Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Any recommendations (Page 9)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Any recommendations
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So is anyone checking out the whole "Project Superpowers" thing from Dynamite Entertainment? With all those Alex Ross covers and other things.

I've been pretty busy in 2008 so I really only started paying attention to the articles, covers and shelf-space of these comics within the last month or so. Anyone reading them? They sure look pretty but I know next to nothing about them story-wise or if they are of any quality.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Random thoughts:

Armed Forces – by Kyle Baker, Image Comics – wow, anyone pick this up? Talk about way over the top parody of war, ‘selling the war’, and American culture in general while remaining poignant and at times realistic. This is probably the most controversial thing I’ve read in quite a number of years even if no one seems to be engaging in the controversy other than a handful of critics. It was definitely eye-opening, especially #3 which is where I came in, what with all mutated, disfigured, orphaned children trying to cannibalize prisoners and all. Worth a buy though.

Ghost Rider – Scooter or anyone…still buying this? I’ve heard good things with Jason Aaron coming on board, but I’ve never bought an ongoing Ghost Rider series in my life.

Project Superpowers – So I guess no one is reading? Or no one checking this thread? [Big Grin] The concept seems really cool but I’ve read mixed reviews. Plus, didn’t Alan Moore do this with Terra Obscura already?

Incredible Hercules – buy this title! You’ll love it!

Jonah Hex – buy this title! You’ll love it!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I’m not a fan of Ross and his opinions on comics. That alone has me avoiding the Superpowers line. It does sound like interesting work he and Joe Casey are doing.

I gave the last 4 issues of Captain America a try, Bru’s run being so well received. It’s good work, and an example of the diversity I keep expecting from DC. So these recommendation threads just might be working…

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I'm not too familiar with his views outside comics but I generally find his writing to be a little weak, though obviously his art is terrfiic. That's kept me from checking it out, as has the fact that I have no real idea what the overall story is about beyond the concept of reintroducing these characters, which isn't enough to win me over by itself. I was hoping someone could give me a 'they're great!' or a 'they're terrible!' reccomendation and I'd move on [Big Grin]
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Re: Armed Forces - I'm a big Kyle Baker fan but this one looked a little raw to me (the previews; I haven't read any of the issues). They say everything is funny eventually but I didn't know if I was ready for laughs about the War on Iraq. But maybe I'll check it out, since I'm already scheduled to beat you up if I don't like Four Eyes. Gosh, I've got to get to the CBS soon!

Right now I'm slavishly devoted to Dungeon by Lewis Trondheim and Joann Sfar. It's a paperback series about a world inhabited by strange funny-animal type characters (for adults). A weird and funny satire on fantasy stories and contemporary society.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

FC, I think 'raw' is the perfect way to describe Armed Forces. I'll admit that if I hadn't have been in the mood for something weird and controversial I might have ended up hating it. Right now, since I've been in that mood, I definitely found it interesting, and ended up going back and picking up the first issue.

And jeez, now not only will I have to owe you and Blockade Boy more than the cover price for Four Eyes, I might get beat up too! [Big Grin]

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Cobester, have you tried Invincible yet? I was thinking about you as I read the latest batch of Invincible trades my wife got me for Christmas (YAY, wife!). Why? Because I know how much of a Spidey fan you are! Invincible has everything that you loved so much from the classic Stan Lee/Ditko/Romita years--subplots, romance, great villains, epic stories--without ever seem derivative or plagiaristic of it. It's the kind of title Spidey might have been if it were created this decade instead of in the sixties. Even Ultimate Spider-man seems a tired, slow also-ran next to what our boy Kirkman is doing with this series! It's as fresh as Spidey used to be!

Try it...alla ya!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

CJ did me a big favor when I was leaving San Diego that day and gave me the first trade of Invincible to take home. I thought: not bad! But it wasn't enough to 'wow' me yet...however, that still being said, I've heard from a few sources (like Vee), that the series definitely gets much better as it goes on. Is that a fair assessment, Lardy?

I was considering picking up the latest issue because it crosses over with Astounding Wolfman--which is a series I gave one issue a chance but didn't follow up on. I was considering getting these two Kirkman books for this mini-crossover, and seeing if I stick with Invincible. I also see there's this major issue to come with like every Image hero ever in Invincible, which seems like a lot of fun. Invincible is actually the type of comic where I wouldn't mind coming in in the 40's or 50's, so long as I catch a decent jumping on point.

I know you're a big fan of Spidey too so the endorsement helps. And I generally like the 'spirit' of what Kirman is trying to do at Image.

Maybe its time I really gave Invincible a go?

PS - cool gift from the wife!

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

PPS - I assume you saw the thread about 'Four Eyes' and immediately made plans to read it, become hooked and thank me!

(I accept thanks in the form of such posts of yours as the one about Scalped [Big Grin] )

Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been getting Invincible since checking out the fifty cent #0 issue they did back around #23... I snapped up whatever back issues I could and have been ordering it regularly ever since. I know Vee's a big fan as well. Every time the series seems to hit a lull, Kirkman manages to pull it around before too long. Lotsa cool bits lately-- I's trip to the future, Oliver's alien attitude, Mark and Eve's blossoming relationship, Omniman's big reveal about the secret of the Viltrumites... and yes, I'm looking forward to the upcoming pan-Imageverse issue. [Yes]
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
That's more than a fair assessment, Des! Earlier this year, I bought the Vol. 1 Ultimate Collection Hardcover which collected issues 1-13 (combining the first three trades). The issues that comprised what you've read were pretty ordinary. In fact as I read those early chapters, I was wondering what the big deal was.

Then, I got to issue #7. OMG! That issue changes everything and turns everything on its ear!

Des, do NOT read Invincible out of order! It would be a sin! Not only would it probably spoil all the great twists this series offers, but you would be missing out on the juicy slow-build subplots that are touched upon from issue to issue. I remember loving those subplots in Spidey, and Kirkman really has mastered the art form.

Obviously, Invincible's a much different character from Spidey in many ways, but it's definitely kin to the same vibe. One huge difference, though, is that Invincible does have its moments of ultra-violence. But be assured that those moments are well-chosen and always have huge impact.

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Well, jeepers! You just might have saved me some serious spoilers Lardy! Because I was about to forego all trades and just get the latest issue. So I take it the second trade is a MUST READ? That's good news! Like I said, the first trade didn't 'wow' me, so maybe that's what I need.
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Actually, if you decide to get the second trade, you should buy the third with it--REALLY! The big twist happens in the second trade but PAYS OFF in the third trade! Seriously, you'll HATE yourself (again, if it's not already too late [Big Grin] ) if you don't immediately have the third there waiting next to it to plow right into!

Seriously, the major events of those two trades are some of the best moments ever to appear in comics! [Yes]

--------------------

Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, the second trade is THE volume to get, Des. The first six issues are supposed to be almost mundane, as a set-up for the HUGE shocks to come. Consider Vol.1 all build-up, with the payoff in the second TPB.

I wish I'd been reading it as it came out, as the #0 issue DID spoil the surprise for me. [sigh] But it also got me into the series in the first place, so I really shouldn't complain I guess. [Smile]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
PPS - I assume you saw the thread about 'Four Eyes' and immediately made plans to read it, become hooked and thank me!

(I accept thanks in the form of such posts of yours as the one about Scalped [Big Grin] )

Link to said endorsement?

--------------------

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.