Frank's art is perfect for this title.

Ultimate Spider-Man. This title is just pure entertainment. Candy for the brain. It delivers each and every month. The most consistently good title out there.

DC
Batman and Detective Comics. This title has done a great job with the OYL storyline. Robinson has crafted a very interesting story. Plus, soon Grant Morrison will take over Batman and Paul Dini will take over Detective Comics. I cannot wait to read Morrison's Batman.

Teen Titans. Geoff Johns has taken the OYL storyline and run with it like a madman. There is so much going on with this title. It is one of the more exciting comics to read.

Green Lantern. Again, Geoff Johns has really made the most of the OYL storyline than most other authors. Good story plus good art equals a great read.

Checkmate. If you like international espionage then this is the title for you. Mix in some cool JSA'ers like Alan Scott and Mr. Terrific with a splash of second string JLA in Fire and you have a title with lots of potential. I liked Greg Rucka's first issue and I thought that Saiz's art was nice.

--------------------
http://comicbookrevolution.blogspot.com/

From: Va. Beach | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
BLACK PANTHER's 40th Anniversary!

Solicited in this month's PREVIEWS:

MARVEL'S GREATEST COMICS: FANTASTIC FOUR #52

Now here's something cool. I have #53, and as some may know, the still-recent MASTERWORKS book that reprinted that shot that story from the original art, so for once, the reprint looked BETTER than the original comic!

In the case of #52, I have the 1970's MGC reprint (fuzzy) and the still-recent MASTERWORKS (also fuzzy). But I never tracked down an original comic.

Now here's the REALLY cool part. The upcoming reprint is going to be shot off THE ORIGINAL COMIC! Sure, not as good as the original art-- but still, bound to be WAY better than the previous reprints!

I loved it when they did those 2 1940's HUMAN TORCH comics this way, and have said on several occasions I wish they'd do more like it. Maybe someone's been listening?

[Smile]

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Been awhile since I shilled for the Dead so:

BUY THE WALKING DEAD!

Also:

Jonah Hex
Moon Knight
Captain America

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
This just sounds like fun!
Ursa Minors

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
This month in PREVIEWS:

AGENTS OF AXIS -- a story set in the 1950's Marvel U.

STRANGE WESTERNS: THE BLACK RIDER -- Steve Englehart, Marshall Rogers & Terry Austin ride again! YEE-HAH!

ESSENTIAL PUNISHER Vol.1 -- from his debut in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #129 on up. Conway, Andru, etc. etc. Spidey's book may have been depressing and miserable at the time, but that only made The Punisher fit right in!

IRON MAN MASTERWORKS Vol.3 -- at last, GENE COLAN's run is getting reprinted in Masterworks form! ASTOUNDING visuals... even if you were getting a lot less story per episode than with Don Heck. (Stan who?)

SouthtownKid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthtownKid   Email SouthtownKid         Edit/Delete Post     
My latest loud recommendation would be:

THE GOLDEN AGE HAWKMAN Archive Edition volume 1.

I love this book! For some reason, I'm finding that a lot of DC's Golden Age material holds up better for me than the Silver Age stuff. As crude as it sometimes is here and there, I litterally have no idea what's about to happen as I turn the pages... And there's a real sense of adventure and FUN.

A lot of the comics from the Silver Age were definitely better crafted (plots better structured, art more polished), but that sometimes lead to things being a bit dry (imo). I don't notice that happening while reading this Golden Age stuff. Mostly what I notice is myself saying, "W-what...?!" to an empty room, as I read the stories.

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

From this month's PREVIEWS...

Essential TALES OF THE ZOMBIE -- stories that the Comics Code FORBID, even after they changed the Code to allow for vampires, werewolves, etc.!!! From TOTZ #1-10 and DRACULA LIVES #1-2.

Big Bang presents: SUPER FRANKENSTEIN -- I'm not making this up!! I've got EVERY BB comic to date, naturally I'll be getting this one.

Simpsons' TREEHOUSE OF HORROR -- this year's edition features the work of Kyle Baker, Terry Moore & Eric Powell. WOW!

E-MAN RECHARGED -- from Digital Webbing, original creators NICK CUTI & JOE STATON reunite once again! Yee-hah!

BACK ISSUE #18 -- this issue devoted to GREEN LANTERN. As I'm buying 2 GL books for the first time in 15 years, I figured I might as well go for it.

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Castle Waiting a hardcover collection of the original comic (published by Fantagraphics) might be of interest to Fables fans. I certainly enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to! A princess on the run finds refuge in a peculiar castle, filled with other beings, whose pasts unfold as the story proceeds. It's the usual fairy tale mix of humans and animal-type people (with a charming demon thrown in), in a medieval setting. All ages, but the characters are interesting enough and the story has enough twists and turns to keep older readers turning the pages.

There is the official (creator's) site but more info about the story, characters and artwork can be found at this site.

[ July 19, 2006, 05:22 AM: Message edited by: Fat Cramer ]

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick Vinson
Libertarian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Vinson   Email Nick Vinson         Edit/Delete Post     
Plastic Man Archives Vol 1

This is truly a strange and wonderful creation. I find myself staring in disbelief at some pages, because Jack Cole's villians are sometimes grotesque and odd but always wonderfully created. And while I was expecting a goofy JLA-esque Plas, that is NOT THE CASE! No. Instead we have a rather straight forward hero who lapses into goofiness here and there. There is a definite draftmanship to Cole's work as the volume progresses. and the stories, while at first almost cookie cutter, come alive once the page count increased(by this point Plastic Man was a feature and not a back-up) and when Woozy is introduced the tales go great Guns.

Worth the 50 bucks. Especially for the Toth cover.

--------------------
-Nick-

Is Civil War over with yet?

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

I got a couple items in today I thought I'd pass on...

BIG BANG PRESENTS #1 -- Gary Carlson has resumed publishing BB under his own label, hoping for a bi-monthly schedule. First up, "Protoplasman", a Jack Cole tribute with art by Mort Todd, and a new "Knight Watchman" story which has to be seen to be believed-- and maybe not even then. It's a WILL EISNER tribute, and it's SO authentic, you'd SWEAR Mike Ploog must have done it! This Jeff Austin guy is AMAZING!!!

CHIPS WILDE: THE WILD ONE! -- new graphic novel from Dick Ayers. The art is really on the "rough" side, but I've been admiring his stuff all over again so much the last 2 years, I couldn't pass it up.

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Ranking on Constantine: an upcoming project which I'd recommend just because Rankin is one of my favourite mystery writers (and Constantine is okay too).

from LiTG -
Ian Rankin, crime novelist and author of such titles as "Knots And Crosses," adapted as the "Rebus" TV series for the BBC, announced at the Edinburgh Book festival that he is to write a comic book project for Vertigo.

Further investigation reveals it is a John Constantine project, with Constantine pitched as a pulp-fiction style private eye who happens to deal with supernatural clients.

I understand the introduction happened through current "Hellblazer" writer Denise Mina.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Birds of Prey still continues to be good, and Squadron Supreme really has me hooked. I would definitely recommend the SS.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
At mid-October 2006, a few months post-Crisis and mid Civil War:

My Top 5-ish DC Reccomendations:
Aqauaman
Green Lantern
Teen Titans
Batman & Detective Comics
Superman & Action Comics
Birds of Prety

My Top 5-ish Marvel Reccomendations:
Hulk
Daredevil
Captain America
Uncanny X-Men
Runaways
Ultimate Fantastic Four

Other Reccomendations:
Fallen Angel - just when I thought this couldn't get any better, it suddenly has.

Fables - ditto

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I'd recommend Dynamite's The Lone Ranger series to anyone who's enjoying Jonah Hex!

I picked up the first two issues the other day, and they're pretty cool!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.